Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-10-17, 01:22 PM
All Ohio

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
At the risk of starting a war, how good is Central's schedule in reality? Look at some of the teams Central has scheduled this decade:

2016 - Akron Garfield, Loudonville, Northwest, Minerva
2015 - Akron East, Loudonville, Northwest, Minerva
2014 - Akron East, Barberton, Northwest, Youngstown East, Minerva
2013 - Akron East, Barberton, Youngstown East, Minerva
2012 - Alliance, Springfield, St. Peter Chanel, Barberton
2011 - Alliance, Springfield, Youngstown East, St. Peter Chanel, Western Reserve Academy, Barberton, Eastern
2010 - Warrensville Heights, St. Peter Chanel, Western Reserve Academy, Youngstown East, Youngstown Chaney

No offense to any of the above schools but the common thread here is that they're either perennially horrible public schools in higher divisions (0-10 or 1-9 horrible) that will get a lot of L1 points for Central, or they're lower division, middling-to-bad private programs. Central is a staggering 31-2 against the above schools.

Central's schedules as of late has included just 2 or 3 Catholic schools, which makes them something of an oddity among Catholic programs. Part of this has to do with location and enrollment disparities, no doubt. But if we're being totally honest here how many schools in Stark County have a schedule of 4, 5, 6, even 7 gimme games? How many Catholic schools statewide? How many independents statewide?

All the props in the world to Central for playing (and beating) good programs on a regular basis, but this idea that Central plays a gauntlet schedule just isn't true. Any public school that did the above would be crucified (no pun intended).
Old 02-10-17, 01:40 PM
All Ohio

The above isn't to rag on Central, either, but Ursuline is a historically good program. Since Central is 3-2 against them, all the more reason to schedule, it should be a good game. I also feel like hyping up teams like Jackson is a little bit of sandbagging -- the Bears are in the midst of their least competitive decade since the 70s. Same goes for Hoover, and Perry before Wakefield came back.
Old 02-10-17, 01:43 PM
All District

andre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
At the risk of starting a war, how good is Central's schedule in reality? Look at some of the teams Central has scheduled this decade:

2011 - Alliance, Springfield, Youngstown East, St. Peter Chanel, Western Reserve Academy, Barberton, Eastern
2010 - Warrensville Heights, St. Peter Chanel, Western Reserve Academy, Youngstown East, Youngstown Chaney

No offense to any of the above schools but the common thread here is that they're either perennially horrible public schools in higher divisions (0-10 or 1-9 horrible) that will get a lot of L1 points for Central, or they're lower division, middling-to-bad private programs. Central is a staggering 31-2 against the above schools.

Central's schedules as of late has included just 2 or 3 Catholic schools, which makes them something of an oddity among Catholic programs. Part of this has to do with location and enrollment disparities, no doubt. But if we're being totally honest here how many schools in Stark County have a schedule of 4, 5, 6, even 7 gimme games? How many Catholic schools statewide? How many independents statewide?

All the props in the world to Central for playing (and beating) good programs on a regular basis, but this idea that Central plays a gauntlet schedule just isn't true. Any public school that did the above would be crucified (no pun intended).
Not one CCC poster who even said that we play the hardest schedule ever. They might be saying this is a tough schedule for us this year based off what we have coming back. What does the past schedules have to do with this year upcoming season unless you're trying to use this to discredit the success that we have had the last three seasons. Even with the gimmie games you still have to beat teams in the playoffs like we did against teams like Urusline, Bishop Hartley, Milan Edison, and Coldwater. Don't forgot to add Jackson's name to the 2017 list
Old 02-10-17, 01:49 PM
All District

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No offense to any of the above schools but the common thread here is that they're either perennially horrible public schools in higher divisions (0-10 or 1-9 horrible) that will get a lot of L1 points for Central, or they're lower division, middling-to-bad private programs.
Therein lies what I see as the hypocrisy of the OHSAA and the Competitive Balance movement as it is; believing competitive capability and the reward of Harbin points can simply be equated to an arbitrary number like enrollment or adjusted enrollment.
Old 02-10-17, 01:59 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
Not one CCC poster who even said that we play the hardest schedule ever. They might be saying this is a tough schedule for us this year based off what we have coming back. What does the past schedules have to do with this year upcoming season unless you're trying to use this to discredit the success that we have had the last three seasons. Even with the gimmie games you still have to beat teams in the playoffs like we did against teams like Urusline, Bishop Hartley, Milan Edison, and Coldwater. Don't forgot to add Jackson's name to the 2017 list
No discrediting -- Central has had some great teams lately. But Ursuline plays a schedule that every team on Central's schedule would have real trouble with. Saying Central doesn't have a reputation for dodging teams, that there's no advantage to playing Ursuline, that Jackson and Perry are better than them... these ideas aren't computing. Perry and Jackson stunk for years until very recent coaching changes. It remains to be seen if their success will continue, especially for Jackson. If Central is 3-2 against Ursuline, why not play? It would certainly be a lot more entertaining than playing Youngstown East.
Old 02-10-17, 02:10 PM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
the discussion was not to discredit or dog CCC

my inquiry was to why don't mooney and ursuline and CCC play? I do believe they would be great games. I was given answers - some I didn't like

Lastly the discussion was challenged with wanting one good reason they should play and some guys are providing those one good reasons only to be met with opposition, which is the fun banter of yappi - in saying all this - hope trucker and the boys make another run and if mooney and ursuline do what they need to do - they will meet in playoffs if they are in same division.
Old 02-10-17, 02:28 PM
All Ohio

The Veer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
At the risk of starting a war, how good is Central's schedule in reality? Look at some of the teams Central has scheduled this decade
Yes, we have played some less than stellar teams, however the schedule has strengthened from 2010 to 2016 as the team has improved. Remember we had some very down years in the late 2000's. 2014 was a breakout year, but we did not expect such a turn around that year. You left all the better teams off, but that is ok. I guess its fine sometimes for the kettle to call the pot black....

Not to discredit Jackson, but:

D1 Jackson 2014 Schedule:

Akron East
Green
Toledo St Francis DeSales
Lake
GlenOak
Canton McKinley
Northwest
Perry
Hoover

D5 Central 2014 Schedule

New Philadelphia
Perry
Minerva
St Thomas Aquinas
Youngstown East
Northwest
Barberton
Hoover
Lake
Akron East
Old 02-10-17, 02:31 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Veer View Post

D1 Jackson 2014 Schedule:

Akron East
Green
Toledo St Francis DeSales
Lake
GlenOak
Canton McKinley
Northwest
Perry
Hoover

D5 Central 2014 Schedule

New Philadelphia
Perry
Minerva
St Thomas Aquinas
Youngstown East
Northwest
Barberton
Hoover
Lake
Akron East
Old 02-10-17, 02:43 PM
All District

From the numbers released today by OHSAA, in grades 9, 10 and 11 as of October 31, 2016:

Boys/Girls
CCC: 129/110
STA: 62/57

The numbers from 2014 used for 2015 and 2016:
CCC: 147/119
STA: 129/92

Last edited by TriangleMan; 02-10-17 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-10-17, 03:02 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I see the point you're trying to make, but Loudonville the 2 years prior to playing CCC was 10-2 in D5 then 12-1 in D6.
Old 02-10-17, 03:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
I see the point you're trying to make, but Loudonville the 2 years prior to playing CCC was 10-2 in D5 then 12-1 in D6.
What wasnt also mentioned is that CCC was 2-8 in 2008 and 2009, thus i would imagine a weak schedule in 2010 and 2011. Despite going 8-2 in both those years, we missed the playoffs because of our weak schedule in 2010.

After 2 decent years in 2010 and 2011 (Not great, 1 playoff made / 1st round loss) We went 4-6 in 2012 and 5-5 in 2013.

Despite being 5-5 the year before, 2014's schedule had 5 Common opponents to a D1 team (Jackson) schedule, pretty good for a D5 team with little success.

Since 2014 we have had success, thus NOW the schedule is getting tougher and tougher, with 2017 being more difficult vs the years when we had little success... which makes total sense.

When your team is not good and we definitely struggled, you have a weaker schedule as teams will play you. As you can see now, that we have had some success, the schedule is not quite as easy as it was before and harder to fulfill.

Last year we had one of the tougher schedules for a D5 team and I dont think too many people will argue that or can provide too many teams in that divisions with a comparable schedule.
Old 02-10-17, 03:40 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I'm not muzzled because Jackson stinks. Balderson definitely tried to buy wins at Jackson. He didn't even do it right, which makes it worse.

And I didn't say that Hoover, Lake, and Perry were bad teams to have on the schedule. Perry especially is having great success since Wakefield returned.

Quote:
You left all the better teams off, but that is ok.
There wasn't any need to include them. If you play 2 great teams, 3 teams at parity, and 5 joke teams, you're getting to 6 or 7 wins almost guaranteed. All this "How ever will we compete?" stuff, c'mon.

Everyone knows Central has been having an awesome run, but I think some people might be a little high on their own
Old 02-10-17, 03:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
There wasn't any need to include them. If you play 2 great teams, 3 teams at parity, and 5 joke teams, you're getting to 6 or 7 wins almost guaranteed. All this "How ever will we compete?

2008: 2-8
2009: 2-8
2010: 8-2 (no playoffs)
2011: 8-2 (1st round loss)
2012: 4-6
2013: 5-5

We played a WEAKER schedule (Joke teams as you call them) because WE WERE NOT GOOD. After going 2-8 in 2009, in 2010 we had about the typical schedule of a 2-8 team the year before. Makes sense and we didnt make the playoffs because of it.

2014 was the turn around year, so as our 1-2 year commitments end, the 2015 and then the 2016 schedules are going to get harder and harder.

Please point out 6-7 cupcakes in CCC's 2016 schedule?? (And no Jackson doest count)

Or provide me with a few D5 teams with a comparable 2016 Schedule?
Old 02-10-17, 03:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Despite being 5-5 the year before, 2014's schedule had 5 Common opponents to a D1 team (Jackson) schedule, pretty good for a D5 team with little success.
Little success? You guys have three state championships.

Quote:
Last year we had one of the tougher schedules for a D5 team and I dont think too many people will argue that or can provide too many teams in that divisions with a comparable schedule.
Urusline! That was the whole point of my post. You wanna talk about Jackson instead.

D5 Ursuline 2014 schedule:

Walsh Jesuit
Benedictine
Steubenville
Lake Catholic
Warren G Harding
Farrell (PA)
Massillon Washington
Youngstown East
Cardinal Mooney
St. Vincent-St. Mary

...and you beat them that year even! I still say make it a regular season thing.

In the interest of peace and togetherness, I do think Central's 2017 schedule looks better, I'll agree with you there. Unless those last three spots go to club teams.
Old 02-10-17, 03:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
4-6 in 2012 and 5-5 in 2013 DUH .... yeah 1 playoff appearance since 2008 which was a first round loss..... yeah that is LITTLE SUCCESS leading up to 2014.

Last edited by The Veer; 02-10-17 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-10-17, 04:01 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

Walsh Jesuit
Benedictine
Steubenville
Lake Catholic
Warren G Harding
Farrell (PA)
Massillon Washington
Youngstown East
Cardinal Mooney
St. Vincent-St. Mary
I Didnt know last year was 2014?????? Guess you are providing alternative facts. Pretty sure i said last year, which was 2016. Ursuline is D4 now, but nice try LOL
Old 02-10-17, 04:07 PM
All Ohio

To me it looks like someone is so high they forgot how to read.
Old 02-10-17, 04:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
To me it looks like someone is so high they forgot how to read.
I wish
Old 02-10-17, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I wish
Me too !!
Old 02-10-17, 06:54 PM
All District

Jackson03 you're being a little bit of a hypocrite, you are mentioning how we are not playing Mooney or Ursuline but when is the last time Jackson played a big D1 that they were not forced to play. The only reason why Mooney wanted the game to happen because they wanted to fill their schedule becuse no teams wanted to play them or Ursuline because they know how their programs are run. 2 questions for you, what teams do you know of that CCC is "dodging" and why doesn't Jackson play Massillon or Wayne
Old 02-10-17, 07:45 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Jackson03 you're being a little bit of a hypocrite, you are mentioning how we are not playing Mooney or Ursuline but when is the last time Jackson played a big D1 that they were not forced to play. The only reason why Mooney wanted the game to happen because they wanted to fill their schedule becuse no teams wanted to play them or Ursuline because they know how their programs are run. 2 questions for you, what teams do you know of that CCC is "dodging" and why doesn't Jackson play Massillon or Wayne
There was a rumor that the previous coach wanted easier teams to play. That's why teams like Solon and Hudson disappeared off the schedule. Not sure if that's true or not. Under Mauro & McDaniels Jackson's schedule was 8-9 D1 schools every year. All non-league games were D1, except for occasional powerhouse D2.

As far as Massillon... the AD publicly stated that Jackson "wasn't ready" to play Massillon, which I think was a very embarrassing statement and didn't even make sense since we already play McKinley and used to beat them on occasion, before the program went south. The previous AD had a blanket ban on scheduling Massillon and Central because of issues (real or perceived) regarding how many students living in Jackson Township were attending those two schools for athletic reasons. As far as I'm aware Jackson still refuses to schedule Massillon in any sport.

I don't have any evidence Central is dodging any school. I don't know what it means that Ursuline and Mooney's programs are "run in a certain way" that Central's is not. I think it would be cool if Central played Ursuline, but if there are certain reasons not to schedule them that's fine.

I think Jackson's schedule sucks and Central's schedule sucks. Both look like they may have better schedules in 2017. That's as much as I'm gonna litigate this one. Best of luck to the Crusaders and thank you Veer for the entertaining fight.
Old 02-11-17, 01:36 AM
All District

Are we staying in D5 or are we dropping down into D6
Old 02-11-17, 10:47 AM
All District

Quote:
I think there's enough non-St Michael players, especially among the seniors where many are Tier 2, to keep us in D5.
Old 02-13-17, 09:50 AM
Varsity

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Urusline! That was the whole point of my post. You wanna talk about Jackson instead.

Walsh Jesuit
Benedictine
Steubenville
Lake Catholic
Warren G Harding
Farrell (PA)
Massillon Washington
Youngstown East
Cardinal Mooney
St. Vincent-St. Mary

...and you beat them that year even! I still say make it a regular season thing.

In the interest of peace and togetherness, I do think Central's 2017 schedule looks better, I'll agree with you there. Unless those last three spots go to club teams.
So, by your logic, Ursuline should be more inclined to win a state title with the beefed up schedule, but they cannot get out of the region. Now, look at this from the perspective of a division 5 program, which means you have at MOST 40-50 kids on the roster. Ursuline decided to beef up their schedule and they have suffered tremendous losses in their depth, which has ended many postseason runs before they even began. They have won 17 games in the past three years, and by the end of the year, they are not even close to 100%. If you recall correctly, the year CCC beat them in the regional final, their stud RB played very sparingly due to an ankle injury, and they could not move the ball offensively.

While the casual fan would love to see these super bowl type of games every week, it is not smart from a coaching aspect. You can say that Central is dodging these programs if you wish, but if you were coaching 40 boys, and had aspirations of winning it all, would you want to play these teams week in and week out? The goal is to play 15 weeks and win your last game, not to try and take on every successful program in the regular season.

I'll leave you with this note as well, Ursuline is a very talented program that feeds off the failing public schools in its respective district. They take in far more scholarship students than CCC will ever be able to, and that is fine. But, you cannot in good faith say that CCC and Ursuline are the same type of school. No one disputes the athletes and players that Ursuline has in their school, but please at least acknowledge the inherent advantage they have being a Catholic school in a struggling area. However, since 2014, they have won only 17 games and have zero state title appearances. So maybe loading up the schedule week in and week out is not a smart way to get to the playoffs and play for a state title.
Old 02-13-17, 10:22 AM
All Region

Terrible TD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There was a rumor that the previous coach wanted easier teams to play. That's why teams like Solon and Hudson disappeared off the schedule. Not sure if that's true or not. Under Mauro & McDaniels Jackson's schedule was 8-9 D1 schools every year. All non-league games were D1, except for occasional powerhouse D2.

As far as Massillon... the AD publicly stated that Jackson "wasn't ready" to play Massillon, which I think was a very embarrassing statement and didn't even make sense since we already play McKinley and used to beat them on occasion, before the program went south. The previous AD had a blanket ban on scheduling Massillon and Central because of issues (real or perceived) regarding how many students living in Jackson Township were attending those two schools for athletic reasons. As far as I'm aware Jackson still refuses to schedule Massillon in any sport.

I don't have any evidence Central is dodging any school. I don't know what it means that Ursuline and Mooney's programs are "run in a certain way" that Central's is not. I think it would be cool if Central played Ursuline, but if there are certain reasons not to schedule them that's fine.

I think Jackson's schedule sucks and Central's schedule sucks. Both look like they may have better schedules in 2017. That's as much as I'm gonna litigate this one. Best of luck to the Crusaders and thank you Veer for the entertaining fight.
If your definition of sucks prepares you for 3 consecutive State title runs in your division, then we should keep on with the sucky schedule. As a side note, when these contracts were signed, some of those schools were coming off of playoff runs and winning seasons. While they may not look good today, they are traditionally solid programs. As far as the Akron city schools are concerned, many, many Stark county teams play at least one during the season. And finally, Central played 3 regional finalist, 1 Regional Champion, and 1 State finalist during the regular season, representing DII, DIII, DIV. Please find me a better schedule, that doesn't create huge amounts of travel and costs.
Old 02-13-17, 01:50 PM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Wow.... is all this talk just because Central beat Jackson?

Polar Bears will get their chance in like 8 months... plenty of time to hit the weights.
Old 02-13-17, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Marion Local is a beast in DVI. They have beaten Coldwater and been within 1 point in their recent losses so I wouldnt celebrate moving down!
With CW's drop off, and next year will be another drop in talent from this year, D5 is the place to be unless a power from DIV moves down.
Old 02-13-17, 03:33 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
So, by your logic, Ursuline should be more inclined to win a state title with the beefed up schedule, but they cannot get out of the region.
No. I agree with you that the lightened schedule is better for Central in terms of a postseason run. My theory, whatever it is worth (probably nothing), is that a team like Jackson needs to play up since they DO have significant depth and need to challenge themselves to succeed in D1 -- something they have failed to do for a while. Central, with the inherent advantages of a private school program, benefits significantly from an easier schedule since most of the teams they are going to meet in D5 will not present a significant challenge before the later stages of the playoffs.

People may not like this, and I don't want to start a public vs. private war, but I think Central should be playing in D4. Competitive balance as it is now doesn't balance enough.

Quote:
While the casual fan would love to see these super bowl type of games every week, it is not smart from a coaching aspect.
I didn't say every week. I just think loading up on some of these sketchy teams is not the greatest idea. I'm talking maybe one more tough game per year. Look at it this way -- Central almost didn't even make the playoffs this year. Without the Jackson win, which was by no means a sure thing, the season would have ended after week 10, and everyone here would be clamoring for a tougher schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible TD View Post
If your definition of sucks prepares you for 3 consecutive State title runs in your division, then we should keep on with the sucky schedule. As a side note, when these contracts were signed, some of those schools were coming off of playoff runs and winning seasons. While they may not look good today, they are traditionally solid programs. As far as the Akron city schools are concerned, many, many Stark county teams play at least one during the season. And finally, Central played 3 regional finalist, 1 Regional Champion, and 1 State finalist during the regular season, representing DII, DIII, DIV. Please find me a better schedule, that doesn't create huge amounts of travel and costs.
Some of them have been down and that was unforseeable from Central's perspective (though some, not just the Akron schools, have been down a long time). I've been a little hard on some of those teams. But even in good years, Central is a pretty significant favorite to beat them. Like I said before, it's a schedule designed to get the team to .500 almost automatically, and then any single win after that point is likely to get the team into the postseason. It's smart and a great strategy. But my original comments were focused upon the people who are getting high on their own success and claiming that Central would be immediately competitive in a series with McKinley, or win the Fed three years in a row, like this troll below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
Wow.... is all this talk just because Central beat Jackson?

Polar Bears will get their chance in like 8 months... plenty of time to hit the weights.
Most of the Central posters on this site are great, truly much more graceful than I am. But between some of the arrogance on here and the far-right political garbage I heard being spewed on the St. Ignatius radio station during the Jackson playoff game (you're going to Hell if you're nice to a gay person!), at this point, I won't exactly be sad if Catholic schools are down in 2017 statewide.
Old 02-13-17, 07:56 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...I didn't say every week. I just think loading up on some of these sketchy teams is not the greatest idea. I'm talking maybe one more tough game per year. Look at it this way -- Central almost didn't even make the playoffs this year. Without the Jackson win, which was by no means a sure thing, the season would have ended after week 10, and everyone here would be clamoring for a tougher schedule.
At the time that game was played, "win or go home" was the prevailing thought. As it turned out, that was not the case. With a loss to Jackson, Canton CC would have finished 5-4 with 14.1667 points - good enough for 7th in the region when the dust settled.
Old 02-13-17, 08:04 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMan View Post
I think there's enough non-St Michael players, especially among the seniors where many are Tier 2, to keep us in D5.
I would agree that D5 is more likely than D6, but I'm not betting the house on it. Many public schools offer some type of open enrollment which could make a lot of football teams subject to some type of multiplier, but admittedly much of the open enrollment involves non-football players, let alone non-athletes.