Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-07-17, 08:52 AM
All Ohio

Campolongo is on a distinguished road
S.W.O.W.C.A. Coaches Classic 2017

December 16 & 17 (Sat / Sun) @ Harrison H.S.

TEAMS
1. Anderson
2. Beavercreek
3. Bethel-Tate
4. Butler
5. Centerville
6. Colerain
7. Edgewood
8. Elder
9. Fairfield
10. Goshen
11. Hamilton
12. Harrison
13. Kings
14. Lakota East
15. Lakota West
16. Lebanon
17. Little Miami
18. Loveland
19. Marysville
20. McNicholas
21. Middletown
22. Milford
23. Moeller
24. Monroe
25. Mount Vernon
26. Newport (KY)
27. Northwest (Cincinnati)
28. Norwood
29. Oak Hills
30. Princeton
31. Purcell-Marian
32. Ross
33. Ryle (KY)
34. Scott (KY)
35. Simon Kenton (KY)
36. Springfield
37. St. Xavier
38. Sycamore
39. Talawanda
40. Turpin
41. Walton Verona (KY)
42. Wayne
43. West Clermont
44. Williamsburg
45. Winton Woods
46. Worthington Kilborne

Last edited by Campolongo; 12-15-17 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-17, 12:58 PM
Junior Varsity

Down Block is on a distinguished road
I thought Lasalle was not attending this year?
Old 12-07-17, 01:50 PM
Varsity

wlpdrpat is on a distinguished road
Disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Block View Post
I thought Lasalle was not attending this year?
I thought they were attending but it isn't listed in their upcoming events schedule on their website.
Old 12-07-17, 02:51 PM
Varsity

SteveNaltnerEH01 is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to this tourney. Also, I was told naltnerrankings.com would have a nice breakdown in advance of next Saturday.
Old 12-07-17, 03:52 PM
Varsity

scrappler40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNaltnerEH01 View Post
Looking forward to this tourney. Also, I was told naltnerrankings.com would have a nice breakdown in advance of next Saturday.
Word on the street is that there will be a celebrity analyst. Can you confirm or deny this rumor? Perhaps one giant headed local college coach?
Old 12-07-17, 09:34 PM
All Ohio

white_chocolate is on a distinguished road
I believe LaSalle is sending a "B" team since they were told they had to send a team, as their varsity is out of town that week.
Old 12-07-17, 11:55 PM
All Region

Latman is on a distinguished road
Does SWOWCA have an active web page?
Old 12-08-17, 12:50 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latman View Post
Does SWOWCA have an active web page?
No.
Old 12-08-17, 07:09 AM
Varsity

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
You can follow the tournament here:

sikorasoftsystems.com
Old 12-08-17, 07:55 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
Can you list the division each team will be in? Large/Small School Teams, just wondering what the cutoff number will be. Thanks!
Old 12-08-17, 07:59 AM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
Can you list the division each team will be in? Large/Small School Teams, just wondering what the cutoff number will be. Thanks!
Wherever you are, one team below is the cutoff.
Old 12-08-17, 08:38 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
500 students was the cutoff for big/small school divisions giving us 26 big schools and 21 small.

LARGE SCHOOL
516 Anderson
1009 Beavercreek
1024 Centerville
715 Colerain
648 Elder
1169 Fairfield
1005 Hamilton
504 Kings
1053 Lakota East
921 Lakota West
698 Lebanon
590 Loveland
634 Marysville
626 Middletown
810 Milford
664 Moeller
507 Mt Vernon
883 Oak Hills
678 Princeton
844 Ryle
836 Simon Kenton
818 Springfield
1178 St. Xavier
669 Sycamore
723 Wayne
948 West Clermont

SMALL SCHOOL
192 Bethel-Tate
385 Butler
481 Edgewood
337 Goshen
418 Harrison
489 Little Miami
235 McNicholas
291 Monroe
213 Newport
370 Northwest
239 Norwood
137 Purcell Marian
336 Ross
477 Scott (KY)
401 Talawanda
415 Turpin
237 Walton Verona
126 Williamsburg
436 Winton Woods
491 Worthington Kilbourne

Last edited by Campolongo; 12-15-17 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-08-17, 11:06 PM
All Region

CincyWrestler is on a distinguished road
LaSalle going to Dvorak? And just curious why they were forced to come, there’s 47 teams, I’m sure their B team is stacked but still, has a team ever not sent their varsity to SWOWCA before? Just seems a little weird to me.
Old 12-08-17, 11:10 PM
All Region

CincyWrestler is on a distinguished road
Just looked up the answer to my first question, LaSalle and Mason are at Dvorak...awkward...hopefully we get Mason back in SWOWCA next season
Old 12-10-17, 01:39 PM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
I was told at a tournament yesterday that the LaSalle program was mentioned in this thread. I wanted to come on and explain the situation we are in. It won't change anything, but it may help to shed light on things. I took over the LaSalle position in July and in doing so, scrambled to try and put together the best schedule and staff that I could. I was fortunate to be bale to do both very quickly. I was unaware of that the previous coach had committed to attend SWOCA until I received an email October 19th, well after signing contracts and sending payment to attend other events and filling up our schedule. I spoke to a SWOCA representative about the situation along with my AD in hopes that we could resolve things. The final decision was that we had committed to the tournament and therefor could not withdraw. We were forced to pay the entry fee and so we plan to send a team to the Coaches Classic. I have the utmost respect for the organization and the tournament, but I have a responsibility to my team. The team we send to Coaches will be based on the best interest of our program.
As for Mason and LaSalle both competing at the Dvorak, I don't find it awkward. I think highly of the Mason team and have some great relationships there. I look forward to seeing them and watching them compete and wish them well this season.
My phone number is listed below if you'd like to speak in greater detail. I will not be responding on yappi.
Thanks for your time,
Coach Root
(513) 604-7433
Old 12-10-17, 03:09 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Butler is a nice addition this year.
Old 12-10-17, 03:15 PM
Varsity

wisbey is on a distinguished road
What teams have the best chance to win the tournament?
Old 12-10-17, 05:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbey View Post
What teams have the best chance to win the tournament?
Not knowing who is going at what weight, a shot in the dark would be Elder, Harrison. I also like Butler and Wayne. If kids are facebooking or twittering each other to find out whose going where can be one thing; if you have a loaded bracket that can change a team's fortune. Saying if Walton Verona's Ryan Moore goes 126lbs, instead of 132lbs, that bracket will potentially be loaded.
Old 12-10-17, 05:48 PM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmalice View Post
Not knowing who is going at what weight, a shot in the dark would be Elder, Harrison. I also like Butler and Wayne. If kids are facebooking or twittering each other to find out whose going where can be one thing; if you have a loaded bracket that can change a team's fortune. Saying if Walton Verona's Ryan Moore goes 126lbs, instead of 132lbs, that bracket will potentially be loaded.
Add Marysville.
Old 12-10-17, 07:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Add Marysville.
So if Marysville take 152( Marsh), 145( Heard), place at 160( Bates), and place at 285( Connolly) it would still not be enough to surpass the heat that Elder and Harrison has at 8- 11 weight classes and with no LaSalle( a- team) to off set the potential finish.
Old 12-10-17, 07:59 PM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So if Marysville take 152( Marsh), 145( Heard), place at 160( Bates), and place at 285( Connolly) it would still not be enough to surpass the heat that Elder and Harrison has at 8- 11 weight classes and with no LaSalle( a- team) to off set the potential finish.
I didn't say they would beat Elder but if your gonna mention Wayne as a contender, your remiss to discount Marysville. They will bring a full team and compete well. I'd be surprised ig they are not top 3.
Old 12-10-17, 08:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
I didn't say they would beat Elder but if your gonna mention Wayne as a contender, your remiss to discount Marysville. They will bring a full team and compete well. I'd be surprised ig they are not top 3.
Was looking over their squad and will be nice to have a predicted top 3 squad from the Darby District, barring no more snow storms.
Old 12-10-17, 11:27 PM
All Region

Anyone know what the seed criteria is for SWOWCA?
Old 12-11-17, 01:04 AM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
My preview can be found here: http://www.borofanohio.net/this-week
Old 12-11-17, 07:23 AM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latman View Post
Anyone know what the seed criteria is for SWOWCA?
A. Seeding committee will seed up to eight wrestlers in each weight class.

B. Seeding will be based upon the following criteria in the order listed:

1. Ohio or Kentucky State Champion

2. Ohio State Place Winner o Note for out of state teams:

a. The Ohio State Tournament series goes through three qualifying rounds on three consecutive weekends: Sectional, District and State.

b. If out of state qualifying tournaments are named diferently, please use the appropriate Ohio categories for each round when submitting seeding data.

c. During seeding, all state champions are equal. However, State and District Places for Kentucky will be treated equivalent to the Ohio District and Ohio Sectionals

d. On the seeding form, however, the State and District Places should still be listed in the State and District Place categories.

3. Ohio District place winners 1, 2, & 3 or Kentucky State place winners 2 & 3

4. Holiday Classic Champion, then place winners 2 and 3. If a team was not entered in last year’s Classic, placing in similar large holiday tournament will be considered; please provide tournament information.

5. Ohio District place winner 4, 5, & 6 or Kentucky State Place winner 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8.

6. Holiday Classic place winners 4, 5, & 6. See 4 above.

7. Ohio Sectional Champion, then place winners 2, 3, & 4; or Kentucky Regional Champion, then place winners 2, 3, & 4.

8. Ohio Junior High State place winner 1, 2, or 3 ONLY

9. Holiday Classic place winners 7 & 8. See 4 above.

10. Last Year’s Won-Lost Winning Percentage o (15 match minimum – must be at least 60%) o Varsity records only. No Junior High, Reserve, AAU or USA records please.

C. If wrestlers in the same weight class have equal criteria, the wrestler returning in the same or lower weight class will be given priority; remaining ties will be decided in favor of Div. I, then Div. II, then Div. III wrestlers (Division I is the largest schools).

D. The tournament committee will determine seeds by applying these criteria. Goal will be a minimum of eight seeds in each weight.

E. If a wrestler had an outstanding record last season, but was un
able to compete in Sectional, District, or State Tournaments because of health, injury, or other reason, he may still be considered for seeding. His coach must notify tournament managers by email.

F. Any wrestler who is seeded and changes weight class after the seed meeting may go into an open draw for bracket placing in his new weight class; however, the tournament managers retain the option to seed him in his new weight class.
Old 12-11-17, 09:34 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
I think this is the toughest this tournament has been in awhile. Good list put together by Borofan plus add in the Ky. kids and this field is absolutely loaded!!!! I can't imagine if you were to add in Western Brown, Mason and LaSalle "A" team to the mix. I know the Dvorak tourney is good, but can't imagine seeing much better competition than what you will see here--- and without having to travel too far. Props to Harrison for hosting such a big tourney. Good Luck to all teams this weekend and stay healthy my friends!
Old 12-11-17, 10:45 AM
All Region

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
A. Seeding committee will seed up to eight wrestlers in each weight class.

B. Seeding will be based upon the following criteria in the order listed:

1. Ohio or Kentucky State Champion

2. Ohio State Place Winner o Note for out of state teams:

a. The Ohio State Tournament series goes through three qualifying rounds on three consecutive weekends: Sectional, District and State.

b. If out of state qualifying tournaments are named diferently, please use the appropriate Ohio categories for each round when submitting seeding data.

c. During seeding, all state champions are equal. However, State and District Places for Kentucky will be treated equivalent to the Ohio District and Ohio Sectionals

d. On the seeding form, however, the State and District Places should still be listed in the State and District Place categories.

3. Ohio District place winners 1, 2, & 3 or Kentucky State place winners 2 & 3

4. Holiday Classic Champion, then place winners 2 and 3. If a team was not entered in last year’s Classic, placing in similar large holiday tournament will be considered; please provide tournament information.

5. Ohio District place winner 4, 5, & 6 or Kentucky State Place winner 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8.

6. Holiday Classic place winners 4, 5, & 6. See 4 above.

7. Ohio Sectional Champion, then place winners 2, 3, & 4; or Kentucky Regional Champion, then place winners 2, 3, & 4.

8. Ohio Junior High State place winner 1, 2, or 3 ONLY

9. Holiday Classic place winners 7 & 8. See 4 above.

10. Last Year’s Won-Lost Winning Percentage o (15 match minimum – must be at least 60%) o Varsity records only. No Junior High, Reserve, AAU or USA records please.

C. If wrestlers in the same weight class have equal criteria, the wrestler returning in the same or lower weight class will be given priority; remaining ties will be decided in favor of Div. I, then Div. II, then Div. III wrestlers (Division I is the largest schools).

D. The tournament committee will determine seeds by applying these criteria. Goal will be a minimum of eight seeds in each weight.

E. If a wrestler had an outstanding record last season, but was un
able to compete in Sectional, District, or State Tournaments because of health, injury, or other reason, he may still be considered for seeding. His coach must notify tournament managers by email.

F. Any wrestler who is seeded and changes weight class after the seed meeting may go into an open draw for bracket placing in his new weight class; however, the tournament managers retain the option to seed him in his new weight class.
Old 12-11-17, 12:17 PM
All Ohio

white_chocolate is on a distinguished road
Coach JDean, I will say, in my opinion, I think all local teams should go to SWOWCA, especially the better teams. I argued that to exhaustion with the rest of the staff when I was at Mason. But with that said, at Mason I coached at Dvorak twice. Top to bottom the depth of that tournament just has much better quality depth. Even if Dvorak is a little down than from normal with less nationally ranked teams than some years, it still is such a better event from a wrestling perspective, and with a nice depth of nationally ranked wrestlers. Again, I would send my team to SWOWCA, but selfishly from their perspective they see all new opponents at overall a higher level of depth in each bracket. I may be off, but I think Dvorak has about 15 nationally ranked wrestlers entered, not counting LaSalle, and this is while the tourney is a little down. SWOWCA will probably just have a kid or 2 ranked at most.

I believe Mason and LaSalle would both go to SWOWCA if it was not within a week of Dvorak. No one wants to use to use 6 of their 20 points within 7 days, and almost a third of your season is done in one week.

Last edited by white_chocolate; 12-12-17 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 12:24 PM
All American

Beaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wayne will also have the younger Hardrick at 170 and Butler should have Coyle at 170
Old 12-11-17, 12:59 PM
Varsity

KYcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaster View Post
Wayne will also have the younger Hardrick at 170 and Butler should have Coyle at 170
Mason Smith from Walton will also be 170.