Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-15-17, 04:27 PM
All District

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
No. For what Aquinas and Central would need it would be in the 30 to 35 million range.
You are forgetting about costs of property acquisition on which to build the school. That can be very expensive.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-17, 04:33 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
You are forgetting about costs of property acquisition on which to build the school. That can be very expensive.

Trust me, I am pretty up to speed on real estate values in Stark County. This is not Palo Alto, LOL. The costs of land acquisition would not be a significant problem here and there are several Catholic families that still own a lot of vacant land in the area. The actual building cost would be the hurdle, the land acquisition and cost would not be a problem at all.

Last edited by Summa; 06-15-17 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 04:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Ok. But I guess it is tougher to raise money for a new parochial school building than a public school building.
Correct, we can't put levies on the ballot that fail 5 times and then sneak the failed levy into a special election that no one other than the supporters are aware of. People should pay attention to public notices but they don't.
Old 06-15-17, 04:41 PM
All District

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Trust me, I am pretty up to speed on real estate values in Stark County. This is not Palo Alto, LOL. The costs of land acquisition would not be a significant problem here and there are several Catholic families that still own a lot of vacant land in the area. The actual building cost would be the hurdle, the land acquisition and cost would not be a problem at all.
But you would likely need to build in a nice area to be successful and have easy access for those wanting to attend from further away. It is easier said than done and especially for a reasonable price.

Old 06-15-17, 04:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
But you would likely need to build in a nice area to be successful and have easy access for those wanting to attend from further away. It is easier said than done and especially for a reasonable price.

I don't disagree with some other things you said, but you are just plain wrong on this point. Trust me, considering what I do, I know real estate in the Canton area.
Old 06-16-17, 06:49 AM
All District

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
"Country clubs and cemeteries are the biggest wasters of prime real estate" - Al Czervik
Old 06-16-17, 08:34 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't disagree with some other things you said, but you are just plain wrong on this point. Trust me, considering what I do, I know real estate in the Canton area.
My granddaddy told me to never trust anything said which his preceded by the statement "Trust me . . ." and always question the faithfulness of a man who is quick to tell you he is a Christian or a "religious man." Just two rules to live by, in his opinion.
Old 06-16-17, 08:37 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMan View Post
"Country clubs and cemeteries are the biggest wasters of prime real estate" - Al Czervik
Is this a cryptic message as to where the land might be available or just for a laugh? I enjoyed it, regardless of intent.
Old 06-16-17, 08:40 AM
All American

Quote:
I am not saying you are wrong but where are these 30+ acre tracts that have good access to the freeway system which would not be cost prohibitive?
Old 06-16-17, 09:16 AM
All District

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Is this a cryptic message as to where the land might be available or just for a laugh? I enjoyed it, regardless of intent.
Well I don't think we can dig up the cemeteries, but...

Tam O'Shanter - for sale.
Arrowhead - North Canton would welcome a buyer.
Skyland Pines - still for sale?
Edgewood property - develop the remainder of the property instead of Lemmon

I'm thinking more along the lines of two new small campuses, for school buildings only, to cover the areas not in the outer fringes of the Hoban/St V range. Moving away from the thinking of serving a county, more toward serving the areas where the Catholics are centered and will be for some time. Athletic facilities can remain as they are.

Are there any buildings out there that can be converted to a school (e.g the old Redicon building on Woodlawn)?

Any chance of coming under one umbrella with two campuses, similar to how GlenOak and Hoover used to operate? Yes, Hoover was split between vocational and traditional, but it was still one school.

Last edited by TriangleMan; 06-16-17 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-16-17, 01:33 PM
All American

Quote:
I'm thinking more along the lines of two new small campuses, for school buildings only, to cover the areas not in the outer fringes of the Hoban/St V range. Moving away from the thinking of serving a county, more toward serving the areas where the Catholics are centered and will be for some time. Athletic facilities can remain as they are.
Absolutely. Identify the new and likely future core constituency/constituencies and go from there when looking for the area you need to serve.

Quote:
Well I don't think we can dig up the cemeteries, but...

Tam O'Shanter - for sale.
Arrowhead - North Canton would welcome a buyer.
Skyland Pines - still for sale?
Edgewood property - develop the remainder of the property instead of Lemmon
I think the Tammy land on Fulton will turn out to be too expensive. Edgewood development is moving forward from what I understand (Walsh had the opportunity to buy that before the church did but (1) they could not afford it and (2) they did not think they would need it for decades so to tie up the limited cash for that purpose was deemed a bad idea. Skyland is a bad location IF I am properly identifying the current and likely future core constituency. Arrowhead is intriguing both in location and size.

Quote:
Are there any buildings out there that can be converted to a school (e.g the old Redicon building on Woodlawn)?
I know Holy Cross Academy examined it as a site of a west-side middle school or merged elementary school 4-5 years ago and some of those board members said it was not as "school-ready" as it appeared from the outside. Certainly a nice fašade, pretty good location between Plain/Perry/Jackson and a nice property but a lot of retrofitting would be needed. Not sure if it is still on the market.

Quote:
Any chance of coming under one umbrella with two campuses, similar to how GlenOak and Hoover used to operate? Yes, Hoover was split between vocational and traditional, but it was still one school.
I think they ought to think about that in the VERY near future but as a long term plan it is financially burdensome (the cost of maintaining two buildings) and administratively burdensome (with two campuses but not enough students or tuition dollars or revenue to justify multiple administrators, it would leave one building or the other without leadership at all times). Hoover and Glen Oak did that because they did not have space under one roof . . . not exactly our issue.
Old 06-16-17, 02:49 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Trust me, I am pretty up to speed on real estate values in Stark County. This is not Palo Alto, LOL. The costs of land acquisition would not be a significant problem here and there are several Catholic families that still own a lot of vacant land in the area.
Wow. How right you are:

http://www.landandfarm.com/search/?S...e&Auction=True