Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #541  
Old 05-11-18, 10:26 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,304
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Ball finished 10/7/7 this year. Iíd say he evolves into a very good nba player. I mean, I donít like his dad either, but you have to be honest that the kid has talent and a lot of upside.
I question your definition of a very good NBA player. He played 34 minutes per game. 10/7/7 is very, very, very attainable, especially when you have the ball in your hands most of the time you are on the floor.
EP, I can only imagine you are trolling as you normally do. We've went over this countless times. Guys like LeBron, Westbrook, Simmons, Lonzo are going to compile alot of statistics because the most important stat for them is minutes played. There are so many possessions in NBA games, so many opportunities to stuff the stat sheet. Lonzo's main numbers you need to look at, FG% 36%, 3Pt FG% 30%, and FT% 44%.
Lonzo had the lowest FG% of players who took more than 10 shots per game. Two others were in the neighborhood. Justin Holiday of the Bulls, 72 games 10.9 shots per game 37%,(he did actually have a respectible 35% 3Pt%) and Isaiah Thomas - who took an incredible 13 shots per game, making only 37%. I'll also note that both of those guys also shoot free throws at over 80%.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #542  
Old 05-11-18, 10:27 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,304
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Again, I guess I have to repost my original post since you're too stupid to remember what was said. I said he doesn't have the size or physicality to get to the rim like LeBron does. If you think that is the entirely of LeBron's game, you're dumber than I originally gave you credit for.

This has been told to you a million times: there are other aspects of the game than shooting. Tony Allen carved out a 14 year career without being able to shoot. And Lonzo is a significantly better passer, playmaker and rebounder than Tony Allen ever was. Jason Kidd couldn't shoot an an NBA level when he was drafted. Now he's one of the best 3pt shooters of all time. Lonzo will likely never reach that, but he can improve his shooting. And that doesn't change the fact you said all of this after one month. Which is exactly how many games Markelle Fultz has played, one month's worth.

When did I ever say Embiid played a full season before this year? I get 2 and 4 because that's how long they've been in the league. That's how many years of NBA practices, conditioning, strength training etc. How you can say that isn't experience is beyond me.
I would say that Embiid has probably been involved in less practices than games so far in his career.
Reply With Quote
  #543  
Old 05-11-18, 10:32 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 3,677
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I would say that Embiid has probably been involved in less practices than games so far in his career.
You say a lot of things. They are almost always wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #544  
Old 05-11-18, 10:34 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,891
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I question your definition of a very good NBA player. He played 34 minutes per game. 10/7/7 is very, very, very attainable, especially when you have the ball in your hands most of the time you are on the floor.
EP, I can only imagine you are trolling as you normally do. We've went over this countless times. Guys like LeBron, Westbrook, Simmons, Lonzo are going to compile alot of statistics because the most important stat for them is minutes played. There are so many possessions in NBA games, so many opportunities to stuff the stat sheet. Lonzo's main numbers you need to look at, FG% 36%, 3Pt FG% 30%, and FT% 44%.
Lonzo had the lowest FG% of players who took more than 10 shots per game. Two others were in the neighborhood. Justin Holiday of the Bulls, 72 games 10.9 shots per game 37%,(he did actually have a respectible 35% 3Pt%) and Isaiah Thomas - who took an incredible 13 shots per game, making only 37%. I'll also note that both of those guys also shoot free throws at over 80%.
I see him having a career similar to Jason Kidd. Kiddís career eFG% was 460 and wasnít over 500 until he was 35. Ballís eFG% was 440 and I would expect heíll be around 500-520 range for his career.
Reply With Quote
  #545  
Old 05-11-18, 10:56 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,891
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
It’s interesting though. Simmons avg 16/8/8 on basically the same minutes and a much higher usage rate than Ball. Simmons basically is a non-threat from 3. So 6/1/1 is the difference and you’re a huge Simmons guy and think Ball doesn’t even deserve to be in the league. Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #546  
Old 05-11-18, 10:57 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,657
joesports is on a distinguished road
I don't see Lonzo being as good as Jason Kidd ... Kidd was a much better athlete ... but I do think Lonzo will be a fairly decent player ... to me his best attribute is his play making abilities ... I just don't see him being elite because of his physical limitations ... the problem will be is that he most likely never live up to the hype around him.

PS - Taco ... while Jason Kidd improved his shooting greatly ... he will never be considered "one of the best 3 point shooter of all time" ... he has a career % of 34% and only shot above 40% 2 or 3 times in his career ... but I do get your point about his improvement in that area. Also, Tony Allen carved out a 14 year career based on being a solid defensive player ... journeyman at best ... hardly a good comparison for Lonzo.
Reply With Quote
  #547  
Old 05-11-18, 10:59 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 3,677
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Raptors fire Casey - going after Budenholzer?
Reply With Quote
  #548  
Old 05-11-18, 11:02 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 3,677
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
I don't see Lonzo being as good as Jason Kidd ... Kidd was a much better athlete ... but I do think Lonzo will be a fairly decent player ... to me his best attribute is his play making abilities ... I just don't see him being elite because of his physical limitations ... the problem will be is that he most likely never live up to the hype around him.

PS - Taco ... while Jason Kidd improved his shooting greatly ... he will never be considered "one of the best 3 point shooter of all time" ... he has a career % of 34% and only shot above 40% 2 or 3 times in his career ... but I do get your point about his improvement in that area. Also, Tony Allen carved out a 14 year career based on being a solid defensive player ... journeyman at best ... hardly a good comparison for Lonzo.
Good call on Kidd not having a great 3pt shooting percentage. I just remember seeing his name on the top 10 of FGs made. But a lot of that has to do with the 3pt shot not being utilized until the late 80s, even though it was introduced much earlier than that. And I wasn't comparing him to Tony Allen. I said other players have carved out careers while not being able to shoot.
Reply With Quote
  #549  
Old 05-11-18, 11:05 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,891
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
I don't see Lonzo being as good as Jason Kidd ... Kidd was a much better athlete ... but I do think Lonzo will be a fairly decent player ... to me his best attribute is his play making abilities ... I just don't see him being elite because of his physical limitations ... the problem will be is that he most likely never live up to the hype around him.

PS - Taco ... while Jason Kidd improved his shooting greatly ... he will never be considered "one of the best 3 point shooter of all time" ... he has a career % of 34% and only shot above 40% 2 or 3 times in his career ... but I do get your point about his improvement in that area. Also, Tony Allen carved out a 14 year career based on being a solid defensive player ... journeyman at best ... hardly a good comparison for Lonzo.
Kidd-like; similar to Kidd. Agree, he may not achieve Kiddís level, but I think he could be a solid 15/8/8 guy, which puts him in rare multi-skill territory. Just curious what does Ball lack that Kidd has athletically?
Reply With Quote
  #550  
Old 05-11-18, 11:12 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,657
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Kidd-like; similar to Kidd. Agree, he may not achieve Kidd’s level, but I think he could be a solid 15/8/8 guy, which puts him in rare multi-skill territory. Just curious what does Ball lack that Kidd has athletically?
I agree that he could be Kidd like (15/8/8) ... but Kidd was quicker and stronger, could take it to the hole better and much better defensively ... I do think Lonzo will improve on these, but still never be as good as Kidd.
Reply With Quote
  #551  
Old 05-11-18, 11:16 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 31,495
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Raptors fire Casey - going after Budenholzer?
Holy Schottenheimer, Batman! NBA Coach of the Year.....and fired
Reply With Quote
  #552  
Old 05-11-18, 11:17 AM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 6,810
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Anyone have the Vegas line on the two conference championships?
Reply With Quote
  #553  
Old 05-11-18, 11:23 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 3,677
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Anyone have the Vegas line on the two conference championships?
GS are at -190 favorites to win the series.
Cavs are the favorites at -275
Reply With Quote
  #554  
Old 05-11-18, 11:26 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 31,495
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Cowherd calling BS on Griffin claiming the Cavs "were just about to get good" with Kyrie when LBJ returned. 17 games under .500 in the East.

While on Simmons' show, Griffin also claimed that he could have kept Kyrie in Cleveland. As far as I'm concerned, that's also BS. He didn't want to be in the shadow OR be left behind if LeBron split.
Reply With Quote
  #555  
Old 05-11-18, 11:44 AM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 3,302
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Holy Schottenheimer, Batman! NBA Coach of the Year.....and fired
I had to read the headline twice. Has that ever happened before to win COY and get fired in the same year?
Reply With Quote
  #556  
Old 05-11-18, 12:08 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 3,677
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Cowherd calling BS on Griffin claiming the Cavs "were just about to get good" with Kyrie when LBJ returned. 17 games under .500 in the East.

While on Simmons' show, Griffin also claimed that he could have kept Kyrie in Cleveland. As far as I'm concerned, that's also BS. He didn't want to be in the shadow OR be left behind if LeBron split.
Yeah, don't really buy either. But I did enjoy the bit about last year's playoff match up against Toronto and the Kyrie pre-LeBron era.

Toronto, according to David Griffin:
"There's no play that you;ll run against LeBron that he can't name. In 2017 vs Toronto he told Patrick Patterson where he was supposed to go on the play the Raptors called out of the time out. He said 'No Pat, you're supposed to stand over there and set a pick for Demar.'"

Pre-Lebron Kyrie Era, according to David Griffin:
"Kyrie had recruited a lot of guys to build a team around him and even got commitments from Gordon Hayward, Trevor Ariza, and other guys who were waiting on LeBron's decision."

I think Hayward was a RFA so Utah would have matched but still interesting. IIRC, that is one thing LeBron didn't do in his first stint in Cleveland. He didn't, and I think refused to when asked, to recruit players to come. He felt that was the GMs job. Makes me wonder if that was part of Kyrie's frustration. He thought he was going into 2014-15 season as the guy, with a team built around him. Then LeBron comes and all that changes.
Reply With Quote
  #557  
Old 05-11-18, 12:13 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,891
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
I had to read the headline twice. Has that ever happened before to win COY and get fired in the same year?
George Karl was fired after winning COY in Denver, I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #558  
Old 05-11-18, 12:29 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 6,771
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
In 9 seasons with Denver, Karl made the playoffs every single year, but lost in the first round 8 times lol that's rough.
Reply With Quote
  #559  
Old 05-11-18, 01:06 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,891
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
In 9 seasons with Denver, Karl made the playoffs every single year, but lost in the first round 8 times lol that's rough.
Marvin Lewis is the George Karl of the NFL.

Btw, they fired him and haven’t made the playoffs since.
Reply With Quote
  #560  
Old 05-11-18, 01:55 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,304
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Itís interesting though. Simmons avg 16/8/8 on basically the same minutes and a much higher usage rate than Ball. Simmons basically is a non-threat from 3. So 6/1/1 is the difference and youíre a huge Simmons guy and think Ball doesnít even deserve to be in the league. Lol.
Simmons shot 54% from the field, Ball 37% I rest my case...
Reply With Quote
  #561  
Old 05-11-18, 01:57 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,304
14Red is on a distinguished road
So is the Cavs/ Celtics the JV championship and the Warriors/ Rockets the Varsity championship?
Reply With Quote
  #562  
Old 05-11-18, 02:00 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,891
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Simmons shot 54% from the field, Ball 37% I rest my case...
Clint Capela must be the best player in the league then.
Reply With Quote
  #563  
Old 05-11-18, 02:12 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 3,677
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
So is the Cavs/ Celtics the JV championship and the Warriors/ Rockets the Varsity championship?
No, all four teams play in the NBA, a professional league. This isn't high school.
Reply With Quote
  #564  
Old 05-11-18, 02:32 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,304
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Clint Capela must be the best player in the league then.
Capela had .09 assists per game, Simmons 8.2.
Reply With Quote
  #565  
Old 05-11-18, 02:51 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,891
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Capela had .09 assists per game, Simmons 8.2.
Why pass it when you make it 70% of the time? Heíd only be passing to an inferior player.
Reply With Quote
  #566  
Old 05-11-18, 06:15 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 31,495
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Yeah, don't really buy either. But I did enjoy the bit about last year's playoff match up against Toronto and the Kyrie pre-LeBron era.

Toronto, according to David Griffin:
"There's no play that you;ll run against LeBron that he can't name. In 2017 vs Toronto he told Patrick Patterson where he was supposed to go on the play the Raptors called out of the time out. He said 'No Pat, you're supposed to stand over there and set a pick for Demar.'"

Pre-Lebron Kyrie Era, according to David Griffin:
"Kyrie had recruited a lot of guys to build a team around him and even got commitments from Gordon Hayward, Trevor Ariza, and other guys who were waiting on LeBron's decision."

I think Hayward was a RFA so Utah would have matched but still interesting. IIRC, that is one thing LeBron didn't do in his first stint in Cleveland. He didn't, and I think refused to when asked, to recruit players to come. He felt that was the GMs job. Makes me wonder if that was part of Kyrie's frustration. He thought he was going into 2014-15 season as the guy, with a team built around him. Then LeBron comes and all that changes.
I always guessed that he had to be frustrated by first having his college career cut short and then briefly being the focus when drafted by the Cavs, suffering through dreck line-ups and bad draft picks in hopes of improvement, only to become instant-second-banana when the King returned.

https://clutchpoints.com/celtics-new...ade-from-cavs/

Quote:
“I kind of want to put that to rest in terms of everyone figuring out or trying to continue to dive into a narrative they have no idea about and probably will never, ever be divulged because it’s not important,” Irving said. “This was literally just a decision I wanted to make solely based on my happiness and pushing my career forward. I don’t want to pinpoint anything, I will never pinpoint anything because that’s not what real grown-ups do. They continue to move on with their life and continue to progress and that’s what I’m going to continue to do.”
I give him credit for never really coming out and saying it, but I think everyone knew it was LeBron's shadow and as such, his threat to have knee surgery and sit out 17/18 was very believable.

It was also said that he vetoed two other trades before Boston with the same threat of knee surgery. Altman had to get value back for him, and the Nets pick was possibly the only real option.
Reply With Quote
  #567  
Old 05-17-18, 09:17 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,304
14Red is on a distinguished road
Now we have a series! The Rockets looked great last night evening the series with the Warriors 1-1. The Warriors do have home court, but the Rockets showed that they have the firepower to hang with Golden State.
Reply With Quote
  #568  
Old 05-17-18, 10:09 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,160
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Capela had .09 assists per game, Simmons 8.2.
They do have the same range.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva One Who Knows General Board 5688 05-22-18 08:17 PM
The future of AAU and college basketball hvs1717 Boys Basketball 17 03-21-18 09:03 PM
What changes would you make to the NFL, NBA, and/or MLB? Yappi General Board 92 02-07-18 11:20 AM
Luke Kennard--NBA Draft 2017 borntopin Boys Basketball 24 10-20-17 03:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz