Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 03-13-17, 01:03 AM
FootballFan1795 FootballFan1795 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-02-16
Posts: 60
FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskin13 View Post
... TCC loses most of their skill players, we'll have to see how good they recruit this year ...
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 03-13-17, 07:32 AM
Honest Abe Honest Abe is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-21-16
Posts: 46
Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
I think Strasvegas could surprise some people in a few years.

They'll have a great incoming freshman class. Probably that RB is the best player.

But will kids be told that they must pick between basketball and football... can't do that at a small school, and really a high school kid shouldn't be told that anyway no matter what the size school.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 03-13-17, 07:37 AM
Honest Abe Honest Abe is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-21-16
Posts: 46
Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
I could see 3 POSSIBLY 4 IVC teams make the playoffs.

IV, Claymont, then Ridgewood or Garaway having an outside chance to slide in.

And someone from the small school, either East Canton or Buckeye Trail.

Gotta imagine Trail will ride the Snodgrass kid. 1,000 yard rusher as a sophomore.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 03-13-17, 07:38 AM
Journey Journey is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Posts: 1,493
Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post
I think Strasvegas could surprise some people in a few years.
Back in the day, Strasburg was one of the only schools in the county making the playoffs, and it was harder to make the tournament back then. The 3 deans were Martini at TV, Hurst at Strasvegas and Coach Ifft at Dover.

Would not surprise me to see them come back.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 03-13-17, 07:53 AM
Bandit22 Bandit22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-12-16
Posts: 142
Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
Long time head coach at Mogadore Scott Pollock's son is the head coach at Strasburg - Mogadore is a small school just like strasburg and I know Pollock coached basketball and football different years and it seemed no matter who was coaching which sport - the coaches always worked well together. Strasburg has a strong history in basketball and I would imagine there are only so many boys walking the halls so they probably will work out just fine playing both sports.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 03-13-17, 08:06 AM
Honest Abe Honest Abe is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-21-16
Posts: 46
Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
The rumor i heard was that the hoops coach didn't share athletes well.
The football coach is a great guy and is going to be successful with the football program.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 03-13-17, 08:18 AM
Bandit22 Bandit22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-12-16
Posts: 142
Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
here is a different subject - read in the canton rag that EC is getting a turf - who all in the league has turf? I really don't know as to some of the stadiums I have never been and others not for quite some time.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 03-13-17, 08:39 AM
Johnny Moxon Johnny Moxon is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-22-17
Posts: 14
Johnny Moxon is on a distinguished road
East Canton would be the first in the league to have turf.
Rumor has it garaway might be getting turf also.
Ridgewood had the worst playing surface i've ever seen last year, but do have very nice home and away bleachers.
Buckeye trail has a nice little stadium.
Sandy finally added new away bleachers.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 03-13-17, 08:44 AM
colorswitch colorswitch is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-10-17
Posts: 14
colorswitch is on a distinguished road
Claymont will have a nice potential qb in terrin harris. he has played LB in the past but as aggressive as he is I think he could make the move to qb and be quite successful. Xavier Grant could have a great year as well I think he would have to be in the running for player of the year.

Ridgewood has a nice RB returning that filled in last year when Harrison got hurt, I thought he had potential. If I remember right wasnt he a freshman? I imagine Alexander will move to QB and be pretty good.

Buckeye Trail is moving CizMadia to the backfield I have heard not sure what that means but he is a big kid.

Indian Valley - Williams will be a very good QB. I am not sure how they will replace O'Conner I thought that kid was a stud. He was a real difference maker at LB. Big and athletic.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 03-13-17, 09:58 AM
RubberChickenII RubberChickenII is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-21-17
Posts: 14
RubberChickenII is on a distinguished road
East Canton would have to be the favorite to make a playoff appearance this season. Did lose a couple nice backs but they have athletes who will fill those shoes. They were very solid up front last year on both sides of the ball, and line play equals good football contrary to what many believe. Their coach has done a great job. Keeps it simple and plays the game the right way, physical.

Indian Valley has been waiting on this class and many say the cupboards there are filling up. They will have a shot at the postseason. Great coaching staff and above average talent typically equals success.

Claymont returns a large class of Juniors who experienced some success last year, got to believe that taste of success could lead to a big season for the Mustangs.

Garaway and Ridgewood will be depleted from graduation, both lost 17 plus seniors. In schools their size(150-160 boys) those are tough classes to lose. Especially when they are as talented as groups as both possessed. Im not sure either will pose any threat in regards to the postseason. I know both programs have reloaded for quite sometime, but Im not sure that will be the case this year. Its a shame with the timing of the new league for Im sure both will not "meet" their fan bases and critics expectations. Both will rebuild in due time.

Strasburg has good people in charge of the program, need numbers and some talent to make it a go. Not sure they have it yet.

TCC- Lost alot of skill, but typically have some skill to replace it. Always a wildcard that could go either way.

Malvern- Have been down by their standards time will tell if they can get it back, not playing Ridgewood and Garaway is a nice bonus for the Hornets in the future, for Malvern is only other IVC school who has regularly challenged for IVC title and had more succeess in postseason than Ridgewood and Garaway in past 12-15 years.

Newcomerstown is in trouble...Not sure they can win a game and not sure its getting better anytime in the near future. Move into new league couldnt have came at a worse time for them. No players whatsoever. Unfortunate for Coach Lahmers, Good coach and person. Everyone wants to pin losing on the Coach, it is what it is, but I do not believe any coach in this area, state, country for that matter was winning with the talent at Newcomerstown lately. Personally thought Coach Lahmers did more with less than any coach in league last year. Rumor is a Newcomerstown coaching legend is on his way back to fix the program. We shall see.

Buckeye Trail lost an exceptional player last year in their QB, yet new coach has generated some excitement in the program and they had a solid season, may be able to ride that momentum as they have several starters back.

Tusky Valley brings back a 2 year starter at QB who is a very nice athlete. Typically Tusky Valley has had size yet lacked the skill players to go along with it. Seem to be more of a power football team all though it be out of the spread at times. Another coach who has done a fine job in attempting to build a program that had been struggling.

Sandy Valley- No comment
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 03-13-17, 12:23 PM
styx styx is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-18-14
Posts: 215
styx is on a distinguished road
My guesses-

Claymont- playoffs, champs
IV- playoffs, runner up
TV- 4th
Ridgewood- 3rd
Garaway- 5th
Newc- 6th

SV- champs
EC- playoffs, runner up
TCC- 4th
Stras Vegas- 5th
BT- 3rd
Malvern- 6th
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 03-13-17, 05:24 PM
pigskin13 pigskin13 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-04-13
Posts: 367
pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorswitch View Post
Claymont will have a nice potential qb in terrin harris. he has played LB in the past but as aggressive as he is I think he could make the move to qb and be quite successful. Xavier Grant could have a great year as well I think he would have to be in the running for player of the year.

Buckeye Trail is moving CizMadia to the backfield I have heard not sure what that means but he is a big kid
I hope the Mustangs keep Harris at LB. I think the staring QB this year could be the coaches son. He'll be a Soph. and he was the JV QB last year as a Fresh. Claymont could have two 1,000 yard rushers this year, Hershberger had over 600 yards in before getting hurt in the 6th game and missed the rest of the season.

Cizmadia played TE and DE last year for Trail, not sure what position he'd play in the backfield, FB?
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 03-13-17, 05:29 PM
pigskin13 pigskin13 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-04-13
Posts: 367
pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
My guesses-

Claymont- playoffs, champs
IV- playoffs, runner up
TV- 4th
Ridgewood- 3rd
Garaway- 5th
Newc- 6th

SV- champs
EC- playoffs, runner up
TCC- 4th
Stras Vegas- 5th
BT- 3rd
Malvern- 6th
My too early picks...
1-Claymont (Playoffs)
2-Indian Valley (Playoffs)
3-Ridgewood (possible playoffs)
4-Garaway
5-Tusky Valley
6-Newcomerstown

1-Sandy Valley (possible playoffs)
2-Buckeye Trail (possible playoffs)
3-Malvern (possible playoffs)
4-East Canton
5-Starsburg
6-TCC (unless they get a lot of "transfers")
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 03-13-17, 09:31 PM
fuss2 fuss2 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-31-10
Posts: 46
fuss2 is on a distinguished road
I think one thing we all forget in this league discussion is that it's not all based on football. You have to remember in terms of travel, you have middle school teams, jv teams in all sports boys and girls. Especially in the winter and spring seasons you could make multiple trips to the furthest schools away from you in different sports during a week. That will blow any transportation budget out of the water when you talk about EC, Malvern and SV.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 03-13-17, 10:02 PM
mingua mingua is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-13-17
Posts: 9
mingua is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit22 View Post
can anyone give info on buckeye trail?
Howdy. Am new to forum. My younger brother's team (Harrison Central) played Trail two years ago or so on a Thursday night. They are only team in IVC that I know much about since they are also members of the OVAC. Gave us one heck of a game that came down to missed two-point conversion. Was one of our better teams in recent years. From what I remember Trail had one heck of a stingy defense. Ran 3-3-5. Defensive coordinator had numerous blitzing packages that gave our running game all kids of fits. On offense they were a straight wing-t team, but I am not 100% sure that they still run this system. I know they have a new head coach who has brought a lot of energy and excitement to the program. (I work with a guy at the prison who knows him). I do know that their QB last year was arguably the best athlete in their conference, but he graduated. Not sure who calls the offense.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 03-14-17, 08:27 AM
styx styx is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-18-14
Posts: 215
styx is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the thread Mingua and thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskin13 View Post
My too early picks...
1-Claymont (Playoffs)
2-Indian Valley (Playoffs)
3-Ridgewood (possible playoffs)
4-Garaway
5-Tusky Valley
6-Newcomerstown

1-Sandy Valley (possible playoffs)
2-Buckeye Trail (possible playoffs)
3-Malvern (possible playoffs)
4-East Canton
5-Starsburg
6-TCC (unless they get a lot of "transfers")
Haha yes, way too early, but what else we gonna talk about?

If Malvern makes the playoffs I will eat my shoe, IMO that program fell off a cliff right as East Canton came in and SV got good and TCC had a glut of talent. I doubt they'll be back to the playoffs.

Sucks about Newc coach, I'd heard good things about how he was running that program.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 03-14-17, 08:33 AM
Journey Journey is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Posts: 1,493
Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuss2 View Post
I think one thing we all forget in this league discussion is that it's not all based on football.
IMO Yes it is.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 03-14-17, 01:14 PM
Honest Abe Honest Abe is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-21-16
Posts: 46
Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
I agree with Journey. It is about football. I get where you are coming from Fuss.

If you were honestly going to take in the other sports for consideration, why would you change it now. The current IVC is arguably the best small division basketball conference in the state. Strasburg, Malvern, Hiland, Garaway, Sandy Valley all competed for district championships. And the only reason two of the teams aren't playing in the regionals is because they were beaten by other IVC schools. TCC went to the state final four 2 years ago and can beat someone on any given night, East Canton beat the three seed in their tournament and was up by 17 on the two seed at halftime...So it makes no sense to change it up in basketball. And with baseball, Hiland is obviously tremendous coming off a state championship run, ridgewood has had two region appearances in 3 years. Sandy/Garaway/TCC have been very competitive in baseball with some solid teams and strasburg is very up and coming in baseball. It is a very good baseball and basketball league currently, it is an AWFUL football league. Ridgewood. Garaway. And a few recent seasons by Sandy, that is it in football. If strasburg/newcomerstown/malvern weren't down in football and we had 6 possibly 7 really solid football teams, would there even have been a league change?
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03-15-17, 09:58 AM
Johnny Moxon Johnny Moxon is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-22-17
Posts: 14
Johnny Moxon is on a distinguished road
No way Sandy wins small school this year IMO Styx. But agree with most other picks. I think East canton will surprise people.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 03-15-17, 10:34 AM
luvhsfb luvhsfb is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 09-21-16
Posts: 13
luvhsfb is on a distinguished road
Totally agree on the East Canton thought.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 03-16-17, 06:52 AM
Bandit22 Bandit22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-12-16
Posts: 142
Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
A fellow named Spider Miller is leading EC - he is entering his second season there....I wouldn't bet against him if everything else is equal.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 03-16-17, 12:10 PM
reggiejackson reggiejackson is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 04-01-15
Posts: 98
reggiejackson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChickenII View Post
East Canton would have to be the favorite to make a playoff appearance this season. Did lose a couple nice backs but they have athletes who will fill those shoes. They were very solid up front last year on both sides of the ball, and line play equals good football contrary to what many believe. Their coach has done a great job. Keeps it simple and plays the game the right way, physical.

Indian Valley has been waiting on this class and many say the cupboards there are filling up. They will have a shot at the postseason. Great coaching staff and above average talent typically equals success.

Claymont returns a large class of Juniors who experienced some success last year, got to believe that taste of success could lead to a big season for the Mustangs.

Garaway and Ridgewood will be depleted from graduation, both lost 17 plus seniors. In schools their size(150-160 boys) those are tough classes to lose. Especially when they are as talented as groups as both possessed. Im not sure either will pose any threat in regards to the postseason. I know both programs have reloaded for quite sometime, but Im not sure that will be the case this year. Its a shame with the timing of the new league for Im sure both will not "meet" their fan bases and critics expectations. Both will rebuild in due time.

Strasburg has good people in charge of the program, need numbers and some talent to make it a go. Not sure they have it yet.

TCC- Lost alot of skill, but typically have some skill to replace it. Always a wildcard that could go either way.

Malvern- Have been down by their standards time will tell if they can get it back, not playing Ridgewood and Garaway is a nice bonus for the Hornets in the future, for Malvern is only other IVC school who has regularly challenged for IVC title and had more succeess in postseason than Ridgewood and Garaway in past 12-15 years.

Newcomerstown is in trouble...Not sure they can win a game and not sure its getting better anytime in the near future. Move into new league couldnt have came at a worse time for them. No players whatsoever. Unfortunate for Coach Lahmers, Good coach and person. Everyone wants to pin losing on the Coach, it is what it is, but I do not believe any coach in this area, state, country for that matter was winning with the talent at Newcomerstown lately. Personally thought Coach Lahmers did more with less than any coach in league last year. Rumor is a Newcomerstown coaching legend is on his way back to fix the program. We shall see.

Buckeye Trail lost an exceptional player last year in their QB, yet new coach has generated some excitement in the program and they had a solid season, may be able to ride that momentum as they have several starters back.

Tusky Valley brings back a 2 year starter at QB who is a very nice athlete. Typically Tusky Valley has had size yet lacked the skill players to go along with it. Seem to be more of a power football team all though it be out of the spread at times. Another coach who has done a fine job in attempting to build a program that had been struggling.

Sandy Valley- No comment
no comment?
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 03-16-17, 12:56 PM
Redline Redline is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-23-17
Posts: 12
Redline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiejackson View Post
no comment?
What's the point of commenting? It's SV and to them they are world beaters who have "awoken" due to one nice year. I will comment. I don't see them winning the small school division even though they will be MUCH bigger than any other school in it. I see them with at least 3 losses, maybe 4.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 03-17-17, 07:39 AM
Cardinal Nation Cardinal Nation is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-16-16
Posts: 77
Cardinal Nation is on a distinguished road
Sandy Valley is going to win their first league championship since 1956! And we will make the playoffs again, mark it down!
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 03-17-17, 08:31 AM
Honest Abe Honest Abe is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-21-16
Posts: 46
Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
Going to be hard to make it to the playoffs playing a bunch of D7 schools.

Pretty much have to go 9-1 or 10-0 and Sandy is not doing that.

Magnolia Sandy Valley

08/25 A Navarre Fairless
Toss up

09/01 H Minerva
No clue

09/08 A Zoarville Tuscarawas Valley
Toss up

09/15 A Gnadenhutten Indian Valley
big loss

09/22 H Uhrichsville Claymont
Loss

09/29 H New Philadelphia Tuscarawas Central Catholic
Win

10/06 H Strasburg-Franklin
Toss up

10/13 A East Canton
Loss

10/20 A Lore City Buckeye Trail
Loss (Trail will be way tougher)

10/27 H Malvern
Win

Sandy will go 6-4 at best 7-3. No way you will make it in at 7-3...

You guys wanted to be in the small school division, and now were going to hear you all cry and moan when you go 8-2 and miss the playoffs. Be careful what you wish for.....
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 03-17-17, 09:41 AM
Cardinal Nation Cardinal Nation is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-16-16
Posts: 77
Cardinal Nation is on a distinguished road
We are 2-3td dogs vs Claymont, every other game is winnable.
Big loss vs IV? They said that the last two years.
Fairless toss up? They got beat by IV both the last two years that we beat IV.
Minerva toss up? They were 0-10...
TV toss up? Last 3 years scores? 84-8.
Strasburg toss up? last 4 years scores? 173- 28
E Canton loss? last 4 years scores? 134- 21
BT loss? I'd put that game as a toss up, as we've never seen each other.

8-2 we will make the playoffs. Hell, our 7-3 last year would have made the playoffs had CBP been in effect and CCC wasn't in our region. We will play less D7s this year than last year, and they will be worth more points without the guaranteed losses from separating the top half of the league.

I love that SV is getting hate. It's how you know the program is getting results. Hate on!
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 03-17-17, 11:15 AM
Honest Abe Honest Abe is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-21-16
Posts: 46
Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
I am not hating one bit...

You lost the Mozden kid, great player, lose the Finn kid another very good player, and you lose Neisel... went 7-3.
I also saw your jv team... yikes. There is no way you we be better than last year.

Claymont and Indian Valley are two loses. (your two biggest points games)
7-3 didn't make it in last year CBP or not......adding an 0-10 team and joining a division with the majority of D7 schools will really help at this year.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 03-17-17, 12:05 PM
pigskin13 pigskin13 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-04-13
Posts: 367
pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
I love what Sandy Valley has done since Coach Gardner arrived. But the school (not the coaches or kids) does look like cowards wanting in the small division.

This season SV should be favored against Minerva (who is on the 20 game losing streak)
and their last 5 games against small division opponents. So, unless they trip up like they did last year against TCC, that should give them 6 wins. I see 2 losses for sure (Claymont, Indian Valley) Fairless and Tusky Valley should be toss ups, but both are on the road. I see 6-4, maybe 7-3. And 7-3 probably won't make the playoffs, unless they upset Claymont and Indian Valley.

Last edited by pigskin13; 03-17-17 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 03-17-17, 06:08 PM
colorswitch colorswitch is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-10-17
Posts: 14
colorswitch is on a distinguished road
I was eating at KFC tonight in Coshocton, don't sleep on ridgewood. They said slusser thinks this team will be better this year than what ridgewood was two years ago and the next two years are when things get really real. Sounds like ridgewood is reloading and they are gonna be ridgewood again.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 03-17-17, 06:59 PM
RubberChickenII RubberChickenII is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-21-17
Posts: 14
RubberChickenII is on a distinguished road
Don't buy the chicken colorswitch...if you have ever talked to Coach Slusser you would know that's hogwash someone is selling you. Coach Slusser, aka Lou Holtz, never states his teams will be anything, typically much the opposite. The Wood will have a very small Senior class and probably not put a junior on the field. Gonna be young and inexperienced.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 16 06-18-17 07:07 PM
2017 Football Conferences Yappi Football 3 12-23-16 12:25 PM
2017 Football scheduling jbica001 Barberton Magics 6 12-12-16 02:06 PM
Want to play for the Cincinnati Fury in 2017? CinciFury Baseball 0 07-25-16 02:59 PM
High School Football Concussions - Illinois Lawsuit bluengold Football 8 12-04-14 07:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz