Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-10-17, 02:52 PM
Varsity

OVTC is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to Mason High School

The meet on September 9th was spectacular. The use of technology on hand for scoring and replay on tv as well as the music really added to the overall experience. Excellent turnout and fan support, over all a fantastic day.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-17, 08:38 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
I'll second this. It's a really good event. Some may view the straw bales and creek crossings as "gimmicky" but it's a nice change from the "same old same old." Events like this help keep the sport from getting stale. Additionally, the steep hill in the woods, albeit short, can be pretty tough on the psyche of a runner.

Individually, Conant Smith put in a strong individual effort to get the win in 15:15. I can't recall the course record, I believe it is held by Carmel's Ben Veatch, but Conant had to be close on Saturday. He's going to be very strong in November.

Team-wise, Trinity of Louisville put in strong work with the 2, 10, 11, 14, 17, & 19 finishers to score 54 for the win (I don't know what happened to the #7). Mason also ran strongly getting all of their scorers in at 22nd or less. Although Carmel and a few other top programs no longer attend the event, it's still attracts a high quality field.

On the young women's side, Ursuline is looking really good. The also had 54 for the win. Call me crazy but this could be the year for them to challenge Centerville at Troy.
Old 09-11-17, 09:34 AM
All Region

panott is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
I'll second this. It's a really good event. Some may view the straw bales and creek crossings as "gimmicky" but it's a nice change from the "same old same old." Events like this help keep the sport from getting stale. Additionally, the steep hill in the woods, albeit short, can be pretty tough on the psyche of a runner.

Individually, Conant Smith put in a strong individual effort to get the win in 15:15. I can't recall the course record, I believe it is held by Carmel's Ben Veatch, but Conant had to be close on Saturday. He's going to be very strong in November.

Team-wise, Trinity of Louisville put in strong work with the 2, 10, 11, 14, 17, & 19 finishers to score 54 for the win (I don't know what happened to the #7). Mason also ran strongly getting all of their scorers in at 22nd or less. Although Carmel and a few other top programs no longer attend the event, it's still attracts a high quality field.

On the young women's side, Ursuline is looking really good. The also had 54 for the win. Call me crazy but this could be the year for them to challenge Centerville at Troy.
Course record is 14:58 or 14:59. The hay bales are illegal, I'm not sure how they get away with doing that each year. The State has told them that for several years but the continue to use them.
Old 09-11-17, 10:09 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Mason course is not fast by any means. If you go fast there you are very good
Old 09-11-17, 10:49 AM
All American

Seek Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by panott View Post
Course record is 14:58 or 14:59. The hay bales are illegal, I'm not sure how they get away with doing that each year. The State has told them that for several years but the continue to use them.
Chris Walden has the course record of 14:59. I think that was his fastest time of the season, but I may be incorrect.
Old 09-11-17, 11:24 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Ursuline is good and will be in the mix. But they are far from Centerville. Unless you have 5 under 18:30 or 7 under 18:45 you have no shot at Centerville. They are a top 10 team in the country.

I would look for Mason, Beavercreek and Troy right with them come the regional. Springboro is also a possible top 5 team in the state.

Last edited by EuclidandViren; 09-11-17 at 07:39 PM..
Old 09-11-17, 07:11 PM
Freshman

cometcoach is on a distinguished road
We were very pleased to have a great turnout, some solid competition and a fun environment for athletes to run. Thanks to all of those that came out this Saturday.

We would extend an invite to any teams statewide (or outside of the state) that would like to come and see a fun course with varied terrain and a great fan atmosphere.
Old 09-12-17, 11:26 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Mason should be given the southwest regional meet.
Old 09-12-17, 11:30 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
It is a very nice meet. I will second the observations about Conant Smith. He looked really, really strong.
Old 09-12-17, 01:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
Nope. Cedarville has that on lock. Mason would be a great spot for a district.
Old 09-12-17, 01:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Cedarville is nice and all. Not the best spectator course and parking not prime. Nothing beats Troy for spectators. You can see 80% of the race if not 90% if you are willing to move your booty around.

Rumor is the SW Regional is moving and possibly THE BIGgest RACE of the year is heading towards the Clark County Fairgrounds AKA home of Finishtiming.com

The raceway (AKA xc on a dragstrip) is under new management and our contract could be bought out for a higher price ticket item by the new owners.
Old 09-12-17, 01:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
Quote:
"should"

I know they won't.
Old 09-12-17, 02:48 PM
All American

Quote:
What are you guys talking about? The last that I checked, the SW regional is still being held at Troy.

As for the district sites, I don't see them moving from Cedarville & VOA.
Old 09-12-17, 05:36 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Cedarville is nice and all. Not the best spectator course and parking not prime. Nothing beats Troy for spectators. You can see 80% of the race if not 90% if you are willing to move your booty around.

Rumor is the SW Regional is moving and possibly THE BIGgest RACE of the year is heading towards the Clark County Fairgrounds AKA home of Finishtiming.com

The raceway (AKA xc on a dragstrip) is under new management and our contract could be bought out for a higher price ticket item by the new owners.
not sure about when things are going to change but I believe that Troy will not be a regional. THis is pure speculation but you hit a few points. Cedarville will be the regional, state will be in Springfield and the SW districts will split and go to local courses like Anna, Centerville, Milton or a few other courses that host large invites during the year.
Old 09-12-17, 06:14 PM
All District

XCFan98 is on a distinguished road
District

Mason held the district for one year. (flatter, simple course) It seemed to go well, but it returned to VOA the following year.

I don't see it changing any time soon. For some reason VOA seems to be the place of choice for districts.
Old 09-13-17, 08:33 AM
All American

Quote:
Cedarville will be the regional, state will be in Springfield and the SW districts will split and go to local courses like Anna, Centerville, Milton or a few other courses that host large invites during the year.
So you're postulating that the SW district meets will be solely in the Dayton/Miami Valley area and that Centerville could possibly be the closest district for Cincinnati area schools? Yeah, that won't happen.
Old 09-13-17, 09:02 AM
All World

Quote:
So you're postulating that the SW district meets will be solely in the Dayton/Miami Valley area and that Centerville could possibly be the closest district for Cincinnati area schools? Yeah, that won't happen.
no I just didnt add Cinci to the post.
Old 09-13-17, 09:24 AM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not sure that being spectator friendly should matter in a cross country race, particularly in the postseason. I think avoiding pavement and loose asphalt is more important at districts, regionals and state. The state course is horrible.

I prefer VOA over Mason, but donít really care for the current VOA course all that much. Too much pavement at Mason, but other than that I like the championship course. If that could be remedied somehowÖ

SW regional should be at Cedarville. In fact if I had my way I would hold a super district at Cedarville (all four districts seeded and run together) the first week and the regional at Cedarville the next week.
Old 09-13-17, 09:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
SW regional should be at Cedarville. In fact if I had my way I would hold a super district at Cedarville (all four districts seeded and run together) the first week and the regional at Cedarville the next week.
Super district-- what is the difference with the regional race?

Would it just be 60 teams racing the first week and then an allocated smaller number of the same teams the second week?

I feel that many top teams would run their JV teams the first week. That already happens at the Dayton District for D1. It is a nice off week for the super teams like Centerville, Beavercreek and Troy. They then come back ready to race at Regional and State. Coincidence that they were 1-2-3 last year at the state meet? I think not.
Old 09-13-17, 10:23 AM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Super district-- what is the difference with the regional race?

Would it just be 60 teams racing the first week and then an allocated smaller number of the same teams the second week?

I feel that many top teams would run their JV teams the first week. That already happens at the Dayton District for D1. It is a nice off week for the super teams like Centerville, Beavercreek and Troy. They then come back ready to race at Regional and State. Coincidence that they were 1-2-3 last year at the state meet? I think not.
I think there is something like 50-52 teams in SW region in D1. There would be 4 separate district races with all 52 teams seeded into these races with 11-12 teams per race. So you might see Mason, St X, and Centerville plus somebody else for boys as #1 seeds. The 2-4 spot teams in the race would be quite competitive. Iím not sure with 4 spots advancing Mason or St X would make the top 4 most years with their reserves, so they would have to run some of their top guys. In any event, I donít recall on the boys side in recent years the top teams not running their best guys at VOA. As I recall, Centerville girls did that at Troy last year and almost didnít move on.

I think it is pretty clear that the Dayton Districts overall have less depth than the Cinci Districts (most years) and they would provide better overall competition for these spots year on year.
Old 09-13-17, 11:09 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
I'm not sure that being spectator friendly should matter in a cross country race, particularly in the postseason. I think avoiding pavement and loose asphalt is more important at districts, regionals and state. The state course is horrible.

I prefer VOA over Mason, but donít really care for the current VOA course all that much. Too much pavement at Mason, but other than that I like the championship course. If that could be remedied somehowÖ

Every year there is talk about encouraging "marginal" teams to get "five on the line" so your district gets maximum representation. If you tell some of those marginal Cincinnati teams that they need to travel to Cedarville for a district race that they have no chance of competing in you will get less participation, not more.