Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-18-17, 08:43 AM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 2,633
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
Pickerington Central couldn't have made it because Canfield played Toledo Central Catholic in 2005 for D-II. Pickerington Central was in D-II at least until 2006 because that year they gave Canfield their only loss in I think the 2nd round and Pick Central went on to lose in the State Championship game.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Ah yeah, got my years mixed up. I was thinking of the year Canfield went down to Picktown and gave them a great game in the 1st round. Had to be 06 then. Was a great stretch for Canfield. 07 was a second round loss to DeSales IIRC.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-18-17, 09:35 AM
simkon simkon is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-27-11
Posts: 235
simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Ah yeah, got my years mixed up. I was thinking of the year Canfield went down to Picktown and gave them a great game in the 1st round. Had to be 06 then. Was a great stretch for Canfield. 07 was a second round loss to DeSales IIRC.
The weird thing was in 2006 when Canfield lost to Pickerington Central, Canfield was the 3rd best team in D-II but lost in the first round. Pickerington's closest game aside from their loss in the championship was to Canfield. Cal Prep actually favored Canfield on paper to be the best team in division two in 2005 and 2006. In 2005 Canfield on paper was favored over every team except for three or four in Ohio, compared to 2006 they were favored over everyone in D-II (though some by only 1 point) but about ten-twelve teams were favored over them.
Both Pickerington schools always seem to have some very good players. The Columbus area usually has some very tough teams.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-19-17, 12:06 PM
bluepride1990 bluepride1990 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-29-14
Posts: 299
bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsdog View Post
What Columbus does have is publics with state titles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Central Ohio Publics with State titles

DI Hilliard Davidson 06 and 09
DI Upper Arlington 00
DII Dublin Scioto 95
DII Columbus Brookhaven 04
DIII Sunbury Big Walnut 07 (beating Newark Licking Valley in all Central Ohio public final)

These are rural but are part of the Central District
A/DV Marion Pleasant 72,96, 02
A/DIV West Jefferson 76, 82
DV Amanda-Clearcreek 99 & 00
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-28-17, 07:18 AM
Thunderstruck2652 Thunderstruck2652 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-19-08
Posts: 127
Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Region 2 was a joke. It was by far the weakest region overall. That's not a question. Doesn't mean a strong team or two can't emerge

Columbus doesn't have the majority of the power publics by any measure either


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed with your take. It's a bit of a head-scratcher though as to why we haven't seen more of a recent emergence from one or two of the big public schools in the Columbus area; the communities are growing in population, nearly all of the schools I've visited for sporting events have had beautiful facilities. The conditions should be ideal for a perennial power to emerge who teams from other parts of the state do not want to see in the playoffs but with a few minor exceptions it's still the same parity. Perhaps community affluence and injury concerns are keeping many of the kids in other sports?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-28-17, 09:19 AM
Cthelites Cthelites is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-20-08
Location: Stay Thirsty My Friends!
Posts: 4,344
Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck2652 View Post
Agreed with your take. It's a bit of a head-scratcher though as to why we haven't seen more of a recent emergence from one or two of the big public schools in the Columbus area; the communities are growing in population, nearly all of the schools I've visited for sporting events have had beautiful facilities. The conditions should be ideal for a perennial power to emerge who teams from other parts of the state do not want to see in the playoffs but with a few minor exceptions it's still the same parity. Perhaps community affluence and injury concerns are keeping many of the kids in other sports?
Ummm...because they are not that big comparatively.
Splitting the schools takes time to build back numbers for depth which is what it takes to win the title vs these large/privates.
Remember, Hilliard Davidson won both of their titles vs Cleve pubs. Although one is a giant school and the other an all star team.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-28-17, 01:18 PM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 10,197
MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthelites View Post
Ummm...because they are not that big comparatively.

Splitting the schools takes time to build back numbers for depth which is what it takes to win the title vs these large/privates.

Remember, Hilliard Davidson won both of their titles vs Cleve pubs. Although one is a giant school and the other an all star team.


Hd and ua weren't in the region 2 that I called a joke


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-28-17, 02:11 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 19,636
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck2652 View Post
Agreed with your take. It's a bit of a head-scratcher though as to why we haven't seen more of a recent emergence from one or two of the big public schools in the Columbus area; the communities are growing in population, nearly all of the schools I've visited for sporting events have had beautiful facilities. The conditions should be ideal for a perennial power to emerge who teams from other parts of the state do not want to see in the playoffs but with a few minor exceptions it's still the same parity. Perhaps community affluence and injury concerns are keeping many of the kids in other sports?
If you think about how rare it is for a public school to win the D1 state title it's not much of a mystery why there aren't more big Columbus area schools bringing home the trophy. I may be mistaken but I believe since 2000 there have been only three public schools winning four titles: Upper Arlington, Colerain & Hilliard Davidson. So you can argue that the Columbus area has had the best success in D1 since 2000!

The only other two public schools to make noise over this time deep in the playoffs have been Mentor & Wayne, both of which remain viable contenders for a D1 title today. Net, given Upper Arlington has fallen back into the pack as has Hilliard Davidson there are only three public schools that routinely challenge for a D1 state title in recent years: Wayne, Mentor & Colerain.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-28-17, 03:37 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: Wayne 45 Centerville 8
Posts: 34,195
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
If you think about how rare it is for a public school to win the D1 state title it's not much of a mystery why there aren't more big Columbus area schools bringing home the trophy. I may be mistaken but I believe since 2000 there have been only three public schools winning four titles: Upper Arlington, Colerain & Hilliard Davidson. So you can argue that the Columbus area has had the best success in D1 since 2000!

The only other two public schools to make noise over this time deep in the playoffs have been Mentor & Wayne, both of which remain viable contenders for a D1 title today. Net, given Upper Arlington has fallen back into the pack as has Hilliard Davidson there are only three public schools that routinely challenge for a D1 state title in recent years: Wayne, Mentor & Colerain.
All 4 of those state titles were against other public schools. When was the last public over private in D1 state title game?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-28-17, 03:49 PM
FormerWildcat's Avatar
FormerWildcat FormerWildcat is offline
Yappi Supporter
 
Join Date: 07-22-01
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,855
FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
All 4 of those state titles were against other public schools. When was the last public over private in D1 state title game?
What difference does that make? It's not like the private schools didn't participate in the playoffs in those years.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-28-17, 04:03 PM
Harrycrane Harrycrane is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 890
Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Mentor is a excellent football program and has a very good sports program in general , but they really have no big reason to look down on CO football .

It's not as if they would have won the old R-3 most years if they had the chance . PC was better some years for sure , Coffman a few years as well , 2007 Mentor went to the state final and got handled easily by ST X losing by 4 TD'S Coffman the week before lost by 3 with the ball inside the ST X 10 the only team to outgain them from scrimmage all year , Davidson FOR SURE WAS BETTER A FEW YEARS beat you in 2006 yes it was a razor close decision , and in 2009 State champ Davidson was better as well . PC as I mentioned as well , Pick North was a better football team than Mentor in 2012 ?

So I get that R-1 has been stronger than R-2 no question , but for your excellent program to look down on the best teams in Central Ohio is not warranted IMO.

You do have some nice numbers advantages though you must admit . I will qualify that with the Davidson team in 2006 wasn't dwarfed in enrollment by Mentor as 2006 was before the school split , Darby and Davidson were both bursting a bit at the seams circa 2006 .
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-28-17, 04:51 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: Wayne 45 Centerville 8
Posts: 34,195
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
What difference does that make? It's not like the private schools didn't participate in the playoffs in those years.
I don't want to knock on Davidson as they are a great program but lets be honest for a second. They do not have to match up with a private school in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs. It is one thing to have to knock off a private school once in the playoffs but try it twice and three times.... much different story.

I was asking a question as it seems like it has not happened in a long time....
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-28-17, 04:57 PM
FormerWildcat's Avatar
FormerWildcat FormerWildcat is offline
Yappi Supporter
 
Join Date: 07-22-01
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,855
FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I don't want to knock on Davidson as they are a great program but lets be honest for a second. They do not have to match up with a private school in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs. It is one thing to have to knock off a private school once in the playoffs but try it twice and three times.... much different story.
That presupposes that the private schools are somehow inherently better than the public schools. I completely disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-28-17, 07:22 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: Wayne 45 Centerville 8
Posts: 34,195
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
That presupposes that the private schools are somehow inherently better than the public schools. I completely disagree.
They most definitely are....

Any given year if you ask someone who their top 10 teams in D1 are.... most would have Iggy, Ed's, St.Xavier, Moeller, and Elder in the top 10.

Logan, Upper Arlington, Coffman, Colerain, Mentor....

OR

Fairfield, St.Xavier, Elder, Kilbourne, St. Ignatius
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-28-17, 07:55 PM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 10,197
MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Division I Regions (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Mentor is a excellent football program and has a very good sports program in general , but they really have no big reason to look down on CO football .

It's not as if they would have won the old R-3 most years if they had the chance . PC was better some years for sure , Coffman a few years as well , 2007 Mentor went to the state final and got handled easily by ST X losing by 4 TD'S Coffman the week before lost by 3 with the ball inside the ST X 10 the only team to outgain them from scrimmage all year , Davidson FOR SURE WAS BETTER A FEW YEARS beat you in 2006 yes it was a razor close decision , and in 2009 State champ Davidson was better as well . PC as I mentioned as well , Pick North was a better football team than Mentor in 2012 ?

So I get that R-1 has been stronger than R-2 no question , but for your excellent program to look down on the best teams in Central Ohio is not warranted IMO.

You do have some nice numbers advantages though you must admit . I will qualify that with the Davidson team in 2006 wasn't dwarfed in enrollment by Mentor as 2006 was before the school split , Darby and Davidson were both bursting a bit at the seams circa 2006 .


Reread my posts. I was taking about region 2 being a joke. That didn't have hd ua or Coffman in it when I was talking about it

As for mentor not winning r3, I disagree. They could have won it in 02/03/06/11/12/13 etc. You bring up 07 but football is matchup based. The theory of common opponent doesn't always work

But going by that in 2011 we lost by 6 to Ignatius. They beat pick central so bad in the title game that backups for each team were in. So two can play that game

Also in r3 not getting privates til the final 4 is a HUGE advantage. Mentor had to beat Ignatius and Eds back to back before narrowly losing to moeller in 2013. The privates with their huge lines and depth can get to you a lot more than central Ohio publics


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-28-17, 08:35 PM
Harrycrane Harrycrane is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 890
Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
ok so I am saying your large may be the largest biggest public school is not any advantage at all , I agree no edge at all , so your diminishing CO publics ALL much small er than your school of course , 2013 all time biggest public in Ohio almost running the gauntlet but what since then ?

If you were in R-3 since 2000 YOU have no more titles THAN ANY ONE ELSE I CENTRAL OHIO because you aren't any better than those teams .
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-28-17, 08:41 PM
Harrycrane Harrycrane is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 890
Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
YOUR only advantage is NUMBERS if not for huge enrollment you are average
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-28-17, 08:42 PM
Harrycrane Harrycrane is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 890
Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are in Central Ohio your high school splits , it becomes two high schools of 1600 kids , and if so you become MEH quickly
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-28-17, 08:54 PM
Harrycrane Harrycrane is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 890
Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
mentor high school , 92 percent white first language kids 6 GREAT SCHOOL RANKING ???? Really ? wow academics are just an afterthought
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Division II Regions (2017) Yappi Football 17 06-08-17 05:15 AM
2017 Division VII Schedules EagleFan Football 24 06-06-17 07:12 PM
2017 Division VI Schedules EagleFan Football 13 06-06-17 07:12 PM
2017 Division I Schedules EagleFan Football 66 06-06-17 07:11 PM
2017 Schedules By Division/Region UPDATED 6/25 EagleFan Football 13 05-25-17 06:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz