Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: How many wins for the Tiger in 17
4 19 33.93%
6 14 25.00%
6 18 32.14%
10+ 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-17, 08:44 PM
All Region

23xTigers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
The Williams kid is Leon Williams the brother of Devin Williams who played a few years ago. He's 6'-2" - 250 sophomore who has some great potential. Dean Clark will be a 2 way player for us as will be Kutscher. Both have great size for secondary.
Great insight on the Williams kid. Last year I really thought Kutscher was greatly under utilized. Really thought he would get targeted more than he did. Also what about the upside of the K Mack kid at Wr? Is he going to develop nicely for us?
Old 06-16-17, 08:51 PM
Junior Varsity

OHVA is an unknown quantity at this point
What felons are connected to the program ? No new recruits ? The mitchell kid must not be sending them kids anymore , he did big things for the tigers I heard.
Old 06-16-17, 09:53 PM
All World

Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
WOW! Since it evidently has to be explained to you - The lowest number available on the poll is 4, insinuating that there will be at least four wins on the season.
I took that into consideration the 1st day of this thread, as there are only 4 choices and 2 of them are the same. I didn't vote in the poll, voting in the poll doesn't equate to what people say in posts, separate entities. I've seen nobody say that they have 4 guaranteed wins, and neither have you.
Old 06-16-17, 10:30 PM
Junior Varsity

T-Roy is on a distinguished road
23x Tigers! I'm not familiar with K. Mack other than he will be a junior. Any word on Dyson Berry playing this year or any of the other basketball players?
Old 06-17-17, 02:05 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23xTigers View Post
So what is stunting the growth at Massillon? We have the pedigree, we have a beautiful stadium and facilities,great tradition, and a rabid supportive fan base. We should have no problem winning consistently at a very high level, especially in DII. Are the kids not fully invested, is the coach not fully invested?
Just from what I've heard on here, it's a coach (and primarily a former DC) trying to drop LaSalle's system onto Massillon without considering that even though Massillon has a ton of D1 talent, they're not going to have every single position perfected like LaSalle can with a huge recruiting pool. Inability to adjust. It led to a lot of a busted plays on the defensive side of the ball. That's pretty generic and take it with a grain of salt, but the best explanation I could come up with. I don't think it's that he doesn't care. Wakefield at Perry is one of the best examples of simplifying to win, even though his system is ancient and wouldn't be appropriate for Massillon.
Old 06-17-17, 08:43 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a great post and I think it's spot on jackson03.
Old 06-18-17, 11:19 AM
All American

BigSack is an unknown quantity at this point
So Massillon has bye weeks against itty bitty Ursuline and Firestone. Road games against a Bowden-less WGH and Fitch, maybe a win between the two. Now we are up to three W's. Is Bedford the fourth win? Why is Bedford even on the schedule?

Seems the locals might be burning their trailers after the first couple of games, but where are the wins going to come from to ensure another first round playoff loss?

Does Nate Moore make it to election day, or is the renewal of his wife's contract indicative that moore-diocraty is here for another contract?
Old 06-18-17, 03:08 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSack View Post
So Massillon has bye weeks against itty bitty Ursuline and Firestone. Road games against a Bowden-less WGH and Fitch, maybe a win between the two. Now we are up to three W's. Is Bedford the fourth win? Why is Bedford even on the schedule?

Seems the locals might be burning their trailers after the first couple of games, but where are the wins going to come from to ensure another first round playoff loss?

Does Nate Moore make it to election day, or is the renewal of his wife's contract indicative that moore-diocraty is here for another contract?
I am not a Bearcat fan or poster. Bedford was 7-4 last year and lost in the opening round of the Division II playoffs. They opened their season 6-0 before facing a run of tougher opposition and losing their last 3 to teams with better records.

The Tigers are playing Bedford in week 5 and after the first 3 weeks, if you are going to be independent in the State today, you sometimes take who you can get. The Tigers are lucky they aren't playing Canadians or a Senate team.

Bedford has been pretty good in recent years and won the LEL title a season or two back. (I know that the LEL isn't what it once may have been these days). My point is they are a DII team with a winning record and a playoff appearance last year. If the Tigers shouldn't be playing Bedford... who should they be playing? I guess Wayne or Colerain ?

If the Tigers defeat them, they should be a good source of Harbin points based on recent seasons of performance. If they should lose... well... I guess it will be apparent why they are on the schedule.

I like to see the Tigers do well and generally pull for them in their games. (Cleveland area Euclid grad and fan here.) But I also recognize it's not 1965 anymore and I think at least some in the Tiger fan base should recognize that and adapt to some new realities.
Old 06-18-17, 04:10 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
23x Tigers! I'm not familiar with K. Mack other than he will be a junior. Any word on Dyson Berry playing this year or any of the other basketball players?
Not quite as close to the program as I would like to be due to the constant travel involved in my work. Not sure if the Berry kid has been working out with the team or not. He's a heck of an athlete and would be a nice addition to the Wr or Db unit, depending on his skill set.

Jackson03, no doubt Cupps defensive philosophy crashed and burned miserably. That's not to say Cupps doesn't know football or defense, there is a big deference in knowing and being able to translate that into teaching. What I saw went further than that, what I saw was a complete break down in fundamentals. Failing to tackle properly, not making the correct reads, failure to make proper adjustments,etc. Now there's simply no excuse for that. You expect to see improvement from week to week and it never materialized and this was year two. Ultimately this failure rests with the head coach, he took necessary steps to correct it. It was a huge failure nonetheless.

So this year will be a make or break for Moore. He needs to get a big win against Mentor week one, it's not a must win, but it would be huge positive for his tenure at Massillon. This fact needs to be stressed, just imagine the positive groundswell this win would generate. It can be done, I would feed the ball to Thomas 20 or more times and hopefully you can generate alittle something through the air with Longwell. We have some real talent at WR with Kutscher,Clark, and Mack. Without a doubt I know the defense will be improved under McConnell. Very interested to see how this year turns out for the Tigers.
Old 06-18-17, 04:35 PM
All American

Isn't that the same McConnell that was coaching at Jackson? I think it is. I thought he was working with the offense here but nevertheless if he was able to turn our perennially terrible defense into something serviceable last year then he'll do wonders at Massillon.
Old 06-18-17, 05:24 PM
All World

23xTiger if you think for one minute Massillon has a chance to beat Mentor Cali_Eagle was spot on. Re-set your expectations. That sure isn't going to happen.
Old 06-19-17, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

longtime1sttime
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Isn't that the same McConnell that was coaching at Jackson? I think it is. I thought he was working with the offense here but nevertheless if he was able to turn our perennially terrible defense into something serviceable last year then he'll do wonders at Massillon.
Yes same guy.
http://www.fridaynightohio.com/news/...assillon-staff
Old 06-19-17, 09:30 AM
All American

BigSack is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime1sttime View Post
Championship #1 guaranteed this year. Tigertown Grille brownies for everyone along the parade route
Old 06-19-17, 09:54 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wakefield at Perry is one of the best examples of simplifying to win, even though his system is ancient and wouldn't be appropriate for Massillon.
Why wouldn't it be appropriate for Massillon? Or do you mean it wouldn't be accepted at Massillon?
Old 06-19-17, 07:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
23xTiger if you think for one minute Massillon has a chance to beat Mentor Cali_Eagle was spot on. Re-set your expectations. That sure isn't going to happen.
Really, as poorly as they performed last year and at the end of the game they were in position to pull off the upset,but the D just couldn't force enough stops. Let's not act like this team is devoid of talent, you have got a heck of a talent in Thomas. Hopefully they line him up in the backfield and find creative ways to get him about 20 or so touches and who knows maybe the Longwell kid makes a few plays through the air against man coverage. You know the defense will be improved. So if you don't think they have a chance keep your A** at home on Aug 25th, you always have a chance.
Old 06-19-17, 09:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Really, as poorly as they performed last year and at the end of the game they were in position to pull off the upset,but the D just couldn't force enough stops. Let's not act like this team is devoid of talent, you have got a heck of a talent in Thomas. Hopefully they line him up in the backfield and find creative ways to get him about 20 or so touches and who knows maybe the Longwell kid makes a few plays through the air against man coverage. You know the defense will be improved. So if you don't think they have a chance keep your A** at home on Aug 25th, you always have a chance.
Actually on August 25th I'll "keep my A**" on a bar stool at some beach bar on St. Pete Beach. I won't even go to the McKinley game anymore because of what that circus has become up there.
Old 06-20-17, 01:33 AM
Junior Varsity

OHVA is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO.. Bedford wins that game and hopefully Thomas stays healthy , he was hurt and sat out a few games last season . Playing both o and d could spell danger for the tigers if they expect 20+ carries with no Watson to help . I see a disappointing season especially if teams load the box on Thomas and make the tigers pass . I guess , We gone have to see if those mentioned WRs get the job done. the run game definitely need help and the Dbs still suspect especially the corners under roddy. Moore should of replaced him at corner since he changed coords, I haven't seen any development . Sorry jus my op watched the past two seasons
Old 06-20-17, 08:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
Actually on August 25th I'll "keep my A**" on a bar stool at some beach bar on St. Pete Beach. I won't even go to the McKinley game anymore because of what that circus has become up there.
Look, knock the club and the atmosphere they create, but don't count out these kids. To say that they don't have a chance is disrespectful and a slap in the face to those kids that are sacrificing blood,sweat,and tears for the opportunity to take the field against Mentor. Come on man! Go Tigers.
Old 06-20-17, 08:35 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This can't be the end result for Nate Moore in his third year at the helm. It would be easier to stomach not making the playoffs,than to be embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs. There are plenty of people writing off Moore already as another failed, forced hire by the booster club "search committee". We know he's not the second coming of Rockne, but can he build upon last years regular season success? He was touted as a program building guru, he made Minster competitive in the MAC and a State Champion, he turned a never won nothing, doormat of a program in LaSalle into a perennial conteder in the GCLS and a multi time State Champion. When you think about it, that's pretty impressive?

So what is stunting the growth at Massillon? We have the pedigree, we have a beautiful stadium and facilities,great tradition, and a rabid supportive fan base. We should have no problem winning consistently at a very high level, especially in DII. Are the kids not fully invested, is the coach not fully invested?
Teams in the area are better than Massillon. Perry has been state runner up two years in a row. Jackson has been very good in basketball and baseball. Also Akron SVSM and Akron Hoban get the best athletes in that area. Programs go up and down
Old 06-20-17, 11:34 PM
All American

I'd also be careful in overreacting to the Dublin Scioto loss. Scioto had state semifinal appearances back when they were D1 and has regional finalist and semifinalist appearances in D2. Their 2016 team was by no means a powerhouse but those are kids who are used to winning. Everyone knows the Tiger defense was the problem and it's getting addressed -- many programs go years or decades without fixing simple problems to be competitive.

Sometimes I think the pedigree/history isn't as much of an asset anymore. These days players at Scioto (or Hudson, or heck even Akron East last year) can get a highlight reel on Twitter by halftime. That's the stuff that carries weight for kids. A booster club harping on about ancient history isn't going to do much to motivate anyone. And it definitely doesn't scare opponents anymore. Call it the ESPN-ification of high school sports.
Old 06-21-17, 09:55 AM
All Region

Yeah Perry probably had much better talent than we had over these past two years, good point. We only had a handful of guys get offered D1 scholarships on last years team....

Dublin Scioto history is important, but at Massillon tradition doesn't mean anything. Dublin Scioto is used to winning, but Massillon isn't?
Old 06-21-17, 10:19 AM
All World

Quote:
Yeah Perry probably had much better talent than we had over these past two years, good point. We only had a handful of guys get offered D1 scholarships on last years team....

Dublin Scioto history is important, but at Massillon tradition doesn't mean anything. Dublin Scioto is used to winning, but Massillon isn't?
So take away the "handful of guys" that got offered DI scholarships and tell me what you had. Also, these DI guys were shamed time after time during the season and certainly in the Dublin game. You are making no sense my man.
Old 06-21-17, 01:18 PM
All American

Nope, obviously kids at Massillon are used to winning. Just saying that it's a different era. Scioto isn't going to be in awe of Massillon's tradition like they might have been 10 or 20 years ago. They're a good program. Saying that a win is guaranteed before the game and then going to pieces after the loss screams of looking past and disrespecting your opponent. It's a recipe to lose again and again. You can't pretend that the football landscape hasn't changed. Suburban Columbus teams are good now.
Old 06-21-17, 01:38 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nope, obviously kids at Massillon are used to winning. Just saying that it's a different era. Scioto isn't going to be in awe of Massillon's tradition like they might have been 10 or 20 years ago. They're a good program. Saying that a win is guaranteed before the game and then going to pieces after the loss screams of looking past and disrespecting your opponent. It's a recipe to lose again and again. You can't pretend that the football landscape hasn't changed. Suburban Columbus teams are good now.
As Massillon is a dying area, Columbus is growing fast. Sucks Columbus limits the size of the schools around 600 boys bottom three grades. remember Dublin has three schools like most towns in the OCC
Old 06-21-17, 01:38 PM
All World

Quote:
They're very good. So are other surrounding teams in the area. I mean let's review. First, Medina Highland, then the absolute debacle with Perrysburg (even though those uniforms were second to none and the delivery of them was over the top) to the final embarrassment of last year. Take these examples along with the Munford circus, Da Klub paying the $5K fine, and then the $2-3K charge now once a year to parade a live tiger in front of everyone. Recipe for disaster and that's what it's become.
Old 06-21-17, 03:06 PM
All American

BulldogBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
As Massillon is a dying area, Columbus is growing fast. Sucks Columbus limits the size of the schools around 600 boys bottom three grades. remember Dublin has three schools like most towns in the OCC
True
Old 06-21-17, 04:03 PM
All Region

MassillonMike is on a distinguished road
Nice to see some normal chatter on here instead of the usual. Keep it up fellas! If I remember correctly, was there a kid named Soto that saw some playing time last year on the OL? I believe he was only a junior.
Old 06-21-17, 04:50 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Here is the way I see the above bolded part of the quote. Whatever winning Dublin Scioto is doing, it's happened recently, under the playoff system and the Harbin System. They aren't looking back to Wire Service Titles from 1962 (for example, which Toledo Central Catholic really won) for their history. Their history is recent and under the present system.

I have the utmost respect for Massillon's pre playoff era tradition. I am a fan that remembers what things were REALLY like and how well and FEARED those Tiger teams were regarded AT THE TIME. Most posters and fans of today are younger and have seen Tiger fans on here claiming 24 Popular Acclaim and Wire Service Titles and they don't remember, understand or know how good the Tiger program was for a 40 year run (say 1933-1972 when the playoffs and Harbins began.)

All they think, is those Titles must be bogus (they by and large were NOT, IMHO) because they don't win them today "on the field" in playoffs. I know they won the wire service titles "on the field" but I am talking about todays younger fan base that doesn't recall those days. That fan base thinks the Tigers must have gamed the system. Plus the SWO posters that claim (rightly or wrongly) that SWO had inadequate representation on the AP & UPI panels.

The Tiger record from 1972 to today is still really excellent, 3 State Runnerups, and 9 Regional Titles. Most public schools cant even dream of having a record like that over the past 45 years. But the fixation on the past and defense of the record under the old system has most modern day fans derisive. The Tiger fan base has to move past the wire service glory and prime TODAY's Tiger teams for a title run under the present system.

I think had their been some sort of playoff 1933-1972 The Tigers would have won it, probably pretty often. Some of their teams would have been upset, and a few of the non poll winning Tiger teams might have rallied and scored playoff titles they didn't get from the papers. But that's all speculative and it doesn't matter.

What matters is todays system and scheduling and winning under it. Not scheduling like you are gunning for the AP Title. And not dwelling on the past when todays short sighted fans take shots based on "paper titles" Focus on todays system and winning under it. (which is one more reason why Bedford is a good team to have on the schedule. Win it and they should provide good Harbin points, which is what matters today.)
Old 06-21-17, 05:32 PM
All Region

I wish there was a way to indicate sarcasm in these posts.
Old 06-21-17, 08:55 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually on August 25th I'll "keep my A**" on a bar stool at some beach bar on St. Pete Beach.
I highly recommend Jimmy B's at the Beachcomber.

Take a look around for some of the brain cells I left there.