Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-27-17, 10:06 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto21 View Post
What SVC are referring to? By that I mean the teams in it.
Boardman, Fitch, Mooney, Ursuline, Harding.
Old 04-28-17, 08:46 AM
All District

Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
Struthers Poland Lakeview Girard want no part of Howland Canfield in the tier, and yes that is true. Theyre threatening to blow up this league over it. Struthers Poland I really don't get it, Struthers already plays Canfield why would they want to blow a tier over it. Poland really? What I find amazing is the league threatened Campbell with being voted out if they don't play a 2 Division higher Struthers team (all coordinated by Struthers and Poland by the way) and now the same two teams are throwing a fit about Having to play Canfield and Howland!? You both play Canfield already. Very typical of Struthers and Poland to blow up a league when they don't get their way through. I'm speaking to the administration of these districts I don't believe for a min any of the Struthers guys on here have any problem playing those schools.
Old 04-28-17, 09:56 AM
All World

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Eventually these people will leave the admin roles.......
Old 04-28-17, 09:57 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Boardman, Fitch, Mooney, Ursuline, Harding.
So the worst time of the SVC? lol
Old 04-28-17, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Eventually these people will leave the admin roles.......
They need to die. A whole generation of folks around here will need to die for any of this to make sense.

until then, they will live and make decisions based on personal agendas and general lack of common sense.
Old 04-28-17, 10:56 AM
All World

I mean yeah. That's a morbid way to say it but I agree.
Old 04-28-17, 11:16 AM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1 View Post
Struthers Poland Lakeview Girard want no part of Howland Canfield in the tier, and yes that is true. Theyre threatening to blow up this league over it. Struthers Poland I really don't get it, Struthers already plays Canfield why would they want to blow a tier over it. Poland really? What I find amazing is the league threatened Campbell with being voted out if they don't play a 2 Division higher Struthers team (all coordinated by Struthers and Poland by the way) and now the same two teams are throwing a fit about Having to play Canfield and Howland!? You both play Canfield already. Very typical of Struthers and Poland to blow up a league when they don't get their way through. I'm speaking to the administration of these districts I don't believe for a min any of the Struthers guys on here have any problem playing those schools.
Agreed....where is the commissioner on this issue? Isn't that his job? Solve some problems or step aside so that the league can get someone who can figure this all out.

There is a large spread in D3 and I get why a Canfield at 361 and Howland at 354 don't work for struthers at 243 or Lakeview at 235....however the problem you get is that all schools vote on the tier structure. If they took just a vote of the middle tier then it would fail miserably...why should Champion and NF vote on who Struthers and Lakeview play? Again comes down to leadership...fix the problem and move forward.

Keep bottom tier the same. I personally think that some of those smaller (D5/D6) schools in AAC should of got WR, McDonald or some of those Columbiana County schools like EP or Columbiana and made a heck of a league but everyone wants to be top dog and I understand that.

Tell Canfield and Howland they can play up in league or leave because they are the minority. Get two schools Salem, WB, SR, Crestview, whoever...to fill in that void in the middle and call it a day.

This can actually be put into action. Does the SVC make sense...absolutely, however that ain't going happen anytime soon. Does Canfield and Howland get a crappy deal...yes...but what are you going to do. Your the only two schools who are 100 boys bigger than a bunch of schools but yet a 100 boys smaller than a bunch of schools.
Old 04-28-17, 11:53 AM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
not a tier fan

I can't believe how some schools want to posture and not play others schools.

but then turn around and expect certain schools with lower enrollment to be agreeable to play. Do they think others do not notice the hypocrisy of their actions or do they just not care.

I know there is enrollment discrepency in divisions. But if you are D3 then you are D3 and have to be ready to play and beat other D3 schools in the playoffs....unless you are not counting on going to the playoffs.

I would be super shocked if Salem SR or WB even act like they are interested in anything other than what they just set up.
Old 04-28-17, 01:10 PM
All Ohio

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
So the worst time of the SVC? lol
That's exactly what I thought. Boardman and Fitch were the only two teams out of the five that were in the SVC during its heyday. The other three only contributed to its demise, IMHO.
Old 04-28-17, 01:18 PM
All Ohio

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
The Commish is a former Lakeview assist. coach who went on to coach at Howland. He has spent too much time trying to mollify some crybabies, namely Howland and Canfield. He also got leveraged a few years back to mollify both Poland and Niles to give them a shot at competing for TWO titles as they didn't expect to win the tier with Howland and canfield . This did not set well with many schools. East is loose change that has some concerns ( both safety and competition) as they may drop if Chaney starts up again and Lakeside wouldn't even be competitive dropping down two tiers to the White. Then there are the FUTURE considerations as many of the school project big enrollment declines dead ahead. They will become smaller than just a 100 boys difference now. Hard to fit playing two division bigger for many of them. Probably best to blow this thing up and get on with it. Schools themselves will see their way to grouping new leagues together for sizes and competitive reasons.
Old 04-28-17, 03:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I mean yeah. That's a morbid way to say it but I agree.
Been saying it for years. The previous generation of ADs, those that probably played in the 40s and 50s, were afraid of no one, made no excuses and would play anyone at any time.

This current lot probably played in the late 80s and through the 90s when it started to become fashionable to chicken out and run from conference to conference in search of participation trophies and warm fuzzy feelings.

Barf.
Old 04-28-17, 03:13 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Been saying it for years. The previous generation of ADs, those that probably played in the 40s and 50s, were afraid of no one, made no excuses and would play anyone at any time.

This current lot probably played in the late 80s and through the 90s when it started to become fashionable to chicken out and run from conference to conference in search of participation trophies and warm fuzzy feelings.

Barf.
The problem was, your season was your 10 game schedule. There wasn't anything more to play. So you put it all on the line every week. Even at the advent of the playoffs, only 12 of roughly 800+ schools qualified, so most still just went with 'play the best schedule you can' and really going 9-1 or 10-0 against a murderers' row schedule was the only way to make the playoffs.

The current setup basically requires finesse, instead of brute strength. Not only do you need to make it 10 weeks with enough points, but healthy enough to go possibly five more. Taking a loss, including a brow-beating loss that is just an L the moment it's scheduled, isn't worth it at all.
Old 04-28-17, 04:21 PM
All World

Solid point!!
Old 04-28-17, 05:39 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto21 View Post
That's exactly what I thought. Boardman and Fitch were the only two teams out of the five that were in the SVC during its heyday. The other three only contributed to its demise, IMHO.
Meanwhile, the other three are the "only" ones with state championships on their resume. Out of the five, the "only" two schools that refuse to play each other are Ursuline & Fitch. They need to hurry up and squash that beef because not only are those kids are getting cheated out of a great rivalry, but the entire Mahoning Valley is missing out on what would be one of the better football conferences in Ohio.

FWIW, word is that in the mid 90's, Canton McKinley almost joined the SVC. It's been said that if that would've happened, Massillon would've came with them. That would've been something else.
Old 04-28-17, 05:46 PM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm02 View Post

FWIW, word is that in the mid 90's, Canton McKinley almost joined the SVC. It's been said that if that would've happened, Massillon would've came with them. That would've been something else.
Regarding McKinley, yes but for football only.
Old 04-28-17, 06:02 PM
All World

Someone fill
Me in on the fitch Ursuline beef
Old 04-28-17, 08:17 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Harding to the LEL or Fed. Boardman and Fitch back to the Fed. SVC always an option for those 3.

Howland, Poland, Canfield, Louisville, Alliance, Marlington, Ravenna, Kent Roosevelt would be a decent league.

Everyone else could stay in the AAC where it becomes a D IV and lower league primarily.
Old 04-28-17, 09:12 PM
All American

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Harding to the LEL or Fed. Boardman and Fitch back to the Fed. SVC always an option for those 3.

Howland, Poland, Canfield, Louisville, Alliance, Marlington, Ravenna, Kent Roosevelt would be a decent league.

Everyone else could stay in the AAC where it becomes a D IV and lower league primarily.

Your proposal would work for all parties. Especially like the Howland/Canfield league. A lot of those teams already play in football and basketball.

I could see both the Falcons and Spartans back in the FED. Aside from the hour+ drives, it was a good fit for everyone in the FED.

If the AAC should implode, these suggestions would really be great options for most teams.

Old 04-29-17, 08:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
The problem was, your season was your 10 game schedule. There wasn't anything more to play. So you put it all on the line every week. Even at the advent of the playoffs, only 12 of roughly 800+ schools qualified, so most still just went with 'play the best schedule you can' and really going 9-1 or 10-0 against a murderers' row schedule was the only way to make the playoffs.

The current setup basically requires finesse, instead of brute strength. Not only do you need to make it 10 weeks with enough points, but healthy enough to go possibly five more. Taking a loss, including a brow-beating loss that is just an L the moment it's scheduled, isn't worth it at all.
I agree but I think that thinking is flawed.

All this rearranging, dodging, hiding behind a 'make the playoffs' philosophy has done exactly what good for the teams that have decided to go down that road?

How many titles do those teams have during the playoff era? Any? Struthers? Hubbard? Howland? Canfield? None that I know of.

The truth is that the teams are going to make runs and win titles have done so and are doing so.

The others are just rearranging deck chairs.

Has scheduling the Collinwoods and Kenmores of the world helped Hubbard go anywhere? Has refusing to play Mooney done anything for Canfield? How about all the complaining from the coach at Struthers? Howland?

Actually, strike Howland. When they were at their peak they put Harding on the schedule. Much more ballsy than any of the other schools have done combined.

If I were a kid at one of those schools, I would rather play the locals that their ADs and coaching staffs are hiding from rather than some city school from Akron or Cleveland. No matter the playoff implications. Play Mooney or Kenmore? Ursuline or Collinwood? Schedule Harding or hide in the weeds?

Ask the kids to fill in the schedule. They're not putting East tech or Akron North on there. I'm sure they wanna test themselves against the best.

Personally, I would be appalled if my teams coach made such a decision.

It would be interesting to see what kind of schedules these ADs and coaches would put together if everyone got in the playoffs.
Old 04-29-17, 10:08 AM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Yep. Maybe if Struthers and Hubbard played a tougher schedule, they would go farther in the playoffs... ? That's why I like what Boardman is doing these last couple years. You're not going to have a great team every year, just the way it is. But Mooney, Ursuline, Harding, Big Red, etc are all on the schedule year after year. Even when Boardman has dropped to D2 and lose kids every year to other schools.
Old 04-29-17, 10:14 AM
All Ohio

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Howland ? Guts with scheduling ? Please!!!! Howland waited until Harding was down and then stepped up to the plate with several D-I athletes on their team. Before that they were nowhere to be seen playing Harding, running every time Harding called for a game. Instead, Howland was playing Canadian teams or inner city schools.

The premise is correct -- teams are scheduling to try to make the playoffs. Period
Old 04-29-17, 10:22 AM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with paladin...goal is to qualify for playoffs. Once you build a program that is able to consistently do that then I believe you can focus on the next step.
Old 04-29-17, 10:37 AM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestdumbguy01 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with paladin...goal is to qualify for playoffs. Once you build a program that is able to consistently do that then I believe you can focus on the next step.
Next step is what Crestview wanted and got, now they quite possibly are in over their heads thanks to their open enrollment. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 04-29-17, 10:45 AM
All American

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Yep. Maybe if Struthers and Hubbard played a tougher schedule, they would go farther in the playoffs... ? That's why I like what Boardman is doing these last couple years. You're not going to have a great team every year, just the way it is. But Mooney, Ursuline, Harding, Big Red, etc are all on the schedule year after year. Even when Boardman has dropped to D2 and lose kids every year to other schools.
I agree. As a die hard Hubbard fan, maybe a better schedule would have already brought a title home. We obviously have the talent every year. Besides scheduling I think depth hurts a lot of teams in our area. In the playoffs schools are dressing 80+ with talent on the bench. How many schools in our area are doing this on a regular basis? Money, Ursuline, have dropped off a bit from the early 2000 dominance. Boardman operates like a D3/D4 team anymore. Maybe austintown? The area is shrinking. Balance is going away. Who knows what the landscape will look like in 10 more years. I know it's only going to get worse.
Old 04-29-17, 10:48 AM
All American

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
I too agree with paladin. Howland cherry picked Harding when they were at a low. Now that the tables turned, the Tigers can't get away from the Raiders fast enough.
Old 04-29-17, 10:55 AM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
Howland ? Guts with scheduling ? Please!!!! Howland waited until Harding was down and then stepped up to the plate with several D-I athletes on their team. Before that they were nowhere to be seen playing Harding, running every time Harding called for a game. Instead, Howland was playing Canadian teams or inner city schools.

The premise is correct -- teams are scheduling to try to make the playoffs. Period
1998- WGH 62, Howland 0

After this, these two did play against until 2010. Personally, I think that decision was very premature. The city of Warren was deep with talent in the early 2000's and the Tigers benefited greatly. They had Doug Datish, Tony Davis, Maurice Smith, Brandon Alexander, etc. and were making solid appearances in the Division 2 playoffs. Continuing the series with WGH would've been great for not only them, but the area as well.

Deveon Smith, who will hopefully get selected in the NFL Draft today, did very well against WGH earlier this decade. Who's to say that the aforementioned players, Tyler Scott, or anybody else couldn't have done the same thing? We'll never know. In fact, I'm surprised that Howland cancelled the series again before Samari Dean's senior year. He was solid against WGH in week 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
I too agree with paladin. Howland cherry picked Harding when they were at a low. Now that the tables turned, the Tigers can't get away from the Raiders fast enough.
I wouldn't say that WGH was "at a low" in 2010 (made playoffs). As mentioned above, the series returning had more to do with Deveon Smith being at Howland.
Old 04-29-17, 11:18 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Does Boardman get far in the playoffs ever?
Old 04-29-17, 11:20 AM
All World

Howland has guts with their schedule? LAUGHABLE. This is a program that consistently plays smaller schools, goes 10-0, 9-1 and loses in the first round of the playoffs. Give me a break.
Old 04-29-17, 11:24 AM
All World

Listen. If you play a meat grinder schedule and go 2-8 you look dumb. Especially if there's teams in your region that are 7-3 in the playoffs with less talent than you.

If people would schedule mooney around here they would play them in a heartbeat. They don't schedule like that because they want to, it's because they have to. Everyone knows that.
Old 04-29-17, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post

Hey Hubbard could have done the same thing with probably their best team ever.... but they didn't.

So could some others. But they don't.

Not saying howland is one to reach for the stars, but they at least played Harding AND agreed to play them several more times. Not just once.