Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-04-18, 04:43 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Not diggin' field events at Jesse Owens Stadium

For the most part, I was stuck in the stands for this years state meet and this made watching any of the field events terrible. No one around me knew any heights at the PV or HJ. We were all clueless as to what was going on at the LJ. Shot and Disc ,as always, are just results. I usually walk around, but since the back stretch stands are now construction trailers, it's easier to plop myself in the stands. How do you watch the LJ from straight on? From the stands you can't tell what is going on at the LJ. Too far away. I know you can look at live results, but I want to watch the track meet not my phone. Simple thing like old fashion height indicators for HJ and PV would be good. If you are not right in front of the event, it's all a mystery. Better announcing of the events or perhaps just a simple announcement of the bar being moved to 6'-4" would be sufficient. I know it's been like this for years, but it hasn't been this way for me for years, so I didn't notice how poor the experience is for most of the spectators.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-18, 05:44 AM
Junior Varsity

Napcat2000 is on a distinguished road
I spent about 45 minutes at the LJ and enjoyed the elderly lady cat-calling anyone standing near the portable bleaches to move. Only about 50 people could sit in these stands, so she had plenty of opportunity to yell at people to either sit down or move...Not quite a state quality venue this year at the LJ.
Old 06-04-18, 06:22 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
I know that in 2009-2010 time frame, there were at least some announcements, and that indicators were used on the infield. Were not any used this year?

After checking a few videos over the years from 2010 onward, I see that none were evidently made available. Sad, and another example of how the people in charge of the sport do a piss-poor job of selling the sport to the public. If basic event indicators are not being provided by OSU, then OHSAA NEEDS to take it upon themselves to provide those themselves or contract for those services from Finish Timing. Absolutely PATHETIC!

Last edited by JAVMAN83; 06-04-18 at 06:35 AM..
Old 06-04-18, 06:47 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
We do all that cool stuff for every event we host. Announce to thw crowd the heights.....announce athletes when they are lone competitors etc...
Old 06-04-18, 07:14 AM
All District

KevinL is on a distinguished road
I had an OSU track team member tell me the bleachers on the back side should return by next year. Hoping this is true.

Still no reason not to have an indicator at each event (or even a small scoreboard with name and height/distance).
Old 06-04-18, 07:39 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
Still no reason not to have an indicator at each event (or even a small scoreboard with name and height/distance).
There was a small scoreboard at every field event. It was pointed in the direction of the people watching those events specifically, not at the main stands.

If my recollection is correct, I do not believe they announced the heights of the verticals as often as they have done in the past.
Old 06-04-18, 07:41 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
I had an OSU track team member tell me the bleachers on the back side should return by next year. Hoping this is true.
This is what I was told as well. The construction should be complete. The permanent stands on the backstretch will probably not return, but they will be able to bring in more portable stands at least and place them on the side of the LJ runway. Also, the parking situation in the south lot will be back to "normal."
Old 06-04-18, 08:28 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Not diggin' field events at Jesse Owens Stadium

Maybe they could have the main scoreboard rotate through the field event boards. Watching the HJ the last two years it is actually nice having the height, the competitor, their school and their current place up on the display board as they step up to compete. I do think if the far side stands are back with some sort of decent capacity (and the space to walk around that way) it will make watching the LJ possible. And make the whole place less congested.
Old 06-04-18, 10:50 AM
All District

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
Each Field event did have "indicators" with the name/school and what the bars were set (HJ/PV) at or what the mark was (LJ, thows)., but you had be be able to see it and the crowd/traffic flow was the problem. IF they open up the east side and put some stands in, it will be a lot better.
The LJ situatin was bad; the HJ and PV was not terrible if you were at the spectator area for those events. the throws was OK - like in previous years, but all the crowds seemed bigger this year too
Old 06-04-18, 11:01 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
While the Jesse Owens facility is a nice facility, OSU did a poor job in planning for long term support for track & field fans and competitors. Lack of seating, lack of shaded areas where athletes could cool off or stay cool. The "Shoe" served many generations of athletes provided for the ability to stay cool and do some light warming-up prior to & between races. The newer facility does none of that for athletes. Maybe the state meet should be relocated to one that does?
Old 06-04-18, 11:51 AM
All American

If they get some stands back on the far side the seating for spectators would be OK. For athletes when they used to be able to go inside the softball stadium it really was not bad at all. There was some shade, seating and on the top deck you can see into the stadium.
Old 06-04-18, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
If they get some stands back on the far side the seating for spectators would be OK. For athletes when they used to be able to go inside the softball stadium it really was not bad at all. There was some shade, seating and on the top deck you can see into the stadium.
Loved the bleachers on the backstretch. Always enjoyed watching the pole vault from there. When those bleachers were removed, I loved the softball stadium. We could see everything from the top row 2 years ago and even set up camp at the top of the softball stadium on Saturday of that year's meet. OSU security stopped me dead in my tracks last year. This year, a few athletes were able to take temporary shelter under the main concourse of the softball stadium on Friday, and we were able to use the restrooms, too. However, OSU had security in place on Saturday, and only those with media or OHSAA credentials were allowed into the softball stadium on Saturday.

Reminds me of the Chris Rock bit from years ago about how a kid's play area keeps shrinking when the neighborhood starts going bad. That's what the facility feels like right now due to the construction all around it.
Old 06-04-18, 12:40 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
If I ever get the urge to complain about conditions at the Jess I will drift back to that awful Dayton Welcome Stadium.
Old 06-04-18, 03:31 PM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Maybe they could have the main scoreboard rotate through the field event boards. Watching the HJ the last two years it is actually nice having the height, the competitor, their school and their current place up on the display board as they step up to compete. I do think if the far side stands are back with some sort of decent capacity (and the space to walk around that way) it will make watching the LJ possible. And make the whole place less congested.
The problem here is that we do not have control of the scoreboard as that is strictly up to the television people. We had a scoreboard availability that would show all current standings in each field event but tv people did not see the benefit in that I guess, it was the same one showing the running results. We do show field events at the college meet as o have control of it then. I offered it but they wanted me to supply a full time person to more less run it for them and they would only show it temporarily so it would probably not be able to scroll they them all at one time before they would take it off.
Old 06-04-18, 04:15 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
The boy,s D3 Long Jump was quite an experience. Not all was the Ohsaa’s fault. The first flight went well without a hitch. My athlete jumped first in the 2nd flight, got on the runway then (oh boy)a lightning/rain delay. An hour or so later they are blowing off the runway and bailing water from under the take off board. After an athlete took a scary fall. The powers to be had an almost 25 minute pow wow...then another run way blow off. They brought in another board and decided that wouldn’t help. Decided against using an asphalt take off. Didn’t allow the athletes to warm up again Sigh Sigh. It turned out great for me in the long run.
Old 06-04-18, 06:13 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
I hope that the bleachers come back. As for the planning....i thouhht the same thing. Wouldnt cost muxh to lose some of the parking lot at the end and make is a shaded grass area for team camps.
Old 06-04-18, 09:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
If I ever get the urge to complain about conditions at the Jess I will drift back to that awful Dayton Welcome Stadium.

Yep
Old 06-08-18, 07:46 PM
All Region

FossyWriter8 is on a distinguished road
I'm sure the stands along the east side will return when the construction is finished; I can't think of a reason OSU would not do so.
Don't forget, there is also construction for a wrestling facility on the north side of the track now, which kept people from being along the fence to watch the high jump.
As for not letting people in the softball facility, that is where the media work space was relocated in 2017. I hope they move us back under the west stands when the construction is done.
Of course, the softball facility at OSU is still closer to the track than Dayton's football locker room at Welcome Stadium.