Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-31-18, 08:13 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
What Movies Did You Watch in August 2018?

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3816 Creep 2 (US-2017) ... 3.0/8

#3817 Nails (Ireland-2017) ... 4.0/8

#3818 Beyond The Gates (US-2016) ... 2.5/8

#3819 The Rift: Darkside if the Moon (Serbia-2016) ... 3.0/8

#3820 Verónica (Spain-2017) ... 6.0/8

#3821 The Island (US-1980) ... 6.0/8

Last edited by vamp2syd; 08-12-18 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-18, 06:18 PM
All Yappi

Creep 2 (2017)

Horror: A social media video girl with a dying online shows attempts to spark the ratings by interviewing a man who claims to be a serial killer. She doesn't believe him. Found footage style this one should be one I liked more. Mostly improvised it ran its course but the problem I had was since we had seen the Creep we already know the answer which took away the suspense for me.... 3.0/8

Nails (Ireland-2017)

Horror: A woman believes some creepy entity is trying to kill her as she lays in her hospital bed... 4.0/8
Old 08-02-18, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Black Panther 6/8 Liked the story so far as it remained in Wakanda. That Korea excusion was $$$ banging a storyline and the lead bad-guy actor, couldn't. Everyone else was fun. Glossed over, no ignored that their "superior society" was every bit as beligerant to its neighbors, I mean, they do have quite a large army and it was built on a piece of luck, not civil superiority as the story imples. Meteor lands in this continent and it could have been writen about Native Americans. Maybe that will be addressed in the second movie. Any bets?

Avenger's: Infinity War. 4/8 Blah. On a bigger screen, more points but on my small screen it's about the story and this one was slow. Bad guy's motivations explained too late in the movie to view the actions and responses in that context. Yet they plunged on.
Old 08-02-18, 09:37 PM
All Yappi

Across the Great Divide (1976) ... 5.0/8

The fight scene between the dog and wolves looked too real for me.
Old 08-04-18, 07:31 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
America America (1963) - Directed and produced by Elia Kazan and based on the book he authored about his Uncle's late 19th century experience in surviving the abuse and pogroms the Turks committed against the Greek and Armenian people which eventually resulted in genocide (although not recognized by the US government) and his immigration to the US. Too long and slow at times but extremely well acted and tells a very compelling story.

6/8

A Southern Yankee (1948) - Starring Red Skelton as a bumbling bell hop who becomes a Union spy in the South. Good light comedy with Skelton's usual wisecracks and physical comedy. Predating the Court Jester (1955) (a much better film) by seven years, the "paper's in the pocket of the boot with the buckle. The map's in the packet in the pocket of the jacket" routine must have inspired the famous "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true" routine in Court Jester, of course, the way show biz was back then, they were probably both inspired by old vaudeville routines.

4/8

Last edited by Purplemojo; 08-04-18 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 03:17 PM
All Yappi

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) ... 3.5/8

Kind of lost interest after 80 minutes or so....
Old 08-05-18, 08:22 PM
All Yappi

Beyond the Gates (2016)

Horror: A couple of brothers play a strange game in order to save their dad. I liked the 80's style of this movie but that was about it.... 2.5/8

The Rift: Darkside of the Moon (Serbia-2016)

Horror: A team is dispatched to Serbia to locate a fallen satellite but discovers something else. OK, this looked liked something that ScyFy channel would of done... 3.0/8
Old 08-07-18, 04:12 PM
All World

Way Down East (1920) - Lillian Gish was incredible in her performance. The famous frozen river scene was amazing given the technology at the time. D.W. Griffith was simply a genius.

7/8

Last edited by Purplemojo; 08-08-18 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Dumbazz mistake.
Old 08-07-18, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

Verónica (Spain-2017)

Horror: It's a Ouija board movie!!! OK, so Verónica is a teen girl stuck taking care of her 3 younger siblings as mom has to work late hours. Mourning the death of her father she and some friends do a little Ouija action.... I really liked this one as I actually believe that the actions of the characters throughout this film were realistic.... 6.0/8
Old 08-08-18, 05:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Way Down South (1920) - Lillian Gish was incredible in her performance. The famous frozen river scene was amazing given the technology at the time. D.W. Griffith was simply a genius.

7/8
I googled the video. It's "Way Down EAST," which made no sense to me, no matter where I put a mental comma. So, another google.

Quote:
"Down East", also "Downeast", refers to parts of eastern coastal New England and Canada, particularly the U.S. state of Maine and Canada's Maritime Provinces
The author was from upstate NY.
Old 08-08-18, 06:15 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I googled the video. It's "Way Down EAST," which made no sense to me, no matter where I put a mental comma. So, another google.

The author was from upstate NY.
Yeah. Way Down East. Oh well, you knew what I meant.

Last edited by Purplemojo; 08-08-18 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 06:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yeah. Why Down East. Oh well, you knew what I meant.

Actually, no I didn't. I only discovered the correction when I googled "Way Down South Gish" to find that scene you mentioned and "Way Down East" came up. "Down South" made sense to me, so that's why I googled to see what was meant by "Down East."
Old 08-08-18, 05:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Actually, no I didn't. I only discovered the correction when I googled "Way Down South Gish" to find that scene you mentioned and "Way Down East" came up. "Down South" made sense to me, so that's why I googled to see what was meant by "Down East."
If nothing else, watch the frozen river rescue. Amazing.
Old 08-08-18, 05:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
If nothing else, watch the frozen river rescue. Amazing.

I just TOLD you that's what I googled. Try to keep up old guy.

Yeah, it was pretty sweet. Early "CGI." Read up on how they did it. That water fall was about a foot high. The freezing part was the real deal though. Gish had permanent problems with that hand.
Old 08-08-18, 06:34 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Some of those 1920's movies special effects were amazing. "Metropolis" from 1927 is a great sci-fi flick by any standards.

Lillian Gish "The First Lady of American Cinema" was born in Springfield, OH. Her sister Dorothy Gish was also a major movie star and born in Dayton, OH.
Old 08-09-18, 03:06 PM
All Yappi

Secretariat 5/8 Mostly made me wish there were decent recordings of the original races to be found. Found nothing but low resolution. I thought the movie did a good job of setting the time, the mood and why the horse caught the nation's attention.

Cinderella Man 8/8 I'm a sucker for this movie. One of the best opening scenes, when he's too full to eat his slice of baloney, love every bit of the dialogue and my favorite Crowe and Giamatti performances. Read some hack bemoaning why waste time on this era of boxing when there was better boxing and more socially relevant (his opinion) topics. Joe Louis himself called Braddock the bravest fighter he faced.

Batman Begins 3/8 How hard can it be to cast a girlfriend? And they call this an "American" movie? Where are the Americans?

The Dark Knight 5/8 How hard can it be to cast a girlfriend? Didn't play as well on rewatch as I thought it would. 5/8 was generous. Even Ledger's performance was less than I remember. Maybe I like the Gotham Joker more (he definitely channels Nickelson AND Ledger AND Hamil) and no one touches Skywalker's.
Old 08-09-18, 03:20 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 4.5/8

A lot better than I expected
Old 08-11-18, 11:17 AM
All World

The Lost Brigade (1993) - Being the dog days of summer, I thought it was a good time to watch a good/bad movie and so I watched a film so bad it went direct to video and did so time and time again under four different names. Martin Sheen is the big name star in this film but only appears in the first five minute in a role of no consequence. The concept was very appealing, a Confederate brigade is wiped out during a battle in the Civil War and comes back as a zombie army. The idea that the carnage and inhumanity of the Civil War would create a variety of ghouls always intrigued me. In the movie Near Dark (1987) its main vampire becomes one as he was a wounded Confederate officer as vampires fed themselves on the men dying on a battlefield.

The acting was spotty and ran the gamut of fairly bad to fairly good. The military aspect was awful as the characters acted as if they knew nothing of military customs, tactics or life in the field. The ending however included a very satisfying traditional way of fighting the undead and made perfect sense within that universe.

4/8
Old 08-11-18, 10:13 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
3/8

Three Billboards - Extremely disappointed in this movie. It just kind of came up that we would watch this movie. Not the kind of movie that I would pick out on my own but was interested in seeing it because of the hype. First 15-20 minutes of the movie, I was wondering what bizarro world this was from. They had cellphones, so this wasn't suppose to be from the 90s or 80s but the dialogue made it seem that way. The acting was very good, the direction was terrible. It reminded me of Hollywood movies that went to far away lands (ex.: Egypt, Japan, Russia) and tried to tell us what life was like in those areas without the director having a clue. Almost everyone in the movie was racist, belligerent, uneducated, incompetent, and/or crazy. Woody Herrelson was the only redeeming character in the movie.

Not sure what the hype was about. Not a great movie nor a great story.
Old 08-12-18, 08:55 AM
All World

A Quite Place - Great story and well executed film. The acting was great. The two older kids were very convincing. The scifi story was logical and compelling with a satisfying ending.

6/8
Old 08-12-18, 03:49 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
3/8

Three Billboards - Extremely disappointed in this movie. It just kind of came up that we would watch this movie. Not the kind of movie that I would pick out on my own but was interested in seeing it because of the hype. First 15-20 minutes of the movie, I was wondering what bizarro world this was from. They had cellphones, so this wasn't suppose to be from the 90s or 80s but the dialogue made it seem that way. The acting was very good, the direction was terrible. It reminded me of Hollywood movies that went to far away lands (ex.: Egypt, Japan, Russia) and tried to tell us what life was like in those areas without the director having a clue. Almost everyone in the movie was racist, belligerent, uneducated, incompetent, and/or crazy. Woody Herrelson was the only redeeming character in the movie.

Not sure what the hype was about. Not a great movie nor a great story.
I graded it a bit higher due to the craftsmanship and Woody's acting. What bothered me most was the silliness of all of the unpunished serious crimes like attempted murder, arson and felonious assault which the police department just shrugged off as no big deal. That part of the story was just stupid and assumed the audience was just as stupid as they were.

Last edited by Purplemojo; 08-12-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 04:12 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
A Quite Place - Great story and well executed film. The acting was great. The two older kids were very convincing. The scifi story was logical and compelling with a satisfying ending.

6/8
I had ZERO expectations going into this one and came away feeling the exact same way as you did. Was pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-12-18, 04:13 PM
All World

I too ranked Three Billboards higher but again I think it was because I had lowered expectations and the acting turned out to be pretty good. Woody, Frances, and Rockwell all did fantastic but I can certainly see how it would seem this was put together by someone who has never been to a small town in their life.
Old 08-12-18, 04:16 PM
All World

Three Identical Strangers - 6/8

Watched on a flight to LA to kill time. Very intriguing story about triplets who were put up for adoption and then separated. They all end up finding each other around 19 years old and then, after some digging, realize there were other motives to their separation (nature vs. nurture).
Old 08-12-18, 09:18 PM
All Yappi

The Island (1980)

Action/Horror: Blair Maynard (Michael Cane) is ex military but now a journalist investigates mysterious deaths of boaters far off the coast of Florida. Stuck with his 12 year old son for the weekend the two end up in a whirl of hurt..... 6.0/8
Old 08-13-18, 09:43 AM
All District

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Christopher Robins 3/8-Winnie the Pooh comes back to an adult Christopher Robins when his life becomes complicated with grown responsibility and problems. Animation/puppets were outstanding, but story line was blah. Even fell asleep in the theater for a brief moment.

Breaking In 3/8Gabrielle Union goes to her estranged, criminal father's home to sell it after his murder to be surprised by criminals, who killed him, looking for a safe full of cash somewhere in the house that turns out to be a well secured fortress. Plenty of action and bad guys and Union is a bad$$$ as the protective mother trying to save her children. But the story never gets into what her father was involved in or why they became estranged. Very weak character build up and shallow story line.
Old 08-13-18, 03:31 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
Christopher Robins 3/8-Winnie the Pooh comes back to an adult Christopher Robins when his life becomes complicated with grown responsibility and problems. Animation/puppets were outstanding, but story line was blah. Even fell asleep in the theater for a brief moment.
I am very much bothered that Disney is ignoring the childhood trauma and the lifelong damage done to the real Christopher Robin due to the exploitation of his childhood. By his father using the child's real name and using the child on promotional tours and other events he was forever marked as a teddy bear's best friend. His experience in the army during WWI was especially difficult. All of that came out last year in the film, Good-by Christopher Robin (2017). For Disney to ignore the real story and try to make a buck off of a fairy tale ending to a real and tragic life is offensive.
Old 08-13-18, 03:42 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
His father was in WWI. He couldn't fight in WW2 but ended up being an engineer or something.

Goodbye Christopher Robin isn't really a biography, so I mean I'd tone down the outrage. As a movie, I thought it was pretty average.
Old 08-13-18, 06:41 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
The Package (Netflix) 1/8

I should’ve known... I mean this when I say it, it was probably the dumbest movie I’ve ever seen. I only made it halfway through so I don’t know how it ends. It’s about a group of kids who go on a spring break trip in the Woods and one of them accidentally cuts his “junk” off with a knife. When he’s transported to a hospital, his friends must find it and deliver it to him to be reattached before time runs out...
Old 08-13-18, 07:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
His father was in WWI. He couldn't fight in WW2 but ended up being an engineer or something.

Goodbye Christopher Robin isn't really a biography, so I mean I'd tone down the outrage. As a movie, I thought it was pretty average.
You are right, I left off a "I". His father was terribly affected by WWI and he, Christopher Robin served in WWII.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: