Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 04-04-17, 09:07 PM
16B Gappit Power 16B Gappit Power is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-11-14
Location: Klinefelter Blvd.
Posts: 179
16B Gappit Power is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
I don't know about that. If my memory is right, Lebron had 150+ receiving yards in the '01 playoff game at West Branch.
Your memory is a little off. If you look at St.V's football records Lebron's best receiving game of his career was 147 against Wicliff. A guy named Tom Mcdonald had 119 as the leading receiver in the game against Central. Lebron only caught like 4 or 5 passes all game but 2 were for Td's. I remember him short arming a few passes. I remember thinking that he was definitely about done with football cause you could tell he didnt want to get hit. I don't blame him either with the nba on the horizon
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 04-04-17, 09:13 PM
Hayden Fox Hayden Fox is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-25-13
Location: With Dauber and Luther
Posts: 971
Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16B Gappit Power View Post
I dont care if he could throw the ball 100 yards. He wouldn't have started over Gliatta. You cant have a guy with that talent at receiver. A guy like that has to have the ball in his hands every play. Its The same reason Ted Ginn was a qb in high school and not a receiver. His running ability was awesome. The St. V's game everyone is talking about is where Gliatta and Warner accounted for every single offensive yard in that game. Also, I believe they did already have a very good backup qb that year. I think he actually played in the east/west game as a qb that year and he never started at Central. Maybe Slife wold have been third string and that is why he quit.


Hard to argue with what you are saying. I do know (from what I was told) that there was a lot of internal strife on that team between Vince and the WR over a girl. Many say that was a reason they didn't go back to back. Funny thing is that now she bats for the other team.

I digress.

Slife probably had the better arm but was somewhat considered a loose cannon from that year's class. I heard he flamed out playing rec league football at OU but can still throw a football like a rocket launcher.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 04-05-17, 08:45 AM
Starkbuck Starkbuck is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-30-16
Posts: 95
Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
Hate to say it and scary to think but that 2000 team could have been even better had they started Bill Slife instead of Gialatta. You talk to a lot of people in that class and they will say that Slife was a freak that could throw the ball 70+ yards but got disillusioned with the program and stopped playing. Scary to think what that CCC team could have been with Slife under center and Gialatta at WR
Regardless of his arm strength, I can guarantee you that he would not have started over Gliatta who started as a Sophomore, and is undoubtedly the best QB who ever played at CCC. Additionally, if a certain QB didn't transfer to a certain school, Gliatta would have been the undisputed number 1 QB in Stark County. Vince had several offers to play QB, but none at the level that he wanted due to his 6'1" frame. His arm strength was unbelievable, and his accuracy was even more impressive.

I honestly feel kind of bad for Vince because he played in the wrong era of football and would be, without a doubt, a top tier prospect in today's game. So, to compare him someone who didn't play beyond his sophomore year is an injustice by all accounts. Additionally, anyone who followed CCC football back then knew that you only had to throw the ball enough to keep people honest with the way Klinefelter ran the veer.
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 04-05-17, 08:49 AM
Starkbuck Starkbuck is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-30-16
Posts: 95
Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16B Gappit Power View Post
Your memory is a little off. If you look at St.V's football records Lebron's best receiving game of his career was 147 against Wicliff. A guy named Tom Mcdonald had 119 as the leading receiver in the game against Central. Lebron only caught like 4 or 5 passes all game but 2 were for Td's. I remember him short arming a few passes. I remember thinking that he was definitely about done with football cause you could tell he didnt want to get hit. I don't blame him either with the nba on the horizon
You are correct! He became gator-armed quite a bit when he was bracketed by Gliatta and Warner in addition to Curran and Harold. I also believe that Lebron knew he had the $90+ Million contract waiting for him upon graduation and that may have impacted his ability to run crossing routes.

But that St. V's team was loaded! They had the N'West studs that were asked to leave for various reasons and Romeo Travis, Si'An Cotton, Dru Joyce, and a few other high level kids. Crazy how they got shellacked the following week by Newark Licking Valley.
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 04-05-17, 09:24 AM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 17,083
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Regarding this whole greatest CCHS football team of all time debate, I'm still going with 2000. I liked their versatility. They could play any style of game and win doing it. The 2014 team was physically talented, but I can't call a team that yielded 60 points in a game the greatest in CCHS history.

It's difficult to figure where 1988 fits into the equation because, as Nino pointed out, the game was much different back then. Could they have consistently defended the passing game that has been part of the CCHS offense the past few years? I don't know one way or the other, but I do believe 2000 and 2014 had better athletes and more of them.

2016 won a gold trophy, but player for player, I would take 2014 over them. I would take the week 15 version of the 2016 squad over the week 15 version of the 2015 squad.
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 04-05-17, 11:36 AM
16B Gappit Power 16B Gappit Power is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-11-14
Location: Klinefelter Blvd.
Posts: 179
16B Gappit Power is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
Y. Crazy how they got shellacked the following week by Newark Licking Valley.
When you turn the ball over 5 or 6 times you won't beat anyone and if my memory is correct that is what did st v's in that game.

I know Lowell really wanted to have the opportunity to play Kenton and Mauk that year. He loved the challenge of trying to shut that offense down.
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 04-05-17, 11:44 AM
16B Gappit Power 16B Gappit Power is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-11-14
Location: Klinefelter Blvd.
Posts: 179
16B Gappit Power is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
Regardless of his arm strength, I can guarantee you that he would not have started over Gliatta who started as a Sophomore, and is undoubtedly the best QB who ever played at CCC. Additionally, if a certain QB didn't transfer to a certain school, Gliatta would have been the undisputed number 1 QB in Stark County. Vince had several offers to play QB, but none at the level that he wanted due to his 6'1" frame. His arm strength was unbelievable, and his accuracy was even more impressive.

I honestly feel kind of bad for Vince because he played in the wrong era of football and would be, without a doubt, a top tier prospect in today's game. So, to compare him someone who didn't play beyond his sophomore year is an injustice by all accounts. Additionally, anyone who followed CCC football back then knew that you only had to throw the ball enough to keep people honest with the way Klinefelter ran the veer.
Lowell stated at his retirement dinner that Vince was the best player he has ever coached in his career. He defined the best player and the biggest difference maker. That was Vince.
Also, afterwards at the the Klinefelters home I was overhearing some conversation between Lowell and Vince and he said he really wanted Vince to go to Ohio U. To play quarterback. He thought the coach at that time ran the perfect offense for Vince. Vince said it was just so hard to say no to JoePa and that type of figure when you are a high school kid and he is showing up for your basketball games and everything. Hindsight is always 20/20. Especially when you are young. Also, Lowell actually apologized to Vince for running him so much either in that St v's game or the entire year. I think they were talking about that game. I guess it would be comfortable for any coach to ride a guy like that who always got positive yards, it was such a safe thing to just have Vince run it and get positive yards every time.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 04-06-17, 12:21 PM
Nino Brown Nino Brown is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 481
Nino Brown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Regarding this whole greatest CCHS football team of all time debate, I'm still going with 2000. I liked their versatility. They could play any style of game and win doing it. The 2014 team was physically talented, but I can't call a team that yielded 60 points in a game the greatest in CCHS history.

It's difficult to figure where 1988 fits into the equation because, as Nino pointed out, the game was much different back then. Could they have consistently defended the passing game that has been part of the CCHS offense the past few years? I don't know one way or the other, but I do believe 2000 and 2014 had better athletes and more of them.

2016 won a gold trophy, but player for player, I would take 2014 over them. I would take the week 15 version of the 2016 squad over the week 15 version of the 2015 squad.
Well said slip...I won't say I agree...but I feel ya..would love to see that game take place. I would be drinking beers along with Cru van...blowing my horn as the boys come down that dirt road....that dirt road iconic!
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 04-06-17, 01:18 PM
Nino Brown Nino Brown is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 481
Nino Brown is on a distinguished road
In the cards of this hypothetical game, Buccuti was injured his sophomore year. His JR year he beat GO, which Klinefleter said was one of his biggest wins of his career. We all know the story. But few know that Jake did not practice the whole week. The team went to Jake said you have to play. He did. they won. He lost a rib, and the next year took the team to the title game.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 04-06-17, 04:17 PM
Ohhighschoolfb Ohhighschoolfb is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 04-26-16
Posts: 18
Ohhighschoolfb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino Brown View Post
In the cards of this hypothetical game, Buccuti was injured his sophomore year. His JR year he beat GO, which Klinefleter said was one of his biggest wins of his career. We all know the story. But few know that Jake did not practice the whole week. The team went to Jake said you have to play. He did. they won. He lost a rib, and the next year took the team to the title game.
Boccuti was one tough kid and a heck of a QB. At 6"1 200 he was basically unstoppable throwing the ball to his two 4.4 slot guys and was always a threat to pick up yards on the ground. I never saw Gliatta play in person. How does Boccuti compare to Gliatta?
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 04-06-17, 04:20 PM
andre andre is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-13-15
Posts: 119
andre is on a distinguished road
well its looks like the rivalry between CCC and CW is over for now, with Cw dropping down to D6
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 04-06-17, 05:44 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 17,083
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
well its looks like the rivalry between CCC and CW is over for now, with Cw dropping down to D6
CCC's enrollment numbers would've allowed the series to continue in DVI, but shame on CCC for having so many football players that attended St. Joan of Arc and St. Mary.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 04-07-17, 07:51 PM
Nino Brown Nino Brown is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-10-14
Posts: 481
Nino Brown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhighschoolfb View Post
Boccuti was one tough kid and a heck of a QB. At 6"1 200 he was basically unstoppable throwing the ball to his two 4.4 slot guys and was always a threat to pick up yards on the ground. I never saw Gliatta play in person. How does Boccuti compare to Gliatta?
In my opinion, Jake was comparable to Gilatta. Jake lost his his sophomore year and half of his JR year. The maturation process never took place for him. That is his is story. Gilatta was a freak that had the benifit of maturing. In my opinion, he was the best that ever that played that position. Give Jake a year and a half, we might be talking a different tune.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 04-10-17, 01:37 PM
Maple_City_Fan Maple_City_Fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-02-05
Location: NHS/St. Paul Trophy Case
Posts: 4,045
Maple_City_Fan is on a distinguished road
I'm really liking this Week 1 matchup at Bellevue Redmen. I may have to make the short trip from Norwalk to take in this game.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 04-10-17, 01:42 PM
The Veer The Veer is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-18-15
Location: Stark County
Posts: 554
The Veer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_City_Fan View Post
I'm really liking this Week 1 matchup at Bellevue Redmen. I may have to make the short trip from Norwalk to take in this game.
I am interested in this game as well. We know there is some good ball played up that way after facing Edison the past 2 seasons. CCC ran into a tough Clyde team in the past also.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 04-10-17, 02:33 PM
Maple_City_Fan Maple_City_Fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-02-05
Location: NHS/St. Paul Trophy Case
Posts: 4,045
Maple_City_Fan is on a distinguished road
I was ready to bring up Clyde as Bellevue has the same-type of athletes/football players; tough/hard-nosed, and disciplined.

Yes, I recall the Fliers beating CCC in 94 en route to Title game. Clyde won state the following year.

Bellevue was III runner-up to ASVSM in '12.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 04-10-17, 02:46 PM
The Veer The Veer is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-18-15
Location: Stark County
Posts: 554
The Veer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_City_Fan View Post
I was ready to bring up Clyde as Bellevue has the same-type of athletes/football players; tough/hard-nosed, and disciplined.

Yes, I recall the Fliers beating CCC in 94 en route to Title game. Clyde won state the following year.

Bellevue was III runner-up to ASVSM in '12.
Yeah, I recall that game as well as I was in attendance. Great Clyde teams for sure. I went to the West Branch title game as well. CCC used to scrimmage West Branch back in those times.

What do you know about Bellevue and the skilled positions to be returning?
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 04-10-17, 02:51 PM
Starkbuck Starkbuck is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-30-16
Posts: 95
Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino Brown View Post
In my opinion, Jake was comparable to Gilatta. Jake lost his his sophomore year and half of his JR year. The maturation process never took place for him. That is his is story. Gilatta was a freak that had the benifit of maturing. In my opinion, he was the best that ever that played that position. Give Jake a year and a half, we might be talking a different tune.
While I understand what you are saying and the maturation process is vital to the success of the QB, you have to also acknowledge that Vince played in a totally different system as well. While Vince was a running threat, that was the bread and butter of the offense and he was mature enough to run the veer as a sophomore and junior, but even developed further as a senior with a bit a spread. I believe, and this is only my opinion, if Vince played in the current offensive system he would have been a high level D1 recruit and we would not have this discussion period.

I have watched both of these outstanding players in person and aside from the physical build, there were not many similarities in their games. Jake had speed, but not 4.4 speed and would rather try to run over someone before leaving them in the dust. Vince was one of the most elusive runners I have ever watched as he possessed the ability to move laterally as well as anyone and could outrun the defense in a straight sprint. Additionally, Vince was a much more efficient thrower and had very good touch on his intermediate routes, where Jake was more of a fastball thrower.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 05-13-17, 05:53 PM
andre andre is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-13-15
Posts: 119
andre is on a distinguished road
Someone posted on the open weeks thread that we are playing Akron Ellet week 6. Does know if this is true or not

Last edited by andre; 05-14-17 at 08:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 06-02-17, 07:21 PM
andre andre is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-13-15
Posts: 119
andre is on a distinguished road
So who will be the new QB for the Crusaders.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 06-07-17, 07:54 AM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,074
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
So who will be the new QB for the Crusaders.
Stone Sirpilla has been the back-up for 2 years and has the most game experience. In fact, there were even rumors and on-field evidence of the rumor, that the coaching staff flirted with putting him behind center and moving Jack Murphy to WR in Week 4 or 5.

That said, I would not be shocked if they went with one of the younger Crusaders and moved Stone elsewhere on the field.

You heard anything?
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 06-08-17, 07:10 AM
Starkbuck Starkbuck is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-30-16
Posts: 95
Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
I am guessing that Stone will probably be the incumbent for QB, making this the fourth different QB in four years for this team. He does not possess the running threat that Jack or Jake did, but is more reminiscent of Dan Platek. He has a cannon for an arm and has improved his speed, but as long as he can get you a few yards on keepers he will be fine.

The one thing I have heard is the number of players coming out has steadily increased and that this offseason has been one of the most productive in the weight room. A couple of people have mentioned that there has been a significant uptick in participation, even for students in multiple sports.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 06-11-17, 11:03 AM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 11,324
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
I am guessing that Stone will probably be the incumbent for QB, making this the fourth different QB in four years for this team. He does not possess the running threat that Jack or Jake did, but is more reminiscent of Dan Platek. He has a cannon for an arm and has improved his speed, but as long as he can get you a few yards on keepers he will be fine.

The one thing I have heard is the number of players coming out has steadily increased and that this offseason has been one of the most productive in the weight room. A couple of people have mentioned that there has been a significant uptick in participation, even for students in multiple sports.
state titles do wonders for participation
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 06-13-17, 02:54 PM
TriangleMan TriangleMan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-23-15
Location: Stark County
Posts: 227
TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Starting to remove the old turf.
http://cchssports.com/2017/06/13/cen...c-gone-turfin/
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 06-13-17, 03:44 PM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,074
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMan View Post
New turf??!! Nice. Any idea what paint job they chose for it? I assume they will leave the end zones blank again but I would not mind seeing something in them. The interlocking "C"s at midfield were classic but I also thought a little too simple. I guess we will see if Coach Lindesmith keeps putting his touch on the program he inherited. Also, I will be curious to see if Lowell Klinefelter Field makes an appearance on the field itself now that he is retired and not there to object.

Either way, I say brand that field all over the place and make sure it is used night and day. Use does not wear down field turf, the elements do. Better to use it than look at it.

Last edited by Stark Born & Bred; 06-15-17 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 06-13-17, 03:48 PM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,074
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
state titles do wonders for participation
That is awesome news and I hope it is accurate. With enrollment in the 325 range, it is really tough to field teams at all three levels but there is a great benefit to doing that if you can pull it off. Mainly, it allows those undersized/not quite ripe freshmen to enjoy a year of development without being worried about needing to compete against 18 year old men at larger schools.

All that said, and strictly from a football fan perspective, I would prefer a small, talented roster to a larger, untalented one. Then again, why not be greedy and ask for both - large and talented. Time will tell what we have.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 06-13-17, 03:50 PM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,074
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
Someone posted on the open weeks thread that we are playing Akron Ellet week 6. Does know if this is true or not
Is this confirmed?
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 06-14-17, 04:38 PM
hoser hoser is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-19-13
Location: shangra-lah
Posts: 7,199
hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
state titles do wonders for participation
Uh, so does recruiting .
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 06-15-17, 10:38 AM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,074
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, so does recruiting .
Absolutely. We are flush with cash and a well-oiled recruiting machine. We bring them in from 9 different counties, pay the tuition, give them letterman's jackets and a lease on a car for the starters. I forgot about that, Hoser. My apologies.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 06-21-17, 04:39 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 17,083
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Is this confirmed?
I saw it on Ellet's Arbiter page, so yeah, game on.

Also of note, the week one opponent is a new one. The Bellevue Redmen will be facing Oak Harbor at home on 8/11 and Port Clinton on the road on 8/18 in their 2 preseason scrimmages. I saw that both on Arbiter and on Bellevue HS's website. I don't think Canton CC has traveled that far for a regular season game since '93 when they played at Mount Lebanon (PA).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
History of Baseball State Championships (1928-2016) Yappi Baseball 33 05-11-17 10:09 AM
Ohio Week 10 Schedule EagleFan St Edward Eagles 1 07-26-16 02:26 PM
Ohio Week 5 Schedule EagleFan St Edward Eagles 1 07-26-16 02:06 PM
2016 Football Schedules Yappi Football 45 04-08-16 11:40 AM
Akron City Series/Summit County Pick 'Em Week 13: The Playoff Edition North Viking Football 21 11-21-15 03:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz