Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-20-15, 11:18 AM
All District

eagles73 is on a distinguished road
Has the illegal screen went the way of the Dodo Bird? If I knew how to pull parts of game film from Hudl I would, but unfortunately I am not that savvy. I know the rule states the screen must be within the framework of the body, meaning shoulder width. However, I have witnessed in every game, 11 so far screens being set with feet well outside the framework, and some with elbows flared out and then leaning into the screen and not called. I have asked repeatedly from officials before the game asking why this rule is not being enforced across the board. I have scouted teams and witnessed this, and watched scout film as well. Most refs give me the cookie cutter rule interpretation and then still dont call them.
Old 01-20-15, 11:33 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Without being there or seeing video there's no way to discuss this.

If you can come up with a way to post the video, we can discuss it as long as the topic focuses on the rule, not about the officials.
Old 01-20-15, 01:29 PM
All American

Wadz06 is on a distinguished road
Ask the Ref?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
You can just have a JV team made completely of Freshmen. Problem solved.

Not solved. Can an all Freshman Freshman team play sanctioned game against a JV (comprised of Fresh,soph, Jr) team? Does OHSAA sanction this? Same question could a freshman team play a varsity?
Old 01-20-15, 01:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadz06 View Post
Not solved. Can an all Freshman Freshman team play sanctioned game against a JV (comprised of Fresh,soph, Jr) team? Does OHSAA sanction this? Same question could a freshman team play a varsity?
Yes to both. Not sure why a varsity would agree to play a frosh team, but its legal and counts toward their allotment of games played (22) and individual quarters played (110)

Players in grades 7-8 are prohibited from practicing or playing against any player in grade 9 and above.....

Last edited by AllSports12; 01-20-15 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 03:27 PM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road

This is example of a blatant taunt that unfortunately went unpunished.
Old 01-22-15, 04:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post

This is example of a blatant taunt that unfortunately went unpunished.
I have no problem with passing on a potential player control foul as the contact was minimal and not through the defender....

As far as the taunt, you do have to get this one..... He dunks over a player 4-5 inches smaller than he is then taunts him. (bent over at the waist over the top of the defender)
Old 01-23-15, 01:35 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Travel after the catch in the post

I need help with power moves around the basket

#1 Post player catches the ball with two feet (Feet A and B) on the ground outside the block. (I am not sure which one is considered pivot). He then takes a long step with foot A, jumps off that foot and finishes the layup. Foot B never leaves original position until jump for shot and no dribble occured. This is no travel correct?

#2 Now same player, a little farther out but same scenario. He takes a long step with A foot , but then B comes off the ground and back down to gather himself for a two footed layup. No dribble. Travel correct?

Thank you, reading these are great!
Old 01-23-15, 01:57 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
I need help with power moves around the basket

#1 Post player catches the ball with two feet (Feet A and B) on the ground outside the block. (I am not sure which one is considered pivot). He then takes a long step with foot A, jumps off that foot and finishes the layup. Foot B never leaves original position until jump for shot and no dribble occured. This is no travel correct?

#2 Now same player, a little farther out but same scenario. He takes a long step with A foot , but then B comes off the ground and back down to gather himself for a two footed layup. No dribble. Travel correct?

Thank you, reading these are great!
1) When a player catches the ball with both feet on the ground, the one that is first lifted is considered the non-pivot foot. So, in your case, since Foot A was lifted first, Foot B becomes the pivot foot. Since Foot B was not returned to the floor prior to the ball being released on a try for goal, you are correct in saying that there is no violation here.

2) Since Foot B, the pivot foot, was lifted, it may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released. This is a travel, yes.

A little tidbit for our viewers: traveling (NFHS/NCAA) has NOTHING to do with the number of steps taken. It's all about the pivot foot.
Old 01-23-15, 02:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
1) When a player catches the ball with both feet on the ground, the one that is first lifted is considered the non-pivot foot. So, in your case, since Foot A was lifted first, Foot B becomes the pivot foot. Since Foot B was not returned to the floor prior to the ball being released on a try for goal, you are correct in saying that there is no violation here.

2) Since Foot B, the pivot foot, was lifted, it may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released. This is a travel, yes.

A little tidbit for our viewers: traveling (NFHS/NCAA) has NOTHING to do with the number of steps taken. It's all about the pivot foot.
Thank you! The last wrinkle, is there any scenario where a jump stop is legal in this scenario, or do you have to be moving with a dribble and then land on the two feet to get the jump stop?
Old 01-23-15, 03:07 PM
All District

Quote:
Thank you! The last wrinkle, is there any scenario where a jump stop is legal in this scenario, or do you have to be moving with a dribble and then land on the two feet to get the jump stop?
Since both feet are on the floor in this scenario, it would not be legal to jump off the pivot foot and come to a jump stop because that would result in returning the pivot foot to the floor before releasing the ball.

Here's a good look at the traveling rules in high school and some case plays...

http://phillyref.com/basketball/travelrules.html
http://phillyref.com/basketball/travelcases.html
Old 01-24-15, 09:04 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Does anybody know why GCL South Frosh&JV only use 2 Officials?? I sure hope it's not financial.

Last edited by AllSports12; 01-24-15 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-24-15, 09:30 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Does anybody know why GCL South Frosh&JV only use 2 Officials?? I sure hope it's not financial.
It is financial.
Old 01-24-15, 09:52 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
It is financial.
Thanks, that is very sad imo!
Old 01-25-15, 02:57 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I dont think its isolated to just your league, I know many leagues only have 3 at varsity.
Old 01-25-15, 03:12 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
All the games in NEO I have been to this year have 2 refs for JV and 3 for varsity.
Old 01-25-15, 07:55 PM
All District

Quote:
It is sad because having a three-man crew instead of a two-man crew is extremely beneficial. We end up having to guess on a lot of calls/no-calls in two-man.
Old 01-25-15, 08:13 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Alright. So I've seen 12 games this weekend, and this call has been bugging me.

A defensive player is completely stationary trying to take a charge. The offensive player notices and tries to dribble or hop around the defender, clipping the defender's hip in the process. It has been called a "block" 100% of the time.

Does it need to be head-on contact for it to be a charge, regardless of how long and stationary the defender is? I understand in most cases this is called because the defender probably leaned or stuck out his hip. But it's been a "block" in every single instance the last few days.
Old 01-25-15, 09:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
Alright. So I've seen 12 games this weekend, and this call has been bugging me.

A defensive player is completely stationary trying to take a charge. The offensive player notices and tries to dribble or hop around the defender, clipping the defender's hip in the process. It has been called a "block" 100% of the time.

Does it need to be head-on contact for it to be a charge, regardless of how long and stationary the defender is? I understand in most cases this is called because the defender probably leaned or stuck out his hip. But it's been a "block" in every single instance the last few days.
The definition of charging is "illegal personal contact caused by pushing or moving into an opponent’s torso".....

However, there are other provisions in the definition to consider. The first one is exactly the play you describe......

"A player who is moving with the ball is required to stop or change direction
to avoid contact if a defensive player has obtained a legal guarding position
in his/her path."

In short, you have a stationary defender who has established legal guarding position, therefore, the moving player with the ball is responsible for avoiding contact.

Now, that being said, there is no way to tell why all the calls were blocks without seeing video. However, if they all occurred as you describe, the offensive players should have been charged with a player control foul.
Old 02-01-15, 11:47 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Without being there or seeing video there's no way to discuss this.

If you can come up with a way to post the video, we can discuss it as long as the topic focuses on the rule, not about the officials.
On screens. Is a very large base and elbows flared illegal
if the screender does not move and has established position?
Old 02-01-15, 12:10 PM
All World

Quote:
On screens. Is a very large base and elbows flared illegal
if the screener does not move and has established position?
The screener must stay within their vertical plane and have a stance no wider than approximately shoulder width apart.

If contact is made with the stance you describe, the screen would be illegal.
Old 02-02-15, 08:52 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
The screener must stay within their vertical plane and have a stance no wider than approximately shoulder width apart.

If contact is made with the stance you describe, the screen would be illegal.
Great info thank you.
Old 02-02-15, 03:40 PM
Freshman

ktg41 is on a distinguished road
I have a question. I've seen this play twice this year, once at a college game and once in a high school game.

On a breakaway layup the offensive player is fouled from behind by the defender who made no attempt to play the ball. In both cases it was called an intentional foul. The offensive player made the layup.

A) In the college game, the offensive player was awarded 2 foul shots and the ball out of bounds.

B) In the high school game, the offensive player was awarded 1 foul shot and the ball out of bounds.

Which is correct? Or are there two different interpretations since one was a college game and one was a high school game?
Old 02-02-15, 03:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktg41 View Post
I have a question. I've seen this play twice this year, once at a college game and once in a high school game.

On a breakaway layup the offensive player is fouled from behind by the defender who made no attempt to play the ball. In both cases it was called an intentional foul. The offensive player made the layup.

A) In the college game, the offensive player was awarded 2 foul shots and the ball out of bounds.

B) In the high school game, the offensive player was awarded 1 foul shot and the ball out of bounds.

Which is correct? Or are there two different interpretations since one was a college game and one was a high school game?
If in the high school game the foul was reported as intentional, two shots should have been awarded as well as the ball awarded out of bounds to the shooting team regardless the outcome of the shot......
Old 02-02-15, 03:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
If in the high school game the foul was reported as intentional, two shots should have been awarded as well as the ball awarded out of bounds to the shooting team regardless the outcome of the shot......
Same scenario, then kids picks the ball up and punts it into the stands out of frustration. Simply two more free throws?
Old 02-02-15, 05:31 PM
All World

Quote:
Same scenario, then kids picks the ball up and punts it into the stands out of frustration. Simply two more free throws?
Correct.... as the penalty for the technical foul. (I hope)

Followed by the ball out of bounds at the division line. (high school rules)
Old 02-04-15, 11:50 AM
Freshman

ktg41 is on a distinguished road
Sorry, this begs another question.

In the high school game, it was obviously called an intentional foul (referee crossed his arms, cleared the free throw lane for the foul shot). After the free throw, the team was awarded the ball under their basket. Shouldn't they have gotten it at half-court.

Seems that the call was botched in a number of ways?
Old 02-04-15, 01:54 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktg41 View Post
Sorry, this begs another question.

In the high school game, it was obviously called an intentional foul (referee crossed his arms, cleared the free throw lane for the foul shot). After the free throw, the team was awarded the ball under their basket. Shouldn't they have gotten it at half-court.

Seems that the call was botched in a number of ways?
They did not botch this part.

Following an intentional personal foul, the subsequent throw-in is at the spot nearest to where the foul occurred, not (necessarily) at the division line. Technical fouls always put the throw-in at the division line (in high school).
Old 02-12-15, 01:54 PM
All World

BF Pride is on a distinguished road
This may already be posted on here as I am not going to read 5 pages. But, why do they not call carrying the ball anymore? It is so blatant and ridiculous what these (mostly point) get away with.
Old 02-12-15, 04:07 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF Pride View Post
This may already be posted on here as I am not going to read 5 pages. But, why do they not call carrying the ball anymore? It is so blatant and ridiculous what these (mostly point) get away with.
BF,

This thread is intended to ask, answer, and discuss serious questions about rules and mechanics, not complain about judgment calls. That being said, I've called four "carries" this week alone.

Last edited by AllSports12; 02-12-15 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 08:31 AM
All Ohio

Can we get a definition on illegal screen. Is it shoulder width apart and arms not outside the body?

To me the illegal screen is like holding in football. You could point out some violation every possession in the half court. It seems illegal screens on the pick and roll are much more common than screens during other offensive execution.

Some aspects I need clarity:

1) Physical position of the body
2) Space needed to provide the defense
3) any other detail