Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-18-17, 06:37 PM
Varsity

xcrunner69 is on a distinguished road
2017 Boys D1 Preseason Team Rankings!!!

Hello there! Just like last cross country season, I am going to periodically rank the D1 boys teams, and this is my first edition for the 2017 season. Keep in mind, these arenít necessarily who I believe are the top 20 teams in the State, but I made this list based off of how many teams each region gets to qualify to The State Meet (Boardman=7, Tiffin=3, Troy=5, Pickerington North=5). Just as a little bit of background info, when I have teams that are very close to each other, I use depth and performance during the postseason as a tiebreaker, and I used MileSplit for the bulk of my info. Here are the main links that I used (MileSplit Pro will be required to view most):

http://oh.milesplit.com/teamscores/2...by=score&skip= (D1 Varsity Team Scores based off 2016 PRís)

http://oh.milesplit.com/teamscores/2...y=score&skip=7 (D1 JV Team Scores based off of 2016 PRís)

http://oh.milesplit.com/meets/245760...d#.WZcgAfl97IV (2016 D1 State Meet Results)

http://oh.milesplit.com/rankings/eve...rs&league=4329 (Top 2017 1600 Runners in D1 that werenít seniors)

http://oh.milesplit.com/rankings/eve...rs&league=4329 (Top 2017 3200 Runners in D1 that werenít seniors)

http://oh.milesplit.com/teamscores/c...by=score&skip= (D1 Rankings that take into account not only cross country PRís, but non-PRís, track times, depth of teams, etc.)

1st: Hudson
2nd: Medina
3rd: Centerville
4th: St. Xavier
5th: Olentangy Liberty
6th: Hilliard Davidson
7th: Lancaster
8th: St. Ignatius
9th: Kenston
10th: Pickerington North
11th: Massillon Jackson
12th: Kings
13th: Dublin Jerome
14th: Perrysburg
15th: St. Eds
16th: Mason
17th: Solon
18th: Turpin
19th: Whitmer
20th: Ashland

Case for Each Team:

Hudson: The favorite to win the State Meet in a lot of peopleís eyes, and for good reason. They pulled off a pretty major upset last year and finished second place, and this year, they are returning four out of the top five runners from that team. The emergence of Adam Beucler also helps their case. This past track season, Adam ran a 4:18 1600 and a 9:17 3200, which makes him the 11th fastest 1600 runner in D1 for the 2018 track season and the 6th fastest 3200 runner in D1 for the 2018 track season. Health is the #1 thing holding them back as of now, because Evan Manley, one of their top returning runners, was injured for the majority of the outdoor track season. If they can stay healthy and find a #5 runner that can close the gap, they will be very tough to beat.

Medina: Finished sixth at last year's State Meet, but just like Hudson, they are returning four of their top five runners. The unique thing about Medina is their ability to run as a pack, as their 2-5 runners from last year were all within two seconds of each other (16:19.80-16:21.80). Just like Hudson, Medina's weakness is in their #5 runner, but their answer may be found in Harry Custer. Harry is an incoming Sophomore, and before he got hurt last season, he ran a 16:59. But the most exciting thing about him is his speed: he ran a 1:54 at Regionals this past track season, which was good enough for him to qualify to State. If Medina's pack of four can move up and potentially even find a fifth member, they too will also be very tough to beat.

Centerville: Centerville finished 11th last season, but they are returning all seven varsity runners. Their top returning runner is Jack Welsh (4:31, 9:41, 15:54), and their team put together a very impressive track season (five runners under 10:15). They are the #1 returning team based off of 2016 PRís, but are only #3 according to composite rankings.

St. Xavier: St. X finished third last year, and they are led by the #10 returning runner from last year's State Meet in Peter Dauenhauer. They are returning four runners from last yearís varsity squad, and another runner who has run 9:51 (Joe Doogan). They are the #2 team based off of 2016 PRís, and they have potential to compete for the title.

Olentangy Liberty: They finished 12th last year, and they are returning six of their top seven. They are led by Logan Boone (9:46, 16:11), and they have the #1 returning JV team. Although their track season wasnít as impressive, they still have what it takes to compete for top five.

Hilliard Davidson: Finished ninth last season, and they are returning five from that team. They have the potential to be great, but their #1 concern is depth. Although they have the #7 returning varsity team, their JV is only ranked 22nd. Another factor that can make or break their season is Max LeClair. He has impressive track PRís of 4:22 and 9:51, but his 5K PR is ďonlyĒ 16:46. If they can stay healthy and Max can find the same success in XC that he has found in Track, they will be a tough team to beat.

Lancaster: Lancaster is the #1 team that I struggled ranking on this list. Although their track times are extremely impressive (five runners under 10:00), they didnít qualify as a team to The State Meet last season. Their 5K PRís have them ranked ninth, but they did not run well at Regionals last season. They have the potential to be a top five team this season, but they also might not even qualify due to their inconsistency.

St. Ignatius: Finished seventh last season and they are returning their 3-5 runners. They will be led by Liam Mcguire (4:22, 9:53, 16:20), and if they can find strong 4-7 runners, they should be able to keep their streak of top ten finishes @State alive. Their class of 2019 is really strong, and they could be back to competing for a championship next season.

Pickerington North: They will be led by senior Ashwin Briggs (4:16, 9:56, 15:50), and they have a pretty strong team returning. Their main weakness is their fifth runner (17:21), but if they can get that sorted out, they can compete for a top five spot. They are currently the 11th fastest based off of 5K PRís and 7th according to the composite rankings.

Kenston: Finished 13th last season, and they are returning six runners from last yearís team. They put together a very impressive XC season considering their youth, and if they continue to gain experience and add mileage, they can potentially be fighting for a top five spot. But their main concern is depth; their JV team is only ranked 33rd based off of 2016 PRís. If Kenston struggles with injuries, it will be tough for them to make it out of Boardman, yet alone compete for a top five spot @State.

Massillon Jackson: Finished 16th last year and they are returning four varsity runners. Based off of 2016 5K PRís, they are only ranked 20th, but when you look at the composite team score (which takes into account track times), they are ranked 6th. They have two runners that ran impressive times during track (Nick Regas=4:35, 9:44, Evan Akers=4:26, 9:50), and two other runners who have broken 17 (Patrick Baker, Jon Uhl). If they continue to improve just as they did during track, they should be fighting for a top ten spot.

Kings: Didnít qualify to State last year, but they are the #5 returning team based off of 5K PRís. The reason I have them so low is because almost all of their runners PRíd @their league meet, which leads me to believe that the course was either short or just ridiculously fast. But if they keep the pack mentality that they had during that race into the postseason and keep on dropping time, they can compete for a top five spot.

Dublin Jerome: They have one of the strongest 1-2 punches in the state with Kellen Posacki and Elliot Cook, but their 3-7 needs to drop time. Even with the 3-7 that they currently have, they are ranked 13th based off of 5K times and 12th on composite. So if they continue to develop their team and find more runners to help out their 1-2, watch out for Dublin Jerome.

Perrysburg: Returning all 7 runners from the 20th place team last season, and theyíll be led by Adam Ohls (4:39, 10:06, 16:32). They should be able to improve on their finish from last year because of their experience @NTR, and I think they could really benefit from a ďpack-runningĒ strategy.

St. Eds: Didnít qualify to State last season, but they are returning their top six from last years Regionals team. They will be led by Trevor Wright (4:29, 9:35, 16:16) and have the potential to put together a pretty legit team. Donít be surprised to see them move up my list as the season goes on and they gain experience, and once NTR rolls around, maybe theyíll be competing for a top five spot!

Mason: Finished 14th last year and are returning two of their top three runners. Their one and two runners should be pretty strong this season, but theyíll need their 3-7 to move up if they want a chance to be top ten. They strung together a much more impressive track season than XC, and if they can get that to convert over to this Fall, they will exceed my expectations.

Solon: Finished first last year, but unfortunately, they are graduating their top two runners from last season. They are returning a really strong 1-3 pack (Esper=15:59 @State, Visse=16:02 @State, Shannon=16:09 @State), but their problem will lie within their 4-7 runners. They have nobody else who has ever broken 17:29, and unfortunately, that wonít cut it if theyíre looking to get top ten, yet alone repeat. But if they can find a few runners to step up and run in the mid 16:00ís they could once again be a deadly team.

Turpin: Led by the Morton twins (Peter=16:35, John=16:48), this team is very young, but they have the potential to put together a pretty good season this year, and considering their top five will also be back for 2018, they could really do some damage next season. But for this season, their goal should be to get some NTR experience and use it to their advantage in 2018.

Toledo Whitmer: Led by a very strong runner in Nathan Cousino (4:26, 9:43, 15:37), and they are ranked 35th based off of returning runners. Theyíll need to make big improvements from the previous season if they want to compete for a top ten spot.

Ashland: Returning four runners from their 18th place team the year before, and they are led by Blade Estle (16:34). 33rd based off of returning runners, and theyíll also need to make up a lot of ground if they want to compete for a top ten spot.

That will do it for my first batch of rankings, and I just want to thank those who took the time to read all of this!! This took a lot of time, so your feedback down below really means a ton. Thank you once again, and bring on the 2017 XC season!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-17, 08:20 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Well done, we appreciate the work.
Old 08-19-17, 09:15 AM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Nice list but Defiance is now D1 and is a top 20 team with 4 back from their 6 place D2 finish.
Old 08-19-17, 10:11 AM
Varsity

xcrunner69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
Nice list but Defiance is now D1 and is a top 20 team with 4 back from their 6 place D2 finish.
I was not aware of that, thanks for pointing it out!!! Any idea which Region they will be in?
Old 08-19-17, 11:27 AM
All District

NW so they will be in a close race with Ashland and Whitmer for the 2nd and 3rd spots to make it to state. At this point I would say Defiance and Whitmer will make it. Assuming Whitmer's really good top 3 stay healthy and can find a good 5th guys because they are not a deep team.

Norwalk is another team moving up to D1 to keep an eye on. Right now I would put them behind these above but they return most of their state team.
Old 08-20-17, 11:02 AM
Junior Varsity

runner12345 is on a distinguished road
Carroll is moving to D1 as well, and finished 4th at D2 state last year. They will be a top 20 team.
Old 08-21-17, 03:21 PM
All District

It appears 4 state teams from D2 moved up to D1 Defiance, Norwalk, Carroll and Granville (Eastmoor 1 boy under cut-off). Therefore the already hard division 1 just got that much better.

It will be very interesting to how they compete against many schools that are twice or even 4 times their size.