Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-14-17, 06:00 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Also, how much does open enrollment affect the Stark County privates. I know up here in Akron, a substantial portion of south Akron students OE in Coventry, such that a full half of the high school is comprised of these students. That certainly affects the number of students Hoban and SVSM draw from Firestone Park and Kenmore. Is there anything like that going on in Stark county?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 06-14-17 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 09:14 AM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
How much does non-denominational schools like Lake Center Christian affect enrollment at STA or CCC?

I do not think Lake Center Christian has any meaningful affect on STA or CCC. Neither school is losing any Catholic kids to LCC.
Old 06-15-17, 09:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Also, how much does open enrollment affect the Stark County privates. I know up here in Akron, a substantial portion of south Akron students OE in Coventry, such that a full half of the high school is comprised of these students. That certainly affects the number of students Hoban and SVSM draw from Firestone Park and Kenmore. Is there anything like that going on in Stark county?

Open enrollment likely does have more of an affect though that issue does not seem to affect Hoban and St. V. in that both their enrollments have increased significantly over the last 10-15 years (Hoban is getting close to 900 students and St. V is well over 700 students).

Public schools in Stark County are all either declining in enrollment or somewhat stagnant so they are also competing for kids with each other. There are far fewer school age children (6-18 years old) in Stark County than a mere 10-15 years ago. Fertility rates in the U.S. are in big time decline and Stark County is no exception.
Old 06-15-17, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
There were some things from the NBC/EBC thread I might like to revisit if I have time (unlikely), but I would like to pose this question since I totally overlooked the possibility earlier:

As we all know, St. Thomas Aquinas is currently a member of the NCL. If and when Stark goes to 1 Catholic HS, does that school decide to take St. Thomas' place in the NCL (enrollment would keep that school in the White Division), or would you rather see that school say "league affiliation is nice, but we're not keen on all the trips to Cleveland" and cut bait with the NCL?

The local publics may not want that school in a league, but I believe many would want to play that school in the OOC portion of their non-football schedules.
Old 06-15-17, 10:21 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I do not think Lake Center Christian has any meaningful affect on STA or CCC. Neither school is losing any Catholic kids to LCC.
I also do not believe that it has had a large effect. However, it is certainly another education option for people that are simply looking for an alternative to their local public school district. In that way, it is competition.

An LCC parent told me that some Catholics do attend LCC, but that number is very small. The total percentage of non-Catholics at Central over the past 25 years has usually been about 10-15%, give or take a few points. THis has remained rather steady even though EdChoice and falling enrollment have incentivized the school to increase its marketing efforts to non-Catholics. I assume you could argue that some of those non-Catholics that we used to get were looking for a faith-based education and they are now able to get that in a more generic Christian environment as opposed to a school clearly infused with Catholic doctrine and tradition. I don't know that and I do not suppose anyone else knows that either.

I think the far bigger private school competition for Aquinas and Central (other than each other) is Hoban, Walsh Jesuit, SVSM and the Elms, in that order.
Old 06-15-17, 10:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Open enrollment likely does have more of an affect though that issue does not seem to affect Hoban and St. V. in that both their enrollments have increased significantly over the last 10-15 years (Hoban is getting close to 900 students and St. V is well over 700 students).

Public schools in Stark County are all either declining in enrollment or somewhat stagnant so they are also competing for kids with each other. There are far fewer school age children (6-18 years old) in Stark County than a mere 10-15 years ago. Fertility rates in the U.S. are in big time decline and Stark County is no exception.
I agree that OE has an effect as, like LCC, it is another option for parents that are looking for an alternative to their local public school. That said, it is a free option so that is MAJOR competition when comparing it to institutions that are charging tuition. We are kidding ourselves if we think that our schools are full of faith-filled people that are insistent upon a Catholic education for their children. We have to be honest and acknowledge that people come to private schools for a variety of reasons - tradition, Catholic doctrine, perceived disciplines, perceived academic quality, etc. on the high-minded side . . . but also dislike of public school district, angry with a coach/teacher, racism, classism on the darker side of the spectrum. OE gives a free option (and some even pay for it - for example Plain Local students enrolling at Hoover and paying tuition to do that) for parents looking to remedy some of the MANY reasons someone might opt for or look at Catholic education.
Old 06-15-17, 10:36 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
There were some things from the NBC/EBC thread I might like to revisit if I have time (unlikely), but I would like to pose this question since I totally overlooked the possibility earlier:

As we all know, St. Thomas Aquinas is currently a member of the NCL. If and when Stark goes to 1 Catholic HS, does that school decide to take St. Thomas' place in the NCL (enrollment would keep that school in the White Division), or would you rather see that school say "league affiliation is nice, but we're not keen on all the trips to Cleveland" and cut bait with the NCL?

