Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-18, 09:24 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Centerville Almost Nonrenews Dave Dobson after 4 straight State Titles

Dayton Daily News Article and Video of BOE meeting

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...vz59awQF03ITL/

Memo sent to the public from the Dobson camp.

Coach David Dobson is at risk of losing his position as Head Coach of Centerville
Girls Cross Country. He needs our help as a community.
Below is a high level overview of the situation at hand, and a call to action that we are asking you to take
on his behalf.
1) There is a small contingency of parents who have been a part of CGXC for the last four years or
less (4-5 families out of 200+ families over the last 4 years) who have a different philosophy on
both the culture and the training for the Centerville Girls Cross Country program.
2) These 4-5 families have had a very clear agenda to have David Dobson removed from his
position. Two of these families have a family member who is also a coach at Centerville High
School. Both men are coaches for the Centerville Boys Cross Country program. These two
coaches have daughters who are members of the Girls Cross Country Team.
3) In an effort to advance their agenda, this vocal minority of families have gone to the Athletic
Director, the Superintendent, and the Centerville Board of Education time after time over the
course of the past year with concerns and false allegations against Coach Dobson.
4) Their concerns and allegations have included, but have not been limited to, the following:
 Hyper-focus on winning rather than concern for individuals and their
growth/improvement throughout the season
 Abusive coaching techniques specifically related to the degree of training of athletes
during practices (i.e holding athletes accountable for their words and actions has been
described as ‘abusive coaching’)
 Over-training of athletes resulting in too many injuries and questionable health of
runners
 Mishandling of team funds
 A general disagreement with training schedules, team-building activities (such as Varsity
Retreat, Team Camp, Tailgate at State Meet, etc.) and other coach-driven team
decisions

5) The Athletic Director and other trusted administrators at CHS have investigated each of these
concerns and allegations thoroughly. For several of these allegations, administrators have called
runners into their offices for one-on-one meetings to get the bottom of the allegations at hand.
After careful investigation of each allegation, the administration has determined that NO
substantiated issues exist with the coaching of this program, and they have communicated their
findings to the Superintendent and the School Board.
6) The Superintendent (Dr. Tom Henderson), the Athletic Director (Rob Dement), and the
Coordinating Principal (John Carroll) are fully supportive of Coach Dobson and are each
recommending that David Dobson continue on as Head Coach of Centerville Girls Cross Country
in the 2018-2019 season.
7) In an extremely rare move, the School Board has asked for David Dobson’s supplemental
contract to be removed from all other Fall Season coaching recommendations from the
Superintendent (which are traditionally voted through without incident in July), so that the five
members of the School Board can vote on his contract separately from all the other contracts.

Three School Board members out of five total have indicated likely intentions to go against the
recommendation of the Superintendent, the Coordinating Principal and the Athletic Director
and to vote no on the renewal of his contract.
8) To date, at least one of the School Board members has listened to, taken phone calls from, and
held meetings with the vocal minority (these same 4-5 families). They have made no efforts to
contact other CGXC families, past or present, to gain a balanced perspective on Coach Dobson’s
integrity, devotion to athletes, and positive impact on the community. They have also made no
effort to contact David Dobson or any of his Assistant Coaches directly to understand the culture
of CGXC and to learn more about the sport of cross country and his particular coaching
philosophy and style.
9) So the question remains: on what grounds are these School Board members basing their
potential decision to vote no on Coach Dobson’s coaching contract for 2018-2019? He has done
nothing that would warrant his dismissal, and that fact has been proven time and again after
painstaking investigations over the last year by trusted school administrators. Coach Dobson has
been an outstanding role model for CHS runners for the last 18 years. He is a nurturing and
caring coach who operates with an unparalleled level of integrity. He has had an immeasurable
positive impact on this school and this community. He has the full support of the Athletic
Director, the Coordinating School Principal, and the Superintendent to continue on as Head
Coach for 2018-2019. How is this man possibly in jeopardy of losing his position?

Call to Action – What can you do:
Please join us in support of Coach Dobson by demanding that the Centerville Board of Education hear
the voices of the parents, athletes, and community members for whom Coach Dobson has had an
impact over the last 18 years as Head Coach of CGXC. Here is how you can help. Please consider doing
not just one of these things, but rather all 3 of these calls to action, as many who are reading this
account are intending to do:
1) Attend the School Board Meeting on Monday, May 21, 2018 at 7:00pm in the South
Commons at Centerville High School. Let’s show the School Board in numbers the support that
Coach Dobson has throughout the community of Centerville and beyond.
2) Prepare to speak for 3 minutes during the “Hearing of the Public” portion of the meeting to let
your voice be heard by the School Board. Here are the notes from the governing document of
the School Board regarding the agenda item labeled “Hearing of the Public”:
“The Board of Education provides this as a convenient opportunity for public comment–before
any official action is taken. The Board President will ask if anyone would like to address the
Board. Speakers are requested to address the Board from the podium, to state their name and
address, and to limit their comments to no more than three (3) minutes as the Board does have
pre-scheduled reports and action items on the agenda. The Board will listen to all who speak,
but generally not engage in discussion or dialogue at this time. Matters requiring follow-up will
be directed to the Superintendent. Individual Board members can be contacted for a set
meeting appointment and written correspondence can be mailed to the Board office.”

3) Write a letter to each individual School Board Member to convey your thoughts and send as
soon as possible via email or snail mail. Even if you plan to speak, please also consider writing a
letter to each board member, because documentation of your voice is equally important so that
the Board Members have something to review either before or after the meeting ends on May
21 and before a final decision is made. Here are the School Board Members and their contact
information. See next page for bullet points as possible suggestions of things to include in your
letter:
1) Dr. David Roer, President
9350 Patriot Woods Ct.
Dayton, OH 45458
(937) 885-3465
roer4PEDS@aol.com
2) Mrs. Annie Self, Vice President
Board of Education Office
111 Virginia Ave.
Dayton, OH 45458
(937) 885-5545
selfca@aol.com
3) Mr. John Doll
10041 Beaufort Run
Dayton, OH 45458
(937) 885-3141
jdoll@djflawfirm.com
4) Mr. Jeff Shroyer
10245 Atchison Rd.
Dayton, OH 45458
(937) 885-7885
shroyer100@aol.com
5) Mrs. Megan Sparks
Board of Education Office
111 Virginia Ave.
Dayton, OH 45458
(937) 433-8841
Megan.Sparks@centerville.k12.oh.us

Dear (Board Member):
 Introduce yourself
 Explain why you are writing to them. As an example: “I have come to learn that Coach
David Dobson is at risk of losing his position as head coach of Centerville Girls Cross
Country.”
 Your reaction to this news
 How you know Coach Dobson
 Your experience, if any, with the Centerville Girls Cross Country Program
 Your thoughts about Coach Dobson as a coach, as a community member, as a person
 The impact that Coach Dobson has had on your family, your life, etc
 If a past athlete of Centerville Girls Cross Country:
o The impact the Cross Country Program has had on your life
o Your experience as an athlete coached by Coach Dobson
 Anything else you might like to include in support of Coach Dobson
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-18, 09:42 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Wow. Totally ridiculous if all true. The mishandling of funds would worry me if. I was him
Old 05-22-18, 01:40 PM
All American

blahblah4everything is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Wow. Totally ridiculous if all true. The mishandling of funds would worry me if. I was him
sounds more like someone should worry about slander and/or libel
Old 05-22-18, 02:00 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah4everything View Post
sounds more like someone should worry about slander and/or libel
Not likely. Libel would have to be published or broadcast statements. You better have a witness willing to testify to spoken slander.
Old 05-23-18, 07:48 AM
All World

the more I think about this the more I feel like this is a rock and a hard place. If the program was ran the way the people that are complaining wants it to and they are not good........coaches end up in the same spot.
Old 05-23-18, 07:52 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
I think you're missing the point. There was a small contingency of parents, apparently 4 to 5 families, that leveled allegations at Coach Dobson that were apparently false. The mishandling of funds was one of those allegations. Why should he be worried if the allegations are false?

Quote:
4) Their concerns and allegations have included, but have not been limited to, the following:
 Hyper-focus on winning rather than concern for individuals and their
growth/improvement throughout the season
 Abusive coaching techniques specifically related to the degree of training of athletes
during practices (i.e holding athletes accountable for their words and actions has been
described as ‘abusive coaching’)
 Over-training of athletes resulting in too many injuries and questionable health of
runners
 Mishandling of team funds
 A general disagreement with training schedules, team-building activities (such as Varsity
Retreat, Team Camp, Tailgate at State Meet, etc.) and other coach-driven team
decisions
In reading the memo that E&V cited, it states that two of the 4 or 5 families (men) are coaches for the Centerville Boys Cross Country program and have daughters who are members of the Girls Cross Country Team. Those coaches are the ones that should be looked at as being non-renewed. It is their apparently false allegations that are ridiculous if it is true that they actually made them. Unfortunately it will be the kids that may suffer the most.

It is sad when a vocal minority of parents are behind something like this. More than likely their precious kids did something that was outside the team rules and the coaches held them accountable. Instead of backing coach Dobson on the issue, the parents sided with their kids and automatically assumed that Coach Dobson was wrong.

This is all a symptom of how many adults are parenting kids today. It is never the kids' fault. It's always someone else. If a kid gets a bad grade or acts out in class it must be the teacher's fault. If the teacher disciplines the student or makes them do extra work that may benefit student they're a bad teacher and a bad person. So the parent goes and complains to someone - a principal or, even worse, an administrator for the district. The parent doesn't bother approaching the teacher with concerns. The same happens when parents have problems with coaches when coaches are doing their jobs. They go to the AD, principal, other administration, or the school board. I would be willing to bet that none of those cowardly families bothered approaching Coach Dobson with their concerns.

My impression of Coach Dobson, from what I know of him, is that he is a good person and coach but has high expectations for his athletes. That is how a coach should be. I haven't been a fan of how he has in the past held his first seven runners out of the district XC meet but if he has the luxury to do that, by coaching a team laden with so much talent, that's his call and I guess it's great that he has the option to do it. Good luck to him and his athletes moving forward and may he rid himself of the problem parents.
Old 05-23-18, 08:11 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
I think you're missing the point. There was a small contingency of parents, apparently 4 to 5 families, that leveled allegations at Coach Dobson that were apparently false. The mishandling of funds was one of those allegations. Why should he be worried if the allegations are false?

In reading the memo that E&V cited, it states that two of the 4 or 5 families (men) are coaches for the Centerville Boys Cross Country program and have daughters who are members of the Girls Cross Country Team. Those coaches are the ones that should be looked at as being non-renewed. It is their apparently false allegations that are ridiculous if it is true that they actually made them. Unfortunately it will be the kids that may suffer the most.

It is sad when a vocal minority of parents are behind something like this. More than likely their precious kids did something that was outside the team rules and the coaches held them accountable. Instead of backing coach Dobson on the issue, the parents sided with their kids and automatically assumed that Coach Dobson was wrong.

This is all a symptom of how many adults are parenting kids today. It is never the kids' fault. It's always someone else. If a kid gets a bad grade or acts out in class it must be the teacher's fault. If the teacher disciplines the student or makes them do extra work that may benefit student they're a bad teacher and a bad person. So the parent goes and complains to someone - a principal or, even worse, an administrator for the district. The parent doesn't bother approaching the teacher with concerns. The same happens when parents have problems with coaches when coaches are doing their jobs. They go to the AD, principal, other administration, or the school board. I would be willing to bet that none of those cowardly families bothered approaching Coach Dobson with their concerns.

My impression of Coach Dobson, from what I know of him, is that he is a good person and coach but has high expectations for his athletes. That is how a coach should be. I haven't been a fan of how he has in the past held his first seven runners out of the district XC meet but if he has the luxury to do that, by coaching a team laden with so much talent, that's his call and I guess it's great that he has the option to do it. Good luck to him and his athletes moving forward and may he rid himself of the problem parents.
very true....he is a good guy and a very good coach in regards to getting results.
Old 05-23-18, 08:36 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post

Robinho 100% agree with you on all accounts.

Accountability! Words cannot express how this is the #1 lacking skill in society today with at-risk youth. It seems that the good families possess this trait and then we have zero accountability with others.

I too have met Coach Dave Dobson and believe he is a good man from the outside looking in.

My two questions:

(1) Are these boys coaches jealous? 4 straight state titles and now you are raising questions.
(2) What are the exact allegations? No direct allegations are listed anywhere. If the allegations were worth being fired--then have a bigger voice and keep pushing.
Old 05-23-18, 11:22 AM
All Region

sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
So why did BOE member Annie Self, the lone vote against Dobson's rehire, not vote for rehire? I would press to understand her reasoning, especially for future decision making.
Closed Thread