Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-02-19, 10:49 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
The 3 toughest wrestlers you ever faced

...and why they were.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-19, 11:42 PM
All Region

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Jeff Knupp (Walsh 98) because, well, he was #1 in the nation. Andy Hampton (Ravenna) because he was a monster and like all Ravenna guys in the 90s, amazing with legs. Knupp was better, Hampton hurt more
Old 01-03-19, 12:10 AM
Varsity

Wrestling1 is on a distinguished road
Micah Jordan (Graham)- Need I explain?
Zane Nelson (Waynedale)- After the match I felt like my shoulder came out of my socket because he cranked on it so hard.
Beau Minnick (Clyde)- Minnick was one of the toughest SOB's I've ever seen on the mat! The score was close but he beat me up pretty good!
Old 01-03-19, 02:34 AM
All District

wlpdrpat is an unknown quantity at this point
The 2 that standout the most from my folkstyle years:
Dennis Marconi (Brooklyn '87) - I had never seen an ankle pick and he had a good one. He had 4 tds before I knew what was happening. He won the state handily with essentially that one move.
Shawn Trent (Kenton '88) - Strongest person I ever wrestled. I beat him in OT but it was an epic battle.
FS/GR - 87 Open Nationals in Las Vegas
Dave Shultz - Ridiculous!! I drew him in the first round of Greco and I actually got the first throw; a nice step around body throw. That was it - he hit two 4s and a 5 and finished me off with a couple Korean rolls. Awesome experience. Just to be on the mat with one of the greats.
Old 01-03-19, 03:29 AM
All District

UsedToBe103 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlpdrpat View Post
FS/GR - 87 Open Nationals in Las Vegas
Dave Shultz - Ridiculous!! I drew him in the first round of Greco and I actually got the first throw; a nice step around body throw. That was it - he hit two 4s and a 5 and finished me off with a couple Korean rolls. Awesome experience. Just to be on the mat with one of the greats.
Wow, can anyone beat that? By the way, what is a Korean Roll? I looked it up on Youtube and Google with no exact matches. I have a guess as to what it is but probably know it by a different name. A link to a video would be helpful.

One match that stands out in my mind was a freestyle match against B.J. Futrell (2x NCAA AA, University World Silver Medalist). He got behind me and lifted to throw me, but instead of launching right away, he took his time, as my feet were dangling in the air, to jack me up a few times so that he'd ensure it was high enough for 5. It felt like I was in the air forever, lol.

Edit: Forgot that we're supposed to list 3.

Nathan Tomasello: It was a live go at the Cleveland State Open mats. He had just finished high school and I was post-college, but that made absolutely no difference. He was in on my legs faster than anyone else I've ever faced.

Max Nowry (5 Fargo FS/GR titles, University World Champ, 2012 & 2018 Olympic/World alternate, 2018 US Open Champ): We were on the same youth team but went to neighboring high schools, so I had the misfortune of facing him at least 3 times per season. Practiced with him many times out of season. Through all our matches and practices, I think I threw him to his back once and got one leg attack takedown. My only other points all those years were from him cutting me. I was always bigger and stronger than him, but his technique was absolutely impeccable.

Darrius Little (NCAA AA, NC State) (sorry adding a fourth because I couldn't decide): Wrestled him in one match and he hit a very explosive blast double off the whistle, with me landing in danger and he proceeding to pin me. Luckily the cameraman didn't start recording until he got his hand raised, because it was awfully embarassing.

Last edited by UsedToBe103; 01-03-19 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Adding more
Old 01-03-19, 03:57 AM
All District

wlpdrpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedToBe103 View Post
By the way, what is a Korean Roll? I looked it up on Youtube and Google with no exact matches.
Honestly, when it happened I had no idea what it was. I had to review the film and ask a few guys before anyone knew what it was and they called it a "Korean". It was a variation of the front head lock gator roll that was used by several guys on the Korean team.

Essentially, with a gator roll you keep your body in the same line as your opponent and with the Korean variation when you roll your body is perpendicular to your opponent and you roll down their back (kind of like opening a can of sardines). Suffice it to say that it is a great way to inflict a lot of pain on your opponent.

I'll see if I can find a video but I don't think it is a commonly instructed technique today as it borders on torture (one of Dave's specialties).
Old 01-03-19, 07:42 AM
All Ohio

Campolongo is on a distinguished road
- J. Jaggers at FS state in '02. Rolled me across the mat, I got up after going out of bounds and put my foot on the line waiting for the whistle. All I saw was the referee's hand gesturing me to stand up straight to shake hands. Had no idea I already lost via TF.

- T.J. Enright at FS/GR event at Harrison H.S. in '02. Actually got out to a 4-2 lead at the break. Needless to say, he decided to try in the 2nd period and I lost via TF on all takedowns (they only counted as 1 pt back then).

- Sean Dahling (Northmont) at St. Xavier tournament in '03. Dahling was a state alternate at 140 lbs then dropped to 130 lbs the following year which is when we wrestled. Nasty on top with bars and halves leaving my body riddled. The kid was on a tear all year then suddenly stopped wrestling for whatever reason. Easily the top kid in the district that year at 130 and was likely a top 6 placer at state.
Old 01-03-19, 09:33 AM
All District

tantal is on a distinguished road
1. Eric Guerrero - Oklahoma State, 3x NCAA champ. Got majored. Was so quick on his feet I had no chance defending his shots.
2. Carl Perry - Illinois. Lost something like 7-2.
3. Doug Schwab - Iowa. Lost to him twice but was close. I hated wrestling Iowa guys because they are just non-stop and never stop beating on your head, at least back in the 90's. I'm sure nothing's changed in that regard.
Old 01-03-19, 10:21 AM
Freshman

Skowrestling is on a distinguished road
1. Bo Jordan- strongest hs wrestler in the history of high school wrestling

2. Jason Tsirtsis- eventual NCAA champion for Northwestern

2. Hunter Stieber- Brilliant HS and college careers
Old 01-03-19, 10:31 AM
All Ohio

yankeescap
Cameron Doggett -- wrestled him in FS @ Dayton Carroll; believe he was a Cadet Double Champ in Fargo; I had no chance! I thought I did, but absolutely no shot!!

Mitch Mueller -- Iowas state champ; eventual Iowa State starter; close, close match that came down to the wire in FS; very strong and technical

Thomas Straughn -- wrestled him at Cadet Nationals in Evanston; I believe he was just finishing his 8th grade year, but might have been the strongest kid I ever wrestled.
Old 01-03-19, 10:59 AM
All District

grizzly22 is on a distinguished road
Patrick Bond - dude was giant..first round at Ironman
Alex Maciag- got the first takedown then it was all him

Dustin Schlatter at Jordan's when I was 9 or 10...this was at the old barn behind his house. Never wrestled free style on my life and got gut wrenched the entire length of the building..
Old 01-03-19, 11:41 AM
All World

cruiser_96 will become famous soon enough
Jesse Clark (Padua Franciscan): Medina first or second round (after a first round bye I’m sure). I blinked and it was 15-0.

Muricco Quimbya (Lorain Southview): it was only 18-3 but those three points were escapes. ...so he could hit me with something high caliber. It was a long 2m 18s.

Curtis Raney (Westerville North): between the whistles, that dude had no regard for human life. Off the mat, he almost seemed like a nice guy.

Last edited by cruiser_96; 01-03-19 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 11:53 AM
All Ohio

craceman is on a distinguished road
I love it! These are good!
Old 01-03-19, 12:07 PM
All District

standup is on a distinguished road
Chertow....Ohio Freestyle state Championship match. At that time
kids from other states could participate. He looked like like a short troll; I thought I was gonna kill him; especially so cause he was from WV.
I lost
Old 01-03-19, 12:35 PM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Brandon Paulson - Olympic Silver Medalist. His hand fighting was tremendous and his gut wrench was worst I ever felt.
Donnell Rawls - DII Nat’l champ and DI 4th. He was a sr and I was a fr in college. Bad combo.
Brandon Howe - AA for MI. Fast and smooth.
Matt Dernlan - in practice, for three years. Fast. Explosive. Mean.

Last edited by BHiatt; 01-04-19 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Missed the “and why”
Old 01-03-19, 01:30 PM
All Region

knightflyer150 is on a distinguished road
Dunyasha Yetts (OSU, NCAA 3rd and B10 Champ) - Was beating me comfortably at the Ohio Open in 1994, when I had the audacity to get a reversal. Yikes. Got worse.

Dan Willaman (Edinboro AA) - I had attended his camp as a high schooler, just six months previous, and through luck and small amounts of skill, I made the semis of a college tournament against him. I was really intimidated, so I gave him a couple of heavy head clubs off the whistle to try to assuage my fear. He choked me out immediately (I had a mask on for a broken nose, which didn't help). I awoke to a clock that showed 2:28 left in the first and a smiling Willaman.

Kyle Ott (many time finalist, Illinois) - I pinned him quickly and then beat him by 60 in Madden Football. Ok, OK, his dad was my college coach. He was like 8 and I was 22. I'm counting it! (side note, Dr. Ott gave a clinic to my wrestlers 6-7 years ago...still super slick and fast after all those knee surgeries. An unreal talent!)

Last edited by knightflyer150; 01-03-19 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 02:26 PM
All Region

Bill Silverado is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campolongo View Post
-

- Sean Dahling (Northmont) at St. Xavier tournament in '03. Dahling was a state alternate at 140 lbs then dropped to 130 lbs the following year which is when we wrestled. Nasty on top with bars and halves leaving my body riddled. The kid was on a tear all year then suddenly stopped wrestling for whatever reason. Easily the top kid in the district that year at 130 and was likely a top 6 placer at state.
I remember this cat. He kind of came out of nowhere and was gone almost as fast.
Old 01-03-19, 02:38 PM
All District

huntergreen is on a distinguished road
Josh Koscheck at nationals my sophomore year. He beat me twice that year, 5-0 at nationals

Greg Jones- national champ at WVU. I think we wrestled 4 times. Fun matches, he was fast.

Don Pritzlaff at the US Open. I can sit comfortably cross legged now because of the leg lace he put on me.

Worst beatings I ever took were from Sonny Marchette at national team camp, and Jim Jordan (I thought he would go easy on me, he did not!)
Old 01-03-19, 02:50 PM
All World

cruiser_96 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
...and Jim Jordan (I thought he would go easy on me, he did not!)
I talked to Jim about this once. I hate to break it to you but he said he WAS taking it easy.
Old 01-03-19, 11:12 PM
Freshman

TFB77 is on a distinguished road
Hey BHiatt,
It is good to see your replacement made ithis list !!
Go Burg and Bell
Old 01-04-19, 01:43 AM
Freshman

LDubLS30 is on a distinguished road
Scott Deluse-Lancaster(7th in State 152 in 2013): Most guys I wrestled I could beat at least once, but Scott was a nut I just couldn't crack. The only guy I wrestled multiple times and never beat.
J.P Newton-Perrysburg(3rd in State 152 in 2013): Kid just dominated me in a 3rd place match. I had been tech'd before but not like this. Tilt city, had me tech'd half way through the 2nd period.
Bo Jordanidn't wrestle him in competition(even though we were in the same weight class) but I wrestled him at the State Champ Camp. And all I can say is I knew he was a great wrestler, but I didn't realize that some guys are just on another level. I found that out quick when I wrestled him. Either my butt or my face was on the mat the entire time. What made it worse was I could tell he was just playing with me.
Old 01-04-19, 02:51 AM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
-Scott Barker- a 2-time state champ from Kentucky (of all places). Got him in a
summer meet in Cincinnati. Whatever I lacked in skill (a lot), I usually made
up for in strength...but when I locked up with this dude, it was as though I
was wrestling 3 weight classes up. One of those guys who was absolutely
immovable.
-Ken Marcum- Delaware Olentangy (3rd state). An absolute whirlwind of
movement & energy. Beat him at Medina with a lucky throw, but if we wrestled
10 times, he beats me 8.
-Dave DiSabato- State champ from DeSales (really slick). Score looked close
(4-2), but I was never really in it...Was an NCAA qualifier later on for Notre
Dame.
Old 01-04-19, 08:16 AM
All World

Joe Daugherty is on a distinguished road
Yetts
Joe or Marty Collins I forget which one.
Herbie Adkins & Dan Hanson beat on me for years. Herbie was nasty mean with the boots.
Old 01-04-19, 08:50 AM
Varsity

BlueGoldHornets is on a distinguished road
College

Tony Purler- OSU - National Champ- St Louis open my freshman year- I wasn't sure who he was but I watched Kenny Monday sit down in the coaches chair and thought right before the match started - oh no - who's this guy he's coaching. His shot was so fast I couldn't see it.

Shawn Harrison- Oklahoma U - AA - St louis open two years later - took him down right of the bat - he got an escape- it was over-s beat me down

High School -
Jeff Benjamin from Dublin before they split- state champ- tough match just came up short
Old 01-04-19, 10:54 AM
Varsity

rr23724 is on a distinguished road
Reed Case (Cadiz) - My freshman year in the district finals. He literally tried to rip my arm off. Rolled my wrist behind my back and stood up as he jumped and yanked on my arm.

Joe Plouse (Akron South) - Took me down like 500 times in the Medina finals on TV. Nothing I could do. He was just as slick as can be.

Herb Adkins (Richmond Heights) - State tournament Freshman year. Pre-match he was sitting on his teams medicine box cracking jokes to the coaches, refs, and table workers. I thought "He is taking me lightly, I have a chance here". He was laughing and smiling all the way until his foot hit the green line then his face just changed to instant focus. It was scary. He proceeded to destroy me for 6 minutes.

Youth Wrestling bonus:

Marcus Mollica - We were like 8 or 9 years old at a youth tournament in Urbana and he growled at me while we shook hands. He then blast doubled me across the mat on the whistle and pinned me in 8 seconds. He growled the whole time.
Old 01-04-19, 02:59 PM
Junior Varsity

JOHNNYPAPESH is on a distinguished road
Logan Stebier
David Taylor
Narshon Garrett
Old 01-04-19, 03:27 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Early 90's: Joey Calhoun, Bethel- Tate; Albert Upchurch, Turpin; Chris Swagger, Harrison.
Old 01-04-19, 03:57 PM
All Region

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYPAPESH View Post
Logan Stebier
David Taylor
Narshon Garrett
Seven national titles...you win!
Old 01-04-19, 05:55 PM
All District

ncanitano is on a distinguished road
1. Jack Griffin - was defending NCAA champ and was coaching at Iowa. I was at the UNI Open and had just beaten the Iowa kid (probably not starter) in OT in the semi's, and he was having none of that in the finals. I was never teched in college, but he got close. I think i got turned in that match more times than the rest of my matches combined all that year. I did take him down though!!!

2. Eric Akin - NCAA runner up and 3x world team member. I actaully beat him somehow using my one and only offensive takedown (elbow shuck) and rode really tough. It was at the same damn UNI Open believe it or not...

3. Shawn Nelson - Multi time SC and all-American. I honestly thought i had a chance in this match and kept the score reasonable but i remember getting beat to the punch every damn time i tried anything...

I would have added Alan Fried, but I never wrestled him in a live match - only practice and practice matches.. He was immensely talented to say the least.
Old 01-04-19, 10:36 PM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB77 View Post
Hey BHiatt,
It is good to see your replacement made ithis list !!
Go Burg and Bell
He can still go!!!