The local publics may not want that school in a league, but I believe many would want to play that school in the OOC portion of their non-football schedules.
If the FL remains unbalanced and the new EBC becomes unbalanced, and by "unbalanced" I mean that they have an odd number of teams thus necessitating nonleague games in weeks 4-10, then I think independence would be the way to go as you could easily put together a good schedule with a strong local flavor in football. It would be an attractive game to many (of course, not all) local teams.

Local ADs may disagree but it is my opinion that football is the only schedule that is truly difficult to fill as an independent. Admittedly, it is more work to fill independent schedules in other sports but getting the requisite number of games - home and away - is not that difficult. In short, it is a mountain that can be climbed.
Old 06-15-17, 10:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
The last rebuild of Catholic high schools happened from mid-50s to late 60s. And that really was the last. Holy Name moved to a new building in 1978. I think that's the newest Diocesan run school built in the state. VASJ new building was 1972. Everything else in the state was built when half the staff in the buildings was working for free, more or less. The Dioceses are not going to buy new land or build new buildings for high schools until the demographics stabilize. As long as people continue to abandon the churches, the schools, and the priesthood in droves, it makes no sense to redefine service areas until all the parish closures and consolidations are done.
Demographics never really stabilize, they are always changing and projections are often incorrect. Your post, which I agree with, is exactly why Catholic schools should be the number one priority for all Dioceses. New schools are going to have to be built eventually unless a Diocese plans on getting out of the education business altogether, which may be the case not too far down the road. All the research and data show strong evidence that children who attend and graduate from Catholic schools are much more likely to remain practicing Catholics their entire lives (attend mass regularly, send their own children to Catholic schools, become priests, volunteer and donate).

The priest numbers could be corrected pretty easily. There is no real prohibition against priests being married though celibacy is a good goal for priest in that the reason is they dedicate all their efforts to their vocation. The Catholic Church should adopt the Orthodox Church's position. Priest may marry but if they do they cannot move up the hierarchy and become Bishops or Cardinals.

Last edited by Summa; 06-15-17 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-15-17, 01:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post

I am not too sure that many public schools in Stark County would be interested in playing and Aquinas-Central Catholic team in football other than maybe a couple Fed teams once in a while. Both schools have more than held their own separately, despite small enrollments, in football and most other sports over the recent past against bigger public schools in the area. I just can't see most area schools jumping at the opportunity to play and potentially lose more often than they win in football to a school with about 200 boys, assuming retention of most of the students. With the talent both schools have had over the last 5-6 years in football can you imagine how good an Aquinas-Central team would have been over that time if all the top players were in the combined school? I don't think many area teams would have been interested in playing those mythical combined teams because I do not think many, if any, would have had a chance to beat those STA/CCC teams.

Last edited by Summa; 06-15-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 01:19 PM
All American

Quote:
I am not too sure that many public schools in Stark County would be interested in playing and Aquinas-Central Catholic team in football other than maybe a couple Fed teams once in a while. Both schools have more than held their own separately, despite small enrollments, in football and most other sports over the recent past against other bigger public schools in the area. I just can't see most area schools jumping at the opportunity to play and potentially lose more often than they win in football to a school with about 200 boys, assuming retention of most of the students. With the talent both schools have had over the last 5-6 years in football can you imagine how good an Aquinas-Central team would have been over that time if all the top players were in the combined school?
So you think you would advocate for retaining membership in the NCL?
Old 06-15-17, 01:22 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
I personally like the NCL, but whether or not a combined school stayed in the NCL would not be a deal breaker for me. I just don't see this as being a significant issue. Other issues already mentioned would be much more significant.
Old 06-15-17, 01:39 PM
All Ohio

How many boys would you estimate a combined STA-CCC would have?
Old 06-15-17, 02:15 PM
All American

Quote:
That would greatly depend on how a potential merger was done.
Old 06-15-17, 02:15 PM
All Ohio

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The priest numbers could be corrected pretty easily. There is no real prohibition against priests being married though celibacy is a good goal for priest in that the reason is they dedicate all their efforts to their vocation. The Catholic Church should adopt the Orthodox Church's position. Priest may marry but if they do they cannot move up the hierarchy and become Bishops or Cardinals.
The rule for Eastern Orthodox is that they have to get married before they are ordained as a priest, deacon, or subdeacon. The Eastern Orthodox church does not have Cardinals also, the closest equivalent would probably be an Archbishop. The point being the hierarchical structure of the Eastern Orthodox church is a bit different.

It is actually pretty interesting to compare the similarities and differences between the Roman Catholic Church and the Greek and Russian et al Orthodox Churches.

As far as this situation is concerned, I don't think constructing a new building is the best idea at this point in time, they will just have to make due with what they have, unfortunately the end result may be the closure of both schools eventually but much of the situation is out of their hands.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-17, 02:23 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
The rule for Eastern Orthodox is that they have to get married before they are ordained as a priest, deacon, or subdeacon. The Eastern Orthodox church does not have Cardinals also, the closest equivalent would probably be an Archbishop. The point being the hierarchical structure of the Eastern Orthodox church is a bit different.

It is actually pretty interesting to compare the similarities and differences between the Roman Catholic Church and the Greek and Russian et al Orthodox Churches.

As far as this situation is concerned, I don't think constructing a new building is the best idea at this point in time, they will just have to make due with what they have, unfortunately the end result may be the closure of both schools eventually but much of the situation is out of their hands.

That is my concern and my strong belief on what will happen if a new school is not built. I believe Canton would be the largest metro area, with a sizable Catholic population, in the entire nation to not have a Catholic high school. Somebody can research that but I am pretty sure that would be true.

Not having a viable private school option is also not a very good sign for an area economically. Many young educated professionals will not move to or start their careers in an area without a private school option whether they utilize that option or not down the road. I believe the Ohio Association of Realtors or some other group had an interesting report/study on this recently. I read it, I just can't remember who did or had the report.

Last edited by Summa; 06-15-17 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 02:38 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Would Country Day seek to add 9-12 to fill such a void? I mean I guess that would keep the truly elite happy, but who's to say they aren't already sending their kids to places like Old Trail, Hawken, US, etc...

It's probably best to have one viable HS to attract the highest number of regular Catholics. That option if they were able to go near the Walsh campus would have been a great idea. Of course that's tougher than ever now because most of them live in suburbs with good-to-great schools. I would imagine the expansion of EdChoice would be a good thing if it pushed more into the middle class.

One thing that hasn't been established that I would be curious about, how many go from public K-8 to parochial 9-12? I would imagine it isn't as many as those from K-8 parochial to 9-12 public but we definitely had a good chunk of those in the Youngstown area.
Old 06-15-17, 02:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
That is my concern and my strong belief on what will happen if a new school is not built. I believe Canton would be the largest metro area, with a sizable Catholic population, in the entire nation to not have a Catholic high school. Somebody can research that but I am pretty sure that would be true.
The main problem is they cannot build a new school. There is a myriad of reasons why this is the case. I don't want to detail some of them so as not to offend anyone.
The only way they can build a new school is if someone donates about forty to fifty million dollars, but the chances of any one person being willing to donate that much at this point in time are very slim.
The current situation and the future outlook just does not lend itself to the success of a Catholic school be it new or existing one in the greater Canton area.

Building a new school would likely spell the end for not only the Canton area school but also any others in the diocese. It is just too large of a financial burden without a large benefactor to offset the costs. Building a new school would be the beginning of the end for all the schools in the diocese.

If the existing schools can weather the storm and hang on without closing down, that is the only hope. Canton CC and Aquinas are a sinking ship, the other area schools just aren't strong enough and you would be taking them down with you and be even worse off with even more Catholic schools shut down.

Old 06-15-17, 03:00 PM
All American

Quote:
I agree with Summa, but my estimate as to the total enrollment of the school if it merged in time for the 2018-2019 school year would be approximately 400 with boys slightly outnumbering girls.
Old 06-15-17, 03:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Would Country Day seek to add 9-12 to fill such a void? I mean I guess that would keep the truly elite happy, but who's to say they aren't already sending their kids to places like Old Trail, Hawken, US, etc...
I would highly doubt that. Country Day School was built to be a feeder to the elite eastern boarding schools which many of its early graduates attended. The number of CCDS students going to elite boarding schools is shrinking and the majority of its students head to Central, Jackson and Hoover nearly every year. WRA usually gets one or two but matriculation outside of those 4 schools is limited to a handful. CCDS is also struggling, enrollment-wise. I simply cannot imagine the enrollment supporting expansion to include an Upper School nor do I think CCDS benefactors would fund such an expansion. Now their fundraising is more sophisticated than any Catholic school in Stark County and they usually just divide the operating budget by the number of excepted students (minus some fundraising revenue allocation) to arrive at the tuition cost but, at the end of the day, they are still struggling for students. If the need was there and it made sense logistically but all current factors point to no.

Quote:
It's probably best to have one viable HS to attract the highest number of regular Catholics. That option if they were able to go near the Walsh campus would have been a great idea. Of course that's tougher than ever now because most of them live in suburbs with good-to-great schools.
That idea was first floated in the 1980s and it was more realistic then as Walsh may not be so eager to use its land to support a Catholic prep school. Also, this is not a very convenient location to get to for a good part of the county, especially Jackson Township families.

Quote:
I would imagine the expansion of EdChoice would be a good thing if it pushed more into the middle class.
Not a panacea, like I said, but definitely not a bad thing.

Quote:
One thing that hasn't been established that I would be curious about, how many go from public K-8 to parochial 9-12? I would imagine it isn't as many as those from K-8 parochial to 9-12 public but we definitely had a good chunk of those in the Youngstown area.
At Central, at least, we still retain the majority of our 8th graders. However, the number we lose to public schools from our feeder schools does dwarf and has always (and likely always will) dwarfed the number of students from public schools that matriculate to Central.
Old 06-15-17, 03:28 PM
All American

Quote:
The only way they can build a new school is if someone donates about forty to fifty million dollars, but the chances of any one person being willing to donate that much at this point in time are very slim.
I do not agree (or understand) all that you are saying but I must say that I do agree with your estimated cost to create a modern learning space and acquire the land, prep the land, add necessary/expected auxiliary facilities such as practice and competition facilities, etc. I think we might able to get that done for $35M on the low end if it was a little on the spartan side. However, if you want to build a "little Jackson" or "little Hoover" for an expected enrollment of 400-500 students, you would be looking at your outer estimate of $50M, easy. This is assuming you could find the 30-40 acres in a good location, purchase it and prep it at or near market value.

That said, I do not think that you do not need one person to donate all of that; on the other hand, you cannot hope to raise that kind of money with $500, $5,000 or even $50,000 donations. You would need the local foundations to commit to about half of the cost and you would also need a handful of seven figure donations to start to put a dent in the price tag before you started looking for additional $100K-$500K donors.

I am not sure that money is out there in Stark County. I mean, to put this in perspective, in 400 people donated $50,000, we are only halfway there.
Old 06-15-17, 03:34 PM
All American

Quote:
One of the similarities is that both are suffering through . . . a priest shortage. I am not sure a married clergy would easily solve the Catholic Church's problem. It likely would not hurt, and I am certainly in favor of trying something new, but I do not think we quickly get back to being able to staff all of our parishes.

Of course, I strongly believe that we need to react to our condition and close parishes quickly. It is asinine to have infrastructure from a time of neighborhood parishes, more weekly communicants and a car-less or car-limited society and not change that. After the last reorganization, exactly two churches in Stark County were no longer used. They did not take the Band-Aid off, in my opinion.
Old 06-15-17, 03:37 PM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Any Catholic school that leaves a Catholic league for a local public league should know...they will be independent soon enough....and then not getting back into the Catholic league
Old 06-15-17, 03:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I do not agree (or understand) all that you are saying but I must say that I do agree with your estimated cost to create a modern learning space...
Basically the way I see it is that it is not feasible to raise adequate funds to build a new school without a substantial contribution. You just don't seem to have sufficient backing from the community to be able to raise enough money unless you have an Eddie Debartolo or Cafaro type that makes an eight figure donation. And even then you will need 40 to 50 million and the balance can be raised from everyone else. If it is built it will probably cost at least 60 million at the end of the day. Asking the people of Stark county to raise more than 10 million is pretty unrealistic if you ask me, they will be lucky to get half of that (not counting any donations from "Debartolo types").
Building a new school without the proper funding will bankrupt the whole diocese eventually and that would be the end of several Catholic schools.

Old 06-15-17, 03:47 PM
All American

Quote:
The main problem is they cannot build a new school. There is a myriad of reasons why this is the case. I don't want to detail some of them so as not to offend anyone.
The current situation and the future outlook just does not lend itself to the success of a Catholic school be it new or existing one in the greater Canton area.

Building a new school would likely spell the end for not only the Canton area school but also any others in the diocese. It is just too large of a financial burden without a large benefactor to offset the costs. Building a new school would be the beginning of the end for all the schools in the diocese.

If the existing schools can weather the storm and hang on without closing down, that is the only hope. Canton CC and Aquinas are a sinking ship, the other area schools just aren't strong enough and you would be taking them down with you and be even worse off with even more Catholic schools shut down.

I have in no way ever suggested the DOY fork out the cash to build a new school and never expected that. They do not have the money and you are correct, that would cause tremendous angst with schools in the rest of the Diocese. I simply stated you explore the idea with business leaders and other potential funding sources and start a capital campaign. If it does not pan out, which it very well may not, we would all know that it was not possible and the Diocese would avoid a lot of criticism, since you agree with me that Catholic secondary education will soon be dead with a consolidation into one of the existing buildings.

I don't know how you could possibly offend anyone with why it isn't possible. I would like to know those reasons, but I understand if you don't want to state them.

Another poster mentioned a proposal with Walsh University about 10 years ago. A new school was part of that proposal and about $20 million was almost certainly available from a couple funding sources for that proposal. That $20 million may no longer be available but it was 10 years ago. Unfortunately, that proposal did not happen for other reasons and lack of funding wasn't one of them at that time.
Old 06-15-17, 03:49 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
I think the Diocese needs to sit down and look at where they'd be able to get the most bang for their buck. What happens if you chase all the Jackson folks and in return you don't see much of an enrollment bump? Probably a better idea to max the shares of people in Plain, Canton City, and perhaps Alliance. But that wouldn't change much from where Aquinas is today. In short, there's no ideal option if you go with one school.

The other issue with just shutting down parishes is a quick way to tick everyone off and leave no one happy. Seems like they took the opposite approach in Youngstown as they did in Canton, but then again we have/had a lot more churches. And this doesn't need to turn into a topic of throwing shade at the suburban megachurch-style buildings, otherwise we'd need a religion forum on here lol.
Old 06-15-17, 04:10 PM
All American

Quote:
The other issue with just shutting down parishes is a quick way to tick everyone off and leave no one happy. Seems like they took the opposite approach in Youngstown as they did in Canton, but then again we have/had a lot more churches. And this doesn't need to turn into a topic of throwing shade at the suburban megachurch-style buildings, otherwise we'd need a religion forum on here lol.
Not to mention the embarrassing debacle with the Diocese of Cleveland and parish closures. The Vatican has made clear that lack of priests is not a reason to close a parish and if there are parishioners at a church it cannot be shut down even if does not have an on site priest. Secondly, it is a mistake to close historic parishes that are essentially priceless works of art architecturally with irreplaceable stained glass windows, marble, paintings, murals, tiles, hand carved wood, old organs that are worth a ton of money, etc...

In Stark County the most beautiful churches in my order of ranking would be:

1. St. Peter (Canton)
2. St. John the Baptist (Canton)
3. St. Mary (Massillon)
4. St. Joseph (Canton)

St. Peter is probably the top church in the Diocese of Youngstown as far as beauty goes and is one of the most beautiful churches in the entire state. The old German Catholic immigrants sure built some impressive churches.

Trust me, you are never bored going to mass in these four churches due to their beauty. There is quite a lot to look at and it never gets old for me. These churches will never be closed due to their value. Unfortunatley, Cleveland has lost some beautiful churches. No offense to anyone but the newer suburban churches are "God" awful in this regard.

Last edited by Summa; 06-15-17 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 04:17 PM
All Ohio

Does it seriously cost 60 million to build a new school building? Because it cost Coventry School District 33 million to build our new high school for 800 students.
Old 06-15-17, 04:23 PM
All American

Quote:
Does it seriously cost 60 million to build a new school building? Because it cost Coventry School District 33 million to build our new high school for 800 students.
No. For what Aquinas and Central would need it would be in the 25 to 40 million range depending on the design. The new Catholic school built in the Pittsburgh area was about 70 million but that is in a large metro where cost are much higher and that school is at least 60% larger than what Aquinas and Central would need. Materials for athletic fields and stadiums would simply be disassembled and reassembled on the new site which would save at least some costs.
Old 06-15-17, 04:24 PM
All Ohio

It seems to me that it is the inner city parishes that are struggling-I'm catholic by the way- but the suburban parishes are doing just fine. I mean, here in summit county, St Bernard, and St Marys and St Pauls are having issues, but St Francis de Sales be prospering like the sixties never even happened. 5 seminarians from our parish currently, with 1 more just having been canonized this May.
Old 06-15-17, 04:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
No. For what Aquinas and Central would need it would be in the 30 to 35 million range.
Ok. But I guess it is tougher to raise money for a new parochial school building than a public school building.