Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-01-18, 10:41 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
It is a major undertaking to get done on short notice when you have a 5 hour drive.
Five hour drive from where? Union, Kentucky? Wait, I don't think that's even a five hour drive. Unless, you're taking a horse and buggy, Milton-Union to Spire is four hours at most.

That being said, you're going to the snow belt and I believe that between 13" & 15" of snow are forecasted for tomorrow. Consider yourself lucky, though. I've been in the Hunting Valley area near Spire all day today and we've had inches of rain. If all of that had been snow there would be no meet this weekend. As it is, I predict that there will be no-shows from the southern part of the state that are hesitant to drive in it. Get out your sleds, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-18, 10:57 PM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
Five hour drive from where? Union, Kentucky? Wait, I don't think that's even a five hour drive. Unless, you're taking a horse and buggy, Milton-Union to Spire is four hours at most.

That being said, you're going to the snow belt and I believe that between 13" & 15" of snow are forecasted for tomorrow. Consider yourself lucky, though. I've been in the Hunting Valley area near Spire all day today and we've had inches of rain. If all of that had been snow there would be no meet this weekend. As it is, I predict that there will be no-shows from the southern part of the state that are hesitant to drive in it. Get out your sleds, everyone!
It is 4:30 from milton Union by car and would be close to 5 by bus.
It is 1:30 from akron to spire and it takes us 3 hours to get to akron from springfield. Everyone has to remember we have to go east before we can go north unless you are in cincinnati or columbus it is not a straight shot for us to go there.
Old 03-02-18, 07:21 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post

its snowing there now. how much snow is on the ground? Can someone give updates on road conditions?
Old 03-02-18, 07:59 AM
All American

Quote:
its snowing there now. how much snow is on the ground? Can someone give updates on road conditions?
I'm still up here visiting with family while on business. It doesn't look like there was as much snow as I expected. I would say that there's probably close to 10" on the ground where I am in Hunting Valley. It's hard to tell because there was a bit of wind that blew stuff around. Up closer to Geneva, where Spire is, there's probably a bit more since it's closer to the lake. It's still snowing, heavily every now and then, but I don't think a lot more snow is forecasted for today - maybe 2 to 5". I wouldn't anticipate that the roads are bad, though. Road crews tend to be a lot more proactive up here vs in the southern half of Ohio. I'm going to be driving downtown soon and I'll post road conditions if I remember or have time.

This snow thing is another variable that may not have been thought of when switching from Akron. Akron is just outside of the snow belt. Geneva to Buffalo is the buckle of the snow belt. On a given day there may be 3 to 5" in Akron while there's 20" in Geneva. I wouldn't worry about coming, though. The roads should be fine.
Old 03-02-18, 08:04 AM
All Region

gatornation is on a distinguished road
Forecast from Northeast Ohio: We did get snow but it has subsided. My wife just got home from work and said the roads are fine. The forecast is for no more snow. Tomorrow will be sunny and 34. Everyone will make it up here just fine.
Old 03-02-18, 08:16 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatornation View Post
Forecast from Northeast Ohio: We did get snow but it has subsided. My wife just got home from work and said the roads are fine. The forecast is for no more snow. Tomorrow will be sunny and 34. Everyone will make it up here just fine.
Unless you are driving there today?
Old 03-02-18, 08:46 AM
All American

Quote:
Unless you are driving there today?
I still think you'll be fine if going today. The snow is going to slow down and already has for the most part. The weather is weird up here with little pockets getting more snow than a neighboring area. Areas just a few miles apart can get big differences in snowfall but even so, you'll be good. As I mentioned before, road crews are on top if things up here
Old 03-02-18, 08:55 AM
All World

Ok......keep us updated on how I90 is today if possible
Old 03-02-18, 11:04 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Expect about 50mph right now. It will clear up and be fine by rush hour traffic. It's been warm, so the roadways are melting fast. No problems at this point.
Old 03-02-18, 11:10 AM
All American

Roads are fine. Everyone should be good. I was on Mayfield Road/322 on way to University Circle area. 90 is on the lake but it will be fine and you should have no worries.
Old 03-02-18, 11:19 AM
All World

thanks guys.......helps alot when you have a 4 hour drive and you are in charge of other people kids.

Psycho......you gonna be there?
Old 03-02-18, 02:06 PM
All World

Heck no. Couldn't pay me enough to make that drive.

I'm actually going to try, but I have a family matter to take care of, so I might not be able to.
Old 03-02-18, 03:34 PM
Freshman

Gwfrick21 is on a distinguished road
OATCCC related..anybody know what they do for the Awards Ceremony? Is it just Team Awards or for every event? If so, Top 8? Top 3? All? What's the deal here? Haven't heard anything regarding the matter.
Old 03-02-18, 03:38 PM
All District

badger1 is on a distinguished road
Actually, Chardon is the epicenter of Ohio's snow belt. The snow depth for any given event and location in the snow belt varies greatly depending on wind direction and many other variables.

For those traveling to the meet, at 3:30pm on Friday it's 34 degrees and it's been sunny for the last several hours on the north coast. Roads were plowed in spectacular fashion and were just wet for the morning rush. Now the roads are dry. Easy peasy.

Safe travels, everyone!
Old 03-02-18, 05:51 PM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwfrick21 View Post
OATCCC related..anybody know what they do for the Awards Ceremony? Is it just Team Awards or for every event? If so, Top 8? Top 3? All? What's the deal here? Haven't heard anything regarding the matter.
@Akron the last 10+ years

Directly after each event top 8 were recognized on podium with medals.

After the 4x400 they did the team awards. Same as OHSAA
2 teams. State Champ and State Runner-up.
Old 03-02-18, 09:16 PM
All World

Roads were easy. Dry all the way. 3:45 drive time. Ouch.
Old 03-04-18, 09:37 AM
All American

For anyone at the meet yesterday, how did it go in terms of the different venue, organization, timing, etc? Pros/cons of Spire vs Stile Fieldhouse?
Old 03-04-18, 09:53 AM
All World

Facility: A+
Location (40 miles east of Cleveland, with nothing around it)D-
Organization: A+
Meet schedule: B+
Parking: F (gravel lots????? really?)

Its also amazing a track meet can be ran and enjoyed without 400 officials standing around. OHSAA PAY ATTENTION TO HOW THIS IS DONE.
Old 03-04-18, 12:22 PM
Varsity

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
The Facility is TOP NOTCH... better than Akron. There were a couple hicups with the DII/III meet, but overall it was on par with Akron
#1 - in heat 3 of the girls 4 x 200 relay,the leadoff leg in lane 8 ran in lane 7 all the way aroung the turn (by the poll vault end) and there were no officials there to see it.
#2 - the first flight of the boys shot put were all mismeasured due to the calibration of the laser. Most were 2-3 feet further than they actually threw. they had to throw again... a few did not even go back to throw.
#3 - they ran the slow heat first in the 4 x 800 relays and the first heet of girls were not in the results. The winner of the 1st heat should have been 8th overall as they ran about 10:32. I hope those kids get their awards.
#4 - still a lot of scratches, open lanes, ie. spots that were unfilled. Maybe par for the course as doubles and injuries are beeter to error on the side of caution this time of year, but still nice for more kids to get the chance it competed here IMO.

All of these could have happened at Akron (or anywhere), but all should not have happened anywhere.
These are just some things I noticed, I'm sure I missed a lot.
It was a good meet, a great chance for the kids.
Old 03-04-18, 05:40 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
They need to figure out a better way to get people into the meet. Having spectators, coaches and athletes all going in one entrance lead to a lot of headaches. I spent over an hour and a half in the lobby waiting for kids (we do not get buses for indoor) to arrive and give them their wrist bands. At Akron they could come into the auxiliary room for team camps and we could much more easily get to them. Cell service was really bad, and there were many unsent or unreceived texts, which exacerbated the access problem. As far as competing and watching the facility was great.

There were many great performances. I only saw the D1 meet (see above comments about access). The boys (Orange) and girls (Davidson) 4x800s were really fast. The Orange v. Wadsworth duel was great to watch. Both meet records. I believe the boys were #2 all time for Ohio and not sure about the girls. Shoaf's 61'+ toss in the boys shot was fantastic. Horter's 4:07 mile was great. Wood's 54.90 was a dominating race in the girls 400. (Coupled with her 24.75 200 she had one of the best doubles of the day.) The girls 200 had five girls under 25. Steiner's 7.36 in the 60 was another record. Daes and Martinez going 1-2 for Gahanna in the girls 800 in another great race was key to their team win. The boys 3200 was super exciting, with five guys running around 4:39-4:40 for the first mile, then the pack thinning to four, then three, then two. Andy Payne ran a great race to take the win. The girls 1600 was a tight, super exciting race as well, with the top three less than a second apart. This was not meant to be a comprehensive list. I actually had to do a lot of coaching, so I missed a bunch of races.
Old 03-04-18, 06:24 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
I am sure the coaches in control of the OATCCC would welcome sugestions for making this meet better, and several items have already been mulled for next year if the meet comes back to this facility, I will say it is not in stone that it will return there as both the meet management and the Spire officials will be getting together soon to check this out.

The issues of registration is a one thing that is being looked at definiely. Origionally it was thought that team registration packets would be available on Friday for those that were there for the run-throughs, but didn't have passes from Spire ready at that time, plus a couple other items that will be taken care of in the future.

Due to the passing of our Registrations spouse lat in the week there were some changes needed which I am sure you can understand. (Prayers and thoughts to Donna Joseph and family as they make it through this tough time).

I personally think that due to the number of items coming all at once the management did a tremendous job making this meet successful. Hats off to Jeff Sheets, Meet Manager, Zac Holland, Ed Lidderdale, Diane Krumpak, Julie Cole, Wayne Clark, Dugan Hill (and family), Jim Eperly, Doug Joy and his right arm, Sam Lehman, Neal Charske, Bob Karl and any I apologize missing for your efforts on behalf of the indoor athletes for the state of Ohio.

It is easy to Monday Quarterback when you have no iron in the fire, but I assure you, these mentioned all want this event to be the best competition and best run championship in Ohio, but all indoor.

1. The venue is top notch, I cannot think of any better available.
2. The parking issue-as much building being competeed there makes me think it is better to keep it gravel until they know where changes will end up to keep from asphalting and tearing out down the road. The lots were easier to get to than Akron's and much larger.
3. Seating. Wow, more than double what we hade in Akron for track events. I think they need to give some more thought for pole vault and long jump venue seating, but I have no suggestions. The coaching area for LJ/TJ and HJ was tight but workable.
4. I missed the jumbotron video at Akron following the races, I liked the event panels for LJ/TJ and Shot and Weight competitors. It would have been nice to have the screens in the team camp room on to watch races as they unfolded, maybe next year.

If we do go back to Spire next March, I am sure the meet will run smooth, lets pray for great weather.
Old 03-04-18, 09:02 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
It would be nice if there were a centrally located venue. But there really isn't. The parents who had experience at Akron liked the seating at Spire much better. I think the hassles with getting kids in can be figured out. That is probably mostly a problem with the size of the meet. While there was some congestion, the parking is not bad compared to Akron.
Old 03-04-18, 09:31 PM
All World

24 is too many participants and going to 40th on the performance list is much too far down.

8 lane track 16 participants per event. 10 lane track, 20 max participants.

I do not think that 12 min 3200 meter runners belong in the state championship meet. I especially don't think 12:30 3200 meter runners are of state championship quality. That's not even dual meet scoring quality.

I will say, my opinion on that is different when you have a District, Regional qualifying format. With that, you just do what you have to to get through. So if you can manage to run a 12:30 and finish 4th in your Region. More power to you.
Old 03-04-18, 09:45 PM
All World

Psycho you have to remember thAt this is winter. Also alot of those times were on or in congested 200 meter tracks.
Old 03-04-18, 10:47 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
The meet is what it is. To me it's not a state championship, but it is a great opportunity for our best athletes to compete against one another. I don't think most athletes' training is geared to peak for this meet and that's perfectly ok.

I think this meet can serve several very important purposes each of which may only be importat to a small fraction of those competing. That's ok, too.

Some talented novices will leave the meet motivated by what they saw, inspired to achieve more than their goals before the meet.

Some accomplished athletes will leave awakened that others had worked harder and/or smarter than them since they last competed.

Some will leave with a sense of validation that their training is on the right track.

Some will leave focused on beating those in front of them when they meet again in June.

It's all good as long as it fits in with the athletes' overall training plan.

Is there a reason to limit this to just 16? I don't think so, but there has to be a limit on the number of entrants to keep the length of the meet manageable. I think 24 was fine at the Spire facility which has 8 lanes on the curve and 10 on the straight.