Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-27-17, 10:06 PM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 3,043
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto21 View Post
What SVC are referring to? By that I mean the teams in it.
Boardman, Fitch, Mooney, Ursuline, Harding.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-28-17, 08:46 AM
Hilltopper1 Hilltopper1 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 171
Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
Struthers Poland Lakeview Girard want no part of Howland Canfield in the tier, and yes that is true. Theyre threatening to blow up this league over it. Struthers Poland I really don't get it, Struthers already plays Canfield why would they want to blow a tier over it. Poland really? What I find amazing is the league threatened Campbell with being voted out if they don't play a 2 Division higher Struthers team (all coordinated by Struthers and Poland by the way) and now the same two teams are throwing a fit about Having to play Canfield and Howland!? You both play Canfield already. Very typical of Struthers and Poland to blow up a league when they don't get their way through. I'm speaking to the administration of these districts I don't believe for a min any of the Struthers guys on here have any problem playing those schools.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-28-17, 09:56 AM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,772
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Eventually these people will leave the admin roles.......
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-28-17, 09:57 AM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,772
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Boardman, Fitch, Mooney, Ursuline, Harding.
So the worst time of the SVC? lol
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-28-17, 10:12 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,090
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Eventually these people will leave the admin roles.......
They need to die. A whole generation of folks around here will need to die for any of this to make sense.

until then, they will live and make decisions based on personal agendas and general lack of common sense.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-28-17, 10:56 AM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,772
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
I mean yeah. That's a morbid way to say it but I agree.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-28-17, 11:16 AM
smartestdumbguy01 smartestdumbguy01 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-12-07
Posts: 875
smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1 View Post
Struthers Poland Lakeview Girard want no part of Howland Canfield in the tier, and yes that is true. Theyre threatening to blow up this league over it. Struthers Poland I really don't get it, Struthers already plays Canfield why would they want to blow a tier over it. Poland really? What I find amazing is the league threatened Campbell with being voted out if they don't play a 2 Division higher Struthers team (all coordinated by Struthers and Poland by the way) and now the same two teams are throwing a fit about Having to play Canfield and Howland!? You both play Canfield already. Very typical of Struthers and Poland to blow up a league when they don't get their way through. I'm speaking to the administration of these districts I don't believe for a min any of the Struthers guys on here have any problem playing those schools.
Agreed....where is the commissioner on this issue? Isn't that his job? Solve some problems or step aside so that the league can get someone who can figure this all out.

There is a large spread in D3 and I get why a Canfield at 361 and Howland at 354 don't work for struthers at 243 or Lakeview at 235....however the problem you get is that all schools vote on the tier structure. If they took just a vote of the middle tier then it would fail miserably...why should Champion and NF vote on who Struthers and Lakeview play? Again comes down to leadership...fix the problem and move forward.

Keep bottom tier the same. I personally think that some of those smaller (D5/D6) schools in AAC should of got WR, McDonald or some of those Columbiana County schools like EP or Columbiana and made a heck of a league but everyone wants to be top dog and I understand that.

Tell Canfield and Howland they can play up in league or leave because they are the minority. Get two schools Salem, WB, SR, Crestview, whoever...to fill in that void in the middle and call it a day.

This can actually be put into action. Does the SVC make sense...absolutely, however that ain't going happen anytime soon. Does Canfield and Howland get a crappy deal...yes...but what are you going to do. Your the only two schools who are 100 boys bigger than a bunch of schools but yet a 100 boys smaller than a bunch of schools.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-28-17, 11:53 AM
Bandit22 Bandit22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-12-16
Posts: 164
Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
not a tier fan

I can't believe how some schools want to posture and not play others schools.

but then turn around and expect certain schools with lower enrollment to be agreeable to play. Do they think others do not notice the hypocrisy of their actions or do they just not care.

I know there is enrollment discrepency in divisions. But if you are D3 then you are D3 and have to be ready to play and beat other D3 schools in the playoffs....unless you are not counting on going to the playoffs.

I would be super shocked if Salem SR or WB even act like they are interested in anything other than what they just set up.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-28-17, 01:10 PM
roberto21 roberto21 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-10-09
Location: Hubbard, OH
Posts: 727
roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
So the worst time of the SVC? lol
That's exactly what I thought. Boardman and Fitch were the only two teams out of the five that were in the SVC during its heyday. The other three only contributed to its demise, IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-28-17, 01:18 PM
Paladin1aa Paladin1aa is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-16-06
Location: Mahoning Valley
Posts: 941
Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
The Commish is a former Lakeview assist. coach who went on to coach at Howland. He has spent too much time trying to mollify some crybabies, namely Howland and Canfield. He also got leveraged a few years back to mollify both Poland and Niles to give them a shot at competing for TWO titles as they didn't expect to win the tier with Howland and canfield . This did not set well with many schools. East is loose change that has some concerns ( both safety and competition) as they may drop if Chaney starts up again and Lakeside wouldn't even be competitive dropping down two tiers to the White. Then there are the FUTURE considerations as many of the school project big enrollment declines dead ahead. They will become smaller than just a 100 boys difference now. Hard to fit playing two division bigger for many of them. Probably best to blow this thing up and get on with it. Schools themselves will see their way to grouping new leagues together for sizes and competitive reasons.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-28-17, 03:04 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,090
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
I mean yeah. That's a morbid way to say it but I agree.
Been saying it for years. The previous generation of ADs, those that probably played in the 40s and 50s, were afraid of no one, made no excuses and would play anyone at any time.

This current lot probably played in the late 80s and through the 90s when it started to become fashionable to chicken out and run from conference to conference in search of participation trophies and warm fuzzy feelings.

Barf.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-28-17, 03:13 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 3,720
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Been saying it for years. The previous generation of ADs, those that probably played in the 40s and 50s, were afraid of no one, made no excuses and would play anyone at any time.

This current lot probably played in the late 80s and through the 90s when it started to become fashionable to chicken out and run from conference to conference in search of participation trophies and warm fuzzy feelings.

Barf.
The problem was, your season was your 10 game schedule. There wasn't anything more to play. So you put it all on the line every week. Even at the advent of the playoffs, only 12 of roughly 800+ schools qualified, so most still just went with 'play the best schedule you can' and really going 9-1 or 10-0 against a murderers' row schedule was the only way to make the playoffs.

The current setup basically requires finesse, instead of brute strength. Not only do you need to make it 10 weeks with enough points, but healthy enough to go possibly five more. Taking a loss, including a brow-beating loss that is just an L the moment it's scheduled, isn't worth it at all.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-28-17, 04:21 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,772
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Solid point!!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-28-17, 05:39 PM
Worm02 Worm02 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-31-03
Location: Warren, OH
Posts: 6,814
Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto21 View Post
That's exactly what I thought. Boardman and Fitch were the only two teams out of the five that were in the SVC during its heyday. The other three only contributed to its demise, IMHO.
Meanwhile, the other three are the "only" ones with state championships on their resume. Out of the five, the "only" two schools that refuse to play each other are Ursuline & Fitch. They need to hurry up and squash that beef because not only are those kids are getting cheated out of a great rivalry, but the entire Mahoning Valley is missing out on what would be one of the better football conferences in Ohio.

FWIW, word is that in the mid 90's, Canton McKinley almost joined the SVC. It's been said that if that would've happened, Massillon would've came with them. That would've been something else.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-28-17, 05:46 PM
FootballQueen FootballQueen is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-30-05
Location: Falconland
Posts: 1,916
FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm02 View Post

FWIW, word is that in the mid 90's, Canton McKinley almost joined the SVC. It's been said that if that would've happened, Massillon would've came with them. That would've been something else.
Regarding McKinley, yes but for football only.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-28-17, 06:02 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,772
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Someone fill
Me in on the fitch Ursuline beef
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-28-17, 08:17 PM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 3,043
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Harding to the LEL or Fed. Boardman and Fitch back to the Fed. SVC always an option for those 3.

Howland, Poland, Canfield, Louisville, Alliance, Marlington, Ravenna, Kent Roosevelt would be a decent league.

Everyone else could stay in the AAC where it becomes a D IV and lower league primarily.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-28-17, 09:12 PM
Struthersfan Struthersfan is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 08-20-11
Location: San Jacinto, California
Posts: 2,442
Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Harding to the LEL or Fed. Boardman and Fitch back to the Fed. SVC always an option for those 3.

Howland, Poland, Canfield, Louisville, Alliance, Marlington, Ravenna, Kent Roosevelt would be a decent league.

Everyone else could stay in the AAC where it becomes a D IV and lower league primarily.

Your proposal would work for all parties. Especially like the Howland/Canfield league. A lot of those teams already play in football and basketball.

I could see both the Falcons and Spartans back in the FED. Aside from the hour+ drives, it was a good fit for everyone in the FED.

If the AAC should implode, these suggestions would really be great options for most teams.

Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-29-17, 08:22 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,090
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
The problem was, your season was your 10 game schedule. There wasn't anything more to play. So you put it all on the line every week. Even at the advent of the playoffs, only 12 of roughly 800+ schools qualified, so most still just went with 'play the best schedule you can' and really going 9-1 or 10-0 against a murderers' row schedule was the only way to make the playoffs.

The current setup basically requires finesse, instead of brute strength. Not only do you need to make it 10 weeks with enough points, but healthy enough to go possibly five more. Taking a loss, including a brow-beating loss that is just an L the moment it's scheduled, isn't worth it at all.
I agree but I think that thinking is flawed.

All this rearranging, dodging, hiding behind a 'make the playoffs' philosophy has done exactly what good for the teams that have decided to go down that road?

How many titles do those teams have during the playoff era? Any? Struthers? Hubbard? Howland? Canfield? None that I know of.

The truth is that the teams are going to make runs and win titles have done so and are doing so.

The others are just rearranging deck chairs.

Has scheduling the Collinwoods and Kenmores of the world helped Hubbard go anywhere? Has refusing to play Mooney done anything for Canfield? How about all the complaining from the coach at Struthers? Howland?

Actually, strike Howland. When they were at their peak they put Harding on the schedule. Much more ballsy than any of the other schools have done combined.

If I were a kid at one of those schools, I would rather play the locals that their ADs and coaching staffs are hiding from rather than some city school from Akron or Cleveland. No matter the playoff implications. Play Mooney or Kenmore? Ursuline or Collinwood? Schedule Harding or hide in the weeds?

Ask the kids to fill in the schedule. They're not putting East tech or Akron North on there. I'm sure they wanna test themselves against the best.

Personally, I would be appalled if my teams coach made such a decision.

It would be interesting to see what kind of schedules these ADs and coaches would put together if everyone got in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-29-17, 10:08 AM
Spartan0505 Spartan0505 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-07
Posts: 2,266
Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Yep. Maybe if Struthers and Hubbard played a tougher schedule, they would go farther in the playoffs... ? That's why I like what Boardman is doing these last couple years. You're not going to have a great team every year, just the way it is. But Mooney, Ursuline, Harding, Big Red, etc are all on the schedule year after year. Even when Boardman has dropped to D2 and lose kids every year to other schools.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 04-29-17, 10:14 AM
Paladin1aa Paladin1aa is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-16-06
Location: Mahoning Valley
Posts: 941
Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Howland ? Guts with scheduling ? Please!!!! Howland waited until Harding was down and then stepped up to the plate with several D-I athletes on their team. Before that they were nowhere to be seen playing Harding, running every time Harding called for a game. Instead, Howland was playing Canadian teams or inner city schools.

The premise is correct -- teams are scheduling to try to make the playoffs. Period
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-29-17, 10:22 AM
smartestdumbguy01 smartestdumbguy01 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-12-07
Posts: 875
smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with paladin...goal is to qualify for playoffs. Once you build a program that is able to consistently do that then I believe you can focus on the next step.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-29-17, 10:37 AM
bulldog1974 bulldog1974 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-06-07
Posts: 2,104
bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestdumbguy01 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with paladin...goal is to qualify for playoffs. Once you build a program that is able to consistently do that then I believe you can focus on the next step.
Next step is what Crestview wanted and got, now they quite possibly are in over their heads thanks to their open enrollment. Be careful what you wish for.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-29-17, 10:45 AM
sportster4321 sportster4321 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-11-12
Posts: 1,807
sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Yep. Maybe if Struthers and Hubbard played a tougher schedule, they would go farther in the playoffs... ? That's why I like what Boardman is doing these last couple years. You're not going to have a great team every year, just the way it is. But Mooney, Ursuline, Harding, Big Red, etc are all on the schedule year after year. Even when Boardman has dropped to D2 and lose kids every year to other schools.
I agree. As a die hard Hubbard fan, maybe a better schedule would have already brought a title home. We obviously have the talent every year. Besides scheduling I think depth hurts a lot of teams in our area. In the playoffs schools are dressing 80+ with talent on the bench. How many schools in our area are doing this on a regular basis? Money, Ursuline, have dropped off a bit from the early 2000 dominance. Boardman operates like a D3/D4 team anymore. Maybe austintown? The area is shrinking. Balance is going away. Who knows what the landscape will look like in 10 more years. I know it's only going to get worse.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-29-17, 10:48 AM
sportster4321 sportster4321 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-11-12
Posts: 1,807
sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
I too agree with paladin. Howland cherry picked Harding when they were at a low. Now that the tables turned, the Tigers can't get away from the Raiders fast enough.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-29-17, 10:55 AM
Worm02 Worm02 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-31-03
Location: Warren, OH
Posts: 6,814
Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
Howland ? Guts with scheduling ? Please!!!! Howland waited until Harding was down and then stepped up to the plate with several D-I athletes on their team. Before that they were nowhere to be seen playing Harding, running every time Harding called for a game. Instead, Howland was playing Canadian teams or inner city schools.

The premise is correct -- teams are scheduling to try to make the playoffs. Period
1998- WGH 62, Howland 0

After this, these two did play against until 2010. Personally, I think that decision was very premature. The city of Warren was deep with talent in the early 2000's and the Tigers benefited greatly. They had Doug Datish, Tony Davis, Maurice Smith, Brandon Alexander, etc. and were making solid appearances in the Division 2 playoffs. Continuing the series with WGH would've been great for not only them, but the area as well.

Deveon Smith, who will hopefully get selected in the NFL Draft today, did very well against WGH earlier this decade. Who's to say that the aforementioned players, Tyler Scott, or anybody else couldn't have done the same thing? We'll never know. In fact, I'm surprised that Howland cancelled the series again before Samari Dean's senior year. He was solid against WGH in week 10.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
I too agree with paladin. Howland cherry picked Harding when they were at a low. Now that the tables turned, the Tigers can't get away from the Raiders fast enough.
I wouldn't say that WGH was "at a low" in 2010 (made playoffs). As mentioned above, the series returning had more to do with Deveon Smith being at Howland.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-29-17, 11:18 AM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,772
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Yep. Maybe if Struthers and Hubbard played a tougher schedule, they would go farther in the playoffs... ? That's why I like what Boardman is doing these last couple years. You're not going to have a great team every year, just the way it is. But Mooney, Ursuline, Harding, Big Red, etc are all on the schedule year after year. Even when Boardman has dropped to D2 and lose kids every year to other schools.
Does Boardman get far in the playoffs ever?
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-29-17, 11:20 AM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,772
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Howland has guts with their schedule? LAUGHABLE. This is a program that consistently plays smaller schools, goes 10-0, 9-1 and loses in the first round of the playoffs. Give me a break.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-29-17, 11:24 AM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,772
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Listen. If you play a meat grinder schedule and go 2-8 you look dumb. Especially if there's teams in your region that are 7-3 in the playoffs with less talent than you.


If people would schedule mooney around here they would play them in a heartbeat. They don't schedule like that because they want to, it's because they have to. Everyone knows that.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-29-17, 01:30 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,090
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
Howland ? Guts with scheduling ? Please!!!! Howland waited until Harding was down and then stepped up to the plate with several D-I athletes on their team. Before that they were nowhere to be seen playing Harding, running every time Harding called for a game. Instead, Howland was playing Canadian teams or inner city schools.

The premise is correct -- teams are scheduling to try to make the playoffs. Period
Hey Hubbard could have done the same thing with probably their best team ever.... but they didn't.

So could some others. But they don't.

Not saying howland is one to reach for the stars, but they at least played Harding AND agreed to play them several more times. Not just once.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guns Save Lives! lotr10 Debate Forum 57 02-15-16 12:06 PM
Bill Nye to NASCAR: Go Electric and Save the World Yappi General Board 13 01-31-16 03:58 AM
AAC Tiers Jtown5 Football 3 09-03-15 10:32 AM
Save Cleveland State Wrestling - T-shirts Available Sid's Dad Wrestling 9 04-14-15 09:31 AM
Idea to save D1 college wrestling. kbiz Wrestling 8 09-17-14 11:44 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz