Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-20-18, 10:10 AM
All District

KevinL is on a distinguished road
Track Team = 9 people: Reasoning

I got this as part of an email from our track District rep:

"Cross country is up for the count this fall. Get out and recruit. They will count teams as those that have 5 that finish. The state also has less than 600 hundred teams that compete in T&F because to count as a team there must be 9 that enter and compete at the district meet. They get that # by dividing the number of events (17) by 2 and rounding up. They do the same for similar sports. This is a concern to the association. We are trying to get it reduced. We all know some state championships have been won by 4 or even less."

I know there has been much speculation about this number, here is the justification.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-18, 12:39 PM
All Region

runohio is on a distinguished road
I called the National Federation of High School Athletics office a few years ago. I was told they require 5 athletes for cross country as you need 5 to have a team score. The person said the NFHS leaves it up to the State Associations to decide the number for track & field. They did say most States require only 1 athlete as the school can have a team score. This is especially true when a school with fewer than 9 athletes score in the OHSAA District Championships and has a team score and perhaps an individual District Champion. I called the 5 surrounding States to Ohio Association and they all told me the same thing. “Since 1 person can have a team score their State only requires 1 athlete to count that school as having a program”.

Here is one of my articles on this issue - http://runohio.com/index.php/feature...k-a-field-team

www.runohio.com
Old 06-22-18, 01:52 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
OHSAA has no problem awarding team points to schools entering less than 9 athletes in their post season tournament. The 9 athlete team requirement is totally arbitrary for the purpose of controlling the number of divisions they want to allow for a non-football sport.