Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-10-18, 01:48 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I was surprised to see IL get beat by Fairbanks and Riverside, who hadn't scored in their first two games. MP....I figured they would fall to them.
Old 09-10-18, 02:15 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
There's not much room for error for anyone to make the playoffs. All the possible contenders appear to need at least 7 wins to possibly have a shot, with NW needing 8 wins. To be "safe" most need 8 wins with NW needing 9. I could see there being only 1 team (Bellefontaine) running the table to get in. It feels like there's a lot of mushy middle this year IMO. I could see Bellefontaine at 8-2 with 5 other teams with 5-6 wins.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-18, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

Frankly, Northwestern needs to beef up their non-league schedule a bit. Fantastic 50 has them as having around the 4th weakest schedule in D4. Minus the 1-9 season two years ago, they've made a ton of progress over the last 7 years and need to start trying to get to that next level of at least winning the MR division.

They need to get SE and NE off the schedule. Milton-Union is a decent game. They need to get Miami East back on the schedule, and I'd like to see the Greeneview series make a come back. If you look at everyone's schedules, there aren't any good reasons IMO for them to not play Greeneview (week 1), Miami East (week 2) and Milton-Union (week 3).

Old 09-10-18, 03:12 PM
Varsity

hardhead_29 is on a distinguished road
Bellefontaine will probably have to win out to get in and the same for Alder but they play each other. Its a sad state of affairs in the CBC right now. 3/4 of the league is just flat out terrible and the 2-3 remaining teams will look better than what they really are because of it.
Not sure if its just bad luck and a bunch of the schools are on the down swing for talent or what. Wouldn't be a shocker if London and North Union come in next year and win both divisions.
Old 09-10-18, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

A few of the usual suspects are on the downswing at the moment. Shawnee and Tecumseh have fallen off the last few years. Urbana's been way down compared to what they normally are. Indian Lake looks to be way down this year.

I expect London to be really strong the next two years...possibly even better than they are this year even without their stud RB. North Union is usually pretty good. I wouldn't be shocked if they both win league titles next year.

Old 09-10-18, 03:57 PM
All Region

jobarules is on a distinguished road
I would venture to say at least 1 team makes the playoffs with a possibility of a second depending on how the chips fall but yes I agree the CBC has probably never been as bad as it is now. Even last year with the exception of Bellefontaine I thought the league was bad. At one point, Urbana, Shawnee, Tecumseh and Tipp were perennial playoff teams and teams like KR and Bellefontaine were always tough too. The league is way way down
Old 09-10-18, 04:38 PM
All Yappi

It's probably been longer than I think, but for a while I though Indian Lake had some pretty solid teams that were only winning 4-5 games a year with Urbana, Tipp, Bellefontaine, Alder and Lehman Catholic on their schedule. Those teams would probably roll the MR this year.

It may be a convenient excuse, but I think the combination of falling enrollments and football participation around here has hurt the CBC a lot -- and I don't know if it will ever really rebound. I don't think it's a coincidence that Bellefontaine has had some modest growth (thank Honda) and is currently above everyone else.

Old 09-10-18, 05:21 PM
Varsity

Chisel is on a distinguished road
Bellefontaine should win out and be in the playoffs.I can’t wait until next year for the London Bellefontaine game. Bellefontaine returns 90% of their team and should have a season like they did last year with a very good senior class.London should be good as usual.
Old 09-10-18, 05:22 PM
Varsity

Chisel is on a distinguished road
Is London senior dominat this year?
Old 09-11-18, 07:28 AM
Varsity

Football is drying up and its just not in the CBC .The numbers decline ever year in Ohio. Its not just 1 specific thing that causing it. Its a product of todays society on how kids are raised and what is expected from them.
Old 09-11-18, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
Is London senior dominat this year?
I'm led to believe that they play a good number of kids across multiple classes. Information is a bit harder to find on them as the MSL doesn't really have a functional website, and you don't get much out of the Madison Press in terms of stats.

They lose their RB K.J. Price, who's probably the best back in the CBC/OHC footprint this year. However, they have a ton of talent coming up grades 9-11. I do know they have a freshman starting in their secondary that's pretty good. Those classes have whooped on everyone coming up through the ranks.

The coach there has built a pretty good program, and my expectation is that the next couple years will be his best teams so far. They've been trending up and should hit a peak early in their second CBC tenure. I expect them to make some playoff runs and challenge Massie, Valley View, etc. in region 16.

Old 09-11-18, 08:45 AM
All Yappi

London checks in at #9 in D4 in the first AP poll.

They should start 5-0 pretty easily. The back half of their schedule is very tough with 4 Fantastic 50 top-300 teams: #174 Whitehall, #254 Bishop Ready, #289 Columbus Academy and #300 Grandview Heights, who's #4 in the first D6 poll.

Old 09-11-18, 03:06 PM
Varsity

Anyone have any idea on London and North Unions roster sizes?
Old 09-11-18, 05:56 PM
All Region

Union County Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead_29 View Post
Anyone have any idea on London and North Unions roster sizes?
North Union has about 50 boys out for football this year.
Old 09-11-18, 06:21 PM
All Region

Jet19 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm interested in how North Union does against clear fork this Friday. Clear fork seemed to have their way with Alder.
Old 09-11-18, 06:24 PM
All Yappi

Clear Fork is really, really good. Fantastic 50 has them ranked 4th in the state in D4.

Old 09-12-18, 05:25 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Frankly, Northwestern needs to beef up their non-league schedule a bit. Fantastic 50 has them as having around the 4th weakest schedule in D4. Minus the 1-9 season two years ago, they've made a ton of progress over the last 7 years and need to start trying to get to that next level of at least winning the MR division.

They need to get SE and NE off the schedule. Milton-Union is a decent game. They need to get Miami East back on the schedule, and I'd like to see the Greeneview series make a come back. If you look at everyone's schedules, there aren't any good reasons IMO for them to not play Greeneview (week 1), Miami East (week 2) and Milton-Union (week 3).

The Milton team that Northwestern played this year and last isn't par for the course. They are young.
Next 5 years, look for the Bulldogs to be very athletic and good. Northwestern has improved a lot and will continue to improve.
I think they need to look at what you said, Greeneview, East and MU. Northwestern is bigger than those three, maybe schedule a D4 or D3. Get a Valley View or Bellbrook on that schedule. So maybe,
Greeneview, Valley View and MU.
Old 09-12-18, 06:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
The Milton team that Northwestern played this year and last isn't par for the course. They are young.
Next 5 years, look for the Bulldogs to be very athletic and good. Northwestern has improved a lot and will continue to improve.
I think they need to look at what you said, Greeneview, East and MU. Northwestern is bigger than those three, maybe schedule a D4 or D3. Get a Valley View or Bellbrook on that schedule. So maybe,
Greeneview, Valley View and MU.
D3/D4 schools that I'd be interested in would include Thurgood Marshall, Northridge, Oakwood, Miami Trace and Washington Court House. Stebbins (D2) wouldn't be bad either. They aren't ready yet to play a Bellbrook, Valley View or Tipp IMO. Maybe in another 4-5 years if they keep moving in the right direction.

Hopefully the 'Dogs and Warriors continue the series and have some good games in the upcoming years. Big picture I'd like to see NW play the Miami county teams (MU, ME, and Tipp). Three teams that are usually pretty good that all play in different leagues. I doubt Tipp would be interested though, unless NW started consistently winning 7-8 games a year.

Old 09-12-18, 06:40 AM
Varsity

Would be great to see a school like Northwestern start making the playoffs. Beef up the non conference schedule. That helps in more than ways than one.
Is the coach in it for the long haul or is Northwestern a stepping stone?
Old 09-12-18, 06:56 AM
Freshman

ColumbusCatholic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Football is drying up and its just not in the CBC .The numbers decline ever year in Ohio. Its not just 1 specific thing that causing it. Its a product of todays society on how kids are raised and what is expected from them.
There is also a LOT less kids in school than just 20 years ago. over 2000 less high school kids in Clark County....thats a lot of football talent that packed up and moved to Columbus
Old 09-12-18, 07:47 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Quote:
D3/D4 schools that I'd be interested in would include Thurgood Marshall, Northridge, Oakwood, Miami Trace and Washington Court House. Stebbins (D2) wouldn't be bad either. They aren't ready yet to play a Bellbrook, Valley View or Tipp IMO. Maybe in another 4-5 years if they keep moving in the right direction.

Hopefully the 'Dogs and Warriors continue the series and have some good games in the upcoming years. Big picture I'd like to see NW play the Miami county teams (MU, ME, and Tipp). Three teams that are usually pretty good that all play in different leagues. I doubt Tipp would be interested though, unless NW started consistently winning 7-8 games a year.

Once you get MU on the schedule it's hard to change. They typically stay pretty loyal to their scheduled opponents.
Tipp isn't the Tipp from 2-3 years ago. Still tough but not as tough. MU still couldn't compete with them.
I think Northridge and Thurgood would be a waste. They don't win much.
You need them to win. Valley View plays Milton and MU played Bellbrook in league play until a couple of years ago. Milton had success against them. VV is just very good. Typically they whip Milton. Haven't played them since 2008 I believe.
Brookville and Carlisle would be good opponents for NW.
Loved the facilities there at NW.
Old 09-12-18, 08:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Would be great to see a school like Northwestern start making the playoffs. Beef up the non conference schedule. That helps in more than ways than one.
Is the coach in it for the long haul or is Northwestern a stepping stone?
They have little to no margin for error with their current schedule. They have to go at least 8-2 to have any chance, and their schedule does very little to prep them to play a legit playoff team. This year's interesting as I don't think they'll get boat raced by anyone unless they turn it over a ton against KR. They have some chance of winning every game if they play well, but could just as easily lose to 4-5 of their remaining opponents IMO.

It's hard to say. The coach's situation is different than most as he's a non-teacher. I think he's at NW until he can get a Miami county job as he works in Troy. As long as he's working there I'd think he's only leaving for Troy, Tipp, Piqua or Miami East.

Old 09-12-18, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You need them to win. Valley View plays Milton and MU played Bellbrook in league play until a couple of years ago. Milton had success against them. VV is just very good. Typically they whip Milton. Haven't played them since 2008 I believe.
Thurgood isn't bad. They're definitely not what they used to be, but still good for about 5 wins a year. Northridge I agree is bad.

A problem with finding D3/D4 opponents is you have to travel a bit, and NW hasn't been willing to do that for as long as I can remember. Going back about 15 years they've played SE, NE, Greeneview, West Liberty, Catholic Central, Mechanicsburg and now Milton. The only close non-league D3/D4 opponent outside of Tipp is London, who joins next year. I'm not sure I can see them driving west or south of Dayton to play anybody. It would be a first as far as I'm aware.

The facilities are phenomenal. With the new multi-purpose facility they've recently built their football facilities blow any of the similar sized schools in this area out of the water IMO.

Old 09-12-18, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Thurgood isn't bad. They're definitely not what they used to be, but still good for about 5 wins a year. Northridge I agree is bad.

A problem with finding D3/D4 opponents is you have to travel a bit, and NW hasn't been willing to do that for as long as I can remember. Going back about 15 years they've played SE, NE, Greeneview, West Liberty, Catholic Central, Mechanicsburg and now Milton. The only close non-league D3/D4 opponent outside of Tipp is London, who joins next year. I'm not sure I can see them driving west or south of Dayton to play anybody. It would be a first as far as I'm aware.

The facilities are phenomenal. With the new multi-purpose facility they've recently built their football facilities blow any of the similar sized schools in this area out of the water IMO.

Speaking of facilities....Saw Ben Logans recently and wow that field is in some sad, sad shape.
Very uneven and I have never seen a field so crowned before. The corner of the end zone is so far below the crown top it was insane.

but they had great popcorn and concession stand.
Old 09-12-18, 09:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Speaking of facilities....Saw Ben Logans recently and wow that field is in some sad, sad shape.
Very uneven and I have never seen a field so crowned before. The corner of the end zone is so far below the crown top it was insane.

but they had great popcorn and concession stand.
That field was awful back when I played there. Their school property is very rolling/hilly, and it almost seemed like there was minimal to no grading to even out the field.

Old 09-12-18, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
That field was awful back when I played there. Their school property is very rolling/hilly, and it almost seemed like there was minimal to no grading to even out the field.

the one end zone is awful.......and looking down the sidelines, yeah I hope they didn't play someone to grade out that field.
Old 09-12-18, 02:52 PM
Freshman

Gamma Gobbler is on a distinguished road
As far a NW, hats off to them but sometimes I think people want them to walk before they crawl. I totally understand that playoffs are the goal but realistically....Clinton Massie in the first round or Wyoming??? Ouch, that could be a statement that says we don't belong in the playoffs. These are tough azz teams and proven winners. If you want to see where you stand, try schedule one or some other team that is consistently in the top 10 in Region 16. Keep a NE or SE as a game and yes maybe ME but play with the big dogs once and find out how high you can lift that leg in the weeds. Win the MR title first and that is a very real possibility this year, you have a young coach that has brought life to a program and good players that seem to have bought in. Good luck
Old 09-12-18, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Gobbler View Post
As far a NW, hats off to them but sometimes I think people want them to walk before they crawl. I totally understand that playoffs are the goal but realistically....Clinton Massie in the first round or Wyoming??? Ouch, that could be a statement that says we don't belong in the playoffs. These are tough azz teams and proven winners. If you want to see where you stand, try schedule one or some other team that is consistently in the top 10 in Region 16. Keep a NE or SE as a game and yes maybe ME but play with the big dogs once and find out how high you can lift that leg in the weeds. Win the MR title first and that is a very real possibility this year, you have a young coach that has brought life to a program and good players that seem to have bought in. Good luck
I would rather make the playoffs and get smoked in week 11 than not make it all.

Making the playoffs can be a huge boost for the team, school, coaches and kids who are young and not yet decided on what athletic trek they want to take. It brings a lot of excitement even if it means a drubbing.
Old 09-12-18, 07:49 PM
All Yappi

I think most people at NW would take a drubbing to make the playoffs. Frankly, if they ever make the playoffs with their current schedule they pretty much have to go undefeated to miss the top-2 seeds.

Old 09-12-18, 08:09 PM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Once you get MU on the schedule it's hard to change. They typically stay pretty loyal to their scheduled opponents.
Tipp isn't the Tipp from 2-3 years ago. Still tough but not as tough. MU still couldn't compete with them.
Tipp is just as talented as they were in the CBC save 2013, and 2015. Difference is that they are playing competition light years ahead of anyone in the CBC currently. If Tipp was still in the CBC 9-1 or 10-0 wouldn’t be out of the question last year and this year