Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-15-17, 03:14 PM
BulldogBob BulldogBob is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-08-11
Location: Benson Stadium
Posts: 2,286
BulldogBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I've seen a few games of theirs on TV and they were rather boring. The crowds were small and the environment was equal to that of a Summer 7-on-7 scrimmage.

From my perspective, if I want to watch great football players, I'll turn on the NFL. If I want to watch great HS football, there is plenty of that through all seven divisions in Ohio High School football. Sure, the kids may not be as fast, big, or strong, but it's still the basic community game that we've been playing for over 100 years. Community is what makes High School sports great. No matter how much money they throw at their sports, IMG Academy will never have a community that compares to even the most average fanbases in Ohio.

Good luck to the kids that go to work on their craft at these sports factories. Congratulations to all the lucky kids who get to continue to play for their communities in Ohio.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-15-17, 04:01 PM
Thurgood75 Thurgood75 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-27-10
Posts: 561
Thurgood75 is on a distinguished road
Would this be an issue with most of you if it were for academic reasons? Why is it an issue when kids pursue their dreams but not for adults. If the HC got the job at IMG or Bishop Gorman we would all be congratulating them. This kid is doing what he believes is best for HIS future not McKinley's. At the end of the day his future is in the players and families hands not the community or school
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-15-17, 04:23 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 43,067
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurgood75 View Post
Would this be an issue with most of you if it were for academic reasons? Why is it an issue when kids pursue their dreams but not for adults. If the HC got the job at IMG or Bishop Gorman we would all be congratulating them. This kid is doing what he believes is best for HIS future not McKinley's. At the end of the day his future is in the players and families hands not the community or school
I'm looking at it from the opposite perspective. IMG is bad for High School sports. Even if no one from Ohio ever went to IMG Academy, I would hope they would fail as a school. They are taking advantage of a great system for selfish reasons and hurting the overall system. If they grow and others follow their path, it will kill High School sports.

It's already happening in youth sports. A great example is the death of the local youth baseball leagues. At one time, nearly everyone played youth baseball. Today, it's a specialized sport.

I don't want to get to the point where every great player in Ohio is going to one of a handful of football academies. Then the next tier of Ohio players are going to regional football schools. While the middle and small size schools in Ohio discontinue the sport due to lack of interest. Maybe my vision of the future is wrong but I know that the IMG Academy type of schools will never be good for the overall health of High School football.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-15-17, 04:50 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 3,513
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I'm looking at it from the opposite perspective. IMG is bad for High School sports. Even if no one from Ohio ever went to IMG Academy, I would hope they would fail as a school. They are taking advantage of a great system for selfish reasons and hurting the overall system. If they grow and others follow their path, it will kill High School sports.

It's already happening in youth sports. A great example is the death of the local youth baseball leagues. At one time, nearly everyone played youth baseball. Today, it's a specialized sport.

I don't want to get to the point where every great player in Ohio is going to one of a handful of football academies. Then the next tier of Ohio players are going to regional football schools. While the middle and small size schools in Ohio discontinue the sport due to lack of interest. Maybe my vision of the future is wrong but I know that the IMG Academy type of schools will never be good for the overall health of High School football.
The one thing with football is cost. Football is not a cheap sport. It would require huge financial investment from parents if the 'team' they are playing on is drawing just a few hundred fans a game (and mostly the parents, as well).

Once you get past the upper echelon of players at the HS level, there's not a huge motivating incentive to go to a sports academy such as IMG when your prospect of getting a college scholarship is still quite good at even a lowly public small school.

After all, does anyone think ANY of those 30 IMG players that got D1 scholarships got them just because they went to IMG? That any would've been overlooked otherwise?

That's the difference to me.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-15-17, 05:35 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,172
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
After all, does anyone think ANY of those 30 IMG players that got D1 scholarships got them just because they went to IMG? That any would've been overlooked otherwise?

That's the difference to me.
Why do they go?

If we're continuing the academic analogies, some do go because of perceived better education but quite honestly many are going for prestige. I don't think it's become unacceptable to not be impressed by that.

We all tend to have a little socialist in us and retain more respect for those that put the whole above the self, those that try to use their skills and hard work to raise the team and society where chance, chanced to put them.

Leaving doesn't mean forgetting. In the LONG term, this may benefit Canton more than his staying, presuming Canton doesn't give him reason to distance himself.

Decision is made. It's in Canton McK's best and proper interest to accept and wish him the best.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-15-17, 05:56 PM
LICKING COUNTY FAN LICKING COUNTY FAN is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-24-01
Location: Buckeye Lake
Posts: 20,016
LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
First good luck to the young man.

For me, there is no way in Sam #### my son would leave his local school to attend a school like this.

I am one the bigger high school football fans I know9LOL) and I can't stand to watch IMG play.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-15-17, 06:10 PM
Egret Egret is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Posts: 3,668
Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Those of you casting negative feelings about IMG have obviously never stepped foot on the property. Unbelievable place.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-15-17, 07:00 PM
eaglepride eaglepride is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-12-02
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 3,509
eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
First good luck to the young man.

For me, there is no way in Sam #### my son would leave his local school to attend a school like this.

I am one the bigger high school football fans I know9LOL) and I can't stand to watch IMG play.
Ok, but could he play meaningful minutes, if given the opportunity?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-15-17, 07:07 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,172
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Those of you casting negative feelings about IMG have obviously never stepped foot on the property. Unbelievable place.
What's being "unbelievable" got to do with positive or negative impression?

Details? What did you see there?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-15-17, 07:09 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 43,067
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Those of you casting negative feelings about IMG have obviously never stepped foot on the property. Unbelievable place.
An analogy I like to use from time to time is a couple kids in HS that want to race cars. One has a Corvette that Dad just bought him, the other has an older sports car that he's worked on day and night and spent his hard earned money to upgrade. For me, I'm rooting for the kid that worked harder.

IMG is the Corvette in this analogy. What they do is easy. The local school is the older sports car. They work hard for what they put on the field. I could step foot on IMG's campus and be impressed by the environment but I still wouldn't respect them.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-15-17, 07:12 PM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 4,968
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
An analogy I like to use from time to time is a couple kids in HS that want to race cars. One has a Corvette that Dad just bought him, the other has an older sports car that he's worked on day and night and spent his hard earned money to upgrade. For me, I'm rooting for the kid that worked harder.

IMG is the Corvette in this analogy. What they do is easy. The local school is the older sports car. They work hard for what they put on the field. I could step foot on IMG's campus and be impressed by the environment but I still wouldn't respect them.
I don't even see it as being a high school. They attract their athletes like a college does and should be viewed as such..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-15-17, 07:54 PM
Egret Egret is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Posts: 3,668
Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
I don't even see it as being a high school. They attract their athletes like a college does and should be viewed as such..
So do the. Privates up. There. Please. Great analogy yappi.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-15-17, 08:40 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,532
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
An analogy I like to use from time to time is a couple kids in HS that want to race cars. One has a Corvette that Dad just bought him, the other has an older sports car that he's worked on day and night and spent his hard earned money to upgrade. For me, I'm rooting for the kid that worked harder.

IMG is the Corvette in this analogy. What they do is easy. The local school is the older sports car. They work hard for what they put on the field. I could step foot on IMG's campus and be impressed by the environment but I still wouldn't respect them.
So the kids at IMG don't work as hard? What an incredibly dumb statement.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-15-17, 08:41 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,532
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
I don't even see it as being a high school. They attract their athletes like a college does and should be viewed as such..
Kids still have to pass through NCAA clearinghouse. It's a high school.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-15-17, 09:06 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,172
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
So the kids at IMG don't work as hard? What an incredibly dumb statement.
His post referred to the institutions, not the kids. I see it. One institution does the "hard work" and the other cherry picks. Same as the public-private-open enroll debate points. So maybe a bit less incredibly dumb.

This is appears (from my LIMITED knowledge) essentially what IMG does, with no give back to the sourcing institution. Business is business but I don't see anything to respect there.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-15-17, 09:43 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,532
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'm not sure how the institution works hard to put kids on the field. IMG has to recruit kids. Canton gets them because they have to go to school.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-15-17, 10:04 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,172
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I'm not sure how the institution works hard to put kids on the field. IMG has to recruit kids. Canton gets them because they have to go to school.
You think IMG enrolled this kid because he "went to school?" Maybe I've got the place mischaracterized.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-15-17, 10:25 PM
jackson03 jackson03 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-03-13
Posts: 723
jackson03 is on a distinguished road
IMG is a for-profit institution with sketchy academic credentials -- it's nothing more than a high school version of ITT Tech, promising professional athletic careers but delivering them for a small fraction of the student body. To be honest I have no idea how the place is credentialed. I'm sure it's great for the students who do make a career out of athletics, but it's probably not so great for the kids who need Tommy John surgery at age 21 and are rock bottom stupid due to a total lack of education.

Shame on IMG and their entire business model.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-16-17, 06:15 AM
Egret Egret is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Posts: 3,668
Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
IMG is a for-profit institution with sketchy academic credentials -- it's nothing more than a high school version of ITT Tech, promising professional athletic careers but delivering them for a small fraction of the student body. To be honest I have no idea how the place is credentialed. I'm sure it's great for the students who do make a career out of athletics, but it's probably not so great for the kids who need Tommy John surgery at age 21 and are rock bottom stupid due to a total lack of education.

Shame on IMG and their entire business model.
Absolutely false and ZERO facts or substance to back it up. How many of these "rock bottom" stupid kids have you met? You also know they have more than football there right? You might want to do some research or better yet visit the place before you spout off.

And by the way I have no dog in this hunt. I'm just close enough to the place to know when people are making false statements about it.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-16-17, 03:59 PM
BulldogBob BulldogBob is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-08-11
Location: Benson Stadium
Posts: 2,286
BulldogBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to brag, but McKinley likely puts more players in the NFL than 99% of the high schools in America. None needed to play elsewhere to achieve this, so the IMG benefits are vastly overblown imo. All of our kids who played in the NFL graduated from college as well. Of course we wish the best for this young man. But many feel his parent's move is misguided, just the same.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 06-16-17, 06:37 PM
jackson03 jackson03 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-03-13
Posts: 723
jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Absolutely false and ZERO facts or substance to back it up. How many of these "rock bottom" stupid kids have you met? You also know they have more than football there right? You might want to do some research or better yet visit the place before you spout off.

And by the way I have no dog in this hunt. I'm just close enough to the place to know when people are making false statements about it.
IMG, by their own admission, focuses on athletics over academics. There is no shortage of complaints from former students about the quality of the education they provide. It's not a high school, it's a training camp. How it meets the standard of being considered secondary education in any form is beyond me.

I don't believe in for-profit education. Sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-16-17, 07:54 PM
mboyj03 mboyj03 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-02-04
Posts: 668
mboyj03
At the end of the day, this will most likely benefit the kid greatly in terms of athletics. Nothing against the kids on McKinley's schedule but this kid can't improve as much facing 6'0" 220 lb defensive linemen compared to 6'4 275 lb athletic freaks.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-16-17, 08:24 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,172
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyj03 View Post
At the end of the day, this will most likely benefit the kid greatly in terms of athletics. Nothing against the kids on McKinley's schedule but this kid can't improve as much facing 6'0" 220 lb defensive linemen compared to 6'4 275 lb athletic freaks.
Seen more than one DI recruit sent back on his heels by a D3 hopeful with a lower CG and a leverage advantage. I imagine that supposedly weaker competition tests the technique. The other team is going to line up their best match-up so there's that. Skill positions yeah probably without caveat.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-16-17, 08:39 PM
OHVA OHVA is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-11-14
Posts: 49
OHVA is an unknown quantity at this point
Bulldog bob .. parents misguided ?? Cmon now , he only played one year of football at mck and wasn't welcomed with open arms. By the way , he has a 3.5 gpa , 17ACT first take and fluent in speaking Spanish. Offer reardon the img job he'd leave asap .
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-17-17, 12:33 PM
19AL63 19AL63 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-21-11
Posts: 1,093
19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Congrats to this kid! Good for him for wanting to be pushed by the best talent in the country week in and week out while broadening his horizons and getting to see more of the country in one season than most on this site see in their life.
Yep will get to see a lot of the country. Inside of a average motel no doubt, maybe a couple of restaurants and a green football field that is 100 yards long and has two goal posts. Minus the average motel room and the restaurants, he gets to see about the same as every other young man that plays HS football. You really think they take time to see the sites etc? Oh I did forget the plane ride instead of a bus ride.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-19-17, 03:20 PM
BulldogBob BulldogBob is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-08-11
Location: Benson Stadium
Posts: 2,286
BulldogBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHVA View Post
Bulldog bob .. parents misguided ?? Cmon now , he only played one year of football at mck and wasn't welcomed with open arms. By the way , he has a 3.5 gpa , 17ACT first take and fluent in speaking Spanish. Offer reardon the img job he'd leave asap .
They would be misguided to send him to a place over a thousand miles from home that values athletics over education, seeing as he excels in academics. Playing in front of fewer people than does Lehman middle school would suck, also. McKinley puts more players in the NFL than your Tigers ever will, so I get your ignorance about the subject, cheesy heff 101, and all of your other many screen names.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-19-17, 03:42 PM
Egret Egret is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Posts: 3,668
Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogBob View Post
Not to brag, but McKinley likely puts more players in the NFL than 99% of the high schools in America. None needed to play elsewhere to achieve this, so the IMG benefits are vastly overblown imo. All of our kids who played in the NFL graduated from college as well. Of course we wish the best for this young man. But many feel his parent's move is misguided, just the same.
99%? Please stop. Now.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-19-17, 05:33 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,172
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
99%? Please stop. Now.
Not that extreme if you think about it, 1 out of 100. He cleverly said "in AMERICA." By far most schools never get a sniff and there's a few schools that put repeated players up the chain. McKinley would fall into the latter. Hard to verify but not so far removed from probable actual for your response.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-19-17, 06:00 PM
Egret Egret is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Posts: 3,668
Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Not that extreme if you think about it, 1 out of 100. He cleverly said "in AMERICA." By far most schools never get a sniff and there's a few schools that put repeated players up the chain. McKinley would fall into the latter. Hard to verify but not so far removed from probable actual for your response.
Yeah I guess if you look at it like that. I don't know that just seems high.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-19-17, 09:38 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 3,513
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
There is almost 17,000 high school teams in the country. If you're in the top 170, you're in the one percent.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Canton McKinley Football Season IUDOGS Football 232 06-24-17 02:40 PM
2017 Division I Schedules EagleFan Football 66 06-06-17 07:11 PM
2017 Division II Schedules EagleFan Football 31 06-06-17 07:11 PM
Massillon Tigers Athletics DB135 Massillon Tigers 15 05-30-17 01:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz