Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Pick the winner of this game
McKinley (9-2) 25 37.88%
Mentor (10-1) 41 62.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-18, 01:41 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Not sure where this "young" defense thing started for McK

Yes they have many spots in the secondary with sophs

but the majority of the front are seniors????? and by week 12 how young are they really
Old 11-08-18, 01:50 PM
Moderated User

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Mentor will absolutely dominate mck in the trenches. Iíll be shocked if mck has 100 yds rushing.
Old 11-08-18, 02:25 PM
Varsity

menfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeartheNeer View Post
I think Mentor probably has to be the favorite in this game but by not anywhere close to a blowout like many posters are claiming. I believe that this is most definitely a winnable game for the Pups. It has to bring some confidence to the players that Mentors only lose was to Solon. I firmly believe that McKinley and their offense can hang with anyone in the state when things are clicking. They have some big time playmakers on the outside with Woody, Ross, and Reardon. Curtis can put these young men in positions to be successful. This game will depend on the Pups ability to steal possessions from the Cards. Either through turnovers, or timely stops. The Pups have a young but talented defense, and have consistently improved over the course of the year, but have struggled with the run at times. If McKinley plays to their ability they can surely make a game out of this one, and potential play the upsetter to the Cards looking to return to the state finals again this year.

I have never put any faith in "we beat so and so and you lost to them so we will beat you" theory. There are teams that match up better vs. other teams and schemes and that is what makes the biggest differences. With that said Mck beating Solon is not small potatoes. They beat a legitimate D1 powerhouse and kind of easily while Mentor struggled (and lost), albeit without their starting qb. No excuses here but the Solon team Mck beat was not the same team early in the season. They have had a history recently of playing well early and falling apart at the end. The losses to Euclid and Medina are good examples as was the struggle with Shaker Heights.

So as I mentioned before we will see how the teams match up head to head and from that we will be able to see who is most successful.
Old 11-08-18, 04:44 PM
All Region

JJBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by menfan View Post
I have never put any faith in "we beat so and so and you lost to them so we will beat you" theory. There are teams that match up better vs. other teams and schemes and that is what makes the biggest differences. With that said Mck beating Solon is not small potatoes. They beat a legitimate D1 powerhouse and kind of easily while Mentor struggled (and lost), albeit without their starting qb. No excuses here but the Solon team Mck beat was not the same team early in the season. They have had a history recently of playing well early and falling apart at the end. The losses to Euclid and Medina are good examples as was the struggle with Shaker Heights.

So as I mentioned before we will see how the teams match up head to head and from that we will be able to see who is most successful.
I totally agree. Good luck to both teams!

Go Pups!
Old 11-08-18, 07:03 PM
All District

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
The Mentor offensive tackles are fantastic. One side is Ohio State bound, the other Michigan State. RB Trobel darts out behind them and before the defense knows it, he's gained 10+ yards. Then Kipp runs wild if you focus on Trobel.

Then there's Potter on the defensive side for the Cardinals. The kid had a sack against Ignatius AFTER his helmet popped off. He can't be single teamed and often beats the double.

Say what you want about the below average Ignatius offense, but the defense was good and sometimes great. They had a very difficult time slowing down Mentor.

I watched McKinley against Perry and Massillon. The Pups have some real talent, but not nearly in the trenches the way Mentor does.

We'll see what happens. I'll be in Brunswick to see this game.
Old 11-08-18, 07:12 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
I'm hoping for no rain. Don't care about advantages or disadvantages. I'm tired of sitting through it at Mentor and Browns games ! Last week was better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesnt look good. Looks like 30s, rain snow mix and windy. 3 bad fridays in a row, although I guess mentor was ok last week, byers was rain all game. Hopefully a good game, I'll be there. Hoping Cards make it to next week, interested to watch a rematch next week

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-18, 08:26 PM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...No excuses here but the Solon team Mck beat was not the same team early in the season. They have had a history recently of playing well early and falling apart at the end. The losses to Euclid and Medina are good examples as was the struggle with Shaker Heights...
To me, Solon's late season losses are a reflection of their schedule. Simply put, they played their best opponents late in the season the last few years.

The same can be said of McKinley. The past few years, people said McKinley fell apart down the stretch. But, if they played Perry and Massillon the first two weeks of the season, the same people would talk about the great improvements the team made as the season progressed.

As for tomorrow night....McKinley will need a bit of good fortune to pull off the upset, but it's possible.
Old 11-08-18, 08:40 PM
All American

88streaks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
To me, Solon's late season losses are a reflection of their schedule. Simply put, they played their best opponents late in the season the last few years.

The same can be said of McKinley. The past few years, people said McKinley fell apart down the stretch. But, if they played Perry and Massillon the first two weeks of the season, the same people would talk about the great improvements the team made as the season progressed.

As for tomorrow night....McKinley will need a bit of good fortune to pull off the upset, but it's possible.
Good luck to the Pups tomorrow!
Old 11-08-18, 09:04 PM
All Ohio

owencountykentucky is on a distinguished road
McKinley can win this one. Go Bulldogs.
Old 11-08-18, 09:17 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
Not sure where this "young" defense thing started for McK

Yes they have many spots in the secondary with sophs

but the majority of the front are seniors????? and by week 12 how young are they really
By week #12, they've gained experience, but a sophomore body in week #12 is the same as it was in week #1. Good, bad, or indifferent, the leading tacklers on the defense include three sophomores and a junior. Add to that the fact that 10 of the 11 defensive players are first year starters, and you indeed have a "young" defense. It is what it is.
Old 11-08-18, 09:30 PM
All District

spyros1950 is on a distinguished road
Being UNDERsized, UNDERloved, and the UNDERdog, what is not to love?... Make'em UNDERstand!... Go Pups... (Go Tigers)... sam McK'68
Old 11-09-18, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat97 View Post
Doesnt look good. Looks like 30s, rain snow mix and windy. 3 bad fridays in a row, although I guess mentor was ok last week, byers was rain all game. Hopefully a good game, I'll be there. Hoping Cards make it to next week, interested to watch a rematch next week

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Weather was fine for Week 11. Week 8, 9, and 10 were all horrible Friday night weather. Four out of the last five are pretty wet. Lots of rain in all and some strong wind during Week 9 especially. Overall, pretty miserable Friday nights lately. Doesn't help attendance. The players will play, but the fans (present company included) won't be as comfortable as we would like.
Old 11-09-18, 08:37 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
The past few years, people said McKinley fell apart down the stretch. But, if they played Perry and Massillon the first two weeks of the season, the same people would talk about the great improvements the team made as the season progressed.
That is funny and true.
Old 11-09-18, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Weather was fine for Week 11. Week 8, 9, and 10 were all horrible Friday night weather. Four out of the last five are pretty wet. Lots of rain in all and some strong wind during Week 9 especially. Overall, pretty miserable Friday nights lately. Doesn't help attendance. The players will play, but the fans (present company included) won't be as comfortable as we would like.
If fans are not comfortable in this weather that's on them. Know how to dress yourselves for Christ sake.

2 pairs of sweats, 2 jackets, stocking cap or hoodie, thermal boots, done. I can sleep in this chit.
Old 11-09-18, 09:12 AM
All World

wghfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
If fans are not comfortable in this weather that's on them. Know how to dress yourselves for Christ sake.

2 pairs of sweats, 2 jackets, stocking cap or hoodie, thermal boots, done. I can sleep in this chit.
I think what a lot of it is, people just don't feel like bundling up in all that clothing.
Old 11-09-18, 09:50 AM
Varsity

I have to assume Mentor will be the Home team tonight....and sit in the home stands?
Old 11-09-18, 09:50 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Looking at McKinley's two losses. Against Perry, it looks like McKinley surrendered 366 yards (6.6 ypc) to a one-dimensional offense. Massillon rushed for 338 (6.4 ypc) in their win over the Pups. That looks like the formula for a Mentor victory tonight. The Cardinals needs to run the ball well, really well. They are obviously capable of doing so, but a lot will hinge on the health and availability of their top back - Brian Trobel.

Should be a cold and wet, but fun one tonight. Looking forward to a fresh opponent.
Old 11-09-18, 10:05 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Go Mentor Cards!!!
Old 11-09-18, 10:13 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post

That's a good look! Dress for success!
Old 11-09-18, 10:44 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
Go Mentor Cards!!!
Same to you Riverside!!! Make more history!!
Old 11-09-18, 11:31 AM
Varsity

FeartheNeer is on a distinguished road
Whats up with Mentors RB, just normal season wear and tear or did he get an actual injury? Without a serious threat at running back does it make the Cards more likely to rely on their passing game or is there a suitable back up they use? If they have to go to the air consistently they will give the pups more offensive possessions allowing them to use their explosive offense more often.
Old 11-09-18, 11:43 AM
Junior Varsity

Bayside Tigers is on a distinguished road
Mentor grad, did you play football for Mentor?
Old 11-09-18, 11:45 AM
Junior Varsity

bomberinmonroe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
Maybe, if, but...then it's 12-1 knucklehead. ( and we have two National Champs, too.) Is McKinley the last Ohio school to be National Champion ('97)? Doesn't seem like your school or anyone else is a threat to that stat anymore. Times change.
You need to win another state title to catch us.
St. X was the MaxPreps national champ in 2007.
Old 11-09-18, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside Tigers View Post
Mentor grad, did you play football for Mentor?

Nope. Didn't play football. Grew up with the program from family and friends though

Old 11-09-18, 12:06 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
Go Mentor Cards!!!

Good luck to you guys as well. Congrats on the playoff win last week

Old 11-09-18, 12:45 PM
All District

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeartheNeer View Post
Whats up with Mentors RB, just normal season wear and tear or did he get an actual injury? Without a serious threat at running back does it make the Cards more likely to rely on their passing game or is there a suitable back up they use? If they have to go to the air consistently they will give the pups more offensive possessions allowing them to use their explosive offense more often.
Trobel sprained his ankle on the first few plays of the game vs Euclid. He sat out the next week since he wasn't needed against Elyria. He had 12 carries for 33 yards in the first half last week vs Strongsville, then Spansel replaced him.
Never heard whether he reaggravated the ankle, if he still wasn't at 100% or if Mentor was just being extra cautious since they had a 28-0 lead at the half.

I never saw anything post game written about his status.

Varney Spansel is a capable back-up.
Old 11-09-18, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have to assume Mentor will be the Home team tonight....and sit in the home stands?
Yes - that would be case at least thru next week
Old 11-09-18, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

FYI, Brunswick will be charging $5 for parking tonight
Old 11-09-18, 02:04 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingCardinal View Post
Trobel sprained his ankle on the first few plays of the game vs Euclid. He sat out the next week since he wasn't needed against Elyria. He had 12 carries for 33 yards in the first half last week vs Strongsville, then Spansel replaced him.
Never heard whether he reaggravated the ankle, if he still wasn't at 100% or if Mentor was just being extra cautious since they had a 28-0 lead at the half.

Capable back up but a pretty big drop off from Trobel in his prime. I have to assume that he (Trobel) is not 100% and I would foresee the two of them rotating with Spansel getting the majority of the carries. Just my 2 cents. Trobel is more explosive through the holes, Spansel is bigger and stronger but lacks that breakaway speed.
Old 11-09-18, 02:21 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingCardinal View Post

I read an article this morning that said he was good to go for tonight's game.

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/h...f98654c2b.html

It's going to be too wet for a campfire tonight, so I guess I'll follow online. Go Bulldogs!