Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-26-17, 01:52 PM
All World

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Did the AAC just save itself ?

Today the aac voted to make the conference 3 divisions with no crossover games. This is going to go a long way with certain schools to make them happy.

RED TIER
FITCH
BOARDMAN
EAST
HARDING
LAKESIDE

WHITE TIER
STRUTHERS
HOWLAND
CANFIELD
NILES
POLAND
GIRARD
LAKEVIEW
HUBBARD

BLUE TIER
NEWTON FALLS
CHAMPION
EDGEWOOD
JEFFERSON
LIBERTY
BROOKFIELD
LABRAE
CAMPBELL
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-17, 01:53 PM
All World

This starts the 2019-20 year.
Old 04-26-17, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
This starts the 2019-20 year.
Why the big hurry?
Old 04-26-17, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

Will this even be a conference in 2019-2020?

So wait, this means the top tier has 4 conference games?

And no crossovers? Why not just go ahead and add Mooney and Ursuline then?

Seems none of the schools in the white tier will have to play the big, bad, scary, cheating, recruiting private schools if it happens.

Wasn't that always the roadblock to letting them in?
Old 04-26-17, 03:04 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Article says some schools are considering leaving. Wondering if it's the big or smaller schools. Me thinks the bigger ones will want a better league, or at least should. And this doesn't even take into account the potential of Chaney adding sports in the future. Boardman, Harding, and Fitch are going to want out for competitive reasons/lack of games, Lakeside will want out for geographic reasons in addition to losing at everything. And who knows what the middle tier schools want.

FWIW the vote was 11-10. That's a clear indicator of how divided/unstable this league is.
Old 04-26-17, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Article says some schools are considering leaving. Wondering if it's the big or smaller schools. Me thinks the bigger ones will want a better league, or at least should. And this doesn't even take into account the potential of Chaney adding sports in the future. Boardman, Harding, and Fitch are going to want out for competitive reasons/lack of games, Lakeside will want out for geographic reasons in addition to losing at everything. And who knows what the middle tier schools want.
In 2042, when the Steel Valley Conference finally reforms, we'll wonder for the 8 millionth time why it ever broke up in the first place.
Old 04-26-17, 03:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
In 2042, when the Steel Valley Conference finally reforms, we'll wonder for the 8 millionth time why it ever broke up in the first place.

FWIW the SVC is already sort of in existence. Are there any sports in which Mooney, Boardman, Harding, Ursuline, and Fitch aren't playing each other? All I can think of is Ursuline-Fitch in football. Boardman plays Mooney twice in basketball and basically every sport in existence. Until now, I felt that the SVC really isn't needed if Boardman and the others can just schedule the games out of league play. Boardman will still need games even in an SVC set up. I always felt that having a leage like the Fed where the games were distant but all you had to fill were local games was an easier thing than vice versa. Who knows what's going to happen though.
Old 04-26-17, 04:45 PM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
This wont even be a league in the next 2-3 years.
Old 04-26-17, 05:48 PM
All American

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Still locked into 7 games in the white? Allows for 3 OOC? I kind of like it if the ADs at certain schools wake up. Hubbard can play up to 3 playoff teams in conference and schedule 1 of mooney, ursuline out of conference. Add in a out of city team with a good track record and then maybe Howland? Would be a nice schedule. Instead I'm sure we'll see East, Chaney, Senate league. That goes for Struthers, Poland, and Howland as well. Time to step it up.
Old 04-26-17, 05:48 PM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
Struthers, Niles and a few others want away from Howland and canfield. That middle tier wont last...look from them to make a move in the next couple of days if they are going to get out.
Old 04-26-17, 06:14 PM
All Ohio

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
I see problems in all 3 tiers now. None of this makes any sense. Will be interested in seeing who pulls the plug to leave and we will know soon.
Old 04-26-17, 06:43 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
It's times like these where state-mandated leagues starts making a lot more sense.

As for the AAC, as long as they feel a place they can jump to, they'll always be a threat to leave. But, what league? The new MVAC that basically just left the ITCL for the same reason. Couldn't agree on who should or shouldn't be in the league.

The problem is, this isn't an isolated problem to the Mahoning Valley. It's happening every year around the state.
Old 04-26-17, 06:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestdumbguy01 View Post
Struthers, Niles and a few others want away from Howland and canfield. That middle tier wont last...look from them to make a move in the next couple of days if they are going to get out.
Struthers doesn't want away from Canfield or Howland. They beat them both over the last couple of years.
Old 04-26-17, 06:47 PM
All World

I actually enjoy the make up of the white tier. 7 decent conf games and 3 Ooc opportunities.
Old 04-26-17, 06:48 PM
All World

Add the Catholics to the top tier and this is good
Old 04-26-17, 06:52 PM
All World

I would also like to know how every school voted
Old 04-26-17, 07:33 PM
All Ohio

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
If you remember the SVC was a hard fought conference with everybody having a decent chance until the two privates joined and caused the end of the league with schools leaving. The privates were not a part of the SVC when it was the strongest league around.
Old 04-26-17, 07:37 PM
All American

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Care to elaborate why anyone would anyone want away from Howland and Canfield? Sounds like both lose a lot and may be down this year. Just curious.
Old 04-26-17, 08:40 PM
All Ohio

I do think Howland will be down but the point made by those schools was more over enrollment.

Spread...we normally agree but on this one you got bad info my friend. Struthers is very unhappy and there are others. Those schools threatened to break off and grab Salem and WB and do their own thing. I mean who do you think votes no for this?!? Lakeview is upset because they wanted in the lower league but those small schools would rather play Edgewood and Jefferson. At the end of the day if they leave the date in the news is May 1st so it will be quick.
Old 04-26-17, 08:43 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
It's times like these where state-mandated leagues starts making a lot more sense.
That would be psychotic.

While teams jumping ship, in search of "better fits" and whatnot, has been going on for our lifetimes, I don't see it as a problem. At least not a problem that need solving.
Old 04-26-17, 08:54 PM
All World

The problem, it seems, is that the Howlands and Canfields of the world don't want to play up, and everyone below them outside of Poland wants to avoid them. Meanwhile, no one wants to regularly play the top tier schools. It's a giant mess, mostly political. Then you have the Ashtabula schools which really don't fit in.

The best option for the top tier schools is to leave the league and do something with Mooney and Ursuline or join another league with primarly public schools and schedule Mooney+Ursuline consistently. There isn't really an ideal situation.
Old 04-26-17, 08:57 PM
All World

I don't understand how this is so hard to get right.
Old 04-26-17, 09:12 PM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Fitch wants nothing to do with Ursuline. The catholics will never be in the top tier.
Old 04-26-17, 10:41 PM
Junior Varsity

Ytownfootballfan is on a distinguished road
Hearing from a decent source than Canfield wants out. Not sure if anyone has any insights to why that may be?
Old 04-27-17, 12:57 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That would be psychotic.

While teams jumping ship, in search of "better fits" and whatnot, has been going on for our lifetimes, I don't see it as a problem. At least not a problem that need solving.
Yeah. Compared to this it is 'psychotic'. But, most other states seem to have some form of mandatory league/district/conference schedule and alignment. Pennsylvania does it, essentially, in Districts 7 and 10 in western PA. Texas does it.

In PA, District 10 switched from team created leagues, and switched to District-mandated regions. At first, the regions were very similar to the leagues.

Northwest Conference & Erie City schools became Regions 5 and 6 mostly. Erie County League and larger Mercer County Athletic Conference (which had three tiers) became mostly Region 3 and 4. And the smaller MCAC and French Creek Valley Conference became Region 1 and 2, almost along conference lines. 1 & 2 was 1A, 3 and 4 was 2A, and 5/6 was 3A and 4A.

Over years, though, as the teams got larger or smaller (mostly smaller), they only real complaint was when Saegertown got bumped from 1A to 2A, and got put into a league with mostly southern former MCAC teams and got obliterated by them for two years before their cycle put them back into 1A and back into northern small schools.

But, for the most part, all the bickering about who plays who was just over. Your league was chosen for you, and you just played your schedule. You had a little say in non-league, but those games could be whoever you wanted. They also didn't count toward playoff as region seeding was all that mattered.

It's worked for almost a decade. Though, going to 6 classifications messed things up this past year. Throw in losing three football teams (Erie consolidated from 3 schools to 1 and Youngsville co-oping with district sibling Warren), and it still handles things well.

The one thing that made it work was that 50% of the teams made the playoffs. So, fear of missing out on the playoffs wasn't as big a concern as it is in Ohio. Which with Harbins, is the biggest culprit in teams jumping from one league to another or deciding whether to play someone or not play someone.

There is no 'rivals' anymore. Campbell Memorial almost jumped to the ITCL just before it imploded. Having a three-tiered league isn't much different than just having the state mandate a district. If you can be forced up and down and who you play, who cares if it's the state or the league telling you who to play.
Old 04-27-17, 06:55 AM
Varsity

Flying high is on a distinguished road
There is a meeting today and yes lakeview, struthers, hubbard and others do want away from canfield howland regardless of last cpl years results solely based on enrollment. Two schools from other conference in the mix.
Old 04-27-17, 07:14 AM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
As an outsider, I see this going the way of the now defunct ITCL. Gripes, moans and groans are what started the ITCL demise. Two former teams banished for open enrollment accusations and now two new leagues similar in membership of the former TCL and ICL. It's went full circle.
Old 04-27-17, 09:40 AM
All Ohio

This league is done...that is what happens when you make decisions for schools that they disagree with and they have other options.

Smaller tier could possibly stay together but I wouldn't hold my breathe on it. Newton Falls and Champion aren't very good and could be pursuing other avenues as well.

I have no idea what Canfield and Howland will do when they are left in the dust.
Old 04-27-17, 09:44 AM
All Region

Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
The problem, it seems, is that the Howlands and Canfields of the world don't want to play up, and everyone below them outside of Poland wants to avoid them. Meanwhile, no one wants to regularly play the top tier schools. It's a giant mess, mostly political. Then you have the Ashtabula schools which really don't fit in.

The best option for the top tier schools is to leave the league and do something with Mooney and Ursuline or join another league with primarly public schools and schedule Mooney+Ursuline consistently. There isn't really an ideal situation.
This to me is my understanding of the situation. Howland, Canfield, and Poland typically can compete with the big dogs and none of the smaller schools in a year in and year out basis cannot. Yet these schools do not want to play the Boardman and the Fitch's of the world.
Old 04-27-17, 09:51 AM
All Region

peebles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I do think Howland will be down but the point made by those schools was more over enrollment.

Spread...we normally agree but on this one you got bad info my friend. Struthers is very unhappy and there are others. Those schools threatened to break off and grab Salem and WB and do their own thing. I mean who do you think votes no for this?!? Lakeview is upset because they wanted in the lower league but those small schools would rather play Edgewood and Jefferson. At the end of the day if they leave the date in the news is May 1st so it will be quick.
I would rather see Salem in a Y-town area league instead of the NBC. But now that South Range will be replacing Louisville in the NBC, I think Salem will be happy there for a while. But you never know; if Struthers and some others came calling the temptation to jump ship could be there. For now, it seems that Salem can fill out a schedule fairly easily.