Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-08-18, 09:47 PM
All World

Peterson is an unknown quantity at this point
Little Miami to lose Nathan Mahon to Hamilton Big Blue in just a few days

Hate to bust every one in Pantherville's bubble right about playoff times and all but Coach Mahon...he's gone and it's a done deal. In his eyes, he went from the craphouse to the penthouse to the big ol' GMC conference. Come see me in about 14 days. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-18, 08:16 AM
Varsity

Manmythlegeng66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
Hate to bust every one in Pantherville's bubble right about playoff times and all but Coach Mahon...he's gone and it's a done deal. In his eyes, he went from the craphouse to the penthouse to the big ol' GMC conference. Come see me in about 14 days. Thoughts?
It looks like you might be right. All signs in Hamilton says it probably is a go. I know kids on the football team in Hamilton are already talking about it. Its rather interesting the game Friday night is at Hamilton High, crazy coincidence. It sucks for the juniors that they didn't get a senior year for recruitment with him. I know Bill Leach from Princeton/Monroe was added to the LM staff this year as an assistant. I wonder if that part of the exit strategy?

I also wonder if tonight's LM/WW game is the only playoff game Mahon will see at Hamilton as a coach? As I have said before, playing Mason, Lakota East, Colerain, Fairfield every year pretty much means he is starting the year with 4 losses every year. 6-4 does not get you in D1 playoffs!
Old 11-09-18, 08:22 AM
All Ohio

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
I don't understand why he would do this. LM has way more potential then Hamilton.
Old 11-09-18, 08:28 AM
All Region

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull-to-Trap View Post
I don't understand why he would do this. LM has way more potential then Hamilton.
Gotta put yourself in Coach Mahon's shoes for a minute and think about it....do I stay at Little Miami or go to my alma mater where they are going to give me whatever I want (including a massive bump in pay)
Old 11-09-18, 08:29 AM
All District

THE FLOCK is an unknown quantity at this point
Traitor.
Old 11-09-18, 08:29 AM
All Ohio

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSweepAudible22 View Post
Gotta put yourself in Coach Mahon's shoes for a minute and think about it....do I stay at Little Miami or go to my alma mater where they are going to give me whatever I want (including a massive bump in pay)
I guess but I thought he had an over the top gig at LM. Assistant principle and FB coach......
Old 11-09-18, 08:30 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull-to-Trap View Post
It is head scratching. He lives in Morrow as well. He is also tight with Pantling and can probably get his wishes granted on a lot of things. But I think Hamilton might be his dream HS job. Even though I think LM will have more playoff appearances then Hamilton in the next couple years, knowing ego and pride its hard to say no.
Old 11-09-18, 08:31 AM
All Region

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmythlegeng66 View Post
It looks like you might be right. All signs in Hamilton says it probably is a go. I know kids on the football team in Hamilton are already talking about it. Its rather interesting the game Friday night is at Hamilton High, crazy coincidence. It sucks for the juniors that they didn't get a senior year for recruitment with him. I know Bill Leach from Princeton/Monroe was added to the LM staff this year as an assistant. I wonder if that part of the exit strategy?

I also wonder if tonight's LM/WW game is the only playoff game Mahon will see at Hamilton as a coach? As I have said before, playing Mason, Lakota East, Colerain, Fairfield every year pretty much means he is starting the year with 4 losses every year. 6-4 does not get you in D1 playoffs!
I sure hope you're kidding about Leach.....

Little Miami's new AD has known about the Hamilton possibility since midseason. I'm sure he will make a good hire.
Old 11-09-18, 08:36 AM
Varsity

Quote:
I sure hope you're kidding about Leach.....

Little Miami's new AD has known about the Hamilton possibility since midseason. I'm sure he will make a good hire.
Not sure and dont know. They have one coach on the current staff who could take over besides him. But that coach may follow Mahon. I would love to see and outside hire. Maybe a Lasalle connection
Old 11-09-18, 08:38 AM
Varsity

Quote:
you are correct but also, the life span of a Hamilton coach is 3-5 years. But 3 years is Mahon's track record....
Old 11-09-18, 08:38 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
6-4 does not get you in D1 playoffs!
Elder (6-4), Moeller (6-4), St. Xavier (5-5), St. Edward (6-3), Olentangy Liberty (6-4), Gahanna Lincoln (5-5), Westerville Central (5-5), Toledo Start (6-4), and Hubert Heights Wayne (6-3) all made the playoffs this year.
Old 11-09-18, 09:06 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Elder (6-4), Moeller (6-4), St. Xavier (5-5), St. Edward (6-3), Olentangy Liberty (6-4), Gahanna Lincoln (5-5), Westerville Central (5-5), Toledo Start (6-4), and Hubert Heights Wayne (6-3) all made the playoffs this year.
You are correct. But all those teams beat teams that are elite teams that gave the Harbin points. Making it 6-4 with a Hamilton schedule means you would have to beat one of those teams listed or a Moeller or someone along those lines. Or only schedule 9 games. I just dont see that happening.
Old 11-09-18, 09:18 AM
All District

micketty is on a distinguished road
I would have to think if you finish 6-4 and 4-4 in the GMC you would be in the mix for a playoff spot. Sycamore did just that this past year and finished 9th in the Harbins although 4 pts away from the 8th spot.
Any chance that Hamilton could get Edgewood on the schedule in their two non conference games? I know Edgewood likes playing those super tough DIII/IV programs to open their title defense each season but would that not be a good fit? Schools are only 15 mins apart and would generate some great crowds.
Old 11-09-18, 09:28 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by micketty View Post
I would have to think if you finish 6-4 and 4-4 in the GMC you would be in the mix for a playoff spot. Sycamore did just that this past year and finished 9th in the Harbins although 4 pts away from the 8th spot.
Any chance that Hamilton could get Edgewood on the schedule in their two non conference games? I know Edgewood likes playing those super tough DIII/IV programs to open their title defense each season but would that not be a good fit? Schools are only 15 mins apart and would generate some great crowds.
They could. But I dont see Hamilton beating Edgewood. At least right now. Maybe in a couple years but not in the next 2-3. Hamilton reminds me a lot of Princeton's program, they have a lot of tradition, with some winning, but it isnt what it used to be. If a player is talented enough to be a difference maker they have their choice of going to Badin, WW, and Fairfield all within 30 mins. All successful, all open enrollment.
Old 11-09-18, 09:36 AM
All American

marvinlewis08 is on a distinguished road
Like many have said, Hamilton is where coaches go to die...or become irrelevant. Mignery, Place, Jacoby etc etc. I like Coach Mahon, but he too will likely suffer the same fate. The last time a SWOC coach took the job after taking a team to the playoffs for the first time in a long time....didn't end so well.

He will not get a bump in pay at Hamilton. He will make less to work harder. If he's cool with that, then so be it.
Old 11-09-18, 09:38 AM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
They could. But I dont see Hamilton beating Edgewood. At least right now. Maybe in a couple years but not in the next 2-3. Hamilton reminds me a lot of Princeton's program, they have a lot of tradition, with some winning, but it isnt what it used to be. If a player is talented enough to be a difference maker they have their choice of going to Badin, WW, and Fairfield all within 30 mins. All successful, all open enrollment.
Uh, Edgewood will down for at least 2 years.Lose16 starters including the 2 best RBS, QB 2 year, starter, 2 all-legue DES, and one of the bestOGS in the league.Freshman class is just all right but both 7th and 8th teams are loaded.
Old 11-09-18, 09:47 AM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Why would you go to Hamilton where you are playing for 2nd place EVERY year. at best
Old 11-09-18, 10:18 AM
All District

natihsfan is on a distinguished road
In 5 years Hamilton will be hiring a new coach and LM will be still rising and toward the top of the ECC
Old 11-09-18, 10:27 AM
All American

tonka is on a distinguished road
I think you have to look at Mahon's plan all along and not just at the last year. I bet 10 years ago if you told him he would have the opportunity to be the HC at Hamilton he would have said absolutely I will do that. I think all of these steps have been so that he could get his dream job. The LM job was an awful job just 5 years ago. They couldn't win any games or get any community support. Mahon has made them relevant and I do think it will only get better going forward. Going home is special. I think he will do a great job at Hamilton with the sophomore class. If they are able to have success in the next 2 years, the pipeline could refill and then he could be seen as the savior at his home. That has to be his dream.
Old 11-09-18, 10:42 AM
All District

Can anyone point out a kid that chose Badin over Hamilton High to play football or any sport for that matter? I read this all of the time and wonder where that thought comes from. Badin gets catholic grade school kids from Hamilton. The rest of their student athletes come from the surrounding areas-Fairfield, Ross, West Chester. Badin gets the kids that can't play at those bigger schools.
Old 11-09-18, 10:45 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
I think you have to look at Mahon's plan all along and not just at the last year. I bet 10 years ago if you told him he would have the opportunity to be the HC at Hamilton he would have said absolutely I will do that. I think all of these steps have been so that he could get his dream job. The LM job was an awful job just 5 years ago. They couldn't win any games or get any community support. Mahon has made them relevant and I do think it will only get better going forward. Going home is special. I think he will do a great job at Hamilton with the sophomore class. If they are able to have success in the next 2 years, the pipeline could refill and then he could be seen as the savior at his home. That has to be his dream.
Your correct on all parts. But there is a couple major things that will stand in his way, he has to compete with Colerain, Fairfield, Lakota East and Mason every year. And second Hamilton is not a small affluent community that is growing exponentially who will get behind there local boys. Hamilton is a depressed area. Most of the successful kids I know from that area are just trying to get out. The area is riddled with gangs, drugs, and poverty. Its will be very difficult for him to create the type of growth he had in Hamilton. It may be his dream HS job and if he wants to go for it then do it, but good luck!
Old 11-09-18, 10:46 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Can anyone point out a kid that chose Badin over Hamilton High to play football or any sport for that matter? I read this all of the time and wonder where that thought comes from. Badin gets catholic grade school kids from Hamilton. The rest of their student athletes come from the surrounding areas-Fairfield, Ross, West Chester. Badin gets the kids that can't play at those bigger schools.
I can attest to a few. But they aren't well known. Mostly lineman.
Old 11-09-18, 11:04 AM
Junior Varsity

allcincinnatiteam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There have been many that go to Badin to play baseball... The Hamilton LL teams that have gone to Williamsport have had good players from those teams chose Badin over Hamilton. Badin had a D1 baseball kid not too long ago that should have gone to Hamilton... Nichting was the kid's name I think...
Old 11-09-18, 11:18 AM
All American

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Your correct on all parts. But there is a couple major things that will stand in his way, he has to compete with Colerain, Fairfield, Lakota East and Mason every year. And second Hamilton is not a small affluent community that is growing exponentially who will get behind there local boys. Hamilton is a depressed area. Most of the successful kids I know from that area are just trying to get out. The area is riddled with gangs, drugs, and poverty. Its will be very difficult for him to create the type of growth he had in Hamilton. It may be his dream HS job and if he wants to go for it then do it, but good luck!
True. But what if he thinks he can help the community through football. Now that would be making an impact. If he can get kids to turn to sports rather than drugs or gangs than it would be worth more than even winning on the field. I think having a guy in there that has played on that field and can sell that story is huge for Hamilton. He has 2 years to get it right and I think he can do it. There is talent there and I think 6-4 is realistic and attainable.
Old 11-09-18, 11:25 AM
All District

allcincyteam-tj nichting went to st peter in chains on the west side of Hamilton and then attended badin. everyone in his family went to badin as well. I don't believe another kid from that wsll all star team attended badin.
I just keep reading about all the kids that Hamilton loses to badin and I don't see it.
Old 11-09-18, 12:07 PM
All Region

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wasn't the really good tailback they had last year a Hamilton transfer? I'm pretty sure he had to sit the first half of his junior year. He would have played at Hamilton if he stayed.
Old 11-09-18, 12:37 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
allcincyteam-tj nichting went to st peter in chains on the west side of Hamilton and then attended badin. everyone in his family went to badin as well.
Any relation to Chris Nichting who won a state championship at Elder played a couple of seasons in the majors?
Old 11-09-18, 12:51 PM
All District

Lavassa Martin played in 10 games both his junior and senior years. He only played in 5 as a soph but that was a loaded backfield that season. So I'm not sure. My point was its not like its a flood of players as most seem to think.

Also not sure about the Nichting relation to Chris from Elder. His father played at Badin and then XU. His grandfather is in the Roger Bacon HOF.

Not to hijack the Mahon to HHS thread but Nathan Mahon actually went to catholic grade schools in Hamilton before attending HHS. His parents are both Badin grads ironically. One of the Blue's better football players this season also has Badin bloodlines as his father played at BHS. I believe the young man's father may have coached for the Blue this season.
Old 11-09-18, 01:00 PM
Freshman

Trench Bully is on a distinguished road
Wow just wow
Old 11-09-18, 01:02 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Lavassa Martin played in 10 games both his junior and senior years. He only played in 5 as a soph but that was a loaded backfield that season. So I'm not sure. My point was its not like its a flood of players as most seem to think.

Also not sure about the Nichting relation to Chris from Elder. His father played at Badin and then XU. His grandfather is in the Roger Bacon HOF.

Not to hijack the Mahon to HHS thread but Nathan Mahon actually went to catholic grade schools in Hamilton before attending HHS. His parents are both Badin grads ironically. One of the Blue's better football players this season also has Badin bloodlines as his father played at BHS. I believe the young man's father may have coached for the Blue this season.
Good point. But a lot of kids in Hamilton start in Catholic Schools there due to Hamilton being such a poor district. I think the biggest point, if Hamilton has all these quality kids walking the halls, and they just have to be energized, and the sophmore class is that good...then why has every coach who is doing the same exact thing Mahon may be doing failed since Mignery? There were little hiccups of success but nothing sustainable. I think 7-3 is the best they have been in 10 years. It makes me think if its so easy why hasnt it been done yet?

And people do leave Hamilton to go to a different schools. Case in point Michigan recruit Eric All TE for Fairfield used to go to Garfield MS. If I am not mistaking I think he transferred to Fairfield before his Freshman year.