Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-02-18, 08:35 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Kent State University cancels West Side Story production after whitewashing backlash

Quote:
When Kent State’s School of Theatre and Dance announced “West Side Story” as its fall mainstage musical last May, junior musical theater major Bridgett Martinez, 20, was stoked.

“This is the show that made me really love musical theater, and made me feel represented in musical theater,” said Martinez, whose parents moved here from Puerto Rico. “I saw myself as Maria.”

Martinez was hoping for the lead role of Maria, but instead she was cast as Maria’s understudy — and the role was given to a white student. At first, Martinez was upset about not getting her dream role, but her frustration deepened when she read the full cast list.

“Once I read (the list) again and I really saw … all of the casting choices, I was just blown away because it was not correct at all,” she said.
Read more:
http://www.kentwired.com/latest_upda...739a7dd1e.html
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-18, 09:03 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Interesting quote from the article.

" Cardenas said she believed Kent chose the cast based only on talent, without taking into account the ethnic backgrounds of some roles."
Old 10-02-18, 09:27 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
So does that mean when they cast a woman in a role that was formerly a mans role we should whine about it? Or when the cast of Hamilton looks like a gathering of the rainbow coalition instead of a bunch of old white dudes we should raise a ruckus?
Old 10-02-18, 09:31 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
So does that mean when they cast a woman in a role that was formerly a mans role we should whine about it? Or when the cast of Hamilton looks like a gathering of the rainbow coalition instead of a bunch of old white dudes we should raise a ruckus?
It's interesting how some people want to take historically white roles and allow others to play them but when a progressive university chooses a cast based on talent alone, the same people complain about the role being reserved for a particular race.
Old 10-03-18, 12:33 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
progress is slow. it yings it yangs.

The original cast, let alone the movie cast would not have held up to this standard, yet it's a classic. It made a little PR girl feel 'represented" with the hope that she could someday get her day in the sunshine complaining that she was second best. Many of us would dream to be second.

At the same time, our history of what is "best" has been colored by preconceptions and as we've opened our minds to challenging our own beliefs and measures and of how they come about culturally, we've gotten better. #blackscan'tQB.

ying-yang.
Old 10-03-18, 04:56 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
progress is slow. it yings it yangs.
Unfortunately, the attempts to solve the problem through special treatment has failed to teach us when it's solved - when decisions are made solely on ability.
Old 10-03-18, 05:33 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
Interesting quote from the article.

" Cardenas said she believed Kent chose the cast based only on talent, without taking into account the ethnic backgrounds of some roles."
Judging people based upon their talent and ability only is racist, sexist, and homo/transphobic.
Old 10-03-18, 05:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Judging people based upon their talent and ability only is racist, sexist, and homo/transphobic.
Only if it doesn't benefit who we want it to benefit. 50 year old short white dudes should be included on every NBA roster - even if they can't play.
Old 10-03-18, 06:00 AM
All World

Quote:
Only if it doesn't benefit who we want it to benefit. 50 year old short white dudes should be included on every NBA roster - even if they can't play.
Agree 100%. I have always identified as a NBA post or power forward.

Maybe we should start a class action lawsuit?
Old 10-03-18, 06:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Maybe we should start a class action lawsuit?
I'm more of a center......
Old 10-03-18, 07:21 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Just wondering what the reaction would have been if a younger George Zimmerman were cast as a Shark. Could he pass?

Mrs. Zunardo and I were watching the one color episode of Perry Mason yesterday. A supposedly Mexican female character was on the stand, with jet black hair - and bright blue eyes.

My wife sighed and said, "Great casting." Yeah, it was like that back then.

Quote:
50 year old short white dudes should be included on every NBA roster - even if they can't play.
Quote:
Quote:
True story. College basketball game, I'm on the scorers bench, visitors down to 3 players due to fouls, one of their players (young, black, athletic) came up to me (55, white, overweight) and asked if I had any skills and if I could suit up for them.

I said, "I can't do much, but I'm a very good enforcer."
Old 10-03-18, 10:25 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Unfortunately, the attempts to solve the problem through special treatment has failed to teach us when it's solved - when decisions are made solely on ability.
I think the problem might be partially peolpe think social issues can be "solved." They flow. Goes one way, society reacts, goes the other, settles a bit then something new comes up.

"Ability" is subjective in most cases. This one for example, it isn't a race with a clear winner. It's a judgment call. And those are subject to culture. I don't get up in arms when someone challenges decisions such as this. Maybe it is a sort of thing that should get a second look.

My problem with the issue is it's at a far swing: the idea that an ACTOR has to be demographically identical to a character they are portraying has no hopeful societal outcome in my opinion.
Old 10-03-18, 10:35 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I think the problem might be partially peolpe think social issues can be "solved." They flow. Goes one way, society reacts, goes the other, settles a bit then something new comes up.

True, but in this particular case, it appears that the decision was made on ability. This is what equality is as opposed to what those moving the goal posts claim it is. Words have meanings. This one does, and does change with the political winds.

Quote:
"Ability" is subjective in most cases. This one for example, it isn't a race with a clear winner. It's a judgment call. And those are subject to culture. I don't get up in arms when someone challenges decisions such as this. Maybe it is a sort of thing that should get a second look.
The hispanic woman was the one who made the case that the decision was based on talent. Her claim is that it should not have been (see above).

Quote:
My problem with the issue is it's at a far swing: the idea that an ACTOR has to be demographically identical to a character they are portraying has no hopeful societal outcome in my opinion.
Agree with this completely. If not, as mentioned by someone earlier they need to shut down Hamilton.
Old 10-03-18, 10:46 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have never play basketball except for intramurals (two reasons I am only 5'9' and I can't jump) do you think they could find a place for me on the roster? I am willing to sit the bench and not play as long as I make minimum salary. I know this is a stretch being I am 73 years old and have trouble running because of Arthur, but I really would like to be one of the guys.

By the way who says a white person can play the part of another race. It is called acting is it not?

Last edited by 19AL63; 10-08-18 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-03-18, 11:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
…...
By the way who says a white person can play the part of another race. It is called acting is it not?
They kinda frown on blackface these days.
Old 10-03-18, 11:48 AM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Wasn't Natalie Wood Ukranian?
Old 10-03-18, 12:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
She was born in San Francisco. Her parents were Russian immigrants. The father was born in Vladivostok and her mother in southern Siberia.
Old 10-03-18, 03:58 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Black James Bond.
Old 10-03-18, 05:25 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^
More like a black David Duke.
Old 10-03-18, 06:42 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Yes, but acting, singing and dancing doesn't seem to matter anymore. Its what your Ancestry DNA test says that counts.

Outrageous. I can see preferring African Americans for Black characters and Asian actors to portray Asians, but what race are Puerto Ricans? The answer is almost as varied as other North Americans as there are Blacks, Europeans, Native Americans and mixtures of all of the above. Hispanic and all of the various nationalities are not races, but have different races within them.

I am so tired of the issue of race. My ancestry is European, but being of Southern European blood I have many friends and even family who consider themselves to be African Americans who are lighter in skin, hair and eye color than I am and I have been mistaken for Hispanic on more than one occasion.

It is finally time to be post racial.
Old 10-03-18, 08:51 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Yes, but acting, singing and dancing doesn't seem to matter anymore. Its what your Ancestry DNA test says that counts.

Outrageous. I can see preferring African Americans for Black characters and Asian actors to portray Asians, but what race are Puerto Ricans?
Not sure, but I'm guessing George Chakiris isn't one.
Old 10-03-18, 10:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Not sure, but I'm guessing George Chakiris isn't one.
Oh the horror, he was Greek not Puerto Rican! What is that, off-white washing? Maybe beige washing?
Old 10-03-18, 11:08 PM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Outrageous. I can see preferring African Americans for Black characters and Asian actors to portray Asians, but what race are Puerto Ricans? The answer is almost as varied as other North Americans as there are Blacks, Europeans, Native Americans and mixtures of all of the above. Hispanic and all of the various nationalities are not races, but have different races within them.

I am so tired of the issue of race. My ancestry is European, but being of Southern European blood I have many friends and even family who consider themselves to be African Americans who are lighter in skin, hair and eye color than I am and I have been mistaken for Hispanic on more than one occasion.

It is finally time to be post racial.
Per the article they cast a black person in one of the lead Puerto Rican roles. Isn't that even a bigger miss in terms of ethnicity? How come they weren't claiming black-washing?
Old 10-04-18, 07:17 AM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
My high school was all white in the 1970's; no blacks, maybe a couple of Hispanics.
When we did West Side Story, a couple of blonde girls got parts- they dyed their hair black to 'appear' Puerto Rican.

It was a mess when they tried to get back to blonde. One ended up with greenish hair.
Old 10-04-18, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 will become famous soon enough
I think it would be a shame if an actor like Eli Wallach wouldn't be able to play Tuco, he was a great Mexican bandit.
Old 10-04-18, 04:40 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
I think it would be a shame if an actor like Eli Wallach wouldn't be able to play Tuco, he was a great Mexican bandit.
And he played a Sicilian in Baby Doll and an Italian in the ill fated Godfather III. Not bad for a Polish Jew. These PC people are nuts. No "whitewashing" is bad enough but the no cultural appropriation is just wackadoodle. Thank God Gershwin did not believe that when he wrote Porgy and Bess, Elvis, Bill Haley and Buddy Holly did not believe in it when they turned up beat R and B into rock and roll. The fact of the matter is that without some mixing of and responding to other cultures, we would not have any culture at all.

Liberals are crazy and generally unpleasant people.
Old 10-05-18, 07:45 AM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
You mean Yul Brynner wasn't Siamese???
Old 10-05-18, 08:12 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:

... And here all this time I thought you were somewhere between
Violet and Heliotrope.

I am slight darker than Ecru.

====

Quote:
Originally Posted by dado6 View Post
You mean Yul Brynner wasn't Siamese???
He wasn't naturally bald either!!!

:>---

SF
Old 10-05-18, 08:21 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And he played a Sicilian in Baby Doll and an Italian in the ill fated Godfather III. Not bad for a Polish Jew. These PC people are nuts. No "whitewashing" is bad enough but the no cultural appropriation is just wackadoodle. Thank God Gershwin did not believe that when he wrote Porgy and Bess, Elvis, Bill Haley and Buddy Holly did not believe in it when they turned up beat R and B into rock and roll. The fact of the matter is that without some mixing of and responding to other cultures, we would not have any culture at all.

Liberals are crazy and generally unpleasant people.
Anthony Quinn who often played Greeks (several times) and other personas
of Mediterranean heritage, was Mexican.

:>---

EGA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: