Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Elder 29 78.38%
Lakota East 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-18, 03:11 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoz View Post
Sir, you must've been watching a different game than me because HD didn't run the triple option.
HD definitely ran the option a lot in that game. Maybe not as extensively as Colerain, but they used it a lot. Still can't believe Elder lost that game.
Old 11-06-18, 03:18 PM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
You are not the only poster to say this, which I find to be very interesting.

How does that work? I gotta admit, Elder has won a few games here at the end but against less than stellar competition. LaSalle finished with a losing record and the Missouri team? YIKES! The Moeller win was "ok" I guess....

I think Elder wins this game but I really would love to see Lakota East come out with a solid game plan and execute it just to see where they are. 5 years ago this would have been a laugher, but I don't think it is now, which is interesting.

I would not feel good now knowing "which team was going to show up?" Just my $0.02.

-CardinalsFan
Well first, Elder beat down St X as handily as Colerain did last week when St X still had their first and second string quarterbacks. Elder also absolutely gave away the game versus St Edwards, a team I think most would regard now as one of a handful of teams that can win it all. So Elder at its best has played with the best toe to toe and at their worst they have been bad vs LaSalle, Winton Woods, St. I's. When the weather is good Elder has been really dominant, especially on offense.
Old 11-06-18, 03:29 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
Elder typically doesn't have a huge playbook, normally 10-15 plays out of lots of formations.
I disagree.
Old 11-06-18, 03:31 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
I disagree.
For sure. Ramsey has a very complex playbook. He just needs to avoid getting QB draw-happy sometimes, as we love to discuss on the Elder board lol.
Old 11-06-18, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
For sure. Ramsey has a very complex playbook. He just needs to avoid getting QB draw-happy sometimes, as we love to discuss on the Elder board lol.
They may only run 10-15 different plays in a given game but there are at least 25-30 different plays in the PlayBook, probably even more than that - many of which can be run out of different formations.
Old 11-06-18, 04:00 PM
All American

tonka is on a distinguished road
https://www.cincinnati.com/videos/sp...source=dlvr.it
Old 11-06-18, 07:32 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They may only run 10-15 different plays in a given game but there are at least 25-30 different plays in the PlayBook, probably even more than that - many of which can be run out of different formations.
Look, I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with the Elder faithful. I am just going on my experiences as a football fan and when I was coaching. The last time I coached against Elder, pre hudl days, we had 4 game films to break down and get our scooting report. When we compiled our scouting report, there were 11 plays ran out of well over 50 formations. That's all. And when we did percentages... Over 80% of the snaps were only 6 plays.

I have also heard Coach Ramsey talk at clinics about his offense and he echoes the simplicity of plays and more formations. It works for them and is a great thing. It makes defensive prep very hard to make sure you are lined up correctly.

I also give him credit as his offenses generally change to fit his personnel. I think back to early 2000s when they had gigantic lineman and bruising backs... All iso, power, etc.... Looked like Wisconsin or Iowa. He gets QBs that move well he moves pocket, RPOs, and your so well loved QB draws.

Ramsey has been very successful and it's hard to argue with his systems.
Old 11-07-18, 11:33 AM
All Yappi

That's all well and good, but as someone who's gone through the program and had relatives in the program - I disagree with your assessment. Though you are correct on the different formations (sometimes just one player in a different spot) and his specialty is the pre-snap movement, ran a lot of that against Moeller last week.

But back to the game - I've heard East likes to give the dive to the FB and the QB also keeps a lot. Do they pitch all that often or run a lot of counters? I assume it's a very similar offense/playbook to Colerain since the HC came from CHS.
Old 11-07-18, 12:04 PM
All Region

wrestlingdad3 is on a distinguished road
Lakota East in an upset.
Old 11-07-18, 12:48 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's all well and good, but as someone who's gone through the program and had relatives in the program - I disagree with your assessment. Though you are correct on the different formations (sometimes just one player in a different spot) and his specialty is the pre-snap movement, ran a lot of that against Moeller last week.

But back to the game - I've heard East likes to give the dive to the FB and the QB also keeps a lot. Do they pitch all that often or run a lot of counters? I assume it's a very similar offense/playbook to Colerain since the HC came from CHS.
I agree, it was frustrating making that scouting report because of "same formations" but with guys in different spots. Like a trips open formation with the X & Y switching on one play, and then another the X & Z, and so on.

Yes, LE runs the same offense as Colerain from what I remember..... Colerain going back some years as Colerain has added to their playbook a little bit, and even have some spread formations these days.
Old 11-07-18, 01:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yes, LE runs the same offense as Colerain from what I remember..... Colerain going back some years as Colerain has added to their playbook a little bit, and even have some spread formations these days.
Does East run any spread concepts?
Old 11-07-18, 04:34 PM
All District

mike45069 is on a distinguished road
From what I have seen of East over the last 5 years in GMC play, here is what they run:
Option, obviously FB, QB, pitchman
Sweep
Counter
Passing:
Fade route
Tight end over the seam
Fullback in the flat

That's about all I have seen them run. With East, they've either overpowered teams at the line of scrimmage with their big offensive lines (Hamilton, Middletown, Oak Hills) or they struggle to move the ball. With their philosophy they will never be that 10-0 or even 9-1 team, and they also will win 5 games against lesser competition. Its those 2 or 3 other games that make or break them. This year they beat Sycamore and Princeton in their 2 fringe games. Shockingly they beat Mason Matt week. First time I've ever seen them best a top 3 GMC team except one time when they beat an 8-1 West team in week 10. They just dont beat teams their own size typically, the years they get 6 or 7 wins, 5 will be bad or under sized GMC teams, and a walnut hills and kings or loveland, both undersized compared to East. Since Elder is not going to be shoved back 4 yards a play, the East offense is going to starve, it won't be close.
Old 11-07-18, 08:17 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Jack Dobrozsi is a good running back for East. Averaging 6.4 yards per carry and the kind of back that can slow down a game if he gets going. Runs hard nosed with a low center of gravity. Reminds me a little of how effective Matt Sora was when he got it going at Mason a couple of years back.
Old 11-07-18, 10:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
Jack Dobrozsi is a good running back for East. Averaging 6.4 yards per carry and the kind of back that can slow down a game if he gets going. Runs hard nosed with a low center of gravity. Reminds me a little of how effective Matt Sora was when he got it going at Mason a couple of years back.
Not good news for Elder fans then as Sora ran for over 240 yards against the Panthers in Round 1 of the 2016 playoffs on 38 carriers.
Old 11-08-18, 09:52 AM
Freshman

sportalker is on a distinguished road
It was an upsetting loss for Moeller. Quite unlucky. Moeller should have beat elder. The refs were on elders side.
Old 11-08-18, 09:55 AM
2018 GMC & GCL Champs!

tofer23 is on a distinguished road
I am not sure that the Lakota East Little Cards will beat Elder, but I do think that they definitely have a chance. If they can cut out turnovers and get a few from Elder, they could shock the GCL S community. A comparable team that Elder lost to is Winton Woods, LE's RB may not be as good as the Beast Mode kid they have at WW, but they lined up and just ran it down Elders throat, this is what LE will try to do as well.

Tofer23's Pick:

Lakota East Little Cards 35

Elder 31

WW by 16!!!
Old 11-08-18, 10:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportalker View Post
It was an upsetting loss for Moeller. Quite unlucky. Moeller should have beat elder. The refs were on elders side.
Referees don't lose you football games 35-0.
Old 11-08-18, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

LE and WW run different offenses. WW is no longer a triple option team they run the spread. Maybe they have similar OL and similar bruising RBs but overall not sure that's the best comparison.
Old 11-08-18, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not good news for Elder fans then as Sora ran for over 240 yards against the Panthers in Round 1 of the 2016 playoffs on 38 carriers.
Different teams. Mason had a solid defense and more support around Sora.
It is ironic Sora averaged 6.4 yards against Elder and Dobrozsi averaged 6.4 yards per carry this year. Personally only got to see East running game once this year so have nothing else to gauge. Hard to imagine East running on Elder. More hard to imagine East slowing down Elder.

Then again Milford showed anything is possible in the right circumstances.
Old 11-08-18, 04:16 PM
2018 GMC & GCL Champs!

Quote:
LE and WW run different offenses. WW is no longer a triple option team they run the spread. Maybe they have similar OL and similar bruising RBs but overall not sure that's the best comparison.
They may line up differently, but WW runs the ball just about as much as LE,
WW threw 10 passes and 39 running plays against Eldurr, which IS similar to what LE is going to attempt against them. Also, yes they do run the spread, the Spread Option! So technically they are an option team.
Old 11-08-18, 09:05 PM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofer23 View Post
They may line up differently, but WW runs the ball just about as much as LE,
WW threw 10 passes and 39 running plays against Eldurr, which IS similar to what LE is going to attempt against them. Also, yes they do run the spread, the Spread Option! So technically they are an option team.
LE may run it a lot however they will be doing it with far less talent than Winton Woods has on both sides of the ball. There is really no comparison. It’s literally the same as saying Colerain and LE is on the same level.
Old 11-09-18, 12:24 AM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
East-Elder Preview

Lakota East hoping to make playoff history against Elder

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...2624ShHOT6dsL/
Old 11-09-18, 07:10 AM
All World

sean007
elders rolls easy
Old 11-09-18, 09:57 AM
2018 GMC & GCL Champs!

I will be very surprised if elders rolls easy vs. LE.
Either way, both teams season will be over no later than 10pm next Friday night.
Old 11-09-18, 10:15 AM
All World

HTFF is on a distinguished road
Elder struggled to a loss the last time they visited Mason for a playoff game. Not sure of a comparison between Dobrozsi and Sora but Sora gave them fits. They knew what mason was going to do and were unable to stop them. So Iím not thinking Elder will roll but may win in a close contest
Old 11-09-18, 11:39 AM
Junior Varsity

bomberinmonroe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Elder typically doesn't have a huge playbook, normally 10-15 plays out of lots of formations.
True, the route trees may be the same, but they are very good at manipulating and confusing defenses with those formations, and identifying the mismatches. I don't think that they are dominant athletically, or are loaded with superior talent, but they execute very well. It's a system thing.
Old 11-09-18, 02:53 PM
All World

JBaller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
Dobrozsi is a much different back than Sora. Sora ran hard, but was smaller and shiftier. Dobrozsi, especially because he is the dive back in the triple option, reminds me of Tommy Tamaska.
Old 11-09-18, 06:38 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Pregame on the Elder network:

http://www.ehsports.com/media/broadcast_page
Old 11-09-18, 07:51 PM
All American

Rabbit is on a distinguished road
How bad was the GMC this year. Watching East, how in the world did this team win 8 games? Wow
Old 11-09-18, 08:00 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
How bad was the GMC this year. Watching East, how in the world did this team win 8 games? Wow
In comparison to the GCL, Colerain would win the GCL outright easily. Fairfield would compete with probably 1 win and possibly 2. After that there is a decent drop off to East and Mason. Neither team would compete very well in the GCL. Maybe a couple closer games but most would be decent sized losses. The rest of the GMC would have running clocks every game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk