Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Volleyball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-30-18, 03:36 PM
Falcon11 Falcon11 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-02-08
Posts: 156
Falcon11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
This is a new development for Div I as Padua was pushed up because of competitive balance and Walsh has been somewhat of a lower level NCL volleyball school, been happening in Div II for some years. FYI Northern Ohio for Div I & II has primarily been split into an east side of CLE Region that heads south into Summit and Stark Counties and points south and then a west side of CLE Region that heads due west into Toledo and points west; so city wide conferences get split up.

By the way Padua, the chalk to make it to the finals from the 2 Northern Regions, is not the most well liked program in the North Coast Conference. In particular James BeHarry is a tough guy to play for and publicly gets down hard on his girls if he doesn't like what he sees on the court. They also have the worst gym to play volleyball in, low ceiling with exposed beams; the football team also usually sticks around after practice too and plants themselves at the end line and gives the opposing girls a very hard time.
For someone not familiar - It sounds like it must be working for Mr. BeHarry? Granted he may not be making friends, but clearly Padua is doing something right - unless he's just winning due to having more talent that happens to go to his school?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #32  
Old 10-31-18, 12:42 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,470
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon11 View Post
For someone not familiar - It sounds like it must be working for Mr. BeHarry? Granted he may not be making friends, but clearly Padua is doing something right - unless he's just winning due to having more talent that happens to go to his school?
Don't get me wrong, the guy can coach but his style may not be well suited for HS VB. Definitely not lacking for talent either, surprisingly always seems to have a great left handed setter and tall middles. A lot of folks up here want to see what happens if he doesn't get upset and finally plays a much deeper GGCL Div I program in the finals and not a Hartley or Alter.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-01-18, 08:50 PM
PURPLE REIGN PURPLE REIGN is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-17-01
Posts: 5,653
PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Impressive run for GGCL teams continues as each sweeps all four opponents on Saturday. With no one else left, they move on and begin knocking one another off this week

SUA v Ursuline

MM V MND.

I'll predict Ursuline in 4 and MND in 5 but wont be shocked if it's SUA & MM.
MND wins in 5 and Ursuline sweeps.

UA v MND on Sat for the right to play in the Final Four.

UA has not dropped a game yet this postseason. I’ll predict UA in 4.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-01-18, 10:02 PM
satriani satriani is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-21-08
Posts: 218
satriani is on a distinguished road
In the Hudson region:

Solon beat Riverside 3-0

Jackson beat Walsh Jesuit 3-1
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-02-18, 08:35 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,470
Auggie is on a distinguished road
So 3 NCL schools are still alive.

- Padua plays Magnificat, who basically plays a NCL schedule, in the Norwalk Regional final. They probably will have no problem w/ Mags and should punch their Dayton ticket in 3 this Saturday.

- Lake Catholic plays Gilmour for the Div II Regional title in Stow. Neither are as strong as they have been in past years so it will be interesting to see how they do in Dayton and keep the NCL stranglehold on Div II.

Then you have poor Walsh Jesuit. This was going to be their year with a solid team that played very fast but the lack of height finally caught up to them in the post season. Someone told me Jackson had easy swings all evening long and the poor passers from Walsh just could not keep digging out every rocket that was hit at them.

Since there is no general volleyball discussion I do want to also call out the run that Independence is currently on in Div III. They have yet to drop a set in the post season and have one of the best player in the state in Libero Maddy Bilinovic. Not sure if they have all the pieces to win the title but they are fun to watch if you appreciate good defense.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-02-18, 12:38 PM
rdj173123 rdj173123 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 04-14-09
Posts: 10
rdj173123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
So 3 NCL schools are still alive.

- Padua plays Magnificat, who basically plays a NCL schedule, in the Norwalk Regional final. They probably will have no problem w/ Mags and should punch their Dayton ticket in 3 this Saturday.

- Lake Catholic plays Gilmour for the Div II Regional title in Stow. Neither are as strong as they have been in past years so it will be interesting to see how they do in Dayton and keep the NCL stranglehold on Div II.

Then you have poor Walsh Jesuit. This was going to be their year with a solid team that played very fast but the lack of height finally caught up to them in the post season. Someone told me Jackson had easy swings all evening long and the poor passers from Walsh just could not keep digging out every rocket that was hit at them.

Since there is no general volleyball discussion I do want to also call out the run that Independence is currently on in Div III. They have yet to drop a set in the post season and have one of the best player in the state in Libero Maddy Bilinovic. Not sure if they have all the pieces to win the title but they are fun to watch if you appreciate good defense.
I'll join you for some DIII discussion. If I had to guess, state semis will shake out to be Liberty Benton vs. Independence and Versailles vs. Tusky Valley. I think Versailles takes down Tusky Valley with relative ease. They aren't used to the size that Versailles possesses. One of the better matches could be the LB vs. Independence semi. LB has been on a roll lately, taking down the presumed DIII favorite Ottawa-Glandorf. Independence returns a lot from last year's Final Four team that was very young at the time. And as you mentioned, Bilinovic is lights out.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-03-18, 05:06 PM
TriangleMan TriangleMan is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-23-15
Location: Stark County
Posts: 507
TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Watched a block party today as Solon defeated Jackson 3-1. Solon's use of all their front line weapons trumped Jackson's reliance on their two OHs. And Jackson's reluctance to take #3 out of the back row finally caught up to them.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-03-18, 05:43 PM
PURPLE REIGN PURPLE REIGN is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-17-01
Posts: 5,653
PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
So it was another incredible Regional Final in SW Ohio as the two best teams (Ursuline and MND) went toe to toe again.

UA won game one 25-17


UA won game two 25-15


MND won game three 25-22


MND won game four 25-20


And in the fifth set goes 17-15 and the winner is...Ursuline.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-04-18, 06:02 AM
lchsman lchsman is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-13-07
Location: Cougar Country
Posts: 3,117
lchsman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
So 3 NCL schools are still alive.

- Padua plays Magnificat, who basically plays a NCL schedule, in the Norwalk Regional final. They probably will have no problem w/ Mags and should punch their Dayton ticket in 3 this Saturday.

- Lake Catholic plays Gilmour for the Div II Regional title in Stow. Neither are as strong as they have been in past years so it will be interesting to see how they do in Dayton and keep the NCL stranglehold on Div II.

Then you have poor Walsh Jesuit. This was going to be their year with a solid team that played very fast but the lack of height finally caught up to them in the post season. Someone told me Jackson had easy swings all evening long and the poor passers from Walsh just could not keep digging out every rocket that was hit at them.

Since there is no general volleyball discussion I do want to also call out the run that Independence is currently on in Div III. They have yet to drop a set in the post season and have one of the best player in the state in Libero Maddy Bilinovic. Not sure if they have all the pieces to win the title but they are fun to watch if you appreciate good defense.
Lake is peaking at the right time. They looked very impressive yesterday. Third straight year going to Dayton.

Ironically, this is the weakest team of the last 2 that made it to Dayton. And with Padua in D1, this is the best chance they have to win it.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-04-18, 04:57 PM
hoban2020 hoban2020 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-31-13
Posts: 459
hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Ohio Div 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchsman View Post
Lake is peaking at the right time. They looked very impressive yesterday. Third straight year going to Dayton.



Ironically, this is the weakest team of the last 2 that made it to Dayton. And with Padua in D1, this is the best chance they have to win it.

I say Lake play each of the last few years. This year when they beat Hoban, they didn’t look that great.

I saw them vs Crestwood and they looked like a strong team with a nice mix of depth, 3 solid seniors plus a top D1 recruit in Browske who while not physically imposing she is a well-rounded and very smart player.

At a program like Lake, the atmosphere will not overwhelm them. It wouldn’t surprise me if they won in Dayton next weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by hoban2020; 11-05-18 at 12:15 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-05-18, 09:42 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,470
Auggie is on a distinguished road
In Div I it looks like Ursuline Academy and Padua are on a collision course. Solon & Liberty have not played anywhere near the schedules that Ursuline & Padua have and it will be hard for them to keep up with the high level of volleyball they will see if they are not use to it.

For the 1st time in years Div II is wide open and not the NCL invite. I really could see any of the four teams winning it if they get on a good roll.

Div III might be the best pound for pound semis of the bunch, in particular the Tinora vs Independence match is the standout of all the semi matches.

No clue on Div IV, anyone out there know anything about this Division?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-05-18, 03:35 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,470
Auggie is on a distinguished road
The Ohio High School Volleyball Coaches Association All Ohio Teams are out: http://ohsvca.org/index.php/awards/a...ll-ohio-awards

While not as bad as the AP All Ohio in football there are some big head scratchers:

- 1st and 2nd team Div I is basically a setter and 7 hitters, WTF? Give the passers some love.

- Highland has more players that are All Ohio 1st team than all NCL Div II teams for all levels?

- In Div III Maddy Bilinovic doesn't even warrant honorable mention? I find it hard to imagine that her coach would not nominate her, even then enough coaches in the state know who a Penn State libero recruit is and should have written that name on a piece of paper.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-10-18, 08:39 PM
ZfishInMason ZfishInMason is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-31-05
Location: Mason, OH
Posts: 738
ZfishInMason is on a distinguished road
Ursuline Academy d. Padua Franciscan in 3 straight.
25-19, 25-23, 25-23

SW Ohio competition is so fierce... they are battle tested
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-11-18, 01:33 PM
satriani satriani is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-21-08
Posts: 218
satriani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZfishInMason View Post
Ursuline Academy d. Padua Franciscan in 3 straight.
25-19, 25-23, 25-23

SW Ohio competition is so fierce... they are battle tested
That is very true. I thought Padua would win that matchup. Congrats to all the teams that made it to states this year.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-12-18, 10:41 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,470
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Didn't get a chance to watch any of the action on Saturday but while not surprised that Padua lost I am surprised that they could not win a set. Bottom line is they lost to a good team so they tip their hat and hope they get another chance next year.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-12-18, 05:18 PM
PURPLE REIGN PURPLE REIGN is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-17-01
Posts: 5,653
PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Im not a Ursuline fan specifically, but I am a fan of the GGCL. IMO this isnt one of Ursuline's better teams from a talent perspective. Yes, they have a great setter, but this is not a team full of heavily recruited players. They are just so fundamentally sound, do not make mistakes, and are battle tested b/c the league prepares them so well. I'd even argue MND may be the second best team in the state (lost to Ursuline in 5 sets last week). Good luck to all the girls on all the teams who are moving on to play in college or with their next chapter in life.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-13-18, 07:37 AM
mykids1fan mykids1fan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-03-12
Posts: 40
mykids1fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Im not a Ursuline fan specifically, but I am a fan of the GGCL. IMO this isnt one of Ursuline's better teams from a talent perspective. Yes, they have a great setter, but this is not a team full of heavily recruited players. They are just so fundamentally sound, do not make mistakes, and are battle tested b/c the league prepares them so well. I'd even argue MND may be the second best team in the state (lost to Ursuline in 5 sets last week). Good luck to all the girls on all the teams who are moving on to play in college or with their next chapter in life.
According to the OHSAA site (https://ohsaa.org/sports/volleyball/past-results) a GGCL school has won the championship 27 of the 44 years there has been a state tournament. (Ursuline won the AA title in 1975). Since 1993, a GGCL team has won it 20 times of the 26 years.
The break down by team: SUA-2; Mercy-4; Seton-5; UA-7; MND-9
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All star game- Ohio 22 Pa. 20 LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 15 07-16-18 08:12 PM
College Players of The Week - Michigan / Ohio area (04/03) - seclmw Baseball 2 04-03-18 07:21 PM
Ironman bdhof Wrestling 120 12-11-17 09:15 PM
Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team 2018-2020 Ohio TofC Wrestling 11 10-15-17 10:51 PM
Regional Ohio Results HiC Wrestling 4 05-22-17 09:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz