Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-13-17, 02:16 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
ESPN anchor Jemele Hill calls Trump a bigot, white supremecist

Looks like ESPN has gone all in on this political hot potato...
Quote:
This ESPN anchor caused an uproar by calling Trump a bigot. Dwyane Wade has her back

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nb...torylink=cpyOn Monday, ESPN anchor Jamele Hill called out President Donald Trump on Twitter, calling him a white supremacist, “the most ignorant, offensive president of my lifetime,” and a bigot — among other things.

The following day, ESPN issued a response to their “SportsCenter” host, saying those comments “do not represent the position of ESPN” and that “we have addressed this with Jemele and she recognizes her actions were inappropriate.”
Read more:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nb...#storylink=cpy
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-17, 02:29 PM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
And now the White House is telling ESPN to fire her.

She shouldn't have said it on the air. She can have her opinions, but saying it on the air wasn't the place to voice the opinion. And the White House shouldn't be telling a company that someone should be fired
Old 09-13-17, 02:38 PM
Go Buckeyes

I agree. The White House should just keep quiet.

But, ESPN should do the right thing and fire her. Only a tiny part because of this issue. Mostly because she is one of the most boring personalities on ESPN.
Old 09-13-17, 02:39 PM
Go Buckeyes

And Dwyane Wade should shut his mouth too.
Old 09-13-17, 02:39 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Booooooooo click bait title. You're better than that, Yappi.

Agreed with BJF. Doesn't need to be, and definitely won't be, fired though.
Old 09-13-17, 02:41 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Booooooooo click bait title. You're better than that, Yappi.
It's the title of the article on their website...
Old 09-13-17, 02:50 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
It's the title of the article on their website...
You couldn't come up with anything better?
Old 09-13-17, 03:19 PM
Go Buckeyes

Is that better?
Old 09-13-17, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Was disappointed she survived the layoffs. Wouldn't be sad if she's let go after this.
Old 09-13-17, 03:29 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Was disappointed she survived the layoffs. Wouldn't be sad if she's let go after this.
I was shocked she survived the layoffs. Some very good personalities were let go at that time. It seems that she has some dirt on someone at ESPN because they keep giving her shows and very few people watch. Highly unlikely she gets canned for this...
Old 09-13-17, 03:31 PM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
The only time I watch ESPN is if a particular team say OSU is playing and I never watch the 6pm show with those 2 numb nuts. It's horrible. ESPM thinking that show is any good shows just how bad they've become and the lose of viewership proves it.

The thing that gets conservatives is Curt Shelling is fired for saying boys should use buys rest rooms and girls should use girls but she goes on a rant and nothing happens. That's why I don't watch it anymore.
Old 09-13-17, 03:32 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
And now the White House is telling ESPN to fire her.

She shouldn't have said it on the air. She can have her opinions, but saying it on the air wasn't the place to voice the opinion. And the White House shouldn't be telling a company that someone should be fired
How does she have a job? She has to be top 5 dumbest people ever hired by espn
Old 09-13-17, 03:37 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
The thing that gets conservatives is Curt Shelling is fired for saying boys should use buys rest rooms and girls should use girls but she goes on a rant and nothing happens. That's why I don't watch it anymore.
These two events show where ESPN is on the political spectrum. They are making their political voice heard and their ratings appear to be suffering from it.
Old 09-13-17, 03:48 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Their ratings are likely suffering because there is zero need to watch Sportscenter in 2017.

"Oh boy, let me sit here for an hour waiting to see clips of the handful of games I care about instead of opening my computer and finding them in 30 seconds."

Their need to emphasize controversy and debate is likely a response to their falling ratings, not a symptom of it.

Ultimately, they will have to come up with a different model soon. That model likely involves lots of live sporting events and very little content otherwise to drastically reduce overhead. The mass layoffs are the first step in this direction.

FS1 is a failure thus far for this same reason. They thought people still wanted to turn on their TV's and hear people yell hot takes at each other in 2017, so they spent a ton of money to get Skip Bayless and Cowherd, but that is simply not the direction viewer habits are headed in.
Old 09-13-17, 03:59 PM
All World

Quote:
And Dwyane Wade should shut his mouth too.
Dwayne can agree with her if he wants. He's not employed by ESPN, and I'm sure a lot of his peers feel the same way. If the Bulls or he NBA want to separate themselves from him, that's up to them. But I have a feeling they won't
Old 09-13-17, 04:09 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree. The White House should just keep quiet.

But, ESPN should do the right thing and fire her. Only a tiny part because of this issue. Mostly because she is one of the most boring personalities on ESPN.
This is right! Sanders from the White House should not have made the remark she made but on the flip side the woman from ESPN should be fired. And I disagree Yappi is should be because of her comments. The hypocrisy of the left never ceases to amaze me. Look what happened to Mike Ditka and Curt Schilling. It's open season on anyone who has an opinion that doesn't go along with the Progressives right now. Frankly, IMO politics doesn't belong in entertainment or sports. When I go to the theater, concert hall or sporting arena I'm there to be entertained. I quit going to the Broadway Series plays in Cincinnati because of how much they were intertwining their BS political views in all the plays. I'm about to shut off NFL football on Sundays because of the over paid morons protesting during the national anthem.

Free speech on your own time not when you are getting paid to do a job.
Old 09-13-17, 04:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
Free speech on your own time not when you are getting paid to do a job.
Says the guy who posts on the Yappi debate board during work.
Old 09-13-17, 04:19 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
These two events show where ESPN is on the political spectrum. They are making their political voice heard and their ratings appear to be suffering from it.
You're absolutely right Yappi and taking sides in the political debate is a foolish thing for ESPN to do.

The hypocrisy of this is also off the charts. Either let your on air sports personalities speak their minds on political & cultural matters and support ALL of them as simply voicing a range of opinions or insist they ALL shut the heck up and talk sports. What ESPN is doing now is the worst of both worlds by allowing political speech as long as it lines up with the left.

Wasn't it Micheal Jordan who famously said "Republicans buy sneakers to".
Old 09-13-17, 04:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Their ratings are likely suffering because there is zero need to watch Sportscenter in 2017.

"Oh boy, let me sit here for an hour waiting to see clips of the handful of games I care about instead of opening my computer and finding them in 30 seconds."

Their need to emphasize controversy and debate is likely a response to their falling ratings, not a symptom of it.

Ultimately, they will have to come up with a different model soon. That model likely involves lots of live sporting events and very little content otherwise to drastically reduce overhead. The mass layoffs are the first step in this direction.

FS1 is a failure thus far for this same reason. They thought people still wanted to turn on their TV's and hear people yell hot takes at each other in 2017, so they spent a ton of money to get Skip Bayless and Cowherd, but that is simply not the direction viewer habits are headed in.
I disagree with this NEO. Sure I can open my laptop and get highlights for just about any sporting event on earth but it's more fun to hear sports commentators stoking the highlights while jumping between different game highlights. When done right this is still a fun way to view the days adventures in sport.

I also don't buy your notion that ESPN needs to "emphasize controversy and debate" to prop up their ratings. If that were true they wouldn't have fired Kurt Shilling or drove Rush Limbaugh off Game Day. The fact is that the senior management at espn AND Disney agree with what Jemele Hill said. It's that simple and it's why she still has a job.

And yes, by taking sides in the current political/cultural debates, espn is hurting their ratings. How much, we don't know but it is having an effect.
Old 09-13-17, 04:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I can open my laptop and get highlights for just about any sporting event on earth in a couple of minutes but it's more fun to hear sports commentators stoking the highlights while jumping between different game highlights.
You are in the minority. And one that will be shrinking each year as older people die off.

Quote:
I also don't buy your notion that ESPN needs to "emphasize controversy and debate" to prop up their ratings.
I believe either they or FS1's slogan for a period of time was "embrace debate." One simply needs to look at any of the dozens of identical talking head shows that sprung up over the past decade to realize this was what ESPN(incorrectly) thought people wanted.
Old 09-13-17, 05:11 PM
All Ohio

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And now the White House is telling ESPN to fire

And the White House shouldn't be telling a company that someone should be fired
Did you feel the same way about this quote?
Quote:
He wouldn't be working for me after any of those statements.
Old 09-13-17, 05:37 PM
All World

The White House said nothing when anyone else says the same stuff about Trump. How many late night hosts have said virtually the same thing? The White House never once called for any of them to be fired.
Old 09-13-17, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
You are in the minority. And one that will be shrinking each year as older people die off.

I believe either they or FS1's slogan for a period of time was "embrace debate." One simply needs to look at any of the dozens of identical talking head shows that sprung up over the past decade to realize this was what ESPN(incorrectly) thought people wanted.
I bet we can't die off fast enough for you!

As for espn wanting their announcers to "embrace debate" don't you think they meant sports debates and NOT political ones? Only an imbecile within espn could believe that a sports network would gain viewers by stoking political controversy. The ONLY debate the sports viewer is interested in at espn would be along the lines of this:

"In college football, the SEC is way overrated and the B1G is underrated"

Now that will get sports fans talking. BTW, I don't think espn thought people wanted political debate that slanted left. I think the people running espn & Disney live in a progressive left bubble where all correct thinking folks lean left.
Old 09-13-17, 05:52 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Never heard of her...hence I’m not inclined to give a sht.
Old 09-13-17, 06:09 PM
All Yappi

Did the White House actually call for her to be fired or did they remark that saying something like thst would be a fireable offense?
Old 09-13-17, 06:30 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Never heard of her...hence Iím not inclined to give a sht.
I've heard of her. I suffer through some of the ads for her and the other socio-sports clowns in the background on ESPN during live sporting events' commercials if I'm occupied with something that prevents me from punching the "last" button on the remote.

Aside from live sports, SVP, and an occasional 30 for 30, ESPN is useless anymore.
Old 09-13-17, 06:49 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Did the White House actually call for her to be fired or did they remark that saying something like would be a fireable offense?
The bolded words are what Sanders said.
Old 09-13-17, 07:03 PM
All World

"I think that's one of the more outrageous comments that anyone could make, uh, and certainly something, I think, is a fireable offense by ESPN."
Old 09-13-17, 07:08 PM
All Yappi

Right, so they didn't call for her firing.

Slandering the President is just not a good idea. She's a moron.
Old 09-13-17, 07:16 PM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"I think that's one of the more outrageous comments that anyone could make, uh, and certainly something, I think, is a fireable offense by ESPN."
I don't really care if it's a fireable offense or not because I just turn the channel. The beef is if that's not a fireable offense to the liberal suites at ESPN then neither was Shillings. You can't have it both ways. By the way ESPN has paid dearly for the liberal direction the station has taken that's one of the reasons why they had some pretty big layoffs and from what I understand another layoff is coming in the near future. Suit yourself I guess. No sweat off my back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: