Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-22-18, 01:34 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Millennials are the worst tippers, new survey shows

Quote:
When it comes to restaurants, millennials are arguably the best at taking cutesy snapshots of their burgers and kale salads. They are not, however, any good at tipping their servers — or so says a new survey conducted by CreditCard.com.

According to the survey, which polled 1,000 adults of varying age groups, those aged 18-37 were found to be most likely to stiff their waiters and waitresses, with 10 percent admitting to “routinely” leaving no tip at all. A third also said they often leave less than 15 percent.
Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...vey-shows.html
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-18, 01:48 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'm just shocked that the generation that currently has 18-22 year olds are the worst tippers.
Old 06-22-18, 01:51 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
lol
Old 06-22-18, 01:51 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Some of it is showing their preference for a no tipping business model by screwing those who currently make no money without tips and are powerless to affect change.
Old 06-22-18, 02:11 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
No shock here, I think most of us tipped at our worst when we were in that age group. Bigger difference now is that us over 40 probably never ate at sit down, tip style restaurants much when we were that age. We were poor and just ate fast food. The Millineals eat at sit down restaurants weather they can afford it or not.
Old 06-22-18, 02:20 PM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
The Millineals eat at sit down restaurants whether they can afford it or not.
Here, it's always Applebee's and BW3's
Old 06-22-18, 02:24 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
When me and the bros hit the town, it's not a good night unless it starts and ends at TGI Friday's.
Old 06-22-18, 02:33 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
TGI Friday's
Old 06-22-18, 04:20 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Millennials deserve a lot of the flack they get, but this is blatant pandering to the Millennial bashing crowd. It shouldn’t be a shock people in their 20s tip less, it’s been that way forever.
Old 06-22-18, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Boomers must be the worst parents in history. Just look at how their kids behave!
Old 06-22-18, 04:58 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Boomers must be the worst parents in history. Just look at how their kids behave!
Millenials are more likely to be their grandchildren.
Old 06-22-18, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I'd argue the vast majority of Millenials have Boomer parents. Most sources put the Boomers ending in the early to mid-60's.
Old 06-22-18, 05:20 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
The best tippers are former service staff.
Old 06-22-18, 05:20 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Millennials deserve a lot of the flack they get, but this is blatant pandering to the Millennial bashing crowd. It shouldn’t be a shock people in their 20s tip less, it’s been that way forever.
Yep. No surprise Yappi ate it up
Old 06-22-18, 05:26 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Yep. I would agree.
Old 06-23-18, 07:54 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see a study on tipping practices of millennials at Starbucks and other coffee shops, where you order and pick up at the counter. Just wondering if they tend to tip more (if at all) in those instances.
Old 06-23-18, 08:59 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
I'd like to see a study on tipping practices of millennials at Starbucks and other coffee shops, where you order and pick up at the counter. Just wondering if they tend to tip more (if at all) in those instances.
According to a 23-year-old that I just talked to, the answer is: "No. Absolutely not. I already have to pay 6 bucks for a friggin 'unicorn' frappuccino! And, yes, the service staff are salty about it."
Old 06-23-18, 09:10 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballfan1795 View Post
according to a 23-year-old that i just talked to, the answer is: "no. Absolutely not. I already have to pay 6 bucks for a friggin 'unicorn' frappuccino! and, yes, the service staff are salty about it."
Winner. I just spit out my mocha cappucino reading that.
Old 06-23-18, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
No shock here, I think most of us tipped at our worst when we were in that age group. Bigger difference now is that us over 40 probably never ate at sit down, tip style restaurants much when we were that age. We were poor and just ate fast food. The Millineals eat at sit down restaurants weather they can afford it or not.
I hear ya. My money always seems to go a little further on a sunny day 🤔
Old 06-23-18, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I spent part of a winter as a server when I was an 18 yr old HS senior. Great money, experienced older tail to play with - and sometimes do my side work if I asked nicely. Good times, but hard work. It made quite an impression on me.

It always amazed me that some 120 pound woman with a tiny little hand could balance a loaded tray cornering, stopping and going at high speed.
Old 06-23-18, 10:40 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
They would probably not write about it but tipping or lack there of is more of a cultural issue than a millennial issue.
Old 06-23-18, 11:43 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I think this is much more true than any other factor. You serve and wait on people and you're much more understanding of what they're going through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
I'd argue the vast majority of Millenials have Boomer parents. Most sources put the Boomers ending in the early to mid-60's.
I was born in 82, so qualify right on the line for a Millennial, though I always thought I was Gen X when I was growing up. I didn't grow up with a laptop, a cell phone, the internet, etc. My parents were both born in early-mid 50s, so solidly in the baby boomer crowd. Though my two siblings would qualify for Gen X given the standard cutoff of turning 18 in 2000 as the term for "Millennial".

As for tipping.... so, 10% don't tip at all, 33% tip less than 15%. If the 10% is included in the 33% (the phrasing is a bit ambiguous if it's an additional percentage or not), that means 67% are still tipping average 15% or more.

I don't see what this proves other than to bash Millennials. As for me, having done the job shortly after high school... if the service is good, it's 20%, average, 15%, poor, it's whatever rounds up the tab to a nice even number.

For instance, if the tab is 33.20, and service was good, it's probably $40 I'll pay. Average, $38. Poor? I'll just round up to $35 and let them know I didn't stiff them but I wasn't thrilled with the service.

Only a few times in my life did I walk out without leaving a tip. And both times, I'm sure the waiter already knew he was getting nothing just for how horribly incompetent the service was (Got the order wrong--right item, wrong preperation, never checked on drinks, for desert, etc. Just dropped the check off a few seconds after the meal was delivered and never seen or heard from again).

Hell, I had a waiter QUIT while in the middle of a meal before. Just suddenly stopped visiting the table to check on us. Finally, 20-30 minutes of having to call over other waitstaff, the manager told us our waiter had walked out and gave us free desert for the inconvenience. The tip, though, went to the waitress who had basically taken over our table because we kept pestering her to find our waiter or get something for us not knowing at the time what had happened.
Old 06-24-18, 03:06 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
I was born in 82, so qualify right on the line for a Millennial ...
Have to admit that I'm a little surprised, Sykotyk. With all the traveling you do to different stadiums, I just figured you were a much older retiree, lol.
Old 06-24-18, 08:07 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
Have to admit that I'm a little surprised, Sykotyk. With all the traveling you do to different stadiums, I just figured you were a much older retiree, lol.
I thought the same thing.
Old 06-24-18, 08:11 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I spent part of a winter as a server when I was an 18 yr old HS senior. Great money, experienced older tail to play with - and sometimes do my side work if I asked nicely. Good times, but hard work. It made quite an impression on me.

It always amazed me that some 120 pound woman with a tiny little hand could balance a loaded tray cornering, stopping and going at high speed.
I've worked some downright $hitty jobs in my day. Watching waitresses bust their butt, in a place like a busy diner is something else. Like most anything in life you get back what you put in. It is amazing what a smile and a bit of extra effort can do. It is just amazing how some folks just cannot figure that fact out. I pride myself on always tipping well.
Old 06-24-18, 11:36 AM
All Ohio

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
This is probably right but technically Millennials include those in their 30s.
Old 06-24-18, 11:52 AM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Tip 30% or don't go out to eat. 15% if the service sucked. If the food was really bad talk to the manager but don't stiff the servers. I am not the type of person to screw with college kids, working moms, second job mom's, guys down on their luck or some teenager. At least they are out their working.
Old 06-24-18, 11:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I've worked some downright $hitty jobs in my day. Watching waitresses bust their butt, in a place like a busy diner is something else. Like most anything in life you get back what you put in. It is amazing what a smile and a bit of extra effort can do. It is just amazing how some folks just cannot figure that fact out. I pride myself on always tipping well.
Exactly.
Old 06-24-18, 11:58 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
I think this is much more true than any other factor. You serve and wait on people and you're much more understanding of what they're going through.

I was born in 82, so qualify right on the line for a Millennial, though I always thought I was Gen X when I was growing up. I didn't grow up with a laptop, a cell phone, the internet, etc. My parents were both born in early-mid 50s, so solidly in the baby boomer crowd. Though my two siblings would qualify for Gen X given the standard cutoff of turning 18 in 2000 as the term for "Millennial".

As for tipping.... so, 10% don't tip at all, 33% tip less than 15%. If the 10% is included in the 33% (the phrasing is a bit ambiguous if it's an additional percentage or not), that means 67% are still tipping average 15% or more.

I don't see what this proves other than to bash Millennials. As for me, having done the job shortly after high school... if the service is good, it's 20%, average, 15%, poor, it's whatever rounds up the tab to a nice even number.

For instance, if the tab is 33.20, and service was good, it's probably $40 I'll pay. Average, $38. Poor? I'll just round up to $35 and let them know I didn't stiff them but I wasn't thrilled with the service.

Only a few times in my life did I walk out without leaving a tip. And both times, I'm sure the waiter already knew he was getting nothing just for how horribly incompetent the service was (Got the order wrong--right item, wrong preperation, never checked on drinks, for desert, etc. Just dropped the check off a few seconds after the meal was delivered and never seen or heard from again).

Hell, I had a waiter QUIT while in the middle of a meal before. Just suddenly stopped visiting the table to check on us. Finally, 20-30 minutes of having to call over other waitstaff, the manager told us our waiter had walked out and gave us free desert for the inconvenience. The tip, though, went to the waitress who had basically taken over our table because we kept pestering her to find our waiter or get something for us not knowing at the time what had happened.
Your waiter basically stiffed you "!!!, not this again!! He stiffed me last time.....I quit!"
Old 06-24-18, 04:35 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Tip 30% or don't go out to eat. 15% if the service sucked. If the food was really bad talk to the manager but don't stiff the servers. I am not the type of person to screw with college kids, working moms, second job mom's, guys down on their luck or some teenager. At least they are out their working.
30%? That’s extremely generous.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: