Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-21-18, 01:42 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Billy Graham, preacher to millions, adviser to U.S. presidents, dies at 99

Quote:
U.S. evangelist Billy Graham, who counseled presidents and preached to millions across the world from his native North Carolina to communist North Korea during his 70 years in the pulpit, died on Wednesday at the age of 99, a spokesman said.

Graham died at 8 a.m. EST (1300 GMT) at his home in Montreat, North Carolina, according to Jeremy Blume, a spokesman for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

According to his ministry, he preached Christianity to more people than anyone else in history, reaching hundreds of millions of people either in person or via TV and satellite links.
Read more:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKCN1G51O9
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-18, 02:00 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hopefully he picked the right religion. Otherwise he's in hell right now.
Old 02-21-18, 02:23 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
With hundreds or even thousands of religions that exist today according to some estimates, I'd say that it's very likely he's serving the rest of eternity in hell/damnation.
Old 02-21-18, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
He was the only televangelist that I believed and respected. His message was simple "God loves you" Dont remember him excluding religions or races, but hey whatever floats the clone boat
Old 02-21-18, 04:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
He was the only televangelist that I believed and respected. His message was simple "God loves you" Dont remember him excluding religions or races, but hey whatever floats the clone boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
I cannot recall a whiff of scandal associated with him.
As ronnie said, see his private views on Jews that were exposed. Who knows what other beliefs he expressed when not putting on a show in front of the cameras?

Odds are he's in hell if there is one. Him being your favorite megachurch dude doesn't change that. Sorry
Old 02-21-18, 08:45 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As ronnie said, see his private views on Jews that were exposed. Who knows what other beliefs he expressed when not putting on a show in front of the cameras?

Odds are he's in hell if there is one. Him being your favorite megachurch dude doesn't change that. Sorry
Neither does your opinion of my opinion lol
Old 02-21-18, 08:52 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If Billy Graham is in hell, than their is very little hope for any of us.
Old 02-21-18, 06:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Real cool.
Old 02-23-18, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Old 02-21-18, 02:18 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
America's "Protestant Pope" and spiritual adviser to a number of presidents. I went to one of his rallies ten years ago and was very moved. I am Catholic, but believed him to be a Godly man and a great minister to thousands of Americans. Certain people radiate like Mother Theresa, JPII and the Dali Lama. I would place Graham with those pious individuals. While many charlatans surfaced during the 80's and 90's, fueled by the rise of cable and satellite TV as they pilfered millions from those least able to afford it, Graham was a straight shooter. No "Crystal Cathedral" for him. May he rest in the peace of Christ.
Old 02-21-18, 06:24 PM
All World

Quote:
America's "Protestant Pope" and spiritual adviser to a number of presidents. I went to one of his rallies ten years ago and was very moved. I am Catholic, but believed him to be a Godly man and a great minister to thousands of Americans. Certain people radiate like Mother Theresa, JPII and the Dali Lama. I would place Graham with those pious individuals. While many charlatans surfaced during the 80's and 90's, fueled by the rise of cable and satellite TV as they pilfered millions from those least able to afford it, Graham was a straight shooter. No "Crystal Cathedral" for him. May he rest in the peace of Christ.
I use to watch his rallies on TV, outstanding speaker.
Old 02-21-18, 07:56 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
I use to watch his rallies on TV, outstanding speaker.
I don't think I really understood the respect he had earned as a speaker until of all things, "The Crown." They had a whole episode wrapped around his visit to England. I've watched some of his older vids and I don't get the uniqueness, but with our reverence for British eloquence, it was kind of fun to see them losing it.
Old 02-21-18, 02:30 PM
All World

How can you guys ridicule someone who helped thousands or even millions of people? He was a good and pious man. I cannot recall a whiff of scandal associated with him. In mocking him, you mock all of the good and decent people who looked up to him. I guess that is your thing.
Old 02-21-18, 02:32 PM
All Yappi

Who's mocking him? Just saying I hope he didn't pick the wrong religion

Besides, at best he held questionable views on Jews, said AIDS was judgement from god, and will most likely be boiled in oil due to his greed.
Old 02-21-18, 02:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Who's mocking him? Just saying I hope he didn't pick the wrong religion

Besides, at best he held questionable views on Jews, said AIDS was judgement from god, and will most likely be boiled in oil due to his greed.
Greed? Do you earn more than you need to survive? How much should you have? Where was his conspicuous consumption? Where do you get off judging him? How many thousands of people have you helped?
Old 02-21-18, 02:55 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Based on this thread I'm guessing Graham donated a good portion of his fortune to Price Hill. No way MadMojo gets this defensive over someone unless they donate their time and money to Price Hill.
Old 02-21-18, 02:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Greed? Do you earn more than you need to survive? How much should you have? Where was his conspicuous consumption? Where do you get off judging him? How many thousands of people have you helped?
Where did Graham get off judging people? He gets a pass because his judgments came in the form of religious practice?
Old 02-21-18, 03:02 PM
All World

Quote:
Where did Graham get off judging people? He gets a pass because his judgments came in the form of religious practice?
Please cite examples.
Old 02-21-18, 03:14 PM
All Yappi

Already gave 2 examples above. What about his view that homosexuality is detestable and a sinister form of perversion contributing to the decay of civilization? Lots of judging going on. Wonder what Matthew 7 says about that.
Old 02-21-18, 04:14 PM
All World

He apologized for the comments he made about American Jews almost 50 years ago and had a good relationship with several Jewish leaders and communities here and in Israel. I guess that is not enough for you as you are perfect and non-judgmental as you judge him. I am glad that Christians believe, as he did, in forgiveness. As far as the Aids epidemic is concerned, it is not the first or last time that a worldwide crisis has been called by some, the "judgment/wrath/punishment of God". What of it? As far as gays are concerned, he did not say anything that much of society believed at that time. Taking only the marriage issue, he would be in the same boat as every single Democratic leader of that period.

You fail to see the contrition one makes for past errors and hold people responsible for comments they made in another era, under different circumstances and condemn them (Clinton, Kennedy, Obama too, who held the same views? I doubt it) for it.

The intolerance of those claiming to be tolerant never ceases to amaze me.
Old 02-21-18, 04:22 PM
All World

Quote:
He apologized for the comments he made about American Jews
Only when he was caught. Kind of like wanting credit for apologizing when your wife walks in on your with another woman isn't it?
Old 02-21-18, 04:28 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Wondered how long it would take this thread to head in this direction. 18 minutes. Longer than I thought.
Old 02-21-18, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Wondered how long it would take this thread to head in this direction. 18 minutes. Longer than I thought.
Billy Graham would tell us that we should pray for the clones. Tall task here.

Purplemojo pretty much owning these guys.
Old 02-21-18, 04:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Only when he was caught. Kind of like wanting credit for apologizing when your wife walks in on your with another woman isn't it?
It must be wonderful to be able to read someone's heart. I do not have that ability. So, when Obama said he "evolved" on the issue of gay marriage, I believed him. You probably did as well. Obviously, you are not willing to extend that, benefit of the doubt to people like the Rev. Graham.

What is true, without a doubt, is that many, if not most, American Jews accepted that he was sincere and it is also clear that he was a great friend to the Jews in Israel, and that he loved that country. But you know better. Unlike them, and myself, you can see what was in his heart.

Again, the intolerance of those who claim to be tolerate never ceases to amaze me.
Old 02-21-18, 04:42 PM
All World

Quote:
So, when Obama said he "evolved" on the issue of gay marriage, I believed him.
That makes you gullible, not compassionate.

Quote:
You probably did as well.
Wrong.

