Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-12-18, 03:17 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
PGA Championship

Tiger making a run. Just finished the 8th hole and is 2 strokes off the lead at -10. Tied with three others.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-18, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Does he even attempt to hit a fairway at this point?
Old 08-12-18, 03:45 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Go Tiger!! Best thing to happen to golf since he was the best thing to happen to golf.
Old 08-12-18, 04:45 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Everybody losing their **** over Tiger while Adam Scott is sneaking up into the lead. Koepka can't make a putt.
Old 08-12-18, 05:21 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Koepka making them now when it counts.
Old 08-12-18, 06:40 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Tiger finished 2 back of the winner, Brooks Koepka.

I'm betting this will be one of the highest rated PGA events in the last few years.
Old 08-12-18, 06:55 PM
All Yappi

If Koepka could have made some putts, he'd have won by 5 or 6.
Old 08-12-18, 08:47 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Tour comes to my home this week. I hope Tiger comes. Sedgefield CC is a Donald Ross course.

Scores should be low as long as it keeps raining like it has. Winter kill did a big number on the course, but the team has it in good shape.
Old 08-13-18, 05:56 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Nothing like the madness to follow Tiger,made for a great Sunday afternoon.
Old 08-13-18, 08:35 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Tiger was awesome yesterday.

Koepka is f**king ice under pressure
Old 08-13-18, 08:50 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
The days of chubby non-athletic golfers winning majors seems to be over, Bruce Koepka is one fit dude. Hopefully it is not aided by chemical resources.

Old 08-13-18, 09:00 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
For the first time all summer, I actually watched a significant part of a golf match yesterday. Obviously, with Tiger in contention, I wasn't the only one. Just a few observations...

This one of those chicken / egg observations, but how do the networks set themselves up for failure by putting so much promotion on one player, i.e. Tiger?? Now many will say Tiger brings the attention, and the media just reports, but we all know that type of reporting is from the 1950's and prior. Today it's all about "ratings" and "hits" and name recognition.
Quickly ask yourself if you knew that Brooks Koepka, who by the way won yesterday, has won 3 of the 6 majors he's been in, including two in 2018?? Of course not. Unless you are an ardent golf fan, you barley have heard of the guy because he doesn't have a Nike contract and commercials or Under Armor, he's a regular looking guy (although he does look like he could play on the gridiron on Sunday's) but he, like alot of the younger, successful golfers, are anonymous. Are they anonymous because no one pays attention, or are we just in an age where you have to look different or act different to be a known golfer??

That said, yesterday was compelling. Tiger played better than he has in years, making shot after shot down the back 9, he looked like Tiger 15 years ago. But credit Koepka, he didn't blink and also made shot after shot. Yesterday was day when Tiger really should have won, he played well enough and Koepka was just better. What if Tiger never gets this close again? It certainly appears he is healthy, and feels good, but now it's going to be quite some time before the next major, the Masters next spring. Who knows how his body is then. Also remember that there is more- better young golfers today than ever before, largely due to Tiger's influence when most of his competition was in diapers and grew up idolizing Tiger.
Old 08-13-18, 09:02 AM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
I noticed - and hoped - the same thing. Kipka's close to as fit as I am.
Old 08-13-18, 09:21 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
For the first time all summer, I actually watched a significant part of a golf match yesterday. Obviously, with Tiger in contention, I wasn't the only one. Just a few observations...

This one of those chicken / egg observations, but how do the networks set themselves up for failure by putting so much promotion on one player, i.e. Tiger?? Now many will say Tiger brings the attention, and the media just reports, but we all know that type of reporting is from the 1950's and prior. Today it's all about "ratings" and "hits" and name recognition.
Quickly ask yourself if you knew that Brooks Koepka, who by the way won yesterday, has won 3 of the 6 majors he's been in, including two in 2018?? Of course not. Unless you are an ardent golf fan, you barley have heard of the guy because he doesn't have a Nike contract and commercials or Under Armor, he's a regular looking guy (although he does look like he could play on the gridiron on Sunday's) but he, like alot of the younger, successful golfers, are anonymous. Are they anonymous because no one pays attention, or are we just in an age where you have to look different or act different to be a known golfer??
Yes, and I'm guessing a lot other people knew that as well. Koepka was the first guy in almost 30 years to win back to back us opens and you think the guy is unknown to golf fans?
Old 08-13-18, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

That said, yesterday was compelling. Tiger played better than he has in years, making shot after shot down the back 9, he looked like Tiger 15 years ago. But credit Koepka, he didn't blink and also made shot after shot. Yesterday was day when Tiger really should have won, he played well enough and Koepka was just better. What if Tiger never gets this close again? It certainly appears he is healthy, and feels good, but now it's going to be quite some time before the next major, the Masters next spring. Who knows how his body is then. Also remember that there is more- better young golfers today than ever before, largely due to Tiger's influence when most of his competition was in diapers and grew up idolizing Tiger.
Well...ummmm...Koepka has a major deal with NIKE and he's played in over 20 majors. Wow.
Old 08-13-18, 10:32 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Look at the pic above your post. I do believe Koepka has a Nike contract.

Koepka also makes an appearance in the Michelob Ultra commercial with mostly weekend warrior types singing about how they like beer (not that Mich Ultra is really beer ). Actor Chris Pratt and female distance runner Shalane Flanagan are also in the commercial. A few golfers have some nationwide commercials, but nobody is being marketed as aggressively as Woods was in the late '90s and early to mid '00s. At that time, Nike was trying to penetrate the golf equipment market (clubs and balls). Nike recently withdrew from that market. What has hurt Koepka most is his lack of contending in other tour events which he acknowledged in his post-trophy interview when he said he needed to find a way to take the focus he has in majors and carry it over to the regular events.

As for the rest of your post, I don't think the networks care that much if Woods wins or not. They just need him to be close enough to contention on the weekend that they can do whatever is necessary to manipulate their leaderboard graphics and show as much of him as possible to get the channel surfers to drop the remote.

When the final group reached 18, either Nantz or Faldo asked Peter Kostis if all the photographers had stuck around 18 after Woods finished in order to watch Koepka and Scott. Ironically, Kostis responded that many hadn't and that it was a shame that the final pairing had played in relative anonymity despite the fact that they played a good round. What do you expect when your own network is spending more time focusing on Woods signing his scorecard than it spent on the other players who are still on the course? CBS must've set a quota for how many times to show Woods making his birdie putt on 18. Truth be told, I prefer the coverage when Woods is not in contention. The networks might be forced to show a little more golf in that case.

Given how poorly his tournament began on Thursday (+3 after 2 holes, IIRC), Woods played far better than I expected, but I would say that, had he played like he did this weekend, he wouldn't have been anywhere near contention in many Open Championships and U.S. Opens where the penalty for not hitting the fairway is generally far more severe than it was this past weekend. I was amazed at how many players drew great lies and had clear shots at the flag following errant tee shots this weekend. These guys hit it so far off the tee anymore that it hardly seems to matter where the ball ends up. If they find real trouble, they often manage to get relief from it.

Will Woods win another major? He played well, but I don't know that his best these days is any better than the best from the other current top players in the game. It's going to be difficult but not impossible. IMHO, the top of the heap right now is much more skilled than it was when Woods was dominating. When Woods was on top, all he had to deal with was Duval for a couple years, a very inconsistent Mickelson, and a Garcia who was the Fowler of his day with his constant presence near the top of the leaderboard but an inability to take the lead and finish on the weekend. His closest battles in majors were against guys like Bob May, Chris DiMarco, and Rocco Mediate. Also, at his current age and with his history of back problems, how often is Woods likely to string together 4 consecutive good days?

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 08-13-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Checked out Keopka's bio a little closer, interesting career. Cut his teeth in over seas tours and has been fairly mediocre domestically except in the majors. Has won 2 US Opens and now a PGA title in matter of 13 months, had to pull out of the 2018 Masters due to a wrist injury but just missed the top 10 in 2017. Finished 6th in the 2017 British Open. 3-1 in the 2016 Ryder Cup. Guy is money in the big events.
Old 08-13-18, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

It's insane how he just pipes drive after drive straight down the middle of the fairway, well over 300 yards out
Old 08-13-18, 11:31 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post

Koepka also makes an appearance in the Michelob Ultra commercial with mostly weekend warrior types singing about how they like beer (not that Mich Ultra is really beer ). Actor Chris Pratt and female distance runner Shalane Flanagan are also in the commercial. A few golfers have some nationwide commercials, but nobody is being marketed as aggressively as Woods was in the late '90s and early to mid '00s. At that time, Nike was trying to penetrate the golf equipment market (clubs and balls). Nike recently withdrew from that market. What has hurt Koepka most is his lack of contending in other tour events which he acknowledged in his post-trophy interview when he said he needed to find a way to take the focus he has in majors and carry it over to the regular events.

As for the rest of your post, I don't think the networks care that much if Woods wins or not. They just need him to be close enough to contention on the weekend that they can do whatever is necessary to manipulate their leaderboard graphics and show as much of him as possible to get the channel surfers to drop the remote.

When the final group reached 18, either Nantz or Faldo asked Peter Kostis if all the photographers had stuck around 18 after Woods finished in order to watch Koepka and Scott. Ironically, Kostis responded that many hadn't and that it was a shame that the final pairing had played in relative anonymity despite the fact that they played a good round. What do you expect when your own network is spending more time focusing on Woods signing his scorecard than it spent on the other players who are still on the course? CBS must've set a quota for how many times to show Woods making his birdie putt on 18. Truth be told, I prefer the coverage when Woods is not in contention. The networks might be forced to show a little more golf in that case.

Given how poorly his tournament began on Thursday (+3 after 2 holes, IIRC), Woods played far better than I expected, but I would say that, had he played like he did this weekend, he wouldn't have been anywhere near contention in many Open Championships and U.S. Opens where the penalty for not hitting the fairway is generally far more severe than it was this past weekend. I was amazed at how many players drew great lies and had clear shots at the flag following errant tee shots this weekend. These guys hit it so far off the tee anymore that it hardly seems to matter where the ball ends up. If they find real trouble, they often manage to get relief from it.:
My disgust over the way CBS was covering this tournament came when Dottie Pepper gushed over how casual Tiger's practice swings had become. Seriously? You've got the leader of the tournament playing great golf behind Woods, but you've got the camera trained on Tiger between shots long enough to comment on his practice swings? I was fully expecting them to bring in a physical trainer to extol how wonderfully Tiger Woods was hydrating himself when they took a close-up of him drinking a bottle of water.

CBS gave Brooks Koepka short shrift on an impressive victory. Instead of announcing the possible future of golf in Koepka, they spent waaaay too much time talking about its recent past. I'm thrilled for golf that Woods is re-emerging. But Koepka's name is now spoken in the same sentence as Sarazen, Hogan, Nicklaus, and Woods. He's won three of the last seven majors. They should be celebrating his accomplishments instead of making them a footnote in the storyline. Yet, I was equally impressed with the graciousness Koepka displayed in handling the Tiger crush. The kid is a class act. Wish CBS was.
Old 08-13-18, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
My disgust over the way CBS was covering this tournament came when Dottie Pepper gushed over how casual Tiger's practice swings had become. Seriously? You've got the leader of the tournament playing great golf behind Woods, but you've got the camera trained on Tiger between shots long enough to comment on his practice swings? I was fully expecting them to bring in a physical trainer to extol how wonderfully Tiger Woods was hydrating himself when they took a close-up of him drinking a bottle of water.

CBS gave Brooks Koepka short shrift on an impressive victory. Instead of announcing the possible future of golf in Koepka, they spent waaaay too much time talking about its recent past. I'm thrilled for golf that Woods is re-emerging. But Koepka's name is now spoken in the same sentence as Sarazen, Hogan, Nicklaus, and Woods. He's won three of the last seven majors. They should be celebrating his accomplishments instead of making them a footnote in the storyline. Yet, I was equally impressed with the graciousness Koepka displayed in handling the Tiger crush. The kid is a class act. Wish CBS was.
They're catering to the masses my friend, and let's not forget what they say: "the masses are @$$e$."
Old 08-13-18, 12:22 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Best sporting event of 2018 to this point.
Old 08-13-18, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
If Koepka could have made some putts, he'd have won by 5 or 6.
If Tiger made his baby misses,he'd have a win...BAM!
Old 08-13-18, 12:51 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
I only watched the event because Tiger was in contention. Americans love comeback stories and Tiger is getting ever so close. It's a just a matter of time before he gets over the hump and wins a few regular tournaments and perhaps one more Major.
Old 08-13-18, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Just a casual fan of golf but I was one of the sheep who watched because of Tiger and I rarely watch golf. It was good theatre.
Old 08-13-18, 01:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
It was so much fun to watch. I was almost giddy
Old 08-13-18, 01:33 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
I'm partial to the CFP championship but this is right up there with that.
Old 08-13-18, 02:43 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
For me, personally, I preferred this. The CFP championship was undoubtedly one hell of a game.
Old 08-13-18, 02:48 PM
All Yappi

Did anyone see Gary Woodland's sand adventure Saturday?
Old 08-14-18, 02:36 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Yes, and I'm guessing a lot other people knew that as well. Koepka was the first guy in almost 30 years to win back to back us opens and you think the guy is unknown to golf fans?
When men's golf is talked about, Brooks Koepka's name does not come to mind...
Old 08-14-18, 02:40 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post

Given how poorly his tournament began on Thursday (+3 after 2 holes, IIRC), Woods played far better than I expected, but I would say that, had he played like he did this weekend, he wouldn't have been anywhere near contention in many Open Championships and U.S. Opens where the penalty for not hitting the fairway is generally far more severe than it was this past weekend. I was amazed at how many players drew great lies and had clear shots at the flag following errant tee shots this weekend. These guys hit it so far off the tee anymore that it hardly seems to matter where the ball ends up. If they find real trouble, they often manage to get relief from it.

Will Woods win another major? He played well, but I don't know that his best these days is any better than the best from the other current top players in the game. It's going to be difficult but not impossible. IMHO, the top of the heap right now is much more skilled than it was when Woods was dominating. When Woods was on top, all he had to deal with was Duval for a couple years, a very inconsistent Mickelson, and a Garcia who was the Fowler of his day with his constant presence near the top of the leaderboard but an inability to take the lead and finish on the weekend. His closest battles in majors were against guys like Bob May, Chris DiMarco, and Rocco Mediate. Also, at his current age and with his history of back problems, how often is Woods likely to string together 4 consecutive good days?
I agree, I just don't know if it happens. Other than Thursday, he played about as well as he could, and still came up a little short. Isn't there always going to be one of these young bucks who step up the same weekend he does? Classic Tiger back in the day was that he'd have the tournament wrapped up by Sunday, and just shut the field down. He's not been a great chaser during his career.
We'll see, you just wonder if his health keeps him fit enough to contend match after match.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: