Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-02-17, 03:49 PM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
Is any of our kids going to college to pursue football - besides the Navy young man?

We all know that Academics is # 1 priority though!
Jaret Cummins (#11, WR/LB/DB/P) signed with Walsh University.
Old 02-02-17, 04:17 PM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMan View Post
Jaret Cummins (#11, WR/LB/DB/P) signed with Walsh University.
Good for that young man...

How bout the battery of Murphy and Rupp - they only made the biggest play in CC history.... Or was it Pollard's extra point in 2000?.... sorry to leave you out 1988 - you guys just steam rolled to Championship
Old 02-02-17, 04:34 PM
All District

andre is on a distinguished road
Jack Murphy signed with Hillsdale college
Old 02-02-17, 08:53 PM
Junior Varsity

TheSpear0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
As to why they no longer play Mooney or Ursuline, I believe that has to do with the philosophical differences in program administration. I also know that CCC does not have the reputation for dodging opponents, but maybe you know more than me.
If central doesnít want to play mooney and Ursuline in football anymore, thatís fine. But this reasoning is extremely puzzling. It appears central plays mooney and ursuline in every sport but football. If central had a problem with their philosophical athletic programming, why in Godís name would they play them in all the other sports? Is this one rogue fans opinion or do the rest of centrals fans agree with this theory?
Old 02-02-17, 08:54 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
CCC has played all of those teams in the past, and there are very good reasons as to why they do not play. If you cannot understand the polite way in which I worded the reason, that is not my problem. But I will spell it out as best I can without starting a war on here. Do yourself a favor and look at the amount of Division 1 recruits that have come from Mooney, St. V, Ursuline and Hoban. Then look at how many Division 1 recruits that have come from CCC.
Huh? boycotting St.V and Hoban too? ive heard of public schools complaining about private school's recruiting, but have never heard private schools whine about other private schools. I have to agree with bandit22...sounds pretty lame, especially when you play all of these teams in the other sports. Its very disappointing that they cannot play.
Old 02-03-17, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpear0 View Post
If central doesn’t want to play mooney and Ursuline in football anymore, that’s fine. But this reasoning is extremely puzzling. It appears central plays mooney and ursuline in every sport but football. If central had a problem with their philosophical athletic programming, why in God’s name would they play them in all the other sports? Is this one rogue fans opinion or do the rest of centrals fans agree with this theory?
5 or 6 years ago, the Diocese of Youngstown mandated that the HSs play each other in all sports except football; either head-to-head or in a multi-team format (such as the Bishop's Cup tournament for golf, the diocesan XC meet that Mooney chooses not to attend half the time, etc). We even used to have a diocesan track meet on the weekend, but it became such a waste of time that it got rolled into the annual Canton CC-STA dual track meet last year. The 3 Mahoning Valley schools were invited to that dual meet and attended last year, but there was no diocesan championship at stake. For some reason, JFK got out of being included in the mandate. At that time, JFK had just joined the NCL and cited their league obligations as an excuse. JFK pops in when and where they want. Heck, they've occasionally skipped their league championship meets for XC and track since joining the NCL.

The main reason the diocese mandated this competition was because Mooney and Ursuline complained that they were having difficulty filling their athletic schedules. There are plenty of schools in the Mahoning Valley, so why would Mooney and Ursuline be having so much trouble filling their schedules? Football is understandable, but the fringe sports?

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 02-03-17 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-03-17, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Huh? boycotting St.V and Hoban too? ive heard of public schools complaining about private school's recruiting, but have never heard private schools whine about other private schools. I have to agree with bandit22...sounds pretty lame, especially when you play all of these teams in the other sports. Its very disappointing that they cannot play.
AFAIK, there is no boycott against Hoban and St. V-M on Canton CC's part. The schools don't play as often anymore, but there are a few contests that occur in the fringe sports.

Canton CC had a boycott against Walsh Jesuit that began in the late 2000s due to a couple Stark parochial 8th graders who happened to be rather tall and ended up at WJ - 1 of the 2 8th graders' older and younger siblings have all graduated from Canton CC. Klinefelter didn't like it and told the coaches that they would finish all existing contracts with WJ, but that's it. Kilnefelter was 2 ADs ago, so I don't know if the boycott is still in play. The 2 schools have gone in separate directions since those days when you look at enrollment (Walsh got a little bigger, Canton CC got a lot smaller) and league affiliations (Walsh is in the NCL, Canton CC is still independent).

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 02-03-17 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-03-17, 04:40 PM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
Jack Murphy signed with Hillsdale college

Glad to hear that!... I think much potential to be start WR... wish him the best (along with his like 4.5 GPA I have heard thru grapevine)

Academics always First - and will always be remembered for the Drive!
Old 02-06-17, 12:09 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Central Cathoic 2017
8/25 A Bellevue
9/1 H Massillon Perry
9/8 Unknown Opponent
9/14 A Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas
9/22 H New Philadelphia
9/29 Unknown Opponent
10/6 H Cincinnati Winton Woods
10/13 H Massillon Jackson
10/20 H Wooster
10/27 Unknown Opponent
Old 02-06-17, 04:13 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
AFAIK, there is no boycott against Hoban and St. V-M on Canton CC's part. The schools don't play as often anymore, but there are a few contests that occur in the fringe sports.

Canton CC had a boycott against Walsh Jesuit that began in the late 2000s due to a couple Stark parochial 8th graders who happened to be rather tall and ended up at WJ - 1 of the 2 8th graders' older and younger siblings have all graduated from Canton CC. Klinefelter didn't like it and told the coaches that they would finish all existing contracts with WJ, but that's it. Kilnefelter was 2 ADs ago, so I don't know if the boycott is still in play. The 2 schools have gone in separate directions since those days when you look at enrollment (Walsh got a little bigger, Canton CC got a lot smaller) and league affiliations (Walsh is in the NCL, Canton CC is still independent).
I found this decision to be laughable by then AD and Asst. AD Klinfelter and Miller. So, two (potentially) good basketball players from Central feeder schools, whose families had and continue to have great relationships with the school otherwise, choose to go to WJ and instead of look introspectively and ask "why?", they drop the school from their schedules. This sounds like the bs that schools pull on Central/private schools, generally, all the time.

Maybe they should have taken it as a message (along with the transfers to other schools for among our upperclassmen) that they had a weak sister program due to their continued ignoring of this issue. They did not want to fix the basketball program and they chose not to fix basketball program and these two WJ enrollees was a result of that. My god, Coach Miller built himself a baseball shan-gri-la behind the school and the school sunk $2 million into a football stadium but they didn't see the need to paint the gym, get the locker rooms to a respectable level or take the reigns away from Coach Pellegrene? Maybe that is why they didn't come. You reap what you sow, many times.
Old 02-06-17, 04:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Central Cathoic 2017
8/25 A Bellevue
9/1 H Massillon Perry
9/8 Unknown Opponent
9/22 H New Philadelphia
9/29 Unknown Opponent
10/20 H Wooster
10/27 Unknown Opponent
I just don't know if we have the horses for this schedule next year. I think we can be pretty darn good in 2018 again but I question next year. We have been blessed with talent and health the last three years . . .will that run continue?

Similar to 2002 and 2008, this team will/may suffer from the reputation of the program right now. The teams willing to play us is shrinking right now due to our success.
Old 02-06-17, 04:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Glad to hear that!... I think much potential to be start WR... wish him the best (along with his like 4.5 GPA I have heard thru grapevine)

Academics always First - and will always be remembered for the Drive!
Hillsdale is one conservative oasis. . . I wish him well and hope he has a wonderful college experience, with or without football. I will not soon forget either his final drive as QB or his one handed grab against Minerva in 2015.
Old 02-06-17, 04:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Veer View Post
I would agree with that assessment, but to be fair I dont know that he saw 10 snaps on Varsity all year vs starters (got reps in some blowouts) and he was about a foot shorter than Bojo. Still proud of what we accomplished that season, especially considering the schedule and what Coach K had to work with.
I did not mean to sound critical of the young man . . . I know he was helpful to the program in other ways during his time at Central. I was just offering my assessment of what I saw.

There was not a young man in the school who was close to as good an athlete as Mike Bajornas. We were going to take a giant step back regardless of the back-up. I believe that if he had played 4 years of football (bad advice from an upperclassman who convinced him to focus on hoops), he would have been a big time prospect at the QB position. A full ride to play basketball is not too bad, either.
Old 02-06-17, 04:22 PM
All American

Quote:
Good for that young man...

How bout the battery of Murphy and Rupp - they only made the biggest play in CC history.... Or was it Pollard's extra point in 2000?.... sorry to leave you out 1988 - you guys just steam rolled to Championship
I still give the nod to Pollard's PAT . . . I think it was the setting and the George Blanda straight-on style juxtaposed with Van Wert's All-Ohio soccer style kicker missing his chance that made it sooooo special.

That said, Murphy to Rupp is my favorite pass play in Central history. Of course, pre-1999 or so, there weren't many to choose from.
Old 02-07-17, 01:45 PM
All Ohio

The Veer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
I did not mean to sound critical of the young man . . . I know he was helpful to the program in other ways during his time at Central. I was just offering my assessment of what I saw.

There was not a young man in the school who was close to as good an athlete as Mike Bajornas. We were going to take a giant step back regardless of the back-up. I believe that if he had played 4 years of football (bad advice from an upperclassman who convinced him to focus on hoops), he would have been a big time prospect at the QB position. A full ride to play basketball is not too bad, either.
I didnt think you were being critical, I was just elaborating a little on what a tough situation he was put into. Like being thrown to the wolves.

I remember us as Juniors (going to be Seniors), in the off season trying to talk to him into playing his Junior year after he took off his Sophomore year. Was very glad that he decided to. Great Athlete for sure.
Old 02-07-17, 04:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Veer View Post
I didnt think you were being critical, I was just elaborating a little on what a tough situation he was put into. Like being thrown to the wolves.

I remember us as Juniors (going to be Seniors), in the off season trying to talk to him into playing his Junior year after he took off his Sophomore year. Was very glad that he decided to. Great Athlete for sure.
I am trying to get my timeline right. Mike's last football season was 1998 and he graduated in 1999. Correct? Then Vince took over and started as a sophomore in 1999 and kept the job until the 2001 season before graduating in spring 2002. Is that right?
Old 02-07-17, 06:45 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Central Cathoic 2017
8/25 A Bellevue
9/1 H Massillon Perry
9/8 Unknown Opponent
9/22 H New Philadelphia
9/29 Unknown Opponent
10/20 H Wooster
10/27 Unknown Opponent
For crying out loud. Quit being stubborn and schedule Ursuline week 6.
Old 02-07-17, 11:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
I am trying to get my timeline right. Mike's last football season was 1998 and he graduated in 1999. Correct? Then Vince took over and started as a sophomore in 1999 and kept the job until the 2001 season before graduating in spring 2002. Is that right?
That would be correct. Mike Hershberger started in '96. Bajornas started in '97 and '98 after not playing in '96. Gliatta took the reins from '99-'01.
Old 02-08-17, 03:03 PM
All District

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
For crying out loud. Quit being stubborn and schedule Ursuline week 6.
Give one legitimate reason, from a coach or AD perspective, that would benefit CCC scheduling Ursuline?

Also, they still have a contract with Farrell, PA for the upcoming year, but who knows how that will play out.
Old 02-08-17, 03:27 PM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
easy - Ursuline wins more than they lose - beat them and gain harbin points and everyone can pray together at the 50 afterwards

there is two!!!
Old 02-08-17, 03:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit22 View Post
easy - Ursuline wins more than they lose - beat them and gain harbin points and everyone can pray together at the 50 afterwards

there is two!!!
Most years, yes. Last year we got more Harbins from Northwest.

Last time i checked we haven't needed much help with Harbins the past few seasons.
Old 02-08-17, 03:52 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Now - the truth - the last time CC played Pups I think was 1997 and Pups beat us up pretty good - I mean real good!.... Well, Pups were #1 in USA that year, remember??

But, I say play McKinley every year now.... and Join the Federal League!... I guarantee that if we joined the FDL we would get more kids to come to CCHS!

Reasoning - do you know how many kids Jackson has that won't see the field at Jackson and CCHS coaches would make them solid players?.... For Instance, Jackson has a great QB coming back - and a back-up QB that is real good that would be maybe a starter for CC.... That is just one example...

and you all know the Shadow Knows!
You keep saying it and it is just as silly every time. What is stopping these kids from playing for Central now? How would joining the Fed make kids decide gee I need to go play for Central?
Old 02-08-17, 04:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
That would be correct. Mike Hershberger started in '96. Bajornas started in '97 and '98 after not playing in '96. Gliatta took the reins from '99-'01.
This is all correct. For the 97 season Adam Kline was inked in to play QB prior to Bajornas joining the team.
Old 02-08-17, 04:35 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
You keep saying it and it is just as silly every time. What is stopping these kids from playing for Central now? How would joining the Fed make kids decide gee I need to go play for Central?
They wouldn't, he just wants to rile everyone up. Transfer to Central, Federal League Champs 2016, etc., etc.

Playing a Fed schedule yearly would be a great way for Central to ensure fewer athletic transfers down there. With all due respect, you can't replace Minerva, Garfield, Loudonville, and Northwest with McKinley, GlenOak, Hoover, and Lake (while still playing Perry and Jackson) and not have depth problems and tank the program.
Old 02-10-17, 11:57 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit22 View Post

there is two!!!
Harbins are not the issue, and I'm not sure how many of their players would join in the prayers afterwards.
Old 02-10-17, 12:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Give one legitimate reason, from a coach or AD perspective, that would benefit CCC scheduling Ursuline?
Because you have 3 open dates. I'd think the kids would like to play 10 games? It's a fellow school in the Youngstown Diocese, it beats scheduling teams in Bellevue and Cincinnati. And...

Quote:
I also know that CCC does not have the reputation for dodging opponents
dodge means "to avoid." no matter how you want to spin it, central is dodging the Ytown catholics.
Old 02-10-17, 12:35 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
dodge means "to avoid." no matter how you want to spin it, central is dodging the Ytown catholics.
And That is your OPINION... allowed to have one, Thanks for sharing. If its FACT, please provide us with that information?? Oh wait, you DONT have any. Convenient Now....

I could see this opinion as well: Ursuline is avoiding US. Last 5 games, CCC leads 3-2. Last meeting Ursuline couldnt get over the goal line. Actually they looked like they didn't belong on the field with us. I was there, it was a beat down. What, 3-7 this year with 3.5 Harbins?? Waste of time if you ask me.

Mooney had some open dates last few years.... filled it with a Maryland team a Penn team and Akron North (Great choice there for an easy win)

JFK is D7 and just became relevant again the past 2 seasons. Why play a D7 team, with whom we have no real history with?? Just because they are Catholic? Thats not a reason, its a similarity. I'd rather play D1 Jackson or D2 runner up Perry (who are both better and more potential for Harbins)

But again, no need to play them. Getting plenty of Harbins elsewhere and if we dont find an opponent, i would love to play ANY of those teams, Mooney would be the 1st choice in my eye and I hope they do schedule it, but im not the AD and, just like you, dont have any idea why they are NOT.
Old 02-10-17, 12:37 PM
All District

andre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Because you have 3 open dates. I'd think the kids would like to play 10 games? It's a fellow school in the Youngstown Diocese, it beats scheduling teams in Bellevue and Cincinnati. And...

Just because we are not playing the Ytown Catholics doesn't mean we are dodging them. More than half of our schdule can play and beat both Ursuline and Mooney, example Mooney lost to NDCL in the playoffs 17-12 and we lost to them in the regular season 24-23. So far 5 out 7 teams made the playoffs and the other two were close to making it as well so its not like we are playing a cupcake schdule . Last time I checked when we played a Ytown Catholic they couldn't score a single touchdown agaisnt us and they have been worse than last two seasons. I'm confused does Urusline or Mooney not have phones in Youngstown to call us
Old 02-10-17, 12:40 PM
All District

Quote:

I guess we will agree to disagree about the usage of dodging, but why is it that Mooney and Ursuline routinely have difficulty filling their schedules? Why is it that teams would rather play a Canadian team than them? Why do you think that CCC would rather drive to Bellevue than play either of them?

The reason is not all that difficult to imagine, and it has to do with how these schools go about assembling their teams. Both of these schools have a markedly unfair advantage and exploit this advantage, which in turn gives all parochial schools a bad name.

Youngstown City Schools are among the world in the State of Ohio, and due to this fact, both Mooney and Ursuline are able to cherry pick who they want from a HUGE population of kids. CCC has virtually NO ed choice students, as the only schools that qualify for ed choice in this area are alternative high schools. Additionally, CCC has made it a point to maintain its high admission standards which has hurt them since they are surrounded by high quality high schools.

This is the first time a long while that CCC has not had a full schedule at this point in the season. Much of that has to do with the recent success that they have had in football, but it seems that Mooney and Ursuline are routinely trying to find games. Their only option is to schedule a meatgrinder of a schedule the leaves them too banged up to be competitive in the playoffs. This is not rocket science, but just because the fans would like to see these games happen, does not mean it is good for the schools.
Old 02-10-17, 12:43 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
I'm confused does Urusline or Mooney not have phones in Youngstown to call us
They must have T-Moblie and the connection drops