Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 12-20-17, 12:12 PM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,909
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
And that Iowa beat-down is unforgivable. Never, ever should have happened. Better show against USC to get back some mojo heading into 2018.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #122  
Old 12-20-17, 01:01 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 7,420
Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Carman picks Clemson. I had wondered this whole time why the experts all expected him to choose OSU.
In general, most recruiting services think all 4/5* Ohio kids will end up at OSU. Just looking at some kids in the class of '19, about every Ohio kid is picked to end up at OSU.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 12-20-17, 01:38 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 3,137
WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I know, but it was just dumb in his case. Every public comment/interview he had really indicated he was not leaning toward OSU.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 12-20-17, 01:38 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,761
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sure Urban is thrilled with this: https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ive-recruiting
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 12-20-17, 01:41 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 3,137
WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
In brighter news, OSU did flip 4* WR Cameron Brown, teammate of commit Kamryn Babb.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 12-20-17, 02:49 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,067
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
How stupid are Herbstriet and George? Or am I just reading that situation wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 12-20-17, 02:52 PM
zeeman zeeman is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-11
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 6,259
zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I'm sure Urban is thrilled with this: https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ive-recruiting
Trust me when I tell you, tOSU is better off
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 12-20-17, 06:48 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 7,420
Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I'm sure Urban is thrilled with this: https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ive-recruiting
This goes on all the time, with every major coach (including Urban) during recruiting battles. Carman erred in making it public.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 12-20-17, 07:02 PM
domi domi is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-06-16
Posts: 972
domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
How stupid are Herbstriet and George? Or am I just reading that situation wrong?
Blame coach Terwilliger for parading Parsons around them. As soon as he introduced all of them Herbie and George were in a no win situation with the rules.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 12-20-17, 09:15 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 3,137
WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Georgia has taken over the top spot, and that’s before Woodbey officially flips to FSU.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 12-20-17, 10:01 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 7,420
Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I was thinking... Is there any rule that prevents kids from getting paid by these National Recruiting experts for inside info? They're not affiliated with the schools, or the NCAA. I'm sure there's something in place that prevents this, but interesting thought.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 12-21-17, 07:16 AM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 3,137
WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I was kind of wondering something similar yesterday, PBoy. How do these guys all find out a couple hours ahead of time which school the kid is going to pick?
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 12-21-17, 07:59 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,062
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
A disappointing last month or so, but still a great class with a chance at Rasheed Walker, Tyreke Smith and probably a couple names that haven't been talked about much yet.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 12-21-17, 09:55 AM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,909
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
A disappointing last month or so, but still a great class with a chance at Rasheed Walker, Tyreke Smith and probably a couple names that haven't been talked about much yet.
If they can pull in Walker and/or Petite-Frere and Tyreke Smith and/or Oweh, it would take the class back up to awesome.

I just pray that Urban allows Wilson to design the offense around Haskins strengths, and does not force him into the read option like he tried to do with Cardale. For some reason, itís never clicked in Urbanís brain that the best the offense has ever looked during his time at OSU was during the three game bonanza with Cardale running a basic pro style attack that culminated in a natty.

Unfortunately, with Martell there Urban will not scrap the Tebow offense and will probably ruin Haskins and then insert Martell to be the new Tebow/Braxton/JT.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 12-21-17, 10:52 AM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,578
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
I just pray that Urban allows Wilson to design the offense around Haskins strengths, and does not force him into the read option like he tried to do with Cardale. For some reason, itís never clicked in Urbanís brain that the best the offense has ever looked during his time at OSU was during the three game bonanza with Cardale running a basic pro style attack that culminated in a natty.

Unfortunately, with Martell there Urban will not scrap the Tebow offense and will probably ruin Haskins and then insert Martell to be the new Tebow/Braxton/JT.
I'm kind of pessimistic in this regard too. Hope we are wrong
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 12-21-17, 11:29 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,338
Auggie is on a distinguished road
It will be interesting to see how Urban plays out this dust up with Dabo. Some national guys that are not fans of his are all giddy about him losing a lot of flips at the end of the early signing process and see this as possibly the beginning of the end for his dominance on the national recruiting trail. Next year will be a big transition year for tOSU and Urban on and off the field.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 12-21-17, 11:45 AM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,909
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
It will be interesting to see how Urban plays out this dust up with Dabo. Some national guys that are not fans of his are all giddy about him losing a lot of flips at the end of the early signing process and see this as possibly the beginning of the end for his dominance on the national recruiting trail. Next year will be a big transition year for tOSU and Urban on and off the field.
He still might finish with the top class. I have no problem not getting Jones or Carman, as long as they can bring in one of the remaining elite OT’s. They look the part, while Carman looks like a sloppy fatazz. I can live with losing out on Woodbey, because he always seemed a long shot. It’s not landing either Cox or Parsons, or both, that stung. They must at least get Smith at DE, and if they also pull off Oweh or Friday too...the class will be back to awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 12-21-17, 11:52 AM
The Dock The Dock is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-05-10
Location: FC 3-0 #GranvillePike
Posts: 1,330
The Dock is on a distinguished road
Carman could be the next Orlando Pace, but he could also be a kid whose big mouth stands in the way of a meaningful college and pro career.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 12-21-17, 12:03 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,338
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Carman could be the next Orlando Pace, but he could also be a kid whose big mouth stands in the way of a meaningful college and pro career.
If this was the '90s Jackson could have this type of body at OT and be at an Orlando Pace type level>


But in the late 2010s read-option package Dabo runs do you honestly believe he could block this type of DE alone on the edge?


OT might be the toughest position to project to the next level in all of football. Could be wrong but I really could see Carman moving inside and being a decent Guard but a high level OT? Unless he gets more athletic that may be a stretch.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 12-21-17, 12:21 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,062
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
If they can pull in Walker and/or Petite-Frere and Tyreke Smith and/or Oweh, it would take the class back up to awesome.

I just pray that Urban allows Wilson to design the offense around Haskins strengths, and does not force him into the read option like he tried to do with Cardale. For some reason, itís never clicked in Urbanís brain that the best the offense has ever looked during his time at OSU was during the three game bonanza with Cardale running a basic pro style attack that culminated in a natty.

Unfortunately, with Martell there Urban will not scrap the Tebow offense and will probably ruin Haskins and then insert Martell to be the new Tebow/Braxton/JT.
Apparently the Buckeyes have moved in the lead with Smith, pulled even with Oweh and look good with Friday should either (or both) of those two go to PSU. Hopefully with losing out on Carman that bolsters OSU's pitch with any of Walker, PF and the other OT they are after. Can't think of his name but he's the longest shot of all.

Agreed with you and Bluth. Since Meyer seems too stubborn to totally change his offense, asking him to totally scrap it and let Wilson have free reign seems like a nonstarter. So I'm hoping he runs something more like he did with Leak/Tebow where it's a more pro/pass first offense with Haskins for the first 80 yards and incorporates special red zone packages with Tate.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 12-21-17, 02:45 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 7,420
Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
I was kind of wondering something similar yesterday, PBoy. How do these guys all find out a couple hours ahead of time which school the kid is going to pick?
If you're a top recruit and have a wide open recruitment, you could tip one or two of these guys off a week or so in advance of your "big" decisions, which usually are usually the following: cutting the list of choices to 8-10 schools, then to 3-4 where you take your OVs, and finally your selection. I bet a savvy recruit could squeeze a few grand out of these guys over the course of a 1.5-2 years.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 12-22-17, 03:06 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 3,137
WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Trevon Grimes transfers to Florida. Seems like he just got home sick or something when he left the team mid-year.

Dan Mullen is on a roll.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 12-22-17, 03:14 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,578
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
If I'm a receiver I don't think I'd want to be on an Urban Meyer team
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 12-22-17, 03:18 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 3,137
WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I’d feel the same way. I think it’s starting to show. Important year for Urban and the OSU offense next year.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 12-22-17, 04:29 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,761
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cabe won't send his home schooled kid to play QB for Meyer, and now Bluth won't play receiver for him. OSU might be in trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 12-22-17, 04:33 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: Sidney (Not Australia)
Posts: 31,178
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Trevon Grimes transfers to Florida. Seems like he just got home sick or something when he left the team mid-year.

Dan Mullen is on a roll.
I read his mom has health issues.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 12-25-17, 06:51 AM
IronEagle82 IronEagle82 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-17-07
Posts: 420
IronEagle82 is on a distinguished road
Grimes left at the midpoint of this season to be with his ill mother. His switching to a school closer to home is no surprise.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 12-26-17, 08:40 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,769
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
If I'm a receiver I don't think I'd want to be on an Urban Meyer team
Mike Thomas has 98 receptions for over 1150 yds. for the Saints this year. Thomas played for Urban Meyer.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 12-26-17, 11:13 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 35,233
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Amari Cooper played for Nick Saban but that doesn’t mean Alabama is a particularly great place to hone one’s WR skills. Big time programs attract big time talent and sometimes the talent shows up in spite of the inherent weaknesses of the coaching staff and scheme. Percy Harvin would be another Meyer example.

If I’m a blue chip WR and I had the choice between Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma, OSU would easily be #3 because the system there treats WRs as complimentary to a read-option running game. On the other hand, of I’m a big time RB or a mobile QB, I’m praying everyday OSU gives me a call.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 12-27-17, 08:07 AM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,909
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Mike Thomas has 98 receptions for over 1150 yds. for the Saints this year. Thomas played for Urban Meyer.
Thomas also biatched that he was underused at OSU, and he was right.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Claymont D-2 District Rankings McClearn7 Wrestling 8 10-21-16 09:08 AM
Wilmington D-2 District Rankings McClearn7 Wrestling 9 10-18-16 12:48 PM
Alliance D-2 District Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 7 12-02-15 05:45 PM
Troy D-3 District Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 3 12-01-15 01:09 AM
Heath D-2 district preview 2014-2015 McClearn7 Wrestling 17 11-03-14 09:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz