Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-29-14, 11:50 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 36,403
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Huber Heights Wayne 29 Moeller 22

What a game in Mason tonight as Wayne came from behind and defeated Moeller 29-22 as Trice connected to Wagner on a 36 yard TD pass with just over a minute left.

Moeller won the toss to open the game and selected to defer so Wayne took the ball going into a strong head wind. Wayne went 3 and out and Moeller took over and was able to move the ball into FG range but the kick missed wide right. Wayne took over again at the 20 but once again could not move it as the Moeller defense stuffed any run game. While Wayne was unable to run it early Moeller was also getting stuffed running it but they were winning the field position game as they took over after a Wayne punt in Warrior territory. This time Coghlin connected on a 45 yard FG giving Moeller a 3-0 lead.

Wayne was able to muster a couple first downs on their next possessions but once again had to punt the ball. The Wayne defense bent once again but did not break stopping Moeller at the 37. With the strong wind at Moe's back they decided to go for a 54 yard FG and Coghlin drilled it with plenty of distance and Moe is up 6-0.

Finally, the quarter comes to an end and Wayne has the wind at their back and it did not take long for them to get it rolling going 80 yards in under 2 minutes capped off by a Kinnel 2 yard run as Wayne took a 7-6 lead. After a couple of change of possessions Moeller was on the move again inside the 10 but the Wayne defense came up big and Moe had to settle for a 25 yard FG to go up 9-7. Well, it only took Wayne less than 40 seconds to answer as Trice connected with Wilcox on a 54 yard TD pass and it was 14-9 Wayne. After another FG by Moeller late in the 2nd this time from 29 yards cutting Wayne's lead to 14-12 at the half.

Moeller started out with the ball in the 3rd quarter and started doing what they could not do in the first and that is run the ball. Hughes started breaking off big runs as it started to look like Moeller was going to have their way against Wayne. The problem though remained as no matter how well moved the ball they could not punch it in and this drive also stalled and once again another FG this time form 34 yards and Moe is up 15-14. Wayne was still unable to run the ball and went 3 and out. This time when Moe moved it they eventually made it into the end zone as Hughes got in from 4 yards out and it was 22-14 Moe....

The clock could not run fast enough for Wayne to get out of the 3rd so they had to do something about it and they did when Wilcox broke of a long run on a shuffle pass that got them deep into Moe's territory. With some momentum on Wayne's side now that play sparked the offense as Trice found Wilcox in the end zone for a 12 yard TD pass. Trice then hit Wagner for the 2 point conversion and we are tied at 22 heading into the 4th quarter.

Wayne's defense really came to life in the 4th stopping Moe on 3 and out but the Moe defense also came to life and we have a defensive struggle in the 4th. Wayne had the advantage with the wind but Moe had the advantage with the kicker that can hit from 50+ yards regardless of the wind. Moe took the first crack at it as the FG unit came into the game but the 44 yard attempt was nearly blocked and went wide left. Wayne started moving the ball and then a reverse sent the crowd into a frenzy as Wilcox took it the distance on a huge run.... but wait..... there is a hanky on field.... holding against Wayne.... There was just over 5 minutes to go in the game and Wayne is a fast strike offense and I am not sure if they are capable of using up time on a drive but they did a pretty decent job as they managed a couple of first downs to get to Moe's 36 with just over 1:30 left. Trice went back faked the hand off and let it rip threw the air. We all saw Wagner streaking down the sideline and he had a few steps on the defender. Wagner dropped a sure TD pass in the first half but he wasn't going to let this one dropped as it landed perfectly in his hands and into the end zone for a go ahead lead. The Wayne side was once again in a frenzy but still nervous as there was still plenty of time for Moe to make on more run.

Moe started on the 20 and it did not take long for Crable to move the Crusaders down the field hitting receivers as the DB's were playing back and before you know it Moe was on Wayne's 25. Wayne sent the house at Crable and sacked him causing a fumble but Moe recovered. Crable's 2nd down pass was almost picked and on 3rd and long Crable's pass got intercepted by Wayne's Carpenter who returned it to midfield to seal the game.

Wayne 29 Moeller 22 in another great playoff game by Wayne and Moeller.... Wayne will move on to play St. Edward for the state championship game. St. Ed's defeated Wayne 42-35 in the 2010 state title game....

I'll edit in stats later.....

GO WAYNE!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-29-14, 11:57 PM
tkennaley tkennaley is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-24-14
Posts: 40
tkennaley is on a distinguished road
Awesome game recap. Again it was Huber Height Wayne Warrior that proved to be the better team tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-14, 12:02 AM
User13 User13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-23-01
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 3,621
User13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I'll edit in stats later.....
Slacker

Stats here:

http://www.gwocsports.com/fbGameStat...?gameid=204835

Congrats to Wayne on a huge win!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-14, 12:41 AM
Crimson DS Crimson DS is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-19-13
Posts: 75
Crimson DS is on a distinguished road
What a game! Really proud of the way the Warriors battled tonight. It looked like the Moeller defensive line was going to control the game after the first few drives, but Wayne was able to hang in there to give themselves a chance to win.

And holy cow, Moeller's kicker, Coghlin, is incredible! Never been a big fan of spotting the ball on the 20 after a missed field goal. Obviously I don't blame Moeller for taking advantage of it though. I actually wonder if the increased incentives for longer field goals (you have the safety cushion that it's effectively a short punt if you miss) hurt Moeller tonight, as they settled for 3 a few times when they otherwise might have gone for it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-14, 08:37 AM
Looseball Looseball is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-16-14
Posts: 345
Looseball is on a distinguished road
Congratulations Warriors! Best of luck next week. Bring home Dayton's first big school State Title!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-30-14, 09:11 AM
gocards's Avatar
gocards gocards is offline
This is the year
 
Join Date: 08-31-03
Location: Support the NW Schools
Posts: 15,739
gocards is on a distinguished road
Huge credit to the Wayne offensive line for providing protection of the QB without a real running threat. They kept him clean all day.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-30-14, 09:23 AM
Kyle_E_Woyote's Avatar
Kyle_E_Woyote Kyle_E_Woyote is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-01-08
Location: Seattle & Irvine, CA
Posts: 7,766
Kyle_E_Woyote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
Huge credit to the Wayne offensive line for providing protection of the QB without a real running threat. They kept him clean all day.
Wayne has the bearded bowling ball.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-30-14, 09:36 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 25,110
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
Huge credit to the Wayne offensive line for providing protection of the QB without a real running threat. They kept him clean all day.
They did but I would also credit #34 on Wayne. He may not have had a lot of carries but he absolutely blew up Moeller's blitz package. The kid had some nice blitz pick-ups.

BTW, Wayne's running game appears to be the short pass to #1!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-30-14, 11:56 AM
Yankeefan33 Yankeefan33 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-23-12
Posts: 2,730
Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson DS View Post
What a game! Really proud of the way the Warriors battled tonight. It looked like the Moeller defensive line was going to control the game after the first few drives, but Wayne was able to hang in there to give themselves a chance to win.

And holy cow, Moeller's kicker, Coghlin, is incredible! Never been a big fan of spotting the ball on the 20 after a missed field goal. Obviously I don't blame Moeller for taking advantage of it though. I actually wonder if the increased incentives for longer field goals (you have the safety cushion that it's effectively a short punt if you miss) hurt Moeller tonight, as they settled for 3 a few times when they otherwise might have gone for it.
They've been doing this strategy most of the year. That's why when it shows up that Coghlin was 17-27 on field goals it might look bad, but I'd bet those 10 misses were all at least 40 yards or more (with 2/3 from 50+) and it just served as a pseudo-punt.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-30-14, 12:51 PM
wayne60 wayne60 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-13-10
Location: BEATING THE elks ON ESPN
Posts: 486
wayne60 is on a distinguished road
Way to go WAYNE !! Best game I have seen in a long time. Now lets bring home the CHAMPIONSHIP !!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-30-14, 03:06 PM
NfamousWayneFan NfamousWayneFan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-06
Location: Huber Heights
Posts: 2,381
NfamousWayneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NfamousWayneFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
They've been doing this strategy most of the year. That's why when it shows up that Coghlin was 17-27 on field goals it might look bad, but I'd bet those 10 misses were all at least 40 yards or more (with 2/3 from 50+) and it just served as a pseudo-punt.
I wonder if they would have punt the ball more often if it was spotted at where the FG attempt was at and not at the 20.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-30-14, 05:00 PM
Crimson DS Crimson DS is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-19-13
Posts: 75
Crimson DS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NfamousWayneFan View Post
I wonder if they would have punt the ball more often if it was spotted at where the FG attempt was at and not at the 20.
Sure, of course. Longer field goals would become inherently riskier and attempted less frequently. We'd see both more punts and more going for it on 4th down. It would change the whole dynamic of how you manage your offense between the opposing 40 and 20 yardlines.

In any case, Coghlin's got a bright future ahead of him and I wish him an injury free senior year. With Moeller returning both Coghlin and sophomore Hunter Hughes, not really looking forward to Week 3 (or is it 2?) next season. But why look ahead at this point?

Couldn't be more proud of this Wayne team and how they've come together as a team to advance all the way to Columbus.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-30-14, 07:06 PM
WrestlingIsMyLife WrestlingIsMyLife is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-28-13
Posts: 150
WrestlingIsMyLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson DS View Post
Sure, of course. Longer field goals would become inherently riskier and attempted less frequently. We'd see both more punts and more going for it on 4th down. It would change the whole dynamic of how you manage your offense between the opposing 40 and 20 yardlines.

In any case, Coghlin's got a bright future ahead of him and I wish him an injury free senior year. With Moeller returning both Coghlin and sophomore Hunter Hughes, not really looking forward to Week 3 (or is it 2?) next season. But why look ahead at this point?

Couldn't be more proud of this Wayne team and how they've come together as a team to advance all the way to Columbus.
You guys have a good one coming back also in #6. He's only a sophomore also
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-02-14, 06:40 PM
PVKS66208 PVKS66208 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-02-12
Posts: 144
PVKS66208 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
What a game in Mason tonight as Wayne came from behind and defeated Moeller 29-22 as Trice connected to Wagner on a 36 yard TD pass with just over a minute left.

Moeller won the toss to open the game and selected to defer so Wayne took the ball going into a strong head wind. Wayne went 3 and out and Moeller took over and was able to move the ball into FG range but the kick missed wide right. Wayne took over again at the 20 but once again could not move it as the Moeller defense stuffed any run game. While Wayne was unable to run it early Moeller was also getting stuffed running it but they were winning the field position game as they took over after a Wayne punt in Warrior territory. This time Coghlin connected on a 45 yard FG giving Moeller a 3-0 lead.

Wayne was able to muster a couple first downs on their next possessions but once again had to punt the ball. The Wayne defense bent once again but did not break stopping Moeller at the 37. With the strong wind at Moe's back they decided to go for a 54 yard FG and Coghlin drilled it with plenty of distance and Moe is up 6-0.

Finally, the quarter comes to an end and Wayne has the wind at their back and it did not take long for them to get it rolling going 80 yards in under 2 minutes capped off by a Kinnel 2 yard run as Wayne took a 7-6 lead. After a couple of change of possessions Moeller was on the move again inside the 10 but the Wayne defense came up big and Moe had to settle for a 25 yard FG to go up 9-7. Well, it only took Wayne less than 40 seconds to answer as Trice connected with Wilcox on a 54 yard TD pass and it was 14-9 Wayne. After another FG by Moeller late in the 2nd this time from 29 yards cutting Wayne's lead to 14-12 at the half.

Moeller started out with the ball in the 3rd quarter and started doing what they could not do in the first and that is run the ball. Hughes started breaking off big runs as it started to look like Moeller was going to have their way against Wayne. The problem though remained as no matter how well moved the ball they could not punch it in and this drive also stalled and once again another FG this time form 34 yards and Moe is up 15-14. Wayne was still unable to run the ball and went 3 and out. This time when Moe moved it they eventually made it into the end zone as Hughes got in from 4 yards out and it was 22-14 Moe....

The clock could not run fast enough for Wayne to get out of the 3rd so they had to do something about it and they did when Wilcox broke of a long run on a shuffle pass that got them deep into Moe's territory. With some momentum on Wayne's side now that play sparked the offense as Trice found Wilcox in the end zone for a 12 yard TD pass. Trice then hit Wagner for the 2 point conversion and we are tied at 22 heading into the 4th quarter.

Wayne's defense really came to life in the 4th stopping Moe on 3 and out but the Moe defense also came to life and we have a defensive struggle in the 4th. Wayne had the advantage with the wind but Moe had the advantage with the kicker that can hit from 50+ yards regardless of the wind. Moe took the first crack at it as the FG unit came into the game but the 44 yard attempt was nearly blocked and went wide left. Wayne started moving the ball and then a reverse sent the crowd into a frenzy as Wilcox took it the distance on a huge run.... but wait..... there is a hanky on field.... holding against Wayne.... There was just over 5 minutes to go in the game and Wayne is a fast strike offense and I am not sure if they are capable of using up time on a drive but they did a pretty decent job as they managed a couple of first downs to get to Moe's 36 with just over 1:30 left. Trice went back faked the hand off and let it rip threw the air. We all saw Wagner streaking down the sideline and he had a few steps on the defender. Wagner dropped a sure TD pass in the first half but he wasn't going to let this one dropped as it landed perfectly in his hands and into the end zone for a go ahead lead. The Wayne side was once again in a frenzy but still nervous as there was still plenty of time for Moe to make on more run.

Moe started on the 20 and it did not take long for Crable to move the Crusaders down the field hitting receivers as the DB's were playing back and before you know it Moe was on Wayne's 25. Wayne sent the house at Crable and sacked him causing a fumble but Moe recovered. Crable's 2nd down pass was almost picked and on 3rd and long Crable's pass got intercepted by Wayne's Carpenter who returned it to midfield to seal the game.

Wayne 29 Moeller 22 in another great playoff game by Wayne and Moeller.... Wayne will move on to play St. Edward for the state championship game. St. Ed's defeated Wayne 42-35 in the 2010 state title game....

I'll edit in stats later.....

GO WAYNE!!!!!
Good recap but Moeller's last FG attempt(into the wind) was good from 43 but a motion penalty negated it and the kicker subsequently missed the try from 48.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-03-14, 05:29 PM
bluengoldblinders bluengoldblinders is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-17-13
Posts: 721
bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Wayne, best wishes this weekend!

See ya next year in week 3.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz