Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-18, 09:10 AM
All American

SOARING-EAGLE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown09 View Post
hope the big red are focused a little more on hubbard and a little less on howland.
lmao
Old 11-04-18, 09:14 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Soaring needs to come out and post this week, this is the game Hubbard fans have wanted all year hopefully itís at boardman with good weather this should be a good game to watch. Winner will be the regional champ
Give it time my son give it time....Something or someone has to rub me the wrong way!!
Old 11-04-18, 09:25 AM
All American

Is Bigred a decent passing team?
Old 11-04-18, 10:13 AM
All Region

Springsteen is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
Whoops....I was walking and posting.... Iím just now figuring out how to walk a chew gum! No disrespect intended. Big Red fans get mad at me when I try to show respect to the foe, but I said from week 7 on the Hubbard was the team to beat. Like I said, you havenít been challenged in any of your wins. Going to be a very tough out for The. Mighty Big Red.
Including playoff win last night, Big Red has only beat 3 teams with a winning record this year.
Old 11-04-18, 10:17 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOARING-EAGLE View Post
Starting QB Mitchell(he's a runner,not a passer) was out most of season injured. Backup QB Criss,(better passer) was injured and left the game last evening.
Old 11-04-18, 10:17 AM
All Region

valuska is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOARING-EAGLE View Post
I would have said they pass effectively when required before last nights game against Buchtel. My hope is that this was a one off game for the QB. He didn't come close to his receivers on multiple passes. He completed 62% before this game but last night hit only on 2 of 9 attempts with one interception. They normally only throw the ball to keep the defense from staking the line on every play to stop the run. QB has thrown 10 TD passes but the strength of the team is their line play on both offense and defense. They have a stable of full backs (4) and running backs (4) that have run for over 300 yards per game over they last five games. Their stand out running back has gained over 1200 yards over those five games thanks in part to huge holes opened by the line. They also have big fullbacks that block well but can also run the ball with power. They gained 243 yards on 32 carriers with their running backs and 68 yards on 15 carriers with their fullbacks when Buchtel started keying on the running backs.

Hubbard will have to stop Big Red's running game to have any chance in this game. Steubenville has man-handled bigger offensive and defensive linemen all year and the Eagles will have their hands full in this game. The defensive line and backers sacked Buchtel's QB 12 times in this game and held their running game to -53 yards. Big Red gave up two long passes that both led to scores which has been the major weakness for the team all year. However, with the maximum pressure they put on the QBs have limited the accuracy and scoring opportunities all year with the exception of Penn Hills in game 1 where they lost on three long TD passes.

This should be a fun game to watch. See you all on Saturday.
Old 11-04-18, 10:23 AM
All Region

valuska is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springsteen View Post
Including playoff win last night, Big Red has only beat 3 teams with a winning record this year.
And still finished ahead of Hubbard in Harbin points (both Level 1 &2).
Old 11-04-18, 10:39 AM
All Region

BIG RED
Quote:
Well, if you look at it that way....Buchtel played the way tougher schedule, so they should of won the game. They got baptized!!!
Old 11-04-18, 10:55 AM
All Region

Cannoli137 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpengbuck View Post
Crimson and black,I get what you say about neutral sites but are there any venues that can accommodate not too far from Steubenville that would be fair ?

ICBM,I know Hubbard played Boardman in 79 so it might have been since the 80s however your point is valid.
Looking at years past, besides last years game vs Mooney at Salem, all games vs Youngstown teams, have been played in the Y-Town area like Fitch or Boardman. I really donít see this game being played anywhere else, but OHASS does occasionally shock the heck out of everyone & put these games at unexpected places
Old 11-04-18, 11:04 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED View Post
Well, if you look at it that way....Buchtel played the way tougher schedule, so they should of won the game. They got baptized!!!

1. Big Red was never challenged in their wins?
2. Could this be a weak region?
Old 11-04-18, 11:11 AM
All Region

BIG RED
Quote:
1. Big Red was never challenged in their wins?
2. Could this be a weak region?
1) Possibly Big Red is better then you/people think.
2) Weak region????? Big Red, Hubbard, Perry, Girard

3) You do realize Big Red has been in the state championship game the last 3 years.

4) If this is a weak region...what would you consider the other regions, specifically region 15?
Old 11-04-18, 11:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED View Post
1) Possibly Big Red is better then you/people think.
2) Weak region????? Big Red, Hubbard, Perry, Girard

3) You do realize Big Red has been in the state championship game the last 3 years.

4) If this is a weak region...what would you consider the other regions, specifically region 15?
1. Beating only 3 teams with a winning record, do we REALLY KNOW how good Big Red is?
2. What does 2015,2016, and 2017 seasons have to do with the 2018 season?

3. I'm talking about Region 13 only. Try to stay on topic.
4. Hubbard and Perry have beat 5 teams with winning record this year. Girard has beaten 4.
5. Buchtel beat only 2 teams with winning record.

Last edited by Springsteen; 11-04-18 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 11:39 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
Onto week 12 for Hubbard (10-1) coming off a 51-21 win vs Indian Creek. Steubenville (10-1) took care of a good Buchtel team 38-13. Hubbard cleaned it up after a very subpar 1st half where they only led 28-14. Hubbard has issues in the secondary and will need to clean it up in a huge way to have a chance this week. The Eagles remain strong vs the run. Hubbard didn't miss Morales vs IC. Would be nice to have him this week. Thoughts on location for this one?
Didnít know if I was going to the game or not last night, maybe after we find out where week 12 is going to be played, we can meet up & BS before the game.
With that being said, congratulations to the Eagles on last nights win, now get ready for week 12 vs Big Red.
Creek is a good team, but BR is on a totally different level when it comes to talent & especially coaching. For Hubbard to have any type of success, they have to be able to control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. If not itís going to be a long night for the Eagles.
Buchtel put 8-9 in the box & BR was still able to run with success, against a much larger defensive front. Buchtel fans felt that BR is just handoff left, handoff right, which is easy to defend, but after the 1st Quarter it was clearly visible that Buchtel was in trouble. BR was able to get to the 2nd level (LBís) with their blocks & the FBís were just mowing down the DBís, opening up those running lanes for TDís.
Unlike Creek who wasnít able to do it, I think BR will be able to apply pressure on the Qb for Hubbard (BR had 12 Qb sacks vs Buchtel), but most of all has to be able to contain him & prevent those amazing runs he had vs Creek.
Old 11-04-18, 12:07 PM
All Region

BIG RED
Quote:
1. Beating only 3 teams with a winning record, do we REALLY KNOW how good Big Red is?

4. Hubbard and Perry have beat 5 teams with winning record this year. Girard has beaten 4.
Ok, I give up. According to your logic....the team thatís beat the most teams with winning records is the best team and has the best chance at winning the region as well as the state!
Old 11-04-18, 12:15 PM
Varsity

Foster is on a distinguished road
I read that Hubbard had 12 penalties for 148 yds against IC. Are penalties something they normally have a problem with?
Old 11-04-18, 12:26 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannoli137 View Post
Looking at years past, besides last years game vs Mooney at Salem, all games vs Youngstown teams, have been played in the Y-Town area like Fitch or Boardman. I really donít see this game being played anywhere else, but OHASS does occasionally shock the heck out of everyone & put these games at unexpected places
Mooney and Big Red have played 5 playoff games against each other at Fawcett. One at Fitch, one at Death Valley, one in the Rubber Bowl and the one at Salem.

I saw Big Red play Youngstown Chaney at E. Liverpool. It was several years ago but it was played in Potterville. You did say all games vs. Youngstown teams and looking at years past.
Old 11-04-18, 12:36 PM
All American

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Last regular season game against Boardman was at Boardman in 1979, a 2015 loss for the Eagles.
Old 11-04-18, 12:37 PM
All American

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Hubbard vs Steubenville Big Red

1980 H Steubenville 8-7 Have game article
1981 A Hubbard 3-0 Have game article
2002 A Steubenville 20-7 1st round of D-III Region 9 playoffs at Steubenville

Steubenville leads series 2-1-0.
Total points: Steubenville – 28; Hubbard – 17.
Old 11-04-18, 12:45 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
I remember that 2000 game being hard fought and tight until the end. I don't think there's any secret this week. Hubbard has to stop the big red offense. No one has ran successfully on the eagles this year but this will be their biggest challenge yet by far. I think we have a size advantage on the lines but as others posted, it sounds like Butchel did as well. The Eagles have to play a 1-4 Q complete game. Their best all season. Mosora showed last night he can fill in for Morales for the tough in between tackle yards. Daniel's finally broke out of his shell. Harris is also a hell of a home run hitter. The early forecast shows rain and possibly snow Saturday night in the Boardman Salem area.
Old 11-04-18, 12:52 PM
All World

Without Morales Hubbard had their biggest rushing output of the season last night gaining 495 yards against IC on 48 carries.
Old 11-04-18, 01:11 PM
All World

Just announced online by Rob Metzger. Boardman high will be the official location.
Old 11-04-18, 01:13 PM
Freshman

Steubenburgh is on a distinguished road
Boardman confirmed site for this one via Principal Gorman’s Twitter
Old 11-04-18, 01:16 PM
All World

Maybe I was looking at Fridays forecast. Saturday shows clear and low 30s in Boardman as of now. Always subject to change of course.
Old 11-04-18, 02:09 PM
All Ohio

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Let me answer question number 2....in the past 3 years and through week 11 this year Big Red has played in 16 playoff games. Many of the seniors on this team have played AND practiced an extra 11 games and weeks. Iím not sure most folks realize the value from that additional experience. Not just game experience, but playoff game experience, which any real football fan knows is different from regular season experience. In the playoffs these kids have come from behind, given up leads, faced adverse situations, won championships and lost heartbreaking final games. They have faced going home 16 times in the last 3 years. Reno and most or much of his staff will be coaching their 94th playoff game. Thatís what 2015, 2016 and 2017 have to do with this years game. Reno is 67-26 in playoff games. He wins 72% of his playoff games. Hell, more than half the schools canít win 70% of the time in the first 10 weeks. My turn for a question right?

1 How many playoff games and the threat of going home have Hubbardís Srís played in in their careers.

2. How many playoff games has this Hubbard staff even coached, let alone win.
Iíll hang up and listen to your response.
Old 11-04-18, 02:16 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
Quote:

Youngstown East only beat 3 teams with a winning record. 1 of those was Hubbard. Do we really know how good Hubbard is?
Old 11-04-18, 02:19 PM
All District

bigredfollowing is an unknown quantity at this point
Several good posts. Curious desperation and hope trying to judge the best team by opponents wins, with our only loss coming against a 10-0 Division 2 team who may have the most talented passing attack and balanced offense compared to any school in Ohio.

That being said, Hubbard has one chance, pass deep (quickly) or bait and screen. If you try and wait for plays to develop over the middle or long outs, your quarterback is toast, game is over. If you systematically pass deep and throw early, it will be a slugfest and last possession may win it.

The rare games and teams with Mooney/Hartley college lines and flawless execution and significant depth, come along once in a while in our Division, but our lines this year are so well balanced (between offensive and defensive) and we have untypical depth, can't see many if any Div IV teams triumphing in the trenches.

As far as our passing, Valuska had an excellent comment. I will echo for last night and offer that our passing game is horrendous, maybe the worst in team history (since OHSAA playoff inception). No one can say Mitchell isn't a passing quarterback because he only had one game but at least he can THROW the ball. We have limited depth at WR and a very troublesome secondary, in particular on one side and with the safeties. Secondary does play good run support but pass coverage is non-existent when you go away from Michell. But not worried, as opponents cant figure it out or coaches are too prideful and quarterbacks get too scared to stick with the plan when they get punched and harried.

However, while we have no balanced offense for the first time probably in 15 years, our running attack may be the strongest I have witnessed in 40 years. Our fullback depth and talent may be the best in the state, certainly in Division IV, and how many teams anymore use the fullback routine and regularly on almost every formation and play? Give our coaches credit, they recognized the depth and talent we have at the fullback position (and Crawford has emerged from the "pack" as one of the best running backs in school history and only a junior), and they recognize our passing game stinks since Mitchell went down, and have structured and developed a running attack since Week 2 that is scary and hard to stop.

Boardman is an awesome venue, here's to good weather and a hyped crowd. I know many of us have respect for Hubbard, and it seems no love for Perry on this thread. Hope the Eagles bring a large vociferous crowd, and maybe we can conjure up a home and home in the future.

RRR
Old 11-04-18, 02:24 PM
All World

wghfan
It is at Boardman
Old 11-04-18, 02:36 PM
All Ohio

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Come on now. Criss has done what the staff has asked him to do and more. OK, we don’t have the QB run as an option. But our running game and our OC put Criss in position to make plays in the passing game. Our running game tends to create very open receivers and Mr. Criss can deliver the ball and does just fine in the Big Red offensive scheme.
Old 11-04-18, 02:46 PM
All World

Not many teams in D3/DIV have the line depth the eagles gave this year. That imo can give Hubbard a chance here. The eagles rotate an additional 5 linemen along with their starters to keep guys fresh on both offense and defense. This has allowed Hubbard to wear teams out in a lot of second halves. A lot of the scores Hubbard has allowed this year have been on quick drop back throw it up type plays where the secondary wasn't in position or the receiver made a phenomenal play. Daniel's was on point when throwing vs IC. He'll need to bring that again this week. Without a doubt Hubbard has to throw to win.
Old 11-04-18, 03:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTOWN View Post
Mooney and Big Red have played 5 playoff games against each other at Fawcett. One at Fitch, one at Death Valley, one in the Rubber Bowl and the one at Salem.

I saw Big Red play Youngstown Chaney at E. Liverpool. It was several years ago but it was played in Potterville. You did say all games vs. Youngstown teams and looking at years past.
Your memory is better then mine, lol. I remember that Chaney vs Big Red game @ East Liverpool, had my company vehicle towed for parking near Rt 7
Closed Thread