Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-01-17, 04:40 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Agreed. He constantly hesitates, never in rhythm.
Seems to be in his head, huh ?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-17, 06:24 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Two five yard passes that end up going for 80 yard touchdowns save Barrett's numbers and give all of his apologists ammunition. It's so depressing.

IMO, they have the best roster in the country, but will never have the better QB in the games that matter. Ultimately that will be the difference
Right, the offense was very disappointing. Not confident for the OU game.
Old 09-01-17, 06:44 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I would be disappointed with the secondary and qb play. That Dobbins kid need a to touch the ball as often as they can feasibly get it to him
Old 09-01-17, 07:24 AM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
I don't think the secondary play was that bad. It was a tough matchup to begin the season and the IU game plan was to exploit the matchups they had with the big receivers with quick passes. Kudos to the d for making the necessary adjustments at half.

I expect better results next week. The defensive line will be a much bigger factor in the game next week.
Old 09-01-17, 07:42 AM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Bc it's week 1 at IU, I think it will be close through the first half. In the second half, OSU's talent takes over and they win by 17-21 points.
I was pretty close.
Old 09-01-17, 07:48 AM
All American

Yeah PBoy nailed it.

Anyone see the IU head coach crying in the pregame interview? That was fricking weird.
Old 09-01-17, 07:50 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the IU coach seems like a pretty odd dude in general.

On a positive note, JK Dobbins is going to be the truth. He and Weber will be a nasty 1-2 punch
Old 09-01-17, 08:37 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
As a Hoosier fan, I was telling everyone it would be a 25-30 point game and it was. IU just doesn't have the 2-3 deep depth OSU has and it always shows in the 2nd half. The power programs get talent AND depth. The also rands get some talent and have little depth. IU hurts their cause to some degree because they throw SO much.

Now this is always been my issue with college football...OSU will probably skate through the big ten, but we still won't know how good they are. They got to the playoff last year, unbeaten and they got drilled by Clemson. The big ten is weak. Always has been. When the conf split into divisions, it even makes it worse. The Buckeyes will be favored in every game, most by double digits. I thought it was very lenient they were only favored by 20 last night. The Buckeye receivers don't run around and make plays against the elite programs in the country like they do against Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland, Iowa, heck even MSU has dropped back now.
Old 09-01-17, 08:56 AM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
OSU will probably skate through the big ten, but we still won't know how good they are. They got to the playoff last year, unbeaten and they got drilled by Clemson. The big ten is weak. Always has been.
How about 2015 when they beat Alabama and Oregon to win the title? Weak then too?
Old 09-01-17, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Still don't get the hate for JT Barrett, all the coaches on the ESPN coaches room feed seem to have no problem with him. The guy's stat line was solid and while the numbers were aided by a couple catches with long YACs there were a couple drops that should also be considered. Remember that IU's defense is the strength of this team and he put a 49 spot on them; don't ever under estimate the leadership he brings to the unit. Some her sound like silly NFL fans always calling for the back up QB, let the season play out we will see how good the back ups are next year when JT will be gone.

A few thoughts:

- Generally speaking the OL played well against a solid IU front 7, that is a huge development for this year.

- WRs are still very inconsistent. The speed is there but 3 key drops stink; outside of Binjimen Victor there is no height for possession or back shoulder type routes. Also their blocking is still a work in process.

- tOSU front 7 is scary good. Not only are the starters fantastic but there is depth to handle the uptempo packages like they saw last night.

- 75% of the secondary were new starters and it took a little time to figure things out, a home opener against BG or Akron would have been better to work this unit into game shape than a roadie against a motivated conference opponent. The lack of height could be an issue but IU's Wrs were making same crazy catches with DBs draped all over them. Also the 3rd TD was yet another pick play, the NCAA rules committee needs to do something about these plays as refs don't have the guts to call it and it probably cost 'Bama a national title LY.

Next week will be fun.
Old 09-01-17, 09:35 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
My homey DWard looked like crap
I think Ward looked fine. Cobbs and Hale are 6'4". Ward is like 5'10". He contested most of the throws, they were just taller and made some great catches. That's what happens when you recruit actual wide receivers instead of short athletes to play WR. Thankfully looks like OSU recruiting caught on to that.
Old 09-01-17, 09:36 AM
All Yappi

Also on the negative, NCAA football is becoming MLB like in game length. No way should any sporting event take close to 4 hours to play.
Old 09-01-17, 09:44 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As a Hoosier fan, I was telling everyone it would be a 25-30 point game and it was. IU just doesn't have the 2-3 deep depth OSU has and it always shows in the 2nd half. The power programs get talent AND depth. The also rands get some talent and have little depth. IU hurts their cause to some degree because they throw SO much.

Now this is always been my issue with college football...OSU will probably skate through the big ten, but we still won't know how good they are. They got to the playoff last year, unbeaten and they got drilled by Clemson. The big ten is weak. Always has been. When the conf split into divisions, it even makes it worse. The Buckeyes will be favored in every game, most by double digits. I thought it was very lenient they were only favored by 20 last night. The Buckeye receivers don't run around and make plays against the elite programs in the country like they do against Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland, Iowa, heck even MSU has dropped back now.
There's the potential for them to play four top 10 teams depending on how the other teams perform. They won't be favored by 21 against PSU or Michigan. They were not unbeaten when they made the CFP last year. Do you even watch college football?
Old 09-01-17, 09:45 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
How about 2015 when they beat Alabama and Oregon to win the title? Weak then too?
Actually yes, I've said all along that the Buckeyes got a gift getting to the playoffs. They lost...at home... to a .500 Va Tech team by 14 points!! And they were never punished for that.
Yes, they got hot and won the last two games, but my point is they should not have been there. I've always said OSU would minimally lose 2-3 games a year in the SEC. Going to Bloomington is not a road game.
Old 09-01-17, 09:49 AM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually yes, I've said all along that the Buckeyes got a gift getting to the playoffs
Well they proved to be better than Alabama and Oregon. Did those teams get a gift too?

Quote:
Yes, they got hot and won the last two games, but my point is they should not have been there.
What 4 teams should have been there?

Quote:
Going to Bloomington is not a road game.
It isn't? What is it?
Old 09-01-17, 09:52 AM
All District

OHFball10 is on a distinguished road
It will be interesting to see how they perform againt OU next week. It was obvious that tOSU offense would wear down IU eventually, and that showed in the 2nd half. It will be a whole different story against OU.

Additionally, unlike IU, OU actually has a running game, so that will be something to watch as well. Though I doubt OU will have Baker Mayfield throwing fade passes as much as IU did.
Old 09-01-17, 10:20 AM
All American

14Red
Old 09-01-17, 10:24 AM
Varsity

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
Game v. Sooners will tell us much more about OSU but last night showed a few things. Bucks DL is nasty and relentless. They will be a handful for any OL in the country and they will wear down a lot of teams if they keep rotating like that. Worley held up well at MLB and Baker is a playmaker outside. I thought corners were exposed but not sure why Bucks did not use more zone to protect them v. the big WR's. It was not like guys were running wide open, it was more back shoulder throws and jump balls. Hoosier QB was money in first half too. I think corners will be ok but safeties need to help when needed.

On offense I am not sure how you take Dobbins out as a starter even when Weber is ready. I expect both to get 15 carries+ per game and stay fresh. Dobbins can catch it and block too which is nice to see. OL was ok but I expect it to get better. WR group was up and down with drops but some explosive runs after catch as well. At least they were open a lot. Need to use Campbell on some jet sweeps and pop passes as he can fly. JT was ok overall, he is never going to be a pinpoint passer or have a cannon but you know he is going to be their QB this year. He needs to play better against better teams, he needs to give his WR's a chance like the Indy QB did with his WR's. When JT misses he misses by 10 yards. He looked slow in first half running too, much more decisive in 2nd half when he ran.

Not perfect but Bucks beat a team that may win 7 or 8 games on the road by 28 points. Much better than opening with a MAC team in the Shoe and winning by 60.
Old 09-01-17, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I think Ward looked fine. Cobbs and Hale are 6'4". Ward is like 5'10". He contested most of the throws, they were just taller and made some great catches. That's what happens when you recruit actual wide receivers instead of short athletes to play WR. Thankfully looks like OSU recruiting caught on to that.
Also, the IU QB was making the throws in tight coverage, giving his guys a shot to go up and get it. The OSU QB can't and won't make those throws
Old 09-01-17, 10:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Also on the negative, NCAA football is becoming MLB like in game length. No way should any sporting event take close to 4 hours to play.
I'm fine with it because they play once a week, 12 times a year. Baseball is brutal because games take that long every single day
Old 09-01-17, 10:45 AM
All American

Quote:
Also, the IU QB was making the throws in tight coverage, giving his guys a shot to go up and get it. The OSU QB can't and won't make those throws
Yeah, credit needs to be given to Lagow. On the vast majority of his throws in the first half he was just making pinpoint passes and the IU WR's were making incredible catches. Good offense will always beat good defense.
Old 09-01-17, 10:46 AM
All American

I'm less concerned about the secondary than I am about the passing game. It looked identical to last year.
Old 09-01-17, 11:03 AM
All American

Quote:
Something JT apologists refuse to acknowledge when talking about him/the WRs.
Old 09-01-17, 01:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Actually yes, I've said all along that the Buckeyes got a gift getting to the playoffs. They lost...at home... to a .500 Va Tech team by 14 points!! And they were never punished for that.
Yes, they got hot and won the last two games, but my point is they should not have been there. I've always said OSU would minimally lose 2-3 games a year in the SEC. Going to Bloomington is not a road game.
Who would they lose to? Outside of Alabama, the SEC has been underwhelming the past few seasons. Not to mention what you've "always said" is based purely on speculation.

I'm amazed you people never get tired of arguing about what happened last year or years ago. Anything that happens before August of 2017 should have no bearing on the 2018 CFP selection and is not a credible contribution to the discussion.
Old 09-02-17, 04:19 PM
All American

El Indio is on a distinguished road
My thoughts:
First game and got a W.
Not sure why the play calling was so horrid in the first half. FGs should have been TDs.
Dude! Digging for gold on national TV! ROTFLMAO!
Defense needs to improve. Told my son what the corners needed to do and BAM interception!

Overall, I say they got the W and need much improvement in both preparation and playing calling.
Old 09-03-17, 06:36 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Did you all notice the improvement on team speed,RB's and Receiver's.
Old 09-05-17, 03:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Well they proved to be better than Alabama and Oregon. Did those teams get a gift too?

What 4 teams should have been there?

It isn't? What is it?
The Buckeyes got a second chance with the Va Tech loss not hurting them. I think the limited number of games, you have to include the whole season. No doubt the massive OSU fan base and network numbers had something to do to get them in there. If I recall that year, Baylor or West Virgina, maybe both were left outside. They had losses, but not to a .500 team at home. The Bucs won the games on the field and congrats to them, i just feel they got a break getting invited. And anything can happen once you get there. Cardale Jones played out of his mind those two games. Probably the best two games of his life.
Old 09-05-17, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

One of the biggest challenges with the NCAA football playoff model is that the schedules are highly unbalanced so unlike any other team sport style counts. What kind of win means more, by 1 point on the road to a tough conference foe having a down year or by multiple TDs at home to a perennially lousy opponent? What got tOSU in a couple years ago more than anything was the massive beat down on Wiscy in the title game, again style points. Had Penn State taken care of business a little better in the title game LY then maybe they would have been given the right to be smacked around by Clemson. It's not like they don't have a great brand name as some were complaining about with tOSU in 2014.
Old 09-05-17, 04:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Who would they lose to? Outside of Alabama, the SEC has been underwhelming the past few seasons. Not to mention what you've "always said" is based purely on speculation.

I'm amazed you people never get tired of arguing about what happened last year or years ago. Anything that happens before August of 2017 should have no bearing on the 2018 CFP selection and is not a credible contribution to the discussion.
My contention is that the "other" SEC road games would trip up the Buckeyes at some point. Going to Maryland/ Rutgers/ Iowa/ Illinois/ Indiana/ Minnesota/ Purdue is not like going to Georgia/ Tennessee/ Miss St. / Tex A&M/ Auburn/ Ole Miss/ LSU. The middle and bottom of the SEC/ ACC and PAC 12 are much better than the big ten middle and bottom, and it's been that way for a LONG time.
Old 09-05-17, 09:11 PM
All World

Quote:
My contention is that the "other" SEC road games would trip up the Buckeyes at some point. Going to Maryland/ Rutgers/ Iowa/ Illinois/ Indiana/ Minnesota/ Purdue is not like going to Georgia/ Tennessee/ Miss St. / Tex A&M/ Auburn/ Ole Miss/ LSU. The middle and bottom of the SEC/ ACC and PAC 12 are much better than the big ten middle and bottom, and it's been that way for a LONG time.
That's just simply not true.