Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-09-17, 07:34 PM
All Ohio

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
GWOC North 2017

After a great year of football, Troy returned to their former glory storming through the conference, every week their seemed to be great games with 6 quality programs. Each team will be looking to compete in 2016

Troy had a great season in 2016, and their program looks to sustain that success under the tutelage of the Burgbachers. Although they lose both their All-North RB and QB, along with two huge offensive tackles, they return their 3 interior lineman and a host of playmakers. On defensive I see Troy becoming even better, Sam Jackson is a stud in the secondary and the emergence of Shane Shoop has been good to. They also return the huge run stopper Gage Forsythe, along with Christian Nation, Zack Boyer and a host of other defensive players. Look for Troy to be even better defensively next year.

After another good season with a great senior class, Piqua looks like they may step back a bit. They return star two way player Ben Shmiesing along with some good lineman. But they lose huge run stoppers Tristan Cox and Josh Potter, along with their brute RB. They will be returning a good starter at QB, but lose a lot on both sides including much of their size.

After a successful first season in the North, Tipp looks to continue their winning ways. They lose a small but talented senior class, including offensive players QB Aaron Hughes, RBs Nyles Anderson and Quentin Williams TE Austin Subler and lineman Grant Carlson and Isaac Haas. On defense they lose star safety Cade Rogers and lineman Ryan Bolton and Evan Hamilton. Tipp will be returning 5 offensive starters including 4 lineman and 1000 yd back Cole Barhorst. Defensively they return 6 players with starting experience on the defensive line, along with starting linebacker Matt Garber and DBs Justin Everette and Russell Ramsey. With a strong senior class in 2017, and continuity on both sides of the line should make Tipp a good team with a chance to compete for the North title.

After a 5-5 season Butler looks to rebound in a big way. They lose a few lineman on the offensive line along with playmaker Miles Joiner. But return 1000 yard back Logan Flatt along with a young talented QB and one of the best WRs in the league. Look for Butler to be good again on offense. On defense Butler loses the majority of their top tacklers including star LB.... but return some youth along the D-Line. I look for Butler to have a similar year as this year, their offense should be better, but I believe their defense takes a step back.

Sidney was very close to having a special season, but injuries and close losses held them to a modest season. Some have speculated that Andre Gordon may not be back next year. If true I don't see Sidney becoming that much better of a team. But if he returns, they should be one of the favorites to win the league. If Gordon does play he will be accompanied by all league back Isiaha Bowser who looks to have another great season, along with the great defensive tackle. They return a good deal of lineman on both sides but could take a step back from an already iffy defense.

Greenville had another disappointing seasons but had a few bright spots including two way star Logan Eldridge. With Logan gone I don't see Greenville being able to produce much offensively, and defensively they lose Eldridge along with a host of other solid players. Experience on the O Line should help but I except them to finish near the bottom of the conference.

Predicted finish:
Troy
Tippecanoe
Sidney
Butler
Piqua
Greenville

Should be another great season!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-17, 01:45 AM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
A fairly accurate assessment. Sidney's season will largely depend on Andre's decision. Last I heard he isn't decided on which sport he wants to play in college. So it seems as if football is still on the table. If that's the case it is likely he does play again. Isaiah is a great RB who had a record breaking season despite defenses keying on him most of the year. It would be very interesting to see what he could do if teams had to worry about more than just him. Devan Rogers returns on the DL after another solid season and he's hungry for more college offers as interest from several schools has been rising. Also return some depth in the secondary with Josiah Hudgins, Kelton Stockton, and Darren Taborn combining for 10 interceptions.

Last edited by Yellow_Jacket06; 01-10-17 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 05:25 PM
Junior Varsity

BreadNButter is on a distinguished road
It really seems like Piqua is going to fall off big time this year. Butler should be improved Tipp too, losing Kotwicka for Troy is huge
Old 01-12-17, 09:59 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
nice run down tipp
Old 01-13-17, 08:44 AM
All District

foghat78 is on a distinguished road
If Troy's defense is better next year which I think it will, they will still be a very scary team even with a drop in offensive production. May not need to score much points in order to win 8 or 9 games. Look for the Jackson kid to have a big year running the ball. I think his defensive numbers will suffer a little bit because he may have to be their featured back. With the offensive lineman they have and losing Kotwica they could rely on Jackson to carry this team early until some of these younger guys get their feet wet and get comfortable with the varsity game.

Piqua will still be a tough opponent for everyone in the north. I know they lose alot and could take a step back but they have tradition and are well coached. I still see them as a contender for the GWOC north. They lose the Shrubb kid at running back but return most of the their offensive production and 2 of their top three tacklers. The Schmiesing kid is a great player and rushed for over 800 yards and will pick up where Shrubb and Tipp Clemons left off. Still see a 6 win team.

Tipp will be solid. Return the Barhorst kid but lose alot of other skilled players, but as long as he's back they will be a very dangerous offensive team. The key to this team is what happens with their head coach. The last 2 years he's applied for other jobs and if he's gone their season could depend on whether they hire from within or bring in someone new with a new style of play. Another 6 or 7 win team.

I think Sidney is the hardest team to get a read on because we know they can be dangerous if Bowser and Gordon are in the backfield, but just how dangerous. Sidney loses 3 starters on the offensive line, and if they can fill those holes I think they can be a 8 or 9 win team. Defensively I disagree that they take a step back. I think they will be better this year. They return 7 of their top 10 tacklers from last year, 4 of those 7 were sophomores or freshman, so those guys should make huge steps forward. The pieces are there for a special season, the key will be staying healthy. 8 or 9 win team.

I don't think Butler can score enough to replace what they are losing on Defense. Losing 7 of their top ten tacklers including the Grossman kid will hurt. They should score alot of points and be in some shootouts but With the strength of the other 4 teams I don't see them being much better than 5-5 or 4-6.

Greenville will round out the north. They lose their only offensive weapon and best defensive player in Eldridge. They will win some non league games because of who they play but I don't see much better than 3 wins for the Greenwave. They will continue to play hard and be physical but the lack of experienced talent will keep them in the cellar.

1a. Troy
1b. Sidney
3. Tipp
4. Piqua
5. Butler
6. Greenville
Old 01-14-17, 11:33 AM
All District

Ohio94 is on a distinguished road
Curious if benchwarmer will ever show his face again. I don't think he posted after week 6 or 7 last year.
Old 01-14-17, 12:04 PM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
Troy's defense will not fall off much. They lose their top two leading tackers in Brumfield and Murray at the linebacker positions, as well as safety Jake Anderson. But losing only three starters, they should be able to reload. Jackson and Shoop will be huge playmakers, along with Schricker and Forsythe on the line. Both corners in McDonagh and Boyer return as well. If they can find someone to fill those linebacker spots, they will be very good. Unfortunately for Troy, Shoop and Jackson will also be the top options in the backfield for the Trojans. Kobe Feltner played a bit of the Urban Meyer "h-back" position this season, and you may see him in the backfield next year even though he is more of a wide receiver. You will likely see him in both returner roles as well. Jaydon Culp-Bishop is a track superstar but has yet to really find it on the football field, as I believe he just started playing a season or two ago. He has SERIOUS speed and if he gets a good handle on the game and is able to play, he could be dangerous. He's Troy's fastest player since Miles Hibbler. I think the teams offensive play will largely depend on the quarterback. It will be interesting to see who it is, the coaches are pretty high on the freshman QB that will be a sophomore, yet they also have the to be junior QB that was on JV, as well as Sam Coleman that had played quarterback for every year until this past season.

Sidney could be really dangerous if they have Andre. Pair him with Bowser and a defensive stud in Rogers and that's a very talented football team already. They could be really good.

Piqua will lose a lot, more than I realized before looking at the roster. Piqua has great tradition there and will reload a bit, but not as strong as usual. Schmiesing will be a great player both ways for them carrying the load, and Derek Hite is a very good player as well (missed this season with injury). They return their QB as well so not all is lost.

Tipp brings back Barhorst and I think they will have a year similar to this one.

Butler loses a lot of production, likely will have a down year. Benchwarmer?

Greenville is getting better. Not sure if they are completely there yet, but they might be. Maybe this is the year they break through and find some wins for a couple of years.
Old 01-23-17, 10:31 PM
All Ohio

Looks like Tipp building a new stadium at the park is almost a done deal. City Council should approve 6.1 million dollar plan Feb. 6..

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...V6GlSyaYhnGCJ/

I believe it has been said that the stadium at the park will come in phases, the first being artificial turf being installed for the next football season.

This link explains the details of the stadium, tonight the school board decided to keep the stadium at the park.
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...mVAp1iax56h4O/
Old 01-24-17, 08:54 AM
All District

IcyCoolDevil is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=TippIsGreat;6683253]Looks like Tipp building a new stadium at the park is almost a done deal. City Council should approve 6.1 million dollar plan Feb. 6..

QUOTE]

It's only 15 years late, but finally.... can't find a happy tears icon so will just go with....
Old 01-28-17, 07:29 AM
All Yappi

INDIANS_RULE
Send a message via Yahoo to INDIANS_RULE
I told a work buddy that once Tipp joined the GWOC they would move on a new stadium in a hurry. I didn't really think it would be this much of a hurry but good for them. Their kids deserve an upgrade.

As for the 2017 season, I don't know what to expect from the Indians unlikely make a offensive philosophy change with the weapons they will have. They have a QB who can throw the ball better then any they have had in many years. But will they move to utilize that is still yet to be seen. The defense took some hits as everyone here knows, but what everyone also knows is Nees knows how to make the best out of that. So we will see how it plays.

I know I am basically the only voice Piqua has on here, but I will only pop in and out of Yappi until probably the middle of July or so. I apologize for that but it is what it is. I'll catch up on the fly....everyone have a great summer once it gets here.
Old 01-28-17, 08:32 AM
Varsity

OSUfball is on a distinguished road
I heard the GWOC essentially gave them the timeline as a condition to joining. I know they said the park is cheaper, but I am also assuming that is due in part to not putting a track around the field. I also wonder if it will get as much use. If it is at the HS, you can have multiple sports use it for practice.

The people wanted it at the park though. This will be the biggest upgrade I can think of.
Old 01-28-17, 09:30 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfball View Post
I heard the GWOC essentially gave them the timeline as a condition to joining. I know they said the park is cheaper, but I am also assuming that is due in part to not putting a track around the field. I also wonder if it will get as much use. If it is at the HS, you can have multiple sports use it for practice.

The people wanted it at the park though. This will be the biggest upgrade I can think of.
In the press release last night it was stated that 1 million in funds would be used at the high school to upgrade/ add facilities. It's so funny what you can accomplish with a competent AD!
Old 01-28-17, 02:55 PM
Varsity

HSsportfan is on a distinguished road
Actually, It's about time the upper administration and board listened!!!! It's been presented for years with no interest from the ones that actually make those decisions.

Now let's hope the parents can raise the revenue!!!!!
Old 01-28-17, 06:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSsportfan View Post
Actually, It's about time the upper administration and board listened!!!! It's been presented for years with no interest from the ones that actually make those decisions.

Now let's hope the parents can raise the revenue!!!!!
Don't you think they listened because JD is actually a respectable AD? And funding won't be an issue, the issue in the past was the city and school not wanting to reach out to local business for support, now that they have chosen to go down that path there are numerous businesses, alumni, community members willing to put up big bucks. Abbott Labs, Precision Strip, and Premier Health are three that come to mind.
Old 01-28-17, 09:46 PM
Varsity

We will have to agree to disagree regarding previous AD (not as bad as you like to portrait) and current AD (too early to get true opinion, still in honeymoon phase. Let's see him have to make tough decisions first).

Parents finally had enough of the super and board not dealing with stadium issue and they are the ones that got the ball rolling with the stadium, not the new AD.

Tipp is already in a contract with Premier. Those contracts don't work how everyone thinks they do!!!! Sure, schools get money for stadium but then have to PAY for athletic training services instead of getting it for free. Most you can get is what they are already getting and spent on track, baseball, softball and tennis facility. Even in renewal, won't get much because UVMC can't give it to all of schools that they provide services to.

Abbott is only interested in sponsoring ACADEMIC needs and already donates a significant amount to that. Not sure much will come of that.

$6 million is a lot!!!! I know they will get some of that, maybe the turf covered but getting the entire project would surprise me. Good for the students if it happens. I certainly am hoping it all comes through!!! Tipp students deserve a great facility. But if fundraising falls short, super and board need to be prepared to go to voters to finish project. Bond issue for stadium would not cost much to an individual taxpayer.

They say there are a lot of people willing to give $10K. But you need 100 of those donors to get to a million. That will be tough!!! Not impossible, just tough. Then you still need to get to $6 million to finish it off..

Again, for the students, I hope it happens.

Also very happy that everyone came to their senses and kept it in the park!!!! Congrats to City Council for taking such a strong stance on that issue!!!!! Much cheaper in the park and maintains a proud Tipp Tradition!!!!! Donors may come out just because of location choice!!!!!
Old 01-28-17, 11:26 PM
All Ohio

They would not have gone this far if they hadn't been sure that they would be able to raise the funding.
Old 01-30-17, 11:15 AM
All District

HSsportfan, you are much closer to the truth. Prior super and BOE members were road blocks to getting this done. Prior AD had put many, many proposals to the super over his tenure to no avail. Faux turf will be nice, but having actual locker rooms has been a pet peeve of mine since the city screwed that up when they built the new pool. (That's not all they screwed up, but not for this thread.)
Old 01-30-17, 12:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCoolDevil View Post
HSsportfan, you are much closer to the truth. Prior super and BOE members were road blocks to getting this done. Prior AD had put many, many proposals to the super over his tenure to no avail. Faux turf will be nice, but having actual locker rooms has been a pet peeve of mine since the city screwed that up when they built the new pool. (That's not all they screwed up, but not for this thread.)
My question is why thw pool locker rooms where never used save when Piqua came.
Old 01-30-17, 05:13 PM
Varsity

Pool locker rooms have been used over 8 years for officials use only. The city parks department would not permit them to be used by teams. 10 years ago the school had officials dress at school and drove them in a van to the game where they had a small trailer to meet in.
Old 01-31-17, 08:51 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSsportfan View Post
Pool locker rooms have been used over 8 years for officials use only. The city parks department would not permit them to be used by teams. 10 years ago the school had officials dress at school and drove them in a van to the game where they had a small trailer to meet in.
Truth!
Old 01-31-17, 09:11 AM
Varsity

All I speak is the truth!!!!! Just gotta ask the right questions to get the answers you want!!!
Old 02-01-17, 06:21 PM
Junior Varsity

fletcjt is on a distinguished road
Greenville may be a couple years out but the group coming in as sophomores have had success at all levels coming up. Not sure they make an impact this year or not but will eventually.
Old 02-02-17, 09:32 PM
Freshman

ButlerParent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRunsNDunks View Post
Troy's defense will not fall off much. They lose their top two leading tackers in Brumfield and Murray at the linebacker positions, as well as safety Jake Anderson. But losing only three starters, they should be able to reload. Jackson and Shoop will be huge playmakers, along with Schricker and Forsythe on the line. Both corners in McDonagh and Boyer return as well. If they can find someone to fill those linebacker spots, they will be very good. Unfortunately for Troy, Shoop and Jackson will also be the top options in the backfield for the Trojans. Kobe Feltner played a bit of the Urban Meyer "h-back" position this season, and you may see him in the backfield next year even though he is more of a wide receiver. You will likely see him in both returner roles as well. Jaydon Culp-Bishop is a track superstar but has yet to really find it on the football field, as I believe he just started playing a season or two ago. He has SERIOUS speed and if he gets a good handle on the game and is able to play, he could be dangerous. He's Troy's fastest player since Miles Hibbler. I think the teams offensive play will largely depend on the quarterback. It will be interesting to see who it is, the coaches are pretty high on the freshman QB that will be a sophomore, yet they also have the to be junior QB that was on JV, as well as Sam Coleman that had played quarterback for every year until this past season.

Sidney could be really dangerous if they have Andre. Pair him with Bowser and a defensive stud in Rogers and that's a very talented football team already. They could be really good.

Piqua will lose a lot, more than I realized before looking at the roster. Piqua has great tradition there and will reload a bit, but not as strong as usual. Schmiesing will be a great player both ways for them carrying the load, and Derek Hite is a very good player as well (missed this season with injury). They return their QB as well so not all is lost.

Tipp brings back Barhorst and I think they will have a year similar to this one.

Butler loses a lot of production, likely will have a down year. Benchwarmer?

Greenville is getting better. Not sure if they are completely there yet, but they might be. Maybe this is the year they break through and find some wins for a couple of years.
Butler will win games if the coach runs the ball. If he keep passing it they will be 500 again. You wont here from Benchwarmer again. Some football dads talked to Hyatt about it. He said it wasnt him but after they talked Benchwarmer never posted again.
Old 02-03-17, 09:41 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerParent View Post
Butler will win games if the coach runs the ball. If he keep passing it they will be 500 again. You wont here from Benchwarmer again. Some football dads talked to Hyatt about it. He said it wasnt him but after they talked Benchwarmer never posted again.
Funny how that turned out isn't it?
Old 02-03-17, 02:03 PM
All District

Ohio94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerParent View Post
What is the parents perception of Hyatt after the first year?
Old 02-03-17, 03:05 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Just curious if 3000 Home seats and less than 1000 visitors will wrk in the GWOC. What are some other schools seating capacity? Troy and Piqua have to be much larger than that.
Nice to see Tipp growing and taking on similar sized schools.
Old 02-03-17, 03:32 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
Just curious if 3000 Home seats and less than 1000 visitors will wrk in the GWOC. What are some other schools seating capacity? Troy and Piqua have to be much larger than that.
Nice to see Tipp growing and taking on similar sized schools.
Yes, Troy at 10,000 and Piqua at 8,000 are larger than that. Also larger is Sidney at 7,000. But the proposal is larger than Butler at 3,200 and Greenville at 2,700.
Old 02-08-17, 11:03 AM
Freshman

ButlerParent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio94 View Post
What is the parents perception of Hyatt after the first year?
Had as much talent as anyone else. We were the league defending champs. Finished fourth didnt make the playoffs. Cant coach. The kids know it.
Old 02-09-17, 11:23 AM
All Region

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
I m fairly certain that Andre Gordon will return to the football field for the Jackets. He just posted a pic of his invite to an Under Armour football camp and said he's going to be back on the field.
Old 02-09-17, 04:30 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye90 View Post
I m fairly certain that Andre Gordon will return to the football field for the Jackets. He just posted a pic of his invite to an Under Armour football camp and said he's going to be back on the field.
That's good for Sidney, I also saw today on Scout that Devan Rogers was offered by Rutgers