Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-25-18, 09:23 PM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
The Sporting News - story about Pickerington Football

Pretty cool story about Pickerington’s football success and the number of Pickerington kids currently in the NFL.

http://www.sportingnews.com/recruiti...llege-football
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-18, 09:59 PM
All Ohio

PicktownBandDad is on a distinguished road
Walt, thanks for sharing the link.

It's incredible to think that I and many others have had the pleasure of watching all of these young men play on Friday nights.
Old 04-25-18, 09:59 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Pickerington is probably the most athletic town in Ohio
Old 04-25-18, 10:49 PM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
That's a really well done article. Hope my Cards get a second shot at Pick Central this fall.

-CardinalsFan
Old 04-26-18, 12:16 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Bill does great work. Good article.
Old 04-26-18, 04:56 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
To me, the real story is that The Sporting News still exists?
Old 04-26-18, 05:06 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
That was an awesome story. The bottom ine is the mindset, the work they put in . Yes they have a perfect football demo and talent everywhere but it is the system coaching and the way they push the kids to get a lot out of that ability .

Kind of raises the bar for other CO programs. Not sure we will see this type of success and the amount of good to great players from one District , but I think if you just aspire to what they have over there you will better maximize your potential .
Old 04-26-18, 05:59 AM
Varsity

pantherstat is on a distinguished road
I got to know many of the kids in this story and they are all tremendously awesome kids. Their hard work has paid off for them and their families. I am so proud of what we have going here in Picktown.
Old 05-01-18, 04:44 AM
All District

The Matic is on a distinguished road
All that NFL talent and only 1 state title(this year) between the two of them....
Old 05-01-18, 08:14 AM
Junior Varsity

Killer Nut is on a distinguished road
They recruit very well year in and year out and it shows.
Old 05-01-18, 11:22 AM
All District

LM Panthers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Nut View Post
Not saying they recruit but how does a town of 20,000 have two D1 football teams. They have to be coming from other districts, townships or Cities. I think the 20K is misleading.
Old 05-01-18, 12:16 PM
Scatologist

As with most school districts, the Pickerington school district is not limited to the Pickerington city lines. The district includes large areas/developments outside the city limits, like along Refugee and Harmon Roads
Old 05-01-18, 12:51 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
If by "recruiting", you mean the district offers more opportunity in sports and out than others, you are correct. If you mean some form of cheating, that's the mantra of those who have never gotten the job done.
Old 05-01-18, 12:55 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Athens sent 6’5 Parker Stewart who is the starting freshman Point Guard at Pittsburgh, 6’7 Ibi Watson who went to Michigan in basketball, Now is at Dayton, J’Lana Stone 6’2 pretty good girl athlete, all to Pickerington Central

But today Ohsaa is a joke but every good program recruits in the upper divisions.
Old 05-01-18, 01:18 PM
Scatologist

Why is OHSAA a joke?
Old 05-01-18, 02:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Athens sent 6’5 Parker Stewart who is the starting freshman Point Guard at Pittsburgh, 6’7 Ibi Watson who went to Michigan in basketball, Now is at Dayton, J’Lana Stone 6’2 pretty good girl athlete, all to Pickerington Central

But today Ohsaa is a joke but every good program recruits in the upper divisions.
It is quite disingenuous, if not incorrect, to suggest that Parker Stewart is in any way, shape, or form an Athens product. You know this.
Old 05-01-18, 02:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM Panthers View Post
Not saying they recruit but how does a town of 20,000 have two D1 football teams. They have to be coming from other districts, townships or Cities. I think the 20K is misleading.
Violet Township has 38.5K residents, and the City of Pickerington has 19K. It doesn't exactly sum up to >57k, but this should give you an idea.

Pickerington North, for instance, is either in Violet Twp or on the border of Pickerington/Violet Twp. I can't remember where exactly, but the lines have blurred over the years (maybe its my age.) Residences and locales that are often understood to be "Pickerington" aren't actually in Pickerington, but the township.

The other thing to note is that the overwhelming majority of Pickerington residents send their kids to the public school district. One of the (few) allures about Pickerington specifically, compared to the rest of Fairfield County and in general the southerly/easterly suburbs of Columbus, was (and still is) the quality of public education against the cost of living in the town. Pickerington has one of the largest Catholic parish memberships (Seton) in Central Ohio, but it doesn't have a Catholic grade school; additionally, the community probably only sends 25-30 boys between grades 9-12 to Hartley or St. Charles. Cols. Academy usually has a couple of kids, and some Ned Flanders types are usually good for sending their kids to Fairfield Christian. Newark Catholic gets, like, one every 10 years, and Fairfield County's own Catholic high school has probably only had, like, five families from Pickerington since 2000.
Old 05-01-18, 09:41 PM
All Ohio

Purple Hayes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Pretty cool story about Pickerington’s football success and the number of Pickerington kids currently in the NFL.

http://www.sportingnews.com/recruiti...llege-football
Great article and thanks for sharing the link. I never realized they had that outstanding of a track record.
Old 05-02-18, 11:11 AM
Varsity

thedudeabides is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM Panthers View Post
10,700 enrollment district wide. Two high schools on the smaller side of the DI range.. First few years Central was DII.
Old 05-02-18, 01:07 PM
All District

LM Panthers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Violet Township has 38.5K residents, and the City of Pickerington has 19K. It doesn't exactly sum up to >57k, but this should give you an idea.

Pickerington North, for instance, is either in Violet Twp or on the border of Pickerington/Violet Twp. I can't remember where exactly, but the lines have blurred over the years (maybe its my age.) Residences and locales that are often understood to be "Pickerington" aren't actually in Pickerington, but the township.

The other thing to note is that the overwhelming majority of Pickerington residents send their kids to the public school district. One of the (few) allures about Pickerington specifically, compared to the rest of Fairfield County and in general the southerly/easterly suburbs of Columbus, was (and still is) the quality of public education against the cost of living in the town. Pickerington has one of the largest Catholic parish memberships (Seton) in Central Ohio, but it doesn't have a Catholic grade school; additionally, the community probably only sends 25-30 boys between grades 9-12 to Hartley or St. Charles. Cols. Academy usually has a couple of kids, and some Ned Flanders types are usually good for sending their kids to Fairfield Christian. Newark Catholic gets, like, one every 10 years, and Fairfield County's own Catholic high school has probably only had, like, five families from Pickerington since 2000.
Thanks, the article makes it seem like all this talent is coming from 20,000 people. The same goes with my kids school district the biggest town in Little Miami School district is Morrow with 1100 people but the school has 4900 students. Everyone comes from townships which are in a bunch of smaller cities. I have a Blanchester address but live in Warren county and in the school district of Little Miami.
Old 05-11-18, 11:29 AM
Freshman

Heelinohio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post

Parker Stewart is from somewhere in Tennessee...never played in Pick.
Ibi Watson = good shooter, 6-3 not 6-7;
J'Lana Stone = volleyball player... recruited? really??