Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Coldwater by 15+ 52 89.66%
Coldwater by 8-14 1 1.72%
Coldwater by 1-7 1 1.72%
Deer Park by 1-7 2 3.45%
Deer Park by 8-14 2 3.45%
Deer Park by 15+ 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 11-01-18, 10:18 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,106
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
That's a lot of rain. I wonder if there's anyway to help the field dry quicker.
Gasoline helped dry out the baseball diamond before we got grass many moons ago but that isnt an option.

Unfortunately, the chopper is the shop so that option is not available as well.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 11-01-18, 10:56 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,339
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
To say a team could come out of whack because they are playing a team of athletes who dont play fundamentally.

First off, when you are facing a heavy option team a defense has to be extremely disciplined to stay home, more so than many other offenses,

Also your whole premise is obtuse.

With that said, I expect the field to be in horrible shape. The recent rain, playing other games on the field in the rain and also watering the field the week of the MSML game in addition to the precip during the game may have it nearly unplayable which wont help this CW offense, but will help the push to get a turf proposal off the ground
Maybe the Cavs can use the Tennessee style cleats that they used against the Buckeyes back in the Mannings days....
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 11-02-18, 02:50 AM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 3,044
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
To say a team could come out of whack because they are playing a team of athletes who dont play fundamentally.

First off, when you are facing a heavy option team a defense has to be extremely disciplined to stay home, more so than many other offenses,

Also your whole premise is obtuse.

With that said, I expect the field to be in horrible shape. The recent rain, playing other games on the field in the rain and also watering the field the week of the MSML game in addition to the precip during the game may have it nearly unplayable which wont help this CW offense, but will help the push to get a turf proposal off the ground
No doubt your point about defending against the option on a field in poor condition will be more difficult, but still , this is not going to be pretty for the Park contingent.

Now , as to getting out of whack, I guess that is an opinion and we all have one, but personally if I were a coach I would rather be St Henry playing a semi dangerous and fundamental Mechanicsburg team to keep the kids mentally tough for a Coldwater vs St Henry rematch.

Perhaps all Coldwater athletes are mature and don't think like young men did back when we were in high school, but I suspect not a lot has changed in that regard. It is pretty easy for young men to overestimate their abilities and skills, and playing certain opponents does not help in that area.

I would think Coldwater coaches would be looking for every available means of preparing the team for getting past week 12, and do not believe facing the Park helps that in any way, unless rest is what is needed, then they may get that for some players.

Hope that sharpens my points just a little.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 11-02-18, 04:21 AM
Msfootball Msfootball is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-23-14
Posts: 317
Msfootball is on a distinguished road
You make a good point if Coldwater had played a schedule filled with easy wins. Then they might get an exaggerated view of their capabilities. But they have played Clinton Massie, Marion Local, etc...I think they will keep whatever happens against Deer Park in proper perspective .
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 11-02-18, 04:28 AM
Captain_Cavman Captain_Cavman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-01-15
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 408
Captain_Cavman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
With that said, I expect the field to be in horrible shape. The recent rain, playing other games on the field in the rain and also watering the field the week of the MSML game in addition to the precip during the game may have it nearly unplayable which wont help this CW offense, but will help the push to get a turf proposal off the ground
Like this monsoon happens every year. It's easy to spend other people's money. Turf doesn't make financial sense. "Keep up with the Jones".
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 11-02-18, 06:29 AM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,339
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cavman View Post
Like this monsoon happens every year. It's easy to spend other people's money. Turf doesn't make financial sense. "Keep up with the Jones".
find another field to play soccer
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 11-02-18, 07:12 AM
gneiss rocks gneiss rocks is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 1,607
gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
also watering the field the week of the MSML game in addition to the precip during the game may have it nearly unplayable which wont help this CW offense, but will help the push to get a turf proposal off the ground
When you start with the funding for turf I'm certain you could shake down MSML boosters for some good money...just send a pick of a bunch of smiling Coldwater fans with hoses standing on a muddy field...

Please donate generously if you want a new turf field as much as we do!
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 11-02-18, 08:34 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,106
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cavman View Post
Like this monsoon happens every year. It's easy to spend other people's money. Turf doesn't make financial sense. "Keep up with the Jones".
Disappointed my watering of the field during MSML week didn't get any play....


Would the turf be a welcome addition?

Absolutely.

Would I donate to it? Absolutely. I am assuming though that the facility would still be open for the public to use. If not, I wouldn't donate because a lot of people use the track and field during the year.


The one thing I don't like is some of the arguments they use such as it will boost the local economy quite a bit with hosting additional playoff games, the $$ it will "save" each year without the 20-25k they say it takes per year to maintain the grass field which I still question.


BUT it would be a very good addition to the district and can be used by softball and baseball programs in the spring as well.


With that said, the monsoon is over. Will see how poorly the field plays tonite.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 11-02-18, 12:19 PM
brutus30 brutus30 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-28-16
Posts: 10
brutus30 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cavman View Post
Like this monsoon happens every year. It's easy to spend other people's money. Turf doesn't make financial sense. "Keep up with the Jones".
I'm sure that they are doing everything they can to keep the field in perfect playing condition... Wouldn't want the field to look like a pasture to get the community support for a turf field...
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 11-02-18, 04:01 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,893
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Safe travels to all the Deer Park fans making the trip and best of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 11-02-18, 07:37 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,893
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Mismatch. The deer park kids seem like they're still trying though and that's nothing to be ashamed of!
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 11-02-18, 07:38 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 3,044
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Mismatch. The deer park kids seem like they're still trying though and that's nothing to be ashamed of!
Score?
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 11-02-18, 07:43 PM
BigPSH BigPSH is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-05-17
Location: St. Henry
Posts: 119
BigPSH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Score?
Coldwater 35-0

Halftime
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 11-02-18, 07:43 PM
Rocket Man Rocket Man is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-04-16
Location: Anna
Posts: 35
Rocket Man is on a distinguished road
Coldwater 35-0 at the half.
St Henry 37-7 3:15 left.
ML 41-7 at the half.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 11-02-18, 08:09 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,893
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
49-14 final
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 11-02-18, 08:54 PM
BlessEmAll's Avatar
BlessEmAll BlessEmAll is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-05
Location: Next door
Posts: 6,132
BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
DP scored?
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 11-02-18, 09:00 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,893
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
DP scored?
On our 3rd and 4th string vs their starters.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 11-03-18, 07:33 AM
Captain_Cavman Captain_Cavman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-01-15
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 408
Captain_Cavman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Disappointed my watering of the field during MSML week didn't get any play....


Would the turf be a welcome addition?

Absolutely.

Would I donate to it? Absolutely. I am assuming though that the facility would still be open for the public to use. If not, I wouldn't donate because a lot of people use the track and field during the year.


The one thing I don't like is some of the arguments they use such as it will boost the local economy quite a bit with hosting additional playoff games, the $$ it will "save" each year without the 20-25k they say it takes per year to maintain the grass field which I still question.


BUT it would be a very good addition to the district and can be used by softball and baseball programs in the spring as well.


With that said, the monsoon is over. Will see how poorly the field plays tonite.
Ask the boosters what % of the CPAC was paid by NON businesses. Disappointing. Now they may use this once in a lifetime "perfect storm" year to push for another HUGE endeavour. Like in politics, don't waste a crisis. Back when they thru out the idea for turf, the initial cost and the guaranteed replacement that would follow, just didn't make financial sense. You can't guarantee in writing future playoff game rentals...like you'll actually get rich off the OHSAA, gate and concessions.

And the $$$ it'll bring in??? Really? And all the businesses will put up big bucks so as to "cash" in on the bounty that'll come because of turf?????

And when the replacement time comes, will these same businesses ante up again? Highly doubt it. So now we're left with the taxpayer.

I don't hate turf per se. I just want money to be used wisely. For me, this rings more "everybody else is doing it" kinda thing.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 11-03-18, 07:35 AM
Captain_Cavman Captain_Cavman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-01-15
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 408
Captain_Cavman is on a distinguished road
I was impressed with that McIntire kid. Good hard runner.

On a side note, their band was pretty good as well.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 11-03-18, 08:34 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,106
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
On our 3rd and 4th string vs their starters.
True, DP had their sta rters in vs the backups, but that was to be expected as their numbers are so low.

A couple of things that impressed me:
Our 2nd offense going out there on both their possessions and scoring on long drives with just running the football. They knew runs were coming and couldn't stop it.


CW looked like the much more athletic team in terms of speed and quickness.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 11-03-18, 11:56 AM
DeerParkLife DeerParkLife is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-27-18
Posts: 14
DeerParkLife is on a distinguished road
Good Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
True, DP had their sta rters in vs the backups, but that was to be expected as their numbers are so low.

A couple of things that impressed me:
Our 2nd offense going out there on both their possessions and scoring on long drives with just running the football. They knew runs were coming and couldn't stop it.


CW looked like the much more athletic team in terms of speed and quickness.
Cold Water was as advertised, The fans were first class. The Cold water football team had eighty-five kids and Deer Park had 27. Cold Water played well in the sloppy conditions.
With all that being said Kudos to the Wildcats! they never gave up and played hard to the end. Also Kudos to Coaches who continued coaching until last second.

I see Deer Park being a program on the rise, the kids really learned last night and are excited about next year! (most of team returns}

Good Luck Cold Water
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 11-03-18, 12:17 PM
Captain_Cavman Captain_Cavman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-01-15
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 408
Captain_Cavman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerParkLife View Post
Cold Water was as advertised, The fans were first class. The Cold water football team had eighty-five kids and Deer Park had 27. Cold Water played well in the sloppy conditions.
With all that being said Kudos to the Wildcats! they never gave up and played hard to the end. Also Kudos to Coaches who continued coaching until last second.

I see Deer Park being a program on the rise, the kids really learned last night and are excited about next year! (most of team returns}

Good Luck Cold Water
Thank you. A team can lose composer with a score like that. Deer Park did not and like you said, kept playing hard. Hopefully this is a catalyst for things to come for the Wildcats.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 11-04-18, 09:17 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,106
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerParkLife View Post
Cold Water was as advertised, The fans were first class. The Cold water football team had eighty-five kids and Deer Park had 27. Cold Water played well in the sloppy conditions.
With all that being said Kudos to the Wildcats! they never gave up and played hard to the end. Also Kudos to Coaches who continued coaching until last second.

I see Deer Park being a program on the rise, the kids really learned last night and are excited about next year! (most of team returns}

Good Luck Cold Water
HEard the interview with your coach and he seems like a class act and hopes this season is a springboard to get more kids interested in going out for football.
It all starts at the 7th grade level...gotta get those kids out!
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 11-04-18, 11:31 AM
triple option triple option is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-01-14
Posts: 192
triple option is on a distinguished road
CW has the best fans, lots of respect.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 11-04-18, 01:13 PM
big medicine big medicine is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-20-10
Posts: 365
big medicine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLWarrior View Post
I was looking at the Vamps power rankings and they have 1-9 Parkway just behind Deer Park. What values are used in this ranking? I find it really hard to believe a inept team like Parkway being that good.

Due to the rotational schedule and Coldwater not actually playing Parkway this year got me curious how Calpreps would have projected such a game had it happened.

Per Calpreps.
Coldwater 48
Parkway 13
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 11-04-18, 01:21 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,893
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by big medicine View Post
Due to the rotational schedule and Coldwater not actually playing Parkway this year got me curious how Calpreps would have projected such a game had it happened.

Per Calpreps.
Coldwater 48
Parkway 13
Well we at times cant stop the run but Parkway has no defense so probably similar to Calpreps.
I'd say:
Coldwater 42
Parkway 18
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 11-04-18, 08:21 PM
Fun2Bme Fun2Bme is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-04-05
Location: The Nati
Posts: 1,592
Fun2Bme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fun2Bme
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
HEard the interview with your coach and he seems like a class act and hopes this season is a springboard to get more kids interested in going out for football.
It all starts at the 7th grade level...gotta get those kids out!
It's not that easy. Hopefully with the varsity team having some success, numbers increase in JH but DP is far and away the smallest school in their league and usually show up to JH games with half or less than half the players the other teams have and therefore have very limited success, often times getting embarrassed. I asked a coach once how he expected to compete and he said they don't. He said they coach the kids the best they can and hope on Thursday the score isn't so bad the scoreboard gets turned off (apparently at some point a team turned the scoreboard off cause it was so bad). Kids don't want to be a part of that because it's not fun so they quit. By the time they get to HS, you're left with 6-8 freshmen if you're lucky. And over time the mentality of just being happy to compete becomes the norm of the kids that stick around. IMO, for things to change, DP will have to have 3-4 or more years of sustained success. Not necessarily playoffs but winning records.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 11-04-18, 08:25 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,893
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Bme View Post
It's not that easy. Hopefully with the varsity team having some success, numbers increase in JH but DP is far and away the smallest school in their league and usually show up to JH games with half or less than half the players the other teams have and therefore have very limited success, often times getting embarrassed. I asked a coach once how he expected to compete and he said they don't. He said they coach the kids the best they can and hope on Thursday the score isn't so bad the scoreboard gets turned off (apparently at some point a team turned the scoreboard off cause it was so bad). Kids don't want to be a part of that because it's not fun so they quit. By the time they get to HS, you're left with 6-8 freshmen if you're lucky. And over time the mentality of just being happy to compete becomes the norm of the kids that stick around. IMO, for things to change, DP will have to have 3-4 or more years of sustained success. Not necessarily playoffs but winning records.
They can join the Miami Valley Conference.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 11-04-18, 09:22 PM
Fun2Bme Fun2Bme is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-04-05
Location: The Nati
Posts: 1,592
Fun2Bme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fun2Bme
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
They can join the Miami Valley Conference.
I know it's been brought up multiple times the past 10-15 years but I guess hasn't gotten enough support from administrators.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 11-05-18, 09:54 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,106
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Bme View Post
It's not that easy. Hopefully with the varsity team having some success, numbers increase in JH but DP is far and away the smallest school in their league and usually show up to JH games with half or less than half the players the other teams have and therefore have very limited success, often times getting embarrassed. I asked a coach once how he expected to compete and he said they don't. He said they coach the kids the best they can and hope on Thursday the score isn't so bad the scoreboard gets turned off (apparently at some point a team turned the scoreboard off cause it was so bad). Kids don't want to be a part of that because it's not fun so they quit. By the time they get to HS, you're left with 6-8 freshmen if you're lucky. And over time the mentality of just being happy to compete becomes the norm of the kids that stick around. IMO, for things to change, DP will have to have 3-4 or more years of sustained success. Not necessarily playoffs but winning records.
It is the ole chicken and the egg situation.

Do you get numbers first and then win, or win first and then get numbers.

Depends on where you start from I reckon. For CDP I would think, or hope, that the successful regular season with a playoff approach would get more parents and kids interested. You need to energize those dads to really want to go out and throw the football with the kids when they are young, attend the HS games and be a part of the program.

I know as a kid I loved going to the games on Friday nights and I think we only made the playoffs once. We are shaped as kids to enjoy things that our parents are interested in so parents...bring those kids! Was a bit disappointed in the turnout but I realize it was a long drive.


Let's hope for DP sake that those JH kids start to want to be a part of the future and see a 7-3 record and the playoffs as a starting point. Most perennial playoff teams started with those lone playoff appearances and grew from there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Division I Schedules EagleFan Football 96 11-18-18 07:19 PM
History of Baseball State Championships (1928-2018) Yappi Baseball 35 06-05-18 01:28 PM
2017-2018 Basketball Schedules Yappi Boys Basketball 60 11-30-17 01:53 PM
2017 Division I Schedules EagleFan Archives 66 10-25-17 11:29 AM
2017 Division IV Schedules EagleFan Archives 28 10-25-17 11:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz