Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-22-19, 10:55 AM
All District

bgtri11 is on a distinguished road
Enrollment Numbers Posted

The initial enrollment numbers to determine divisions for the next two years were posted this week. The final numbers will be posted on March 22. Will cross country and track stay with 3 divisions next year?

https://ohsaa.org/school-resources/school-enrollment
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-19, 09:05 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Can't get too excited when all the numbers from the major urban districts are still TBD.
Old 02-22-19, 09:18 PM
All District

bgtri11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Can't get too excited when all the numbers from the major urban districts are still TBD.
Definitely! Interesting to start looking at them, but those schools will have an impact in the final divisions. I'm just curious if it's a realistic possibility of moving to 4 divisions in either sport, or if it's just been mostly talk.
Old 02-22-19, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtri11 View Post
Definitely! Interesting to start looking at them, but those schools will have an impact in the final divisions. I'm just curious if it's a realistic possibility of moving to 4 divisions in either sport, or if it's just been mostly talk.
Enrollment numbers wouldn't have any effect on that. That issues pertains to the number of schools offering the respective sports. I don't think nearly enough schools consistently field XC teams to make it a possibility in that sport. The decision to expand the state field to 20 teams per division only reduces the likelihood of a 4th division. Chances of it happening in track seem higher. That said, I have no idea where the 4 division discussion stands between the OATCCC and the OHSAA. I'm sure the OATCCC keeps proposing it, but is the OHSAA becoming more receptive to the idea?

Paging Run4life, ENA2, and perhaps a couple others on here that are far more plugged into the OATCCC's business than yours truly...
Old 02-22-19, 10:29 PM
All Region

billcarson is on a distinguished road
It looks like a couple of small D1 boys xc teams like
Carroll and Defiance might drop back to D2, making it a bit more competitive
this fall.
Old 02-22-19, 11:01 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Mr. Slippery; Paging Run4life, ENA2, and perhaps a couple others on here that are far more plugged into the OATCCC's business than yours truly...[/QUOTE]

I have heard the holdup currently is making a working schedule for a 2 day meet at OSU.
Old 02-23-19, 08:34 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Regardless of numbers, we are going to add divisions to track. CC will stay at 3
Old 02-23-19, 09:28 AM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Quote:
ccrunner609;7261181]Regardless of numbers, we are going to add divisions to track.
That is great news can you give up your source?

Last edited by CC Track Fan; 02-23-19 at 10:04 AM..
Old 02-23-19, 10:08 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarson View Post
It looks like a couple of small D1 boys xc teams like
Carroll and Defiance might drop back to D2, making it a bit more competitive
this fall.
I would say good chance both drop maybe even for track and looks like both girls and boys for Lexington will stay D2 and could even drop to D2 for track. (If 4 division in track clearly all three of these teams be D2).
Old 02-23-19, 12:04 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like Coventry boys are at 285. Assuming that number holds* we should be safe in d2 for cross country. Track, we should be ok as well. Although, if they do end up with 4 divisions, then we will pretty much be in that d2 for good.

*That number may not actually hold. Last cycle, we were initially assesed at around 276. but then our number got bumped up to 296. I think that was because the Portage Lakes Career center kids did not get added till later. I don't know if those kids have been counted yet this time around.
Old 02-23-19, 01:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
That is great news can you give up your source?
OATCCC and OHSAA meetings at the state coaches clinic

Statewide principals and AD's voted at about 80% to add a division. Also OHSAA discussing adding a division to all 3 division sports but CC
Old 02-23-19, 01:14 PM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post

Statewide principals and AD's voted at about 80% to add a division. Also OHSAA discussing adding a division to all 3 division sports but CC
When would a fourth division go into effect?
Old 02-23-19, 06:50 PM
All Region

Quote:

Thanks I can't believe wrestling would be in that discussion they only have 402 teams for team competition and 483 Individual Wrestling two years ago. So that would only leave boys and girls soccer and boys golf.
Old 02-23-19, 09:00 PM
All District

PatHelgerman is on a distinguished road
I count 510 girls CC schools who finished a team at District last year. That's 9 more than the previous count.

Last edited by PatHelgerman; 02-23-19 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: update gender
Old 02-23-19, 09:06 PM
All District

So, when they figure out the new distribution of CC regional qualifiers, do they take into account if teams from the count year are changing divisions. For example, if a d1 team moves down, and a d3 team moves up to d2, giving 2 more teams, do they increase the number of d2 teams in that district? Or, do they go with the straight scoring team count?
Old 02-23-19, 09:35 PM
Varsity

Percidae is on a distinguished road
Granville girls was the smallest D1 team in XC last year. They finished 3rd at the D1 state meet. I see their enrollment is 289 which is quite a drop from last year's 326. I believe they may be loosing only one to graduation. They could be tough to beat if they drop to D2.
Old 02-24-19, 12:19 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percidae View Post
Granville girls was the smallest D1 team in XC last year. They finished 3rd at the D1 state meet. I see their enrollment is 289 which is quite a drop from last year's 326. I believe they may be loosing only one to graduation. They could be tough to beat if they drop to D2.
It looks like Fredericktown and Columbus School for Girls will be moving up from D3 to D2. Central District D2 is getting a little bit more competitive.
Old 02-24-19, 01:06 PM
All World

Tipp boys moving up and Carroll coming back down. Carroll in DII will be a contender
Old 02-25-19, 10:12 AM
Freshman

stew is on a distinguished road
ccrunner609. I was surprised to see Milton Unions numbers so much higher. Also, I noticed West Liberty Salem boys numbers are up. They may be on the bubble between d2 & d3. They have a really good boys team returning in cc.
Old 02-25-19, 11:45 AM
All Yappi

A quick glance at the girls XC numbers coupled with the district data from last fall of which schools scored as teams leads me to believe the girls DII-DIII XC cut-off will be in the ballpark of 156, and girls DI-DII XC will be in the ballpark of 310. This is just for girls, and I'm only working off the enrollment numbers and the teams that finished with 5 in the district results. Somehow, the number of teams in the OHSAA count always seems to deviate by a handful. I included estimated numbers for the few "TBD" schools that scored teams at districts last fall. Most of the urban schools whose numbers are TBD did not score XC teams last fall. I haven't looked at how many boys schools fielded teams yet, and there's a chance that I won't get around to it anytime soon.

I won't take a stab at track for a few reasons: 1) Most of the urban schools whose numbers are "TBD" do field track teams. 2) It's too time consuming to go through the results and identify how many schools met the requirement of having 9 different athletes compete at districts. 3) I'd rather worry about the upcoming season before I worry about which division schools will be in for next year.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 02-26-19 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Thought of another reason
Old 02-26-19, 01:47 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tipp boys moving up and Carroll coming back down. Carroll in DII will be a contender
They sort of take each others place. They had similar teams last year. Carroll is real good up front, but 4 and 5 needs to improve. They don't lose anyone though. I haven't looked at everyone, but Woodridge is going to be very strong the next two seasons or 10.
Old 02-26-19, 07:55 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Woodridge is going to be very strong the next two seasons or 10.
Unless cut off numbers keep falling and they move into D1 with schools 4-5 times their size in another cycle or two. Then they will be top 10 in a great year. This is not intended to be a knock on them. I am trying to show the immediate need to get a forth division so schools with 300-500 students have a level playing field also.
Old 02-26-19, 08:40 AM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
Unless cut off numbers keep falling and they move into D1 with schools 4-5 times their size in another cycle or two. Then they will be top 10 in a great year. This is not intended to be a knock on them. I am trying to show the immediate need to get a forth division so schools with 300-500 students have a level playing field also.
Theres little chance of that. Woodridge is pretty static around 250, and the cutoffs are around 310 give or take? If Woodridge XC moves into d1 in the next decade, the state of Ohio would have to be in major economic distress.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 02-26-19 at 08:57 AM..
Old 02-26-19, 10:40 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Theres little chance of that. Woodridge is pretty static around 250, and the cutoffs are around 310 give or take? If Woodridge XC moves into d1 in the next decade, the state of Ohio would have to be in major economic distress.
D1 was nearly 400 10-12 years ago. Urban schools are losing numbers of students and schools are closing pushing numbers down. At the same time more D3 schools are finishing 5 and small charter and private schools are starting. I counted 24 additional D2 & D3 girls teams finishing 5 than in the last count in 2017. Adding another division should be a priority of every school, not just those currently affected.
Old 02-26-19, 06:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew View Post
ccrunner609. I was surprised to see Milton Unions numbers so much higher. Also, I noticed West Liberty Salem boys numbers are up. They may be on the bubble between d2 & d3. They have a really good boys team returning in cc.
Yes we are really going up and down. 2 years from now I think we drop back to DIII in both.
Old 02-28-19, 12:06 PM
All World

hubman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
Thanks I can't believe wrestling would be in that discussion they only have 402 teams for team competition and 483 Individual Wrestling two years ago. So that would only leave boys and girls soccer and boys golf.
Come on Wrestling wants in on the fun also!!
Old 02-28-19, 03:01 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It is rare for Carroll to not make state when they are D2. I would bet on them taking one of the spots.