Quote:
Again, the intolerance of those who claim to be tolerate never ceases to amaze me.
Exactly my thoughts on televangelists
Old 02-21-18, 04:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts on televangelists
I have never liked them either, but do not see Graham as being of that ilk. I attended one of rallies and it did not cost me a cent. Nor did I feel compelled to donate. I appreciated his message and I wanted to get a different point of view. I am glad I went and was very moved by the experience.
Old 02-21-18, 04:45 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
It must be wonderful to be able to read someone's heart. I do not have that ability. So, when Obama said he "evolved" on the issue of gay marriage, I believed him. You probably did as well. Obviously, you are not willing to extend that, benefit of the doubt to people like the Rev. Graham.

What is true, without a doubt, is that many, if not most, American Jews accepted that he was sincere and it is also clear that he was a great friend to the Jews in Israel, and that he loved that country. But you know better. Unlike them, and myself, you can see what was in his heart.

Neo seems like a turd in real life, but heís pretty consistent in calling out hypocrisy on each side. I donít think heís giving Obama any breaks either.

Anyway, I agree with you, perhaps Graham was contrite. To me, his real sin was building vast wealth on the coattails of religion. He may have preached Jesusí word, but he didnít walk the walk in that regard.
Old 02-22-18, 05:38 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Neo seems like a turd in real life, but he’s pretty consistent in calling out hypocrisy on each side. I don’t think he’s giving Obama any breaks either.

Anyway, I agree with you, perhaps Graham was contrite. To me, his real sin was building vast wealth on the coattails of religion. He may have preached Jesus’ word, but he didn’t walk the walk in that regard.
Sin ? Did the guy take some vow of poverty that I missed ?

He wrote over 30 books. Do you know what he did with his money ?

As others said, $25 million is a fraction of what passed through his control. He could easily have kept far more. He could also have had a tremendous sales career, been an entrepreneur or a CEO.

He WAS 99 year old, after all. The Dow was probably 500, if there was a DJIA, when he was 25

http://time.com/money/5168865/billy-...s-money-greed/

Here is perhaps the most salient point -

Quote:
Grant Wacker, a professor at the Duke University Divinity School and author of America’s Pastor: Billy Graham and the Shaping of a Nation, also says that Graham has led an exemplary life free of financial scandal. “People who didn’t like Billy Graham spent a lot of time trying to find personal violations of his moral and ethical code, and they couldn’t,” Wacker told NPR after Graham’s passing. “They didn’t exist. He was a man who maintained absolute marital fidelity and moral and financial integrity. He was an evangelist who lived the way he preached.”
Some people were always looking for bullets to shoot him with. He never really gave them any.

Is your attitude towards Graham here^ consistent with your other posts about personal wealth over the years ? I'd say no.

This^ is pathetic.
Old 02-21-18, 04:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
He apologized for the comments he made about American Jews almost 50 years ago and had a good relationship with several Jewish leaders and communities here and in Israel. I guess that is not enough for you as you are perfect and non-judgmental as you judge him. I am glad that Christians believe, as he did, in forgiveness. As far as the Aids epidemic is concerned, it is not the first or last time that a worldwide crisis has been called by some, the "judgment/wrath/punishment of God". What of it? As far as gays are concerned, he did not say anything that much of society believed at that time. Taking only the marriage issue, he would be in the same boat as every single Democratic leader of that period.

You fail to see the contrition one makes for past errors and hold people responsible for comments they made in another era, under different circumstances and condemn them (Clinton, Kennedy, Obama too, who held the same views? I doubt it) for it.

The intolerance of those claiming to be tolerant never ceases to amaze me.
Love this strawman. If you disagree with me you're a libtard. Never gets old.

Do you think Graham is boiling in hot oil?
Old 02-21-18, 04:38 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Love this strawman. If you disagree with me you're a libtard. Never gets old.

Do you think Graham is boiling in hot oil?
I was literally called a libtard for saying the US should study the policies and practices of countries with far fewer gun related violence.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: