Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-04-17, 03:11 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
OVTC chases his cross country dream

OVTC has not been sitting idly by letting his dream die of reviving Cincinnati public schools cross country. He has a meeting set up with the Athletic Director of CPS for Tuesday. He is taking with him a former Walnut Hills coach and a former UC coach to present a plan for reviving cross country in the inner city. Good luck to him and his team.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-17, 09:04 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
As a former Walnut Hills cross country coach I wish them good luck. I hope they can do it. My son is a freshman running cross country in the Columbus City Schools, and I have friends who coach at some other CCS schools. I have seen the challenges, but they can be overcome if there is institutional support.
Old 09-04-17, 09:44 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
if there is institutional support.
What do you consider necessary items from the district and school administrations? I agree that support is necessary and would like to see what others consider important components.
Old 09-04-17, 10:53 AM
All American

Finding a safe place to practice and providing an activity bus or bus passes for kids to get home after practice. These are the biggest two. Finding coaches, and having two paid coaches. One for boys, one for girls, or head and assistant. The next is pushing athletic directors to work hard to recruit kids. With those you can get a program going.
Old 09-04-17, 11:29 AM
Freshman

NECoach is on a distinguished road
Starting with a youth running program, if possible run by elementary teachers, can make all the difference. A small investment in a supplemental contract for younger kids can yield big results in a few years.
Old 09-05-17, 04:59 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Affordable training shoes, transportation home after practice and weekday meets. One person in the administration that cares enough to show up at a meet and understands the sport. Recognition in morning announcements is good too.
Old 09-05-17, 08:14 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Affordable training shoes, transportation home after practice and weekday meets. One person in the administration that cares enough to show up at a meet and understands the sport. Recognition in morning announcements is good too.
Good points. Thanks psychodad. I have been able to help my son's team with some training and racing shoes. (At the end of every year I get a half dozen to a dozen pairs of spikes from graduating athletes donating them. If no one on our team needs them I try to find a good home for them somewhere else.) Recognition helps a lot too. Both as an incentive to join and simply to let kids know there is a team. I am thankful for my son's principal, who goes to some of everything and pays attention to what's going on. It's a 7-12 school, and last year when my son was in 8th grade he was sky high after the principal passed him in the hallway and said "Nice job making the city finals."
Old 09-05-17, 10:02 AM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
This is all great stuff. It would be great to see a revival of Cincinnati Public Schools cross country.
Old 09-05-17, 10:12 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Many great points. If OVTC makes any progress or needs help with anything he should post it on this site. I will be first in line to make a $ donation or help with other items he may need.
Old 09-08-17, 11:14 AM
Freshman

runaficionado is on a distinguished road
Meeting with CPHS AD and Asst. AD

OVTC and I met earlier this week with the Athletic Manager (AM) of the CPHS league regarding the desire of OVTC to help develop a viable cross country program in the CPHS. I was impressed and encouraged by the interest exhibited by both individuals. Everyone agrees that it will not be an easy undertaking but that it is a worthwhile project for a wide variety of reasons. Three goals were established:

1. To have a CPHS League Cross Country Championship Meet in 2018.

2. To have a coach named for each B&G team. Currently the school ADs are looking for individuals within their school buildings. The AM is not adverse to having outside personnel serving as assistants, or perhaps as head coaches if needed.

3. To have at least five boys and five girls on each squad in 2018 with the plan to double that in 2019.
Old 09-11-17, 11:09 AM
Freshman

runaficionado is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
Many great points. If OVTC makes any progress or needs help with anything he should post it on this site. I will be first in line to make a $ donation or help with other items he may need.
Everything is at a very early stage now. There may come a time when assistance is requested. Thank you for your offer.
Old 09-12-17, 08:23 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaficionado View Post
OVTC and I met earlier this week with the Athletic Manager (AM) of the CPHS league regarding the desire of OVTC to help develop a viable cross country program in the CPHS. I was impressed and encouraged by the interest exhibited by both individuals. Everyone agrees that it will not be an easy undertaking but that it is a worthwhile project for a wide variety of reasons. Three goals were established:

1. To have a CPHS League Cross Country Championship Meet in 2018.

2. To have a coach named for each B&G team. Currently the school ADs are looking for individuals within their school buildings. The AM is not adverse to having outside personnel serving as assistants, or perhaps as head coaches if needed.

3. To have at least five boys and five girls on each squad in 2018 with the plan to double that in 2019.
Thank you to both of you for your efforts.