Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-31-18, 08:59 PM
All American

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
1. Youíre correct... theyíre not Division 1 defensive lineman. Hence the forum title ďDivision V Region 20Ē.

2. All 4 defensive lineman are outstanding, though Max Evans was SWBL player of the year. Evans, Pelgen are the best defensive lineman in this region and thereís no debate about it. Limon and McMonigle are great additions.

3. Cameron Svarda hasnít done much at all this year in rushing yards, but has been a great asset in the rushing game per blocks and fakes. There is more to a good running back than how many yards you have on SWBLsports.com.

4. Unlike other schools, Madison spreads their rushing attempts across 4 men. Whiteman, Crim, Phelps and Svarda. Seeing a RB with 2,000 yards from Portsmouth is very impressive and it takes a great running back to do that. But letís not overlook that Madison has over 3,500 rushing yards on just 400 attempts with 47 rushing TD.
I agree that Evans and Pelgen are the two of the best linemen in this region. Wheelersburg is pretty good up front too though. Typical strong teams in this region are down this year (WJ and CHCA) but they have each had players just as good as Evans and Pelgen in the past.

I know Svarda was hurt earlier this season. I fully expect the Mohawks to give him 20+ carries in the big games later in the season. He is a good back. Crim will get another 12 or so and Phelps will get 7-8. Whiteman will run more against the tough competition. It is not a secret. The Mohawks are good and will be tough to knock out of the playoffs but I think they are fortunate to have had their best team ever when the region was really down. In most years when Coldwater was in the region or even West Jeff at their peak, they were beating this Mohawk team by 20+.

But you don't go back and play previous year's teams. You can only play the teams on the schedule and the teams in front of you. I am hopeful that this Madison team wins it all this year.
Old 10-31-18, 09:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by P(irate) View Post
Yes they did. When you give them a short field they capitalize. Burg did that often with4 turnovers. Burg was still right there in the 3rd quarter. But they just couldnít hang on to the ball. Hard to beat a team when you have to play yourself too.
Agree. I actually think if they played again, the Burg could win the game. Hartley is very good but not 31 points better than the Pirates.
Old 10-31-18, 09:03 PM
All Region

P(irate) is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
Agree. I actually think if they played again, the Burg could win the game. Hartley is very good but not 31 points better than the Pirates.
They could have won the first one. lol. Oh well. That was FOREVER ago.
Old 11-01-18, 02:30 PM
All District

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to another great night of HS football!!! Week 11 and time to put up or shut up for these 8 teams.

WBURG over PW 28-20 - WBURG wins repeat of week 10 and moves step closer to rematch w/ Madison

Gview over Maderia 31-17 - Gview breaking the 1 and out of past few years, even on the road and on turf

Madison over Portsmouth 28-7 - Lots of well earned confidence from last year's run gets the Mowhawks closer to rematch w/ WBURG

WJ over CHCA 17-10 - WJ needs to turn this into street fight and keep CHCA big plays to minimum, taking the Riders in a close one at home and on the grass
Old 11-02-18, 09:31 AM
All World

ex_dc_atc is on a distinguished road
For the Wheelersburg fans, any concern with a rematch against Portsmouth West? I realize the Burg won pretty handily the first time around but this is a rival, needing to beat them a second time. Any concern there or is Burg a fairly big favorite?
Old 11-02-18, 10:52 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_dc_atc View Post
For the Wheelersburg fans, any concern with a rematch against Portsmouth West? I realize the Burg won pretty handily the first time around but this is a rival, needing to beat them a second time. Any concern there or is Burg a fairly big favorite?
Not a Wheelersburg fan here but very familiar with teams in this region, if I am a Burg fan I don't mind the PW matchup whatsoever. West gets in on the win over Portsmouth and that is it. Wheelersburg has their number and has for a very long time.
Old 11-02-18, 10:55 AM
All Region

rampanther is on a distinguished road
I didn’t realize CHCA was D5. Has their enrollment slipped that much?
Old 11-02-18, 12:14 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Madison-Portsmouth

Unbeaten Madison turns focus to playoffs, Portsmouth

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...7Eg3ATtyH2l1M/
Old 11-02-18, 12:33 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampanther View Post
I didnít realize CHCA was D5. Has their enrollment slipped that much?
They have pretty much always been D5 except for 2 years where they were one of the smallest D4 schools. I would imagine enrollment is pretty much the same.
Old 11-02-18, 12:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
Not a Wheelersburg fan here but very familiar with teams in this region, if I am a Burg fan I don't mind the PW matchup whatsoever. West gets in on the win over Portsmouth and that is it. Wheelersburg has their number and has for a very long time.
I agree. Week 11 and having familiarity is probably a good thing. Especially when it is a 6 win team that you have already defeated pretty easily.
Old 11-02-18, 12:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
They have pretty much always been D5 except for 2 years where they were one of the smallest D4 schools. I would imagine enrollment is pretty much the same.
Itís a great school that draws students across SW Ohio. I would think the OHSA would hit me them hard for that.
Old 11-02-18, 01:47 PM
All Region

FreeFromGreen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Itís a great school that draws students across SW Ohio. I would think the OHSA would hit me them hard for that.
I can tell you with extreme confidence that the vast majority of their varsity team comes from their own middle school

so they are either really really good at finding talent early, and convincing their parents to pay tuition for elementary school...or they are just CHCA kids from the get go
Old 11-02-18, 02:00 PM
All Region

big medicine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFromGreen View Post
I can tell you with extreme confidence that the vast majority of their varsity team comes from their own middle school

so they are either really really good at finding talent early, and convincing their parents to pay tuition for elementary school...or they are just CHCA kids from the get go
Seeing that 51% constitutes a majority. Just curious what percentage is required for a vast majority ?
Old 11-02-18, 02:46 PM
All Region

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
I wonder what district they use for competitive balance. I'm pretty sure a lot of their students are from the Mason area but you would think being they are in a pretty central location with several of the more affluent districts nearby they draw kids from several different districts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-18, 05:14 PM
All Region

P(irate) is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_dc_atc View Post
I donít think there is any concern. More confidence in being able to do what we do. Burg will roll this week. West may get one on the board. They usually do. But this game will never be in doubt.
Old 11-02-18, 05:40 PM
All District

borntopin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree that Evans and Pelgen are the two of the best linemen in this region. Wheelersburg is pretty good up front too though. Typical strong teams in this region are down this year (WJ and CHCA) but they have each had players just as good as Evans and Pelgen in the past.

I know Svarda was hurt earlier this season. I fully expect the Mohawks to give him 20+ carries in the big games later in the season. He is a good back. Crim will get another 12 or so and Phelps will get 7-8. Whiteman will run more against the tough competition. It is not a secret. The Mohawks are good and will be tough to knock out of the playoffs but I think they are fortunate to have had their best team ever when the region was really down. In most years when Coldwater was in the region or even West Jeff at their peak, they were beating this Mohawk team by 20+.

But you don't go back and play previous year's teams. You can only play the teams on the schedule and the teams in front of you. I am hopeful that this Madison team wins it all this year.
After your predictions from last year of Anna dominating the Mohawks and then doubling down on that the next week and picking CHCA to beat them by 2 TDs I find your 20+ pts to be very comical. Whenever I see post like "this team from 2,5,10, 20 yrs ago etc. would destroy x team" you lose all credibility with me. Seems like you are going out of your way to downplay the Mohawks great run these last 2 yrs. This dline is pretty special and anyone who has ever watched high school football would agree especially at the D5 level. Just because neither of them has a D1 offer doesn't take away from their dominance these last 2 yrs.

Looking forward to another fun Mohawk playoff run starting tomorrow night. Hopefully they can bring back a state title to the SWBL and sw Ohio!
Old 11-02-18, 07:13 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFromGreen View Post

I doubt many if anyone goes there to play football. A great education, certainly
Old 11-02-18, 07:17 PM
All Region

Quote:
I doubt many if anyone goes there to play football. A great education, certainly
I imagine many private high schools will start opening their own jr high schools. Itís a shame but enough bad programs will just whine and theyíll cook the rules again
Old 11-02-18, 09:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntopin View Post
After your predictions from last year of Anna dominating the Mohawks and then doubling down on that the next week and picking CHCA to beat them by 2 TDs I find your 20+ pts to be very comical. Whenever I see post like "this team from 2,5,10, 20 yrs ago etc. would destroy x team" you lose all credibility with me. Seems like you are going out of your way to downplay the Mohawks great run these last 2 yrs. This dline is pretty special and anyone who has ever watched high school football would agree especially at the D5 level. Just because neither of them has a D1 offer doesn't take away from their dominance these last 2 yrs.

Looking forward to another fun Mohawk playoff run starting tomorrow night. Hopefully they can bring back a state title to the SWBL and sw Ohio!
You are correct. I predicted Anna and CHCA would beat them. I was wrong. I also predicted they would stomp West Jeff and lose to Wheelersburg. I was right on those. If they win it all this year they will have deserved it. I mentioned in my post that I hope they do. However, it is naive to think D5 hasnít been down the last two years. Iíve also said the dline is outstanding. But the Madison fans are acting like theyíre the best thing ever. Theyíre really good but thereís great players on teams every year. Just because this is the first time the Mohawks have had a great team doesnít mean they possess the best dline of all time.
Old 11-02-18, 09:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Thatís correct. Most of their really good players from junior high go to St X. I think over the last 3 seasons there have been 6 or 7 former CHCA kids starting for the Bombers.
Old 11-03-18, 12:12 PM
All American

I know there was lots of rain this week. Any update on how the fields are looking at Madison and West Jeff?
Old 11-03-18, 12:47 PM
All District

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
WJ field should be fine, the crew there does a really nice job keeping the field in good shape. Being on the road in week 10 also helped!!! Don't remember any mud bowl games at Kile Field in the last 10 years.

See if WJ can come out strong and physical and keep CHCA big plays to minimum.
Old 11-03-18, 03:31 PM
Freshman

SWPicker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know there was lots of rain this week. Any update on how the fields are looking at Madison and West Jeff?
Madison will be a mud bowl tonight. A lot like the first round last year vs. Anna
Old 11-03-18, 08:14 PM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
Saw Madison for the first time tonight. Very solid offensive and defensive team. Special Teams I’m afraid will be there undoing. Having to go for 2 every time and they don’t punt well either. I have a question for people more familiar with the Madison program, why isn’t Evan Crim the fullback? It seems to me his skill set is better suited to run into the teeth of the defense while Svarda seems to be more suited for the wing. Obviously Madison isn’t going to make that change now but I am just curious.
Old 11-03-18, 09:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 29 View Post
Saw Madison for the first time tonight. Very solid offensive and defensive team. Special Teams Iím afraid will be there undoing. Having to go for 2 every time and they donít punt well either. I have a question for people more familiar with the Madison program, why isnít Evan Crim the fullback? It seems to me his skill set is better suited to run into the teeth of the defense while Svarda seems to be more suited for the wing. Obviously Madison isnít going to make that change now but I am just curious.
I have thought the same thing. Heís a big kid that can move well. Svarda does run really hard though. I think theyíll roll CHCA next week. The Eagles donít have much of a D.
Old 11-03-18, 09:31 PM
All American

This region ended up just as I expected. Wheelersburg and Madison won easily and CHCA and Greeneview won some close ones. With Anna getting knocked out, this regional final should determine the state champ.
Old 11-03-18, 09:58 PM
All Region

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are correct. I predicted Anna and CHCA would beat them. I was wrong. I also predicted they would stomp West Jeff and lose to Wheelersburg. I was right on those. If they win it all this year they will have deserved it. I mentioned in my post that I hope they do. However, it is naive to think D5 hasnít been down the last two years. Iíve also said the dline is outstanding. But the Madison fans are acting like theyíre the best thing ever. Theyíre really good but thereís great players on teams every year. Just because this is the first time the Mohawks have had a great team doesnít mean they possess the best dline of all time.
Well in fairness, for Madison fans this is the best thing they have ever had and it is easy to argue that they are the best team in DV. It doesn't really matter whether DV is up or down this year, if they win it they win it and they deserve it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-18, 10:00 PM
Varsity

ohiograppler1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPicker View Post
Madison will be a mud bowl tonight. A lot like the first round last year vs. Anna
The field was in good shape. Not a mud bowl at all.
Old 11-04-18, 12:49 AM
Freshman

SWPicker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiograppler1 View Post
The field was in good shape. Not a mud bowl at all.
Little birdie told me before the game that the field was a mess.. ended up just being a tad slippery. Not enough to change the game though.

Mohawks ran all over the Trojan D. Urban Meyer should block Parkerís phone number after tonight. Funny that everyone on this thread thinks that he plays at a higher level than kids like Evans and Pelgen. No doubt heís an athlete but if he canít run against this DV HS defense what is he gonna do at the next level, especially D1 NCAA.
Old 11-04-18, 08:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPicker View Post
Little birdie told me before the game that the field was a mess.. ended up just being a tad slippery. Not enough to change the game though.

Mohawks ran all over the Trojan D. Urban Meyer should block Parkerís phone number after tonight. Funny that everyone on this thread thinks that he plays at a higher level than kids like Evans and Pelgen. No doubt heís an athlete but if he canít run against this DV HS defense what is he gonna do at the next level, especially D1 NCAA.
This is true. Heís probably more of a Mac school RB than OSU. Iím not sure how much of it is his fault though. Theyíve been shut out before this season and they donít have a passing game. Madison has the best defense in D5 this year and played like it.