Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-14-17, 03:31 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
If you are a baller, 27 is fine for pretty much anywhere you want to go , save Ivy's and the like { Duke ? Vandy? Northwestern ? Stanford Rice ? et al }
This is the one area where I'll agree that college athletes are exploited. Some of them get into schools they wouldn't if not a stud jock, and have absolutely no chance of success in any area of study that amounts to anything.
Old 06-14-17, 03:32 PM
Junior Varsity

Jackets is on a distinguished road
The ACT is scored with a points system based on the combination of Level 1 points (classmates your son scored higher than relative to the size of their brains) and Level 2 points (the total of Level 1 points of the classmates scored higher than divided by the total number of ACT tests taken by the members of the class) For example earning a higher score than somebody who doesn't have a very large brain won't earn you a large amount of points unless they scored higher than a lot of their other classmates. On the other hand earning a higher score than somebody who has a very large brain will add a large amount of points to your ACT score. The top eight scorers from each wing of the high school face off in the playoffs at neutral sites such as the cafeteria and the gymnasium each Friday (since the ACT stopped hosing them on Saturdays starting this year) and only half the kids move on each week. This eventually leads to the school championship in the Dean's office where the top scorer earns a scholarship to Harvard. It's a complicated system but has been in use for many years. Joe Eitel has a good website where you can see how many points your son scored compared to his peers. A 27 is pretty good so I would expect him to earn a 4 or 5 seed and could potentially make a deep playoff run.
Old 06-14-17, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
I can beat that! My first grade grandson scored 25 this past year and he's promoted to 3rd grade! How about them apples?
LOVE IT!

The stain on 4Cards couch got a 30!!!!!
Old 06-14-17, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
You know, if it was your first kid and your kid was maybe the first with possibility of college, I can see the thread as legitimately naive. I'll be honest. I had NO CLUE what my ACT scores meant. They educate kids better now on what the scores mean?

Maybe give the guy a break. 27 is better than a "MAC" score. It would make you eligible for consideration at least, into most B10. Even Ivy but a long shot. Most Ivy's have a 25 percentile in the low 30's or high 20's. I don't know how narrow that band but it could possible reach to 27. Have to be a pretty special 27 outside that test I'd imagine.
Old 06-14-17, 04:19 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Kid can improve on that if he wants to bad enough even if just a point or two which can be a difference maker for some schools.

Bottom line and this is what I have told my kids for years, the harder you work and the better your academic profile is , the more " OPTIONS" you have , why limit yourself to less choices about where you can possibly go ?
Old 06-14-17, 04:21 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Are you my dad?

Also this is the best thread ever
Quiet Junior. Go hit the books.
Old 06-14-17, 06:00 PM
Freshman

Dee Lou Chanel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
My kid got a 33. He can't run, catch, throw or block.
Conversley, my son just upped his to double digits, 11!

He CAN run, catch, throw, and block.

Offers from all over the SEC.....
Old 06-14-17, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Lou Chanel View Post
Conversley, my son just upped his to double digits, 11!

He CAN run, catch, throw, and block.

Offers from all over the SEC.....
Old 06-14-17, 07:19 PM
All American

Middies97 is on a distinguished road
I enrolled my son in Lavar Ball's ACT prep course and he scored a 27---BEFORE THE TEST STARTED!!
Old 06-14-17, 08:20 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middies97 View Post
I enrolled my son in Lavar Ball's ACT prep course and he scored a 27---BEFORE THE TEST STARTED!!
Undefeated... never lost!
Old 06-14-17, 09:06 PM
Freshman

abshiresean is on a distinguished road
"Wow what a response " I didn't expect such a huge following on this thred . I didnt start it to glote on my own son. I thought this forem was an adult thing that consisted of intelligent conversation. I know how the test works and what schools look for and thats why i have always told my children education first.

When i see kids with all the talent and no grades to back it up i put the blame on the parents .

Good luck to your boys this upcoming season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-17, 09:51 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
My oldest scored a 1th!

Wow, an old school joke from the apparent dad of NCF! Well played!
Old 06-14-17, 09:58 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by abshiresean View Post
"Wow what a response " I didn't expect such a huge following on this thred . I didnt start it to glote on my own son. I thought this forem was an adult thing that consisted of intelligent conversation. I know how the test works and what schools look for and thats why i have always told my children education first.

When i see kids with all the talent and no grades to back it up i put the blame on the parents .

Before you post next time ask your "son" how to spell thread, gloat, and forum. There is a English section on the ACT.
Old 06-14-17, 10:05 PM
Freshman

abshiresean is on a distinguished road
"Lmao"

Old 06-15-17, 05:29 AM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Not a fair statement! Physical ability and mental ability are not the same. One of the best athletes I ever saw has a learning disability that kept him from getting a D1 scholarship. We are all uniquely gifted, parental influence has little to do with ability once the genes are passed out, but may have much to do about attitude or how the ability is utilized.
Old 06-15-17, 06:58 AM
All District

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
A 27 is a good score. It will get you into any state school you apply to. The average ACT at Ohio State School of Engineering is a 28.
If you are a recruited athlete and score a 25 or so with decent grades you're fine.
Old 06-15-17, 07:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
This is the one area where I'll agree that college athletes are exploited. Some of them get into schools they wouldn't if not a stud jock, and have absolutely no chance of success in any area of study that amounts to anything.
But same goes for a kid that's an accomplished artist or in many other ways. Same goes for a kid that didn't have the academic background of many other entrants but still scored above what would be expected of someone with that limited background.

What matters other than they pass the classes and that the sports programs are held with integrity? Not unsympathetic to the kid that was left out because of the position filled by a "less" qualified, most of us have been there. We go on to the next best thing and try to make our achievements there. But ACTs and GPA do not measure everything useful or indicative of success. I might at one time thought so but now I've been in front of too many students from those weaker backgrounds who are so competitive and internally driven, they catch-up and excel.
Old 06-15-17, 07:24 AM
Varsity

king kong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
Wow, an old school joke from the apparent dad of NCF! Well played!
Started back in the Huddle hay day, then to free huddle, ohiochatter and now to Yappi! Just happy some other old fart remembered that!
Old 06-15-17, 07:42 AM
All Ohio

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Is it Ok if I post my blood pressure numbers? They are the best numbers ever. No one has ever got numbers this good on the first try.
Old 06-15-17, 11:04 AM
All Region

Tom.OH is on a distinguished road
Times have changed, when I took the ACT I got a 21 in math, 19 in english. The top score was 22 in 1972.
Old 06-15-17, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan33 View Post
Before you post, next time ask your "son" how to spell thread, gloat, and forum. There is an English section in the ACT.
fyp
Old 06-15-17, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Based a conclusion upon a faulty or unfounded premise. You should head over to the Debate Forum. You'll fit right in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
Times have changed, when I took the ACT I got a 21 in Math, 19 in English. The top score was 22 in 1872.
FYP
Old 06-16-17, 12:15 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Not a fair statement! Physical ability and mental ability are not the same. One of the best athletes I ever saw has a learning disability that kept him from getting a D1 scholarship. We are all uniquely gifted, parental influence has little to do with ability once the genes are passed out, but may have much to do about attitude or how the ability is utilized.
Too often though it is the parents who don't put the emphasis on a academics. I hear all the time from parents who spend major $ on trainers, shoes, travel teams, camps, etc yet refuse to pay for tutors or ACT/SAT test prep courses.