Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-04-18, 05:11 PM
Varsity

TheBlueMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by m14brian View Post
Changing to the spread was the most significant improvement bar none.
I'm sure some of the "get off my lawn'ers" are probably still salty about the move. But McDonald is far better off now going to the spread
Old 11-04-18, 05:47 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by m14brian View Post
Changing to the spread was the most significant improvement bar none.
Without question. It makes you wonder what they could’ve done last year with the spread and how much better they could be this year with the year of experience under their belts.
Old 11-05-18, 05:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Drew Pastuer is not updated yet (odd actually) but Calpreps has it...

CALPREPS.COM
Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2018] Mogadore (OH) 35, [2018] McDonald (OH) 24
F50 was updated today, has Mogadore by 4. This is the 3rd time McDonald is projected to lose in his system (not counting week 1), which they’ve obviously won both times. (8 point underdog to Springfield and 1 point to Rootstown).

Also some more house keeping is that Sports Radio 1240 wbbw out of Youngstown will be covering the game.

The Record-Courier had a small preview of the game published today
https://www.record-courier.com/sport...mpression=true
Old 11-05-18, 05:40 PM
Varsity

Kirtland4580 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
For the Mogadore fans that have been to the past matchups, you’ll be in store for a much different blue devil offense. Mercifully gone are the days of the wing-t, with McDonald employing a spread offense this season. They are still run heavy, but like last week shown they are willing to throw the ball. Cintron and Celli both have phenomenal quickness and ability to exploit just the smallest creases for big gains. They are the 2 best runners McDonald has had in a really long time. Also can’t sleep on the athletes on the outside, Tucker, Schadl, Bucan have all made big plays this year on O.

Defensively McDonald’s run D has been a stonewall. Western Reserve led by a 1300 yard rusher and Rootstown led by a 1000 yard rusher both averaged only about 2 yards per carry. Springfield number wise had a bit more success, but that was mainly due to 1 long td run late in the game. McDonalds secondary has been prone to giving up yards and a weakness. That said, the 2 best QB’s they’ve faced (Brungard at Springfield, Steger at Rootstown) both completed well under 50% of their passes and McDonald picked them off a combined 7 times in those 2 games.

McDonald sounds like a version of the 2011 Kirtland team that started their long run. Two great runners and a statistically ridiculous defense. I’m sure I’m not the only Kirtland/Norwayne fan looking forward to seeing how this matchup pans out. Mogadore gave Kirtland a real run for their money last year, but I’ve heard nothing but great things coming from McDonald this year. I’m very interested in how the athletes on both sides matchup this Friday, hopefully it’s a great game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-18, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Mogadore by 1- 31-30

Last edited by FirestoneFan; 11-06-18 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-06-18, 09:27 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Drew Pastuer's prediction...

Nov 09 (W12) N #138 McDonald (11-0 D6 R21), pick: W by 4 (61%)

I think he is closer to reality than Calpreps is, although they are only a TD apart from each other.
Old 11-06-18, 09:37 AM
Varsity

NEohioFB is on a distinguished road
Saw McDonald once this year, they looked very strong. Not sure about Mogadore so I have no facts behind my prediction, but I think McDs pull this one out!
Old 11-06-18, 11:45 AM
All District

CatFan14 is on a distinguished road
These are the games where it's simply coaching, execution, and turnovers that will make the difference. A high school kid can falter under pressure or nervousness ... or he could rise and make an amazing game-changing play. Love watching these games!
Old 11-06-18, 11:46 AM
All World

Quote:
F50 was updated today, has Mogadore by 4. This is the 3rd time McDonald is projected to lose in his system (not counting week 1), which they’ve obviously won both times. (8 point underdog to Springfield and 1 point to Rootstown).

Also some more house keeping is that Sports Radio 1240 wbbw out of Youngstown will be covering the game.

The Record-Courier had a small preview of the game published today
https://www.record-courier.com/sport...mpression=true
Reading that McD gave up 343 passing yards to Rootstown makes me feel a little better about Friday. Mogadore's passing attack and WRs are better than the Rovers and can create fits. This maybe a game when the passing game opens up the running lanes for Mogadore with how good McD is against the run.

3 different pass catchers that are fast and over 6' 2" for Mogadore should pay dividends this weekend.
Old 11-06-18, 12:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Reading that McD gave up 343 passing yards to Rootstown makes me feel a little better about Friday. Mogadore's passing attack and WRs are better than the Rovers and can create fits. This maybe a game when the passing game opens up the running lanes for Mogadore with how good McD is against the run.

3 different pass catchers that are fast and over 6' 2" for Mogadore should pay dividends this weekend.
While they did pile up a decent amount of yards, it was on 50 pass attempts, and it included 4 interceptions. Both Rootstown and Springfield have very good 3 year QB’s and McDonald intercepted them 3 and 4 times respectively and both were well under 50% completion. That said it is no secret the Devils secondary has been susceptible to pass yards. McDonalds strategy I assume will be stop the run and make the Wildcats consistently make good throws and catches for 48 minutes.
Old 11-06-18, 12:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFan14 View Post
These are the games where it's simply coaching, execution, and turnovers that will make the difference. A high school kid can falter under pressure or nervousness ... or he could rise and make an amazing game-changing play. Love watching these games!
Agreed. Looks like Moggy was able to force 5 turnovers the last 2 games, it’ll be imperative for McDonald to not to turn it over. Last week they had a chance to put it away much earlier and go up 39-14 but put the ball on the turf, and it turned into a Rover td getting them back in it 32-20. Against Reserve McDonald had a fumble and silly mistakes inside the 5 that kept that game relatively close (21-6 final) instead of being something like 35-6.

Another thing is extra points. It didn’t hurt them against Rootstown but making xP will be critical. The K has been pretty reliable so maybe just due to the college uprights, but need to consistently make them
Old 11-06-18, 12:47 PM
All World

Quote:
While they did pile up a decent amount of yards, it was on 50 pass attempts, and it included 4 interceptions. Both Rootstown and Springfield have very good 3 year QB’s and McDonald intercepted them 3 and 4 times respectively and both were well under 50% completion. That said it is no secret the Devils secondary has been susceptible to pass yards. McDonalds strategy I assume will be stop the run and make the Wildcats consistently make good throws and catches for 48 minutes.
The 4 ints are the only thing that is impressive about the defense there. 343 yards on almost 50 attempts is still 7 yards per attempt and if your 50% completion number is right that’s about 14 yards per completion. With those numbers you only need to complete 1 of 3 to keep moving the chains.

Based on your information the only thing that saved McD in the game was the 4 ints.

Moggy’s QB is better than Rootstown’s and won’t throw 4 picks.

Of course many of the Moggy passes are playaction off the run. If they can’t run the PA doesn’t work as well.

It will be interesting.
Old 11-06-18, 01:01 PM
All World

Quote:
The 4 ints are the only thing that is impressive about the defense there. 343 yards on almost 50 attempts is still 7 yards per attempt and if your 50% completion number is right that’s about 14 yards per completion. With those numbers you only need to complete 1 of 3 to keep moving the chains.

Based on your information the only thing that saved McD in the game was the 4 ints.

Of course many of the Moggy passes are playaction off the run. If they can’t run the PA doesn’t work as well.

It will be interesting.
Well I said well under, I don’t know the Springfield stats off the top of my head but Rootstown was 22/50 or 44% completion. Also need to take into consideration after the first drive where they scored, the Rovers went 4 straight possessions without getting a 1st and McDonald went up 26-7. After that it seemed the team shifted to a softer coverage to prevent the big play.

I wouldn’t say it’s the only thing that “saved” McDonald since they went up 26-7 without an interception. The interceptions came later. That said this team has been excellent at getting interceptions.
Old 11-06-18, 01:26 PM
Junior Varsity

motionlead25 is on a distinguished road
Kingpin, it sounds like your blue devils have region 21 wrapped up. I'll inform the wildcats, hornets, and bobcats that they should start preparing for basketball season.
Old 11-06-18, 02:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionlead25 View Post
Kingpin, it sounds like your blue devils have region 21 wrapped up. I'll inform the wildcats, hornets, and bobcats that they should start preparing for basketball season.
I'd like to know how you came to this conclusion from me and jmog having a good discussion about Mogadore's O vs. McDonald's D. It's been a good informative football discussion. I'm not dumb, McDonald is the 4th favorite remaining in the region and an underdog this week to a team we have never beaten and if we can play well enough to beat a great Wildcat team, McDonald will be huge underdogs against likely Kirtland. But build that Straw man
Old 11-06-18, 02:09 PM
All District

THE FLOCK is an unknown quantity at this point
Only McDonald I know is Ronald McDonald, so I think Mogadore posts a 50 BURGER, on the red-haired clown people
Old 11-06-18, 02:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionlead25 View Post
Come on, I am a Mogadore fan and he hasn’t said anything close to this or even insinuated this. Relax.
Old 11-06-18, 02:20 PM
All World

My favorite Moggy/McD memory was the playoff game at West Branch. I think it was 2010 but could have been 2014.

Our QB back then was more of a runner and also played safety. His name was Shull.

He completely laid out WRs all the time and he actually put two McD kids out of the game that night. There was some guys sitting in front of me scouting us for the next week and asked me “who is that kid drilling people?” I just replied “our QB” and they were astounded and started writing a bunch of notes.

We lost the next week anyway but that was a funny conversation.
Old 11-06-18, 03:08 PM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My favorite Moggy/McD memory was the playoff game at West Branch. I think it was 2010 but could have been 2014.

Our QB back then was more of a runner and also played safety. His name was Shull.

He completely laid out WRs all the time and he actually put two McD kids out of the game that night. There was some guys sitting in front of me scouting us for the next week and asked me “who is that kid drilling people?” I just replied “our QB” and they were astounded and started writing a bunch of notes.

That was 2000 football season. Second round. Big hits on WRs, Probably get called for targeting now a days. I remember going to that game, doesn’t seem like 18 years ago
Old 11-06-18, 03:24 PM
All World

Quote:

Yup as Brian said that was 2000, hard to believe it’s been 18 years. That game still to this day is one of the hardest-hitting/most physical football games I’ve seen. There was some sore bodies the next morning that is for sure
Old 11-06-18, 03:39 PM
All District

SliceLikeAHammer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yup as Brian said that was 2000, hard to believe it’s been 18 years. That game still to this day is one of the hardest-hitting/most physical football games I’ve seen. There was some sore bodies the next morning that is for sure
...and that Mogadore team was a really good one. They went on to win 2 more games before having a really bad day in the state title game trying to run fake punts against Marion Local.
Old 11-06-18, 03:39 PM
All District

CatFan14 is on a distinguished road
The two goofball posters trying to stir the pot are obviously not Mogadore people.
Old 11-06-18, 03:46 PM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Yea I think we all know by now who are the long time posters from McD and Mogadore by our usernames.
Old 11-06-18, 04:03 PM
All Region

pcbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It will be interesting.
I disagree that Mogadore's QB is better than Rootstown's.
in the the last 2 Mogadore -Rootstown games, Mogadore's QB was 14/33 with 147 with 1 TD and 1 Int. Rootstown's was 19/40 for 346 yards with 2 TD and 3 Int. Steger was also 1st Team All Conference and HM All Inland Distract last year.
Old 11-06-18, 04:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFan14 View Post
The two goofball posters trying to stir the pot are obviously not Mogadore people.
No worries, this is the 3rd game for most of us on yappi, plus being in the same region, we’re familiar with each other. Never had a bad experience with a Mogadore poster, always respectful and willing to discuss football.
Old 11-06-18, 05:00 PM
Junior Varsity

WalshU33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I played in the 2000 game. It was definitely hard hitting. Dislocated my thumb when someone from McDonald tried to strip the ball from me. Thumb popped back into place, got it taped up and went back in the game. I can still see the rements of that injury today. So I would say I remember that game more than most. Lol

We beat Cuyahoga Heights to win the Regional Championship. Then beat Newark Catholic in the Semis. Before falling to Marion Local. Still my favorite football season ever including college. Beating Newark Catholic at Fawcett was the greatest football experience of my life.
Old 11-06-18, 05:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Man that seems like it was just a couple years ago. I feel old now.
Old 11-06-18, 05:11 PM
Junior Varsity

WalshU33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Man that seems like it was just a couple years ago. I feel old now.
Both teams had big players at the skilled positions that year. A lot of mass behind those pad cracks.
Old 11-06-18, 05:35 PM
All World

So here’s another obscure, fun stat I just discovered. I was checking out Mogadore Football’s social media and found out coach Adorni just picked up his 151st win on Friday and became the schools all-time winningest coach (what an accomplishment btw, congrats to him). Coach Williams at McDonald also picked up his 151st win on Friday night (though he became the all-time winningest and tenured coach a few years ago)
Old 11-06-18, 05:42 PM
All District

SliceLikeAHammer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalshU33 View Post
I played in the 2000 game. It was definitely hard hitting. Dislocated my thumb when someone from McDonald tried to strip the ball from me. Thumb popped back into place, got it taped up and went back in the game. I can still see the rements of that injury today. So I would say I remember that game more than most. Lol

We beat Cuyahoga Heights to win the Regional Championship. Then beat Newark Catholic in the Semis. Before falling to Marion Local. Still my favorite football season ever including college. Beating Newark Catholic at Fawcett was the greatest football experience of my life.
That's a cool, yet painful, story. You were a heckuva player on that team.