Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Suburban League > Highland Hornets

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-02-11, 10:35 AM
All American

On The Money is on a distinguished road
Hornet Football 2011

Let's get it started! Injuries and heartbreaking, close losses against North Royalton, Olmsted Falls, and Tallmadge kept the Hornets from returning to the playoffs in 2010. Can the Hornets put the pieces together and win enough games to qualify for post-season play in 2011???? What say you, Hornet fans?
Old 08-10-11, 04:36 PM
All Yappi

rufusmorgan is on a distinguished road
Good luck!
Old 08-13-11, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
How did the scrimmage go? I'm excited to see this new offense installed.. I really think we've got the playmakers to make some noise if the new line comes together.
Old 08-15-11, 10:09 AM
All American

I ended up stuck at work and never made it over there. Hopefully someone can fill us in.
Old 08-17-11, 07:43 AM
All American

Colt 17 24 is on a distinguished road
Kory

Kory seems to be doing well....and starting college.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/korywiita
Old 08-30-11, 09:54 AM
All American

Big win for the Hornets on Friday night. Offensively they played an almost perfect game. Hard to find any problems when you roll up almost 600 yards of offense, score seven touchdowns, and average more than 10 yards per snap. Bravo Hornets offense! Defensively, they have some issues. It looks like they are going to have a hard time stopping the run. In the Suburban League, you have to stop the run. They need to figure that out before they get to Wadsworth, Green and Tallmadge. Those teams will run on you all night if you let them. The teams with the better running games will be able to keep the Hornet offense on the sidelines.

Next week is Olmsted Falls. The Hornets outplayed them last year but lost when they couldn't finish drives and muffed a punt late in the game. I like the Hornets at home this week. 2-0 would be a great start with a trip to North Royalton looming in week 3. The Bears have had the Hornets' number the past few seasons.
Old 09-05-11, 07:23 AM
All American

Highland 35 Olmsted Falls 21

Another nice win for Coach Lombardo and the Hornets, moving to 2-0 for the season. Scholle's 99 yard TD run to break the 21-21 tie in the 4th quarter is the stuff of legend. Looking ahead to North Royalton, the Hornets will have their hands full. Bears have beaten the Hornets in close games the last 2 years, and they will be good again.
Old 09-12-11, 01:50 PM
All American

Well, this thread has turned into the "On The Money Hornet Blog." It appears some people are reading - if not posting. On with the show!

The Hornets had a solid win against North Royalton Friday and now sit at 3-0. It was nice to beat the Bears after they slipped away with wins in the last 2 meetings. The stars of the day were the defense. They held the Bears in check all night and gave the Hornet offense time to get some points on the board without having to chase a lead. Kent Masters is doing a phenomenal job at tail back. I don't think the Hornet offense would be nearly as sharp without him moving in to solidify the running game. Suburban League play opens Friday at Copley. Go Hornets!
Old 09-12-11, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

GRPride86 is on a distinguished road
Like I said earlier, Highland is my dark horse and it looks like they have not disappointed so far.

Good Luck from here on out.
Old 09-12-11, 06:11 PM
All Yappi

Masters was really a huge move-in for us. Very solid back.
Old 09-13-11, 09:37 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRPride86 View Post
Like I said earlier, Highland is my dark horse and it looks like they have not disappointed so far.

Good Luck from here on out.
I am not convinced they can win the SL yet. But as a Hornet fan I am pleasantly surprised and very happy with the 3-0 start. I thought 2-1 would be good. Lombardo is doing a great job (again) with this group. But I need to see the defense play well for a couple weeks in a row before I put the "contender" label on the Hornets.
Old 09-13-11, 09:38 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Masters was really a huge move-in for us. Very solid back.
That is so true. The tailback position was one of my primary concerns coming into the season. Now they need to keep this kid (and Scholle) healthy. By the way - how about that freshman group? They are off to a 3-0 start and have outscored their opponents 125-12. Middle Schoolers crushed Cloverleaf 39-0 in week one. Looks like the cupboards are full for a few years in Hornetland.
Old 09-14-11, 02:46 PM
All American

Hornets have vaulted into 3rd place in Region 6. Gotta keep winning and getting wins from our defeated opponents. But third is a nice spot at this early juncture.
Old 09-15-11, 10:58 PM
All American

I am sure this won't last all year, but the ENTIRE FOOTBALL PROGRAM IS UNDEFEATED as of 9/15. Middle School (3-0) 9th graders (3-0) JV (3-0) and Varsity (3-0). Way to go Hornets!
Old 09-17-11, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
No comment after last game? copley is good.Jv records dont mean anything.
Old 09-17-11, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
No comment after last game? copley is good.Jv records dont mean anything.
Worry about your own sorry team and quit trolling other teams forums unless you have something intelligent to add to the discussion.
Old 09-17-11, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Money View Post
That is so true. The tailback position was one of my primary concerns coming into the season. Now they need to keep this kid (and Scholle) healthy. By the way - how about that freshman group? They are off to a 3-0 start and have outscored their opponents 125-12. Middle Schoolers crushed Cloverleaf 39-0 in week one. Looks like the cupboards are full for a few years in Hornetland.
This week is the game of the year at the freshman level. Probably for the league. Tallmadge freshman are also 4-0 and have a very good defense. Highland won this game last year as 8th graders 28-16. I am looking forward to this one.
Old 09-17-11, 12:10 PM
All Yappi

Wow you are a loser , freshmen records dont mean anything.I dont care about nordonia , i saw solon played the last 2 games.
Old 09-19-11, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Wow you are a loser , freshmen records dont mean anything.I dont care about nordonia , i saw solon played the last 2 games.
Freshman records DO mean something...to the players that bust their tails every day. To the coaches who give their time to develop these players. To the friends and parents of those playing on those teams.

Brian, I know you've never touched a football in your life, or wore a jock ever for that matter, but I thought even YOU would realize this.
Old 09-19-11, 08:42 PM
All World

MyKids58 is on a distinguished road
Brian. If scores don't matter, then why do you care whether or not the Nordonia freshmen are good, bad or otherwise? H2 and I have sat through a lot of practices and games watching our boys getting bigger, faster and better football players. At every level scores mattered. Next year at some point we'll watch our sons line up on a Friday night and it'll all have been worth it--every minute of it. Ironically, at that point the score will probably be determined anyway--lol.
Old 09-20-11, 06:10 AM
All World

BF Pride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Freshman records DO mean something...to the players that bust their tails every day. To the coaches who give their time to develop these players. To the friends and parents of those playing on those teams.

Brian, I know you've never touched a football in your life, or wore a jock ever for that matter, but I thought even YOU would realize this.
Except for us Green folks that have been told otherwise over and over by the Tallmadge brethren. So does winning matter and mean something at the lower levels or doesn't it?????? Or does it only mean something if Tallmadge is winning there?
Old 09-20-11, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF Pride View Post
Except for us Green folks that have been told otherwise over and over by the Tallmadge brethren. So does winning matter and mean something at the lower levels or doesn't it?????? Or does it only mean something if Tallmadge is winning there?
Beleive me, Tallmadge does not care if the JV wins or loses, they usually try and play every player. Last year against Green we played 3 QB's on different occassions. Not because the first one wasn't doing OK, it's just that they try and develop kids for the varsity. Hate to say it, again, the coaches don't care if the JV wins or loses.
Old 09-20-11, 09:20 AM
All World

BF Pride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRPride86 View Post
Beleive me, Tallmadge does not care if the JV wins or loses, they usually try and play every player. Last year against Green we played 3 QB's on different occassions. Not because the first one wasn't doing OK, it's just that they try and develop kids for the varsity. Hate to say it, again, the coaches don't care if the JV wins or loses.
I will be the first to say I don't know your program at all. BUT, I will say that "if" you have coaches that are winning 6-0 with 5 minutes left and some kids haven't played much (2nd/3rd stringers) and they're in the game with the other team driving you have an extreme rarity. I'd be willing to bet the bank that out of 4th/5th, 6th/7th, 8th MS, Fresh., JV that there might be one that would adhere to that. Now if they're down 20-6 that would be different. It all sounds good but 90% of the coaches "are" trying to win the game, of course if they lose its because they're more interested in developing the kids?
Old 09-20-11, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Money View Post
I am sure this won't last all year, but the ENTIRE FOOTBALL PROGRAM IS UNDEFEATED as of 9/15. Middle School (3-0) 9th graders (3-0) JV (3-0) and Varsity (3-0). Way to go Hornets!
I realize this isn't the case anymore, but I find this unbelievable. I can't imagine this ever happening before.
Old 09-20-11, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I will be the first to say I don't know your program at all. BUT, I will say that "if" you have coaches that are winning 6-0 with 5 minutes left and some kids haven't played much (2nd/3rd stringers) and they're in the game with the other team driving you have an extreme rarity. I'd be willing to bet the bank that out of 4th/5th, 6th/7th, 8th MS, Fresh., JV that there might be one that would adhere to that. Now if they're down 20-6 that would be different. It all sounds good but 90% of the coaches "are" trying to win the game, of course if they lose its because they're more interested in developing the kids?
We were actually winning at one point I think against Green last year and we changed QB's. Now if it's tight and about 2 minutes left, then yea, they try and win, but by that time, they have changed out a lot of players. Like I've said in the past, they don't care about JV wins or loses.
Old 09-20-11, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet the bank that out of 4th/5th, 6th/7th, 8th MS, Fresh., JV that there might be one that would adhere to that.
Now I'm not saying that 4th/5th, 6th/7th or MS adhere to that philosophy. But freshman (usually) and JV do.
Old 09-20-11, 01:42 PM
All American

Looks like I jinxed it by pointing out the perfect record through 3 weeks. Oh well. I knew it wouldn't last all year. Winning at the lower levels does matter. I agree with Tallmadge H2 Dad. However, it is also true that winning on the sub-varsity level does not necessarily translate to varsity wins down the road. But I will say this, it doesn't hurt for kids to learn to expect to win. It also doesn't hurt to learn all the little things you have to do during the week to win. It certainly doesn't hurt to have winning teams from the middle school all the way up. It breeds excitement and interest in the program, and even draws more kids to the program. If you have been around high school football, then you know that almost all good programs have one thing in common - NUMBERS. They get the athletic boys to come out and play football. If your teams are winning, more kids tend to want to play - right or wrong.

As for the game Friday, I have heard many say that the Hornets blew it in the second half. I see it the other way around. Highland had opportunities to take control of the game in the FIRST HALF. If they could have taken advantage of those opportnities and grabbed a lead, it would have forced Copley to the air. Copley could not protect the QB at all, so I think it could have been a different game entirely if Highland could have the grabbed the lead. They played much too conservatively in the first half by not throwing at all on first down when they had good field position. If they play that way against Tallmadge, they will be beaten soundly again.
Old 09-20-11, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

Of course winning matter to the parents and the kids.You took what i said wrong winning freshmen games, dont mean you have varsity success.And just because i never played in high school football,i played alot football with no pads lol.
Old 09-21-11, 01:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Of course winning matter to the parents and the kids.You took what i said wrong winning freshmen games, dont mean you have varsity success.And just because i never played in high school football,i played alot football with no pads lol.
I think Brian is right, too. Winning freshmen games does not necessarily mean those kids will win varsity games when they are seniors.
Old 09-21-11, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

But congrat highland on winning all those games, they have a bright future.On the money are you going to the game?, i think i am going.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: