Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-16-17, 06:37 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Former NFL QB Chad Pennington: Sports specialization is 'disservice' to kids

Quote:
Former New York Jets and Miami Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington’s first love was basketball when he started playing as a third grader.

At the Webb School in Knoxville, he played high school football, basketball and baseball, although football was seen as his path to college.

Pennington is a member of USA Football’s advisory committee and runs the Central Kentucky Youth Football League in Lexington. He also has been a middle school coach.
Read more:
http://usatodayhss.com/2017/chad-pen...specialization
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-17, 09:10 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
Dr. James Andrews was on the Dan Patrick Show Wednesday talking about just this issue. He said he sees more teenage athletes when it comes to shoulder and elbow issues than he does major league players. He spoke at length that youth travel baseball is to blame. Constant repetition of the same arm movement has 14 year olds needing tommy johns surgery.
Old 06-16-17, 09:35 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
I understand a high school athlete's desire to become proficient in one sport. However, I can't imagine not participating in all the sports I liked as a teenager. Baseball was my early favorite and ended up being the sport I was least good in. Then it was football and, finally, basketball, which turned out to be my best sport - and the one I played in college. (When I went out for b-ball as a freshman, I was cut after the first practice. ) To each his own, but based on my experience, I wouldn't want to miss any of them!
Old 06-19-17, 01:14 PM
Varsity

VVTommyBoy is on a distinguished road
I went to a Catholic grade school where participation was based on behavior rather than grades ( always assumed they must have thought one led to the other ). FWIW, I made sure it wasn't an issue and I don't think I ever needed to pay much attention in later years.
Anyway, I think sports helps a lot of kids take care of business in the classroom.

I live in an area where the local school really needs kids to play multiple sports. There may be a day when the boys/girls need to specialize for their best interest at the next level and that is okay.

I also like that different sports require different muscles and such. Also less chance of burnout.
Old 06-19-17, 01:18 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
John Smoltz is good friends with a local sports talk show host down here and comes on quite frequently. He's been saying this for years that kids need to be exposed to all sports growing up. As far as Dr. Andrews, who many friends of mine have seen, I will attribute as much to youth injuries to over-zealous coaches allowing them to throw 75% curve balls when they are 11 years old to just playing one sport.
Old 06-19-17, 11:27 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
John Smoltz is good friends with a local sports talk show host down here and comes on quite frequently. He's been saying this for years that kids need to be exposed to all sports growing up. As far as Dr. Andrews, who many friends of mine have seen, I will attribute as much to youth injuries to over-zealous coaches allowing them to throw 75% curve balls when they are 11 years old to just playing one sport.
Coach would not allow pitchers to throw curves until senior year. Between fastballs and natural breaking balls, nothing else was needed. Well, maybe a changeup and good location.
Old 06-20-17, 06:09 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Coach would not allow pitchers to throw curves until senior year. Between fastballs and natural breaking balls, nothing else was needed. Well, maybe a changeup and good location.
Totally agree. I coached down here until my son went to high school. It was appalling what I saw from some of the coaches in both Little League and AAU as far as their pitchers. One team (Seminole) had a ton of studs. Four or five of them ended up with Tommy John surgery. That coach should have been banned for life from coaching.