Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-27-17, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
FWIW the SVC is already sort of in existence. Are there any sports in which Mooney, Boardman, Harding, Ursuline, and Fitch aren't playing each other? All I can think of is Ursuline-Fitch in football. Boardman plays Mooney twice in basketball and basically every sport in existence. Until now, I felt that the SVC really isn't needed if Boardman and the others can just schedule the games out of league play. Boardman will still need games even in an SVC set up. I always felt that having a leage like the Fed where the games were distant but all you had to fill were local games was an easier thing than vice versa. Who knows what's going to happen though.
All the reason more to make things right
Old 04-27-17, 09:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto21 View Post
If you remember the SVC was a hard fought conference with everybody having a decent chance until the two privates joined and caused the end of the league with schools leaving. The privates were not a part of the SVC when it was the strongest league around.
I'm only 41, so no.
Old 04-27-17, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That would be psychotic.

While teams jumping ship, in search of "better fits" and whatnot, has been going on for our lifetimes, I don't see it as a problem. At least not a problem that need solving.
Nah

it makes total sense. especially with the musical chairs going on around most of the state.
Old 04-27-17, 10:15 AM
All World

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
I feel like as long as struthers - Hubbard size schools stay together we'll be fine
Old 04-27-17, 10:21 AM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
with ITCL - crestview and south range were left out - south range found a new home with former NBC

So after the NBC deal - there sits Louisville, now you have Louisville and Columbiana Crestview indy and looking.

Salem isn't going to jump anywhere - they play lower divisions in OOC and just bumped a D3 out to replace with a D5, so to think they would jump to anything where there are D3 schools is funny. I could see how SR, WB, Salem will push for adding Crestview and dumping either Marlington or canton south(furthest drive)

AAC folk here is my question - who are the groupings, meaning who are the schools that tend to vote and stay together and who are the schools people are pushing away from

it sounds to me that Canfield is a school that others are pushing from and I would ask why as I don't understand.

Does Crestview - or Louisville play into any possible talks of a new league ( which I doubt but does make sense when schools are disgruntled and want to form a new deal to look at any indys in the area that are public)
Old 04-27-17, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit22 View Post
with ITCL - crestview and south range were left out - south range found a new home with former NBC

So after the NBC deal - there sits Louisville, now you have Louisville and Columbiana Crestview indy and looking.

Salem isn't going to jump anywhere - they play lower divisions in OOC and just bumped a D3 out to replace with a D5, so to think they would jump to anything where there are D3 schools is funny. I could see how SR, WB, Salem will push for adding Crestview and dumping either Marlington or canton south(furthest drive)

AAC folk here is my question - who are the groupings, meaning who are the schools that tend to vote and stay together and who are the schools people are pushing away from

it sounds to me that Canfield is a school that others are pushing from and I would ask why as I don't understand.

Does Crestview - or Louisville play into any possible talks of a new league ( which I doubt but does make sense when schools are disgruntled and want to form a new deal to look at any indys in the area that are public)
And this is why the state should step in and tell all these crybabies what to do.

This conference hopping over the last 20 years or so is getting out of hand.
Old 04-27-17, 10:34 AM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
If those teams are getting together and forming their own league which it looks as though they are...it makes perfect sense for Salem to listen to their pitch. Remember, at the time most of the Salem coaches opposed moving from AAC to the NBC, so I think there will be support within that district/community to revisit some local rivalries as long as WB is in the picture as well.

Heck, maybe those schools reach out to SR and Crestview and bring them in because I don't think that is too far fetched either. The league's commissioner is a Howland guy and the league has always bent over backwards to appease certain schools and it is biting them in the rear end now.
Old 04-27-17, 10:43 AM
All Region

Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestdumbguy01 View Post
If those teams are getting together and forming their own league which it looks as though they are...it makes perfect sense for Salem to listen to their pitch. Remember, at the time most of the Salem coaches opposed moving from AAC to the NBC, so I think there will be support within that district/community to revisit some local rivalries as long as WB is in the picture as well.

Heck, maybe those schools reach out to SR and Crestview and bring them in because I don't think that is too far fetched either. The league's commissioner is a Howland guy and the league has always bent over backwards to appease certain schools and it is biting them in the rear end now.
The NBC or EBC whatever its going to be called after Louisville departs will fall apart in the next 5 years. I feel like Marlington and Alliance will become the big dogs in the the new EBC. West Branch/Salem/South Range will want to go to the AAC, Minerva/Carrollton will likely want to go south to the IVC/ECOL. Thus this leaves Marlington, Alliance, and Canton South. Canton South has vein trying to get into the PAC, a league that should have taken them instead of Loudonville. So whats left is Marlington and Alliance.
Old 04-27-17, 11:15 AM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
If we're talking future, I could see the blue tier booting Jefferson and Edgewood, adding Girard and Lakeview and forming their own 8 team league.
Old 04-27-17, 11:18 AM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
East, WGH, Boardman, and Fitch will continue to play each other and have a pseudo league no matter amongst themselves - don't see many schools stepping up to join them.

the other two tiers are full with 8 each and that can be leagues, what I was looking for was geography likeness and relationships. When ITCL broke up it was a quick turn around for the two new leagues to form, are those little formations already happening?

and stack attack - WB SR and Salem could get with Crestview and say who wants to join us rather than them looking to join anyone. Then again does the EBC fold? Seems to me everyone is so happy now they only have to play Louisville one more year, but with crestview sitting right there, when does Alliance and or Marlington become "just too big" or "too good" to stay and the schools that did it once do it again to get smaller schools they can beat in basically what just happened. There is a voting block of 3 and I am sure shrinking minerva would be all about adding in another school smaller or actually their size.
Old 04-27-17, 11:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
If we're talking future, I could see the blue tier booting Jefferson and Edgewood, adding Girard and Lakeview and forming their own 8 team league.
Doubtful...better chance of a few of those schools looking to portage/geagua county for a league. The only positive is geography which is usually the last thing that any school district considers.
Old 04-27-17, 11:35 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestdumbguy01 View Post
Doubtful...better chance of a few of those schools looking to portage/geagua county for a league. The only positive is geography which is usually the last thing that any school district considers.
Newton Falls would be the one that I'm not sure of going for that. They should've tried getting into the MVAC instead of Waterloo. Campbell I guess too, but they don't have much options. Girard, Lakwview, Champion, Labrae, Brookfield, Liberty make sense if they're forming new leagues
Old 04-27-17, 11:48 AM
All World

Basically the tac 8 sans Hubbard. Lol
Old 04-27-17, 11:52 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Fitch wants nothing to do with Ursuline. The catholics will never be in the top tier.
Old 04-27-17, 11:53 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Yep, that's the thinking. Just like how the itcl formed 2 league similar to the old tcl and icl minus SR and crestview.
Old 04-27-17, 11:59 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Yes. NF is good in most sports, with the exception being football, so when they tried getting in smaller leagues like the NAC, those schools weren't thrilled with the idea of bringing a team in who will win 6 sports. NF got a league exemption from playing Brookfield in their tier...which is crazy...so you have to think their talking heads aren't very happy with league realignment.
Old 04-27-17, 01:21 PM
All World

Brookfield isn't a power house lol that is INSANE. NF should just drop football.
Old 04-27-17, 02:39 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Boardman should find away to switch geographical locations with Louisville!...lol
Old 04-27-17, 03:02 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Newton Falls should have applied to PORTAGE county division. Right sjze, good location and Superintendent former PORTAGE guy.
Old 04-27-17, 03:10 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
The problem is based on demographics and school size Boardman would be better off in the Fed and Canfield, Poland, and Howland would be better off in a league with schools like Louisville. It's just that all those schools are an hour-plus away.

Boardman gets absolutely nothing out of playing East. Jackson and Perry bring more fans. I'd rather dump them from the schedule if it meant joining another league. Boardman would be better off playing 7 fed schools and Mooney, Fitch, and Ursuline/Harding. If Boardman, Fitch, and Harding got added to the Fed you could have a rotating 10 team league schedule and the league would be able to do one-time round robin for the other sports which frees up plenty of opportunities for local games. Call me crazy, but Boardman had ideal scheduling when in the Fed with Fitch. There were only 3-4 Fed trips a season for sports like basketball and 3/5 of the schedule was area teams. The AAC is just too unstable and the problem is there isn't a sweet spot of local competition and fair/equitable scheduling.
Old 04-27-17, 03:15 PM
All American

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Still not sure why teams want away from Canfield and Howland. Canfields been down for years now minus a decent year last year that still seen them miss the playoffs. Middle of the road AAC team. I don't believe Hubbard wants Howland and Canfield gone. Who cares about enrollment! Howland dressed what? 42 kids last year? Still not making sense. If these were two teams that have dominated or even had the slightest bit of success in the past 5-6 years, it'd be different.
Old 04-27-17, 03:22 PM
All American

Quote:
The problem is based on demographics and school size Boardman would be better off in the Fed and Canfield, Poland, and Howland would be better off in a league with schools like Louisville. It's just that all those schools are an hour-plus away.

Boardman gets absolutely nothing out of playing East. Jackson and Perry bring more fans. I'd rather dump them from the schedule if it meant joining another league. Boardman would be better off playing 7 fed schools and Mooney, Fitch, and Ursuline/Harding. If Boardman, Fitch, and Harding got added to the Fed you could have a rotating 10 team league schedule and the league would be able to do one-time round robin for the other sports which frees up plenty of opportunities for local games. Call me crazy, but Boardman had ideal scheduling when in the Fed with Fitch. There were only 3-4 Fed trips a season for sports like basketball and 3/5 of the schedule was area teams. The AAC is just too unstable and the problem is there isn't a sweet spot of local competition and fair/equitable scheduling.
I thought you would like the comment with geographical area...lol. I actually think if it was just Boardman coming back to the Fed it would work. Boardman would be the one to do most of the driving and the Fed football teams would only go to Youngstown once every other year...and with the new stadium...that would work. Most of the grumbling over here was going over their twice. Lake had the schedule where they did it twice in one year and not the next...still it was close to one in the morning when got back and organizing for the next week game.
Old 04-27-17, 03:52 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
I thought you would like the comment with geographical area...lol. I actually think if it was just Boardman coming back to the Fed it would work. Boardman would be the one to do most of the driving and the Fed football teams would only go to Youngstown once every other year...and with the new stadium...that would work. Most of the grumbling over here was going over their twice. Lake had the schedule where they did it twice in one year and not the next...still it was close to one in the morning when got back and organizing for the next week game.
Fitch leaving really screwed us over because after Fitch left the Fed went back to home-and-away format for all sports. Instead of 3-4 trips to Stark County it meant 7. It also meant more games devoted to league opponents which limited our flexibility scheduling local opponents. Going back to the Fed would be extremely unpopular here, but from a school and community standpoint I think Boardman liked dealing with the other schools and vice versa. Of course if the Fed had 8 it could go back to the old format.

FWIW I think a league is better than an unstable league or no league, and that Boardman could still get it's local slate filled adequately if they played in the Federal League with a 1x round robin format.

It's been interesting watching Louisville go through much of the same thing we have been dealing with, that's for sure.
Old 04-27-17, 03:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Fitch leaving really screwed us over because after Fitch left the Fed went back to home-and-away format for all sports. Instead of 3-4 trips to Stark County it meant 7. It also meant more games devoted to league opponents which limited our flexibility scheduling local opponents. Going back to the Fed would be extremely unpopular here, but from a school and community standpoint I think Boardman liked dealing with the other schools and vice versa. Of course if the Fed had 8 it could go back to the old format.

It's been interesting watching Louisville go through much of the same thing we have been dealing with, that's for sure.
Yes they would but I did enjoy the Boardman games...always a close game and the home team usually lost...lol. I liked your old Stadium...except the year the fans kept closing the windows..lol. I actually don't know what your area does for League issues. The population changes over the last 30 years have really changed things.
Old 04-27-17, 04:07 PM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
I would rather see Salem in a Y-town area league instead of the NBC. But now that South Range will be replacing Louisville in the NBC, I think Salem will be happy there for a while. But you never know; if Struthers and some others came calling the temptation to jump ship could be there. For now, it seems that Salem can fill out a schedule fairly easily.
Salem could have been and should have been in the ITCL Red Tier, but it never happened. That might have saved the ITCL for another year or two. Then again, Salem had a very tough loss to Red Tier D5 EP last season and had a loss or two to D6 United. Maybe Salem should look to the EOAC?
Old 04-27-17, 05:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Yes they would but I did enjoy the Boardman games...always a close game and the home team usually lost...lol. I liked your old Stadium...except the year the fans kept closing the windows..lol. I actually don't know what your area does for League issues. The population changes over the last 30 years have really changed things.
Those games were fun and usually close. Lake's stadium will always be my favorite. Would love to have an excuse to get back over there for a game...From 04-09 the home team lost every game in the series lol. Anyways the population shift has really hurt the Mahoning/Stark areas except for Jackson it seems. I have a friend that lives in the Green area and every time I'm there I have a hard time believing it's a D2 school. It has built up in much the same vain Boardman did in the late 80s in terms of commercial investment, etc. Perhaps just an older population. And it seems that Lake leveled off as well. For awhile I though you guys were gonna skyrocket into D1 for football. Of course the 7th division nixed a lot of that but the raw numbers in most places have trended downward.

Here in Mahoning county, it's hard to believe but Poland is now D4 and basically the same size as many of the schools that want to avoid it. Politics and demographic change is a toxic mix...
Old 04-27-17, 05:46 PM
All World

Who is to say Poland isn't complaining? Give me a break.
Poland Struthers and Hubbard will play in the same conference for years to come. It just makes sense. At least those 3.

I don't understand the howland Canfield thing. I really don't.
Old 04-27-17, 06:01 PM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
SVC should get back together but it never will because of politics. So dumb. You took one of our kids! Blah, blah.
Old 04-27-17, 06:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Those games were fun and usually close. Lake's stadium will always be my favorite. Would love to have an excuse to get back over there for a game...From 04-09 the home team lost every game in the series lol. Anyways the population shift has really hurt the Mahoning/Stark areas except for Jackson it seems. I have a friend that lives in the Green area and every time I'm there I have a hard time believing it's a D2 school. It has built up in much the same vain Boardman did in the late 80s in terms of commercial investment, etc. Perhaps just an older population. And it seems that Lake leveled off as well. For awhile I though you guys were gonna skyrocket into D1 for football. Of course the 7th division nixed a lot of that but the raw numbers in most places have trended downward.

Here in Mahoning county, it's hard to believe but Poland is now D4 and basically the same size as many of the schools that want to avoid it. Politics and demographic change is a toxic mix...
Actually Green is projected to be the size of Jackson in the next couple of years. You are seeing them grow. Lake is actually smaller then 1991 by 75 boys. The Lake area people move out there and stay...kids graduate, parents stay. The Louisville area is having the same issue...sounds very much like the Youngstown area.
Old 04-27-17, 06:51 PM
All Ohio

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
SVC should get back together but it never will because of politics. So dumb. You took one of our kids! Blah, blah.
What SVC are referring to? By that I mean the teams in it.