Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-30-18, 09:10 AM
All American

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
The Fort Loramie/Madeira game early in the year wasn't as close as the score indicates. Loramie was up by roughly 30 when the game was called for a storm. It was finished the next morning and Madeira scored a few TDs to make it semi-respectable. The only decent showing they've given against a playoff caliber team was the 3 point win over Deer Park.
And even the DP game they were down by 14 in the 4th quarter and Deer Park gave the game away at the end.

Anyone from West Jeff or Greeneview want to comment on their teams?

Not much to say about West and Wheelersburg since they just played last week.
Old 10-30-18, 09:18 AM
All Region

P(irate) is on a distinguished road
Burg released a hype video today. Check it out.
https://twitter.com/mcflysince86/sta...997825538?s=21
Old 10-30-18, 10:09 AM
All World

ex_dc_atc is on a distinguished road
This region plain and simple comes down to Wheelersburg and Madison. In reality, probably the best two teams in the state in DV. Wheelersburg is tradition rich, the defending state champion. Madison is a senior laden team that's been barely tested all season. They are dominant on both lines of scrimmage. Should be fun to see how it all plays out. In Round 1, I'll say:

#1 Wheelersburg 21
#8 Portsmouth West 0

#5 Greenview 21
#4 Madeira 7

#2 Madison 21
#7 Portsmouth 0

#6 CHCA 28
#3 West Jefferson 21
Old 10-30-18, 02:39 PM
Freshman

SWPicker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh I have not seen the top D5 teams in this region, but it is hard to believe any D5 team in the state could match the o-line and d-line of Madison.
Agreed. OL is great but the DL is phenomenal. Excited to see the run they will make this year. Here's who I got:

Wheelersburg - 28
Portsmouth West - 0

Greenview - 28
Madeira - 14

West Jefferson - 32
CHCA - 24

Madison - 30
Portsmouth - 0
Old 10-30-18, 07:27 PM
All Region

I’ll play too.

Wheelersburg 34
Portsmouth West 7

West Jeff 16
CHCA 27

Greenview 22
Madeira 20

Madison 27
Portsmouth 14
Old 10-31-18, 08:42 AM
Freshman

spider2Ybanana is on a distinguished road
#1 Wheelersburg 42
#8 Portsmouth West 7

#4 Madeira 14
#5 Greenview 28

#3 West Jefferson 35
#6 CHCA 24

#2 Madison 42
#7 Portsmouth 0
Old 10-31-18, 09:12 AM
Freshman

How do the Portsmouth teams compare? Seems that West is a pretty balanced team and Portsmouth lives and dies by Parker's performance.. thoughts?
Old 10-31-18, 09:21 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPicker View Post
How do the Portsmouth teams compare? Seems that West is a pretty balanced team and Portsmouth lives and dies by Parker's performance.. thoughts?
Both Portsmouth's will be bounced this week. They simply don't play anyone (outside of Wheelersburg) that prepares them for the playoffs. Neither game will be close either. Part of the struggles of being in that part of the state.
Old 10-31-18, 09:21 AM
All American

Record versus playoff teams
Wheelersburg - 5-1 average score - 33-14
Madison 0-0
West Jeff 1-1 average score 24-29
Madeira 1-3 average score 17-43
Greeneview 1-1 average score 14-11
CHCA 2-2 average score 24-32
Portsmouth 1-2 average score 14-25
West 1-2 average score 13-21

Basically, the take away is Wheelersburg has already been playing playoff teams all year and beating them. No one else in the region has a winning record against playoff teams. Madison has looked dominant but reality is this will be the first playoff team they are playing so far. Madeira and CHCA are both giving up over 30 points a game to playoff teams. Not a good indicator for playoff success. On the flip side, neither of the Portsmouth schools or Greeneview can score enough points against playoff teams.
Old 10-31-18, 10:29 AM
Freshman

spider2Ybanana is on a distinguished road
As a Wheelersburg fan, I would love to think that Madisons competition will leave them unprepared for the playoffs but in reality I don't think this will be the case. This senior laden Madison team is the best the school has ever had and with a state semi-final appearance last year, they know what the playoffs are about. Are they beatable, of course, but it will be a tough task to deal with their O/D lines for four quarters. If the matchup happens in the regional final, I think Wheelersburgs quick passing game will be the difference. Get the ball out and don't take sacks should be their game plan. I think Wheelersburgs defense can hold their own against the run like last year, but it all comes down to putting more points on the board than the opponent. Should be a great contest.
Old 10-31-18, 10:41 AM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
Madison had good tests against Franklin and Valley View who despite not making the playoffs are teams were good test in my opinion. I think if those 2 teams are about as good as anyone in this region outside of Wheelersburg. Those 2 games were early in the year so it's been a while since Madison has faced a challenge, but I also think Madison's schedule has kept them healthy and well rested and also allowed to get more kids opportunities and build up the quality of their depth.
Old 10-31-18, 10:42 AM
All Region

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
Record versus playoff teams
Wheelersburg - 5-1 average score - 33-14
Madison 0-0
West Jeff 1-1 average score 24-29
Madeira 1-3 average score 17-43
Greeneview 1-1 average score 14-11
CHCA 2-2 average score 24-32
Portsmouth 1-2 average score 14-25
West 1-2 average score 13-21

Basically, the take away is Wheelersburg has already been playing playoff teams all year and beating them. No one else in the region has a winning record against playoff teams. Madison has looked dominant but reality is this will be the first playoff team they are playing so far. Madeira and CHCA are both giving up over 30 points a game to playoff teams. Not a good indicator for playoff success. On the flip side, neither of the Portsmouth schools or Greeneview can score enough points against playoff teams.
I could be wrong, but I think Madison only played one playoff qualifier last, Valley View and got beat pretty handily. Didn't really seem to effect them and it was their first trip to the playoffs. I think with them being a team with many returning starters, they know what it takes to win in the playoffs and will be prepared.
Old 10-31-18, 12:11 PM
All District

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And even the DP game they were down by 14 in the 4th quarter and Deer Park gave the game away at the end.

Anyone from West Jeff or Greeneview want to comment on their teams?

Not much to say about West and Wheelersburg since they just played last week.

West Jeff is a solid team this year, but down a notch or two from last year and down 4-5 notches of some of their better teams in the last decade IMO. They will have the chance to prove otherwise.

They are really big up front on both sides, but not overly athletic which has caused some problems during the year depending on matchups!!! Get out those jump ropes boys or join the wrestling team!!!

This is also the 1st year i can remember for several years we have ended up so 1 dimensional on offense this late in the year (and not by choice). We have just not been able to consistently find the balanced offense those of us who follow WJ has been accustomed to under Coach B. Our run game has been above average but below average when it comes to shor`t yardage situations. We have NOT been very good with helping our QB's (2) this year with dropped passes just about every week. If the Jones kid was a bigger kid, he could be a D1 D2 recruit given his effort and vision.

Defense has played pretty well, but have given up some silly big plays. Again big up front but have not seemed to be able to put pressure on QB's unless helped with LB's, etc which could subject them to one on one bad matchups on the edges.

The intangibles for this year's team is above where we were last year. Our schedule was better (not great, but better) and the OHC North had 4 teams who ended up beating up on one another (3 of 4 made playoffs). We have kids with valuable playoff experience, especially with the "big dogs" of the region and we have a long standing, tradition rich program where playoff wins are expected.

It realistically is a big hill to climb in this region, but WJ never backs down from a fight and will welcome the challenges ahead.
Old 10-31-18, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Something to keep in mind...If Franklin and/or Valley View would've beaten Madison those teams WOULD be in the playoffs. So Madison could have losses to 2 playoff teams (like others in this region) or no losses and no playoff teams wins. I think they've been tested plenty.
Old 10-31-18, 01:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cville-OMW View Post
West Jeff is a solid team this year, but down a notch or two from last year and down 4-5 notches of some of their better teams in the last decade IMO. They will have the chance to prove otherwise.

They are really big up front on both sides, but not overly athletic which has caused some problems during the year depending on matchups!!! Get out those jump ropes boys or join the wrestling team!!!

This is also the 1st year i can remember for several years we have ended up so 1 dimensional on offense this late in the year (and not by choice). We have just not been able to consistently find the balanced offense those of us who follow WJ has been accustomed to under Coach B. Our run game has been above average but below average when it comes to shor`t yardage situations. We have NOT been very good with helping our QB's (2) this year with dropped passes just about every week. If the Jones kid was a bigger kid, he could be a D1 D2 recruit given his effort and vision.

Defense has played pretty well, but have given up some silly big plays. Again big up front but have not seemed to be able to put pressure on QB's unless helped with LB's, etc which could subject them to one on one bad matchups on the edges.

The intangibles for this year's team is above where we were last year. Our schedule was better (not great, but better) and the OHC North had 4 teams who ended up beating up on one another (3 of 4 made playoffs). We have kids with valuable playoff experience, especially with the "big dogs" of the region and we have a long standing, tradition rich program where playoff wins are expected.

It realistically is a big hill to climb in this region, but WJ never backs down from a fight and will welcome the challenges ahead.
Great recap. I think it is cool that West Jeff still makes the playoffs and gets a home game despite having a "down" year. Same for CHCA, having a down season and still making the playoffs. It really speaks to the programs at both schools to make the playoffs year in and year out, no matter the talent level. Should be a great game this weekend.
Old 10-31-18, 01:48 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
Something to keep in mind...If Franklin and/or Valley View would've beaten Madison those teams WOULD be in the playoffs. So Madison could have losses to 2 playoff teams (like others in this region) or no losses and no playoff teams wins. I think they've been tested plenty.
I agree. I think Franklin or Valley View would probably be the 3rd best team in this region this year. I was just stating facts with my previous post. Madison is a tough minded and physical team. It will be interesting to see how they respond if they do get down though. They have a lot of pressure on them this year and they have never had that before.
Old 10-31-18, 02:44 PM
Freshman

Dark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPicker View Post
Agreed. OL is great but the DL is phenomenal. Excited to see the run they will make this year. Here's who I got:

Wheelersburg - 28
Portsmouth West - 0

Greenview - 28
Madeira - 14

West Jefferson - 32
CHCA - 24

Madison - 30
Portsmouth - 0
I agree. Madison’s DL is like something I’ve never seen before at this level of high school football. Not to mention their talent at all 3 RB’s and QB. I hear that Portsmouth has a stunning RB but I don’t see him getting too many yards agains the Mohawks.

Madison - 35
Portsmouth - 0
Old 10-31-18, 03:48 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I agree. Madison’s DL is like something I’ve never seen before at this level of high school football. Not to mention their talent at all 3 RB’s and QB. I hear that Portsmouth has a stunning RB but I don’t see him getting too many yards agains the Mohawks.

Madison - 35
Portsmouth - 0
Interesting first post. Madison does have a very good d-line. I would even say outstanding. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's not as if there are 4 D1 guys playing up front for the Mohawks. In fact, none of them are D1 players. Pelgen is special for D5 and many of their kids give maximum effort but this is not the best team to ever play in this region. It is the best Madison team. The 3 RBs are good but also nothing special. Svarda is very good but I would take 3 or 4 RBs in this region over him. Crum is a great high school football player too.

In a normal year, this Madison team would be a week 12 team but because D5 is so weak this year, I think they can win it all. IMO it's them, Wheelersburg and Anna.
Old 10-31-18, 03:52 PM
All Region

Quote:
Interesting first post. Madison does have a very good d-line. I would even say outstanding. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's not as if there are 4 D1 guys playing up front for the Mohawks. In fact, none of them are D1 players. Pelgen is special for D5 and many of their kids give maximum effort but this is not the best team to ever play in this region. It is the best Madison team. The 3 RBs are good but also nothing special. Svarda is very good but I would take 3 or 4 RBs in this region over him. Crum is a great high school football player too.

In a normal year, this Madison team would be a week 12 team but because D5 is so weak this year, I think they can win it all. IMO it's them, Wheelersburg and Anna.
Parker IS the best back in this region.
Old 10-31-18, 03:57 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Anna wins this division. They are stout.
Old 10-31-18, 06:48 PM
Freshman

Cool quick shoutout from Tate Martell! https://www.facebook.com/25596385445...5768766812438/
Old 10-31-18, 07:12 PM
Freshman

Dark is on a distinguished road
1. You’re correct... they’re not Division 1 defensive lineman. Hence the forum title “Division V Region 20”.

2. All 4 defensive lineman are outstanding, though Max Evans was SWBL player of the year. Evans, Pelgen are the best defensive lineman in this region and there’s no debate about it. Limon and McMonigle are great additions.

3. Cameron Svarda hasn’t done much at all this year in rushing yards, but has been a great asset in the rushing game per blocks and fakes. There is more to a good running back than how many yards you have on SWBLsports.com.

4. Unlike other schools, Madison spreads their rushing attempts across 4 men. Whiteman, Crim, Phelps and Svarda. Seeing a RB with 2,000 yards from Portsmouth is very impressive and it takes a great running back to do that. But let’s not overlook that Madison has over 3,500 rushing yards on just 400 attempts with 47 rushing TD.
Old 10-31-18, 07:26 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:

Uh how many D5 teams have any D1 guys?
Old 10-31-18, 07:27 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
1. You’re correct... they’re not Division 1 defensive lineman. Hence the forum title “Division V Region 20”.

2. All 4 defensive lineman are outstanding, though Max Evans was SWBL player of the year. Evans, Pelgen are the best defensive lineman in this region and there’s no debate about it. Limon and McMonigle are great additions.

3. Cameron Svarda hasn’t done much at all this year in rushing yards, but has been a great asset in the rushing game per blocks and fakes. There is more to a good running back than how many yards you have on SWBLsports.com.

4. Unlike other schools, Madison spreads their rushing attempts across 4 men. Whiteman, Crim, Phelps and Svarda. Seeing a RB with 2,000 yards from Portsmouth is very impressive and it takes a great running back to do that. But let’s not overlook that Madison has over 3,500 rushing yards on just 400 attempts with 47 rushing TD.
Against sub par opponents. Not taking anything away from them. They are definitely a great football team. But thier numbers should be gaudy.
Old 10-31-18, 07:30 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by P(irate) View Post
Against sub par opponents. Not taking anything away from them. They are definitely a great football team. But thier numbers should be gaudy.
Uh don't know but I would bet Franklin and Valley View are as good as any team on your schedule.
Old 10-31-18, 08:13 PM
All Region

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
I saw some Facebook post earlier this year where Max Evans was on a visit to Air Force and I believe a big school (maybe FCS) in Kentucky. I don't know if he's had a offer but definitely on their radar.

But anyways I think the previous poster clarified his statement with "at this level". I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I have watched a lot of high school football at many levels and I believe Madison has the best d-line I've seen among smaller schools. Any team that hopes to beat them will have to figure out a way to neutralize their impact on the game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-18, 08:40 PM
All Region

Quote:
Uh don't know but I would bet Franklin and Valley View are as good as any team on your schedule.
The SOCII is weak yes. But our OOC schedule was one of the toughest in the state. So there’s that.

Last edited by P(irate); 10-31-18 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 08:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Uh how many D5 teams have any D1 guys?
CHCA from 3 years ago had 5 D1 guys - now playing at Auburn, Ohio St, Air Force, Ohio U and Akron. Madeira has a TE at Purdue. Coldwater's QB is at Eastern Michigan. There are plenty more.

My point is not that Madison is terrible, let's just not crown them as the greatest defense ever. They have tough kids that play hard but they are beatable. I mean this same team lost to Monroe last year. The Monroe Hornets. They have played over 20 games since then but let's see them beat some good teams this year before we crown them the best d-line at this level in history.
Old 10-31-18, 08:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Hartley would beat both those teams by 50. Now they did beats Wheelersburg by 31, so theres that.
Old 10-31-18, 08:58 PM
All Region

Quote:
Hartley would beat both those teams by 50. Now they did beats Wheelersburg by 31, so theres that.
Yes they did. When you give them a short field they capitalize. Burg did that often with4 turnovers. Burg was still right there in the 3rd quarter. But they just couldn’t hang on to the ball. Hard to beat a team when you have to play yourself too.