Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-09-17, 06:29 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
2017 Rules Changes

Here's a summary of rules changes from the NFHS for the upcoming season. I like the change to the pass interference rule -

1-3-1h (NEW): Added that commercial advertising is not permitted on the ball.

Rationale: The ball cannot have commercial advertising added to the surface. The only permissible items on the ball are the ball manufacturer’s name and/or logo; school name, logo and/or mascot; conference name and/or logo; state association name and/or logos; and NFHS name and/or logos.

1-5-1b(3): Further clarifies that the jersey of the home team shall be a dark color clearly contrasting to the white jersey required for the visiting team.

Rationale: Home game jersey specifications were further revised to provide schools and manufacturers additional clarification regarding the current trend of utilizing lighter gray shades. The implementation date of 2021 affords schools and manufacturers the opportunity to ensure that newer dark-colored jerseys will clearly contrast with white jerseys. The requirement for contrasting colors to white is not a new rule, and this new clarification will allow changes to be made during normal replacement cycles.

1-5-1a(2) NOTE, 1-5-4: This change now permits any of the game officials to accompany the referee to meet with the head coach for equipment verification.

Rationale: Member state associations may determine the game official who is to accompany the referee during the required pre-game meeting with each head coach.

2-3-10 (NEW), 9-4-3n (NEW), 9-4 PENALTY: Added a new definition for a blindside block and specifies a penalty for an illegal blindside block.

Rationale: Continuing with the focus on risk minimization, the committee created a definition for a blindside block. This block involves contact by a blocker against an opponent who, because of physical positioning and focus of concentration, is vulnerable to injury. Unless initiated with open hands, it is a foul for excessive and unnecessary contact when the block is forceful and outside of the free-blocking zone.

2-16-2h: Clarified that illegal participation fouls by the receiving team occurring during the kick are now enforced under post-scrimmage kick fouls.

Rationale: Illegal participation fouls by the receiving team occurring during the kick are now enforced under post-scrimmage kick fouls. Illegal substitution and illegal participation fouls by the receiving team occurring at the snap continue to be enforced from the previous spot.

2-24-10 (NEW), 6-1-11 (NEW), 6-1 PENALTY: Added a new definition for a pop-up kick and specifies a penalty for a pop-up kick.

Rationale: Continuing with the committee’s efforts to minimize risk, a pop-up kickoff has been defined. A pop-up kick is a free kick in which the kicker drives the ball immediately to the ground, the ball strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of a ball kicked directly off the tee. Such kicks will be penalized as a dead-ball free-kick infraction.

2-32-16: Expands the definition of a defenseless player by incorporating specific examples.

Rationale: The committee adopted specific examples of a defenseless player. By adding these examples, the committee continues to focus on risk minimization and responded to requests on the annual NFHS football rules questionnaire from participating coaches, game officials and state association representatives.

3-4-7 (NEW): Added a new option to the offended team to start the clock on the snap for an accepted penalty inside the last two minutes of either half.

Rationale: The committee added an option for the offended team on an accepted penalty inside the last two minutes of either half. The referee continues to have the authority to start or stop the clock if a team attempts to conserve or consume time illegally.

4-2-2l (NEW): Specifies that the ball is declared dead if a prosthetic limb comes completely off the runner.

Rationale: With this change, the ball becomes dead when a prosthetic limb comes completely off the runner.

7-1-6: Now stipulates that it is encroachment to strike the ball or the snapper’s hand/arm prior to the snapper releasing the ball.

Rationale: Defensive players are restricted from contacting the ball or the snapper’s hand(s) or arm(s) until the snapper has released the ball.

7-5-10: Removes non-contact face guarding from the pass interference restrictions.

Rationale: This change eliminates the previous foul for non-contact face guarding forward-pass interference.

2017 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

Responsibility on Players to Avoid Illegal Contact
Illegal Helmet Contact
Sideline Management and Control, Professional Communication Between Coaches and Game Officials
Proper Enforcement of Penalties for Violations of the Equipment Rules

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource...-changes-2017/
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-17, 08:58 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Was their actually a case where this happened???

4-2-2l (NEW): Specifies that the ball is declared dead if a prosthetic limb comes completely off the runner.

Rationale: With this change, the ball becomes dead when a prosthetic limb comes completely off the runner.
Old 07-09-17, 09:09 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
Was their actually a case where this happened???

With determined kids like this one (http://www.today.com/parents/double-...otball-t102691), I guess it could.
Old 07-09-17, 09:17 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
I like 7-5-10: Removes non-contact face guarding from the pass interference restrictions.

With all the rules favoring passing the ball, it's good to see a rule going the other way.
Old 07-10-17, 02:17 AM
All District

NLLBEST is on a distinguished road
3-4-7 is the best rule added. I always hated the fact that a team trying to run out the clock at the end of the game could literally tell every player to hold the defense on 3rd down to try and run for the 1st, if the defense accepted the penalty (if one was called) the offense would then run about 30+ seconds off the clock before ever facing a fourth down. Honestly I'm surprised I didn't see teams use this strategy often.
Old 07-10-17, 06:27 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLLBEST View Post
Honestly I'm surprised I didn't see teams use this strategy often.
Probably because most coaches spend their time trying to figure out how to get the first down instead of trying to figure out how they can cheat. Just my opinion.
Old 07-10-17, 06:31 AM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
Couldn't they just hand the ball up the middle and kill those same 30 seconds before 4th down?
Old 07-10-17, 07:25 AM
All Ohio

Carrolldad is on a distinguished road
A few years back, a Dayton team had a player with no legs. He ran on his hands. He also wrestled. I remember the refs not allowing him to play because he was not wearing the required knee pads.
Old 07-10-17, 08:21 AM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
2-32-16, are these examples out?
Old 07-10-17, 08:31 AM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
...doesn't this happen on every on-side kick?...

-24-10 (NEW), 6-1-11 (NEW), 6-1 PENALTY: Added a new definition for a pop-up kick and specifies a penalty for a pop-up kick.

Rationale: Continuing with the committee’s efforts to minimize risk, a pop-up kickoff has been defined. A pop-up kick is a free kick in which the kicker drives the ball immediately to the ground, the ball strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of a ball kicked directly off the tee. Such kicks will be penalized as a dead-ball free-kick infraction
Old 07-10-17, 09:09 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post

-24-10 (NEW), 6-1-11 (NEW), 6-1 PENALTY: Added a new definition for a pop-up kick and specifies a penalty for a pop-up kick.

Rationale: Continuing with the committee’s efforts to minimize risk, a pop-up kickoff has been defined. A pop-up kick is a free kick in which the kicker drives the ball immediately to the ground, the ball strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of a ball kicked directly off the tee. Such kicks will be penalized as a dead-ball free-kick infraction
I was wondering about this also. Does it mean any on-side kickoff that hits the ground immediately and goes over a certain height? Does it matter if the kick goes forward, or angles toward the sideline? Or how far forward the ball travels in the air?

The rationale of risk-minimization here seems to be ludicrous. This reminds of a rule change in OSU intramural flag football in 1980, they told us we couldn't leave our feet to catch a pass unless we landed on our feet, and they told us we couldn't jump up to block a FG attempt. Reason? We might get hurt!

IMO, this is overkill. I can see a direct line from this to eventually mandating an illegal throwing infraction (or an automatic incomplete pass ruling) if a QB throws a Hail Mary tip-drill pass in the endzone on a last-second attempt to win the game. Six guys jumping in the air and diving for a football? They might get hurt!

Last edited by Zunardo; 07-10-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-10-17, 09:26 AM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Much of this has been covered in a previous thread.

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300179
Old 07-10-17, 09:42 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
No, not very often really. Most onside kicks kind of dribble along on the ground, or bounce end-over-end two or three times before they bounce up. Both of those are still legal.

There are officials that are confused right now as well. That is why there are mandatory preseason meetings, with video.
Old 07-10-17, 09:47 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
I was wondering about this also. Does it mean any on-side kickoff that hits the ground immediately and goes over a certain height?
Not a specific height, no. It's the type of kick that immediately hits the ground one time and rebounds high in the air.

Quote:
Does it matter if the kick goes forward, or angles toward the sideline?
It does not matter. But this type of kick is always angled toward the sideline.

Quote:
Or how far forward the ball travels in the air?
No.

Last edited by chs1971; 07-10-17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 12:23 PM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
No, not very often really. Most onside kicks kind of dribble along on the ground, or bounce end-over-end two or three times before they bounce up. Both of those are still legal.

There are officials that are confused right now as well. That is why there are mandatory preseason meetings, with video.
,,,Thanks for the clarification, I'm sure this will have fans screaming yes year on both sides of the situation anyways
Old 07-10-17, 01:24 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
"2-3-10 (NEW), 9-4-3n (NEW), 9-4 PENALTY: Added a new definition for a blindside block and specifies a penalty for an illegal blindside block.

Rationale: Continuing with the focus on risk minimization, the committee created a definition for a blindside block. This block involves contact by a blocker against an opponent who, because of physical positioning and focus of concentration, is vulnerable to injury. Unless initiated with open hands, it is a foul for excessive and unnecessary contact when the block is forceful and outside of the free-blocking zone
."

This one is interesting and I could see it taking some time for kids to adjust to. I am generally against rules that do nothing but soften the game, but I am in favor of this one. These are generally the most brutal type hits in the game. While legal, I think they frequently amount to cheap shots, as it is really not at all difficult to blast someone who is not looking. Invariably it is the kid hustling down in punt coverage that gets blasted, not the kid standing around. I'm sure others will disagree. Feel free to flame on.
Old 07-10-17, 03:02 PM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
"2-3-10 (NEW), 9-4-3n (NEW), 9-4 PENALTY: Added a new definition for a blindside block and specifies a penalty for an illegal blindside block.

Rationale: Continuing with the focus on risk minimization, the committee created a definition for a blindside block. This block involves contact by a blocker against an opponent who, because of physical positioning and focus of concentration, is vulnerable to injury. Unless initiated with open hands, it is a foul for excessive and unnecessary contact when the block is forceful and outside of the free-blocking zone
."

This one is interesting and I could see it taking some time for kids to adjust to. I am generally against rules that do nothing but soften the game, but I am in favor of this one. These are generally the most brutal type hits in the game. While legal, I think they frequently amount to cheap shots, as it is really not at all difficult to blast someone who is not looking. Invariably it is the kid hustling down in punt coverage that gets blasted, not the kid standing around. I'm sure others will disagree. Feel free to flame on.
As an ex defensive player it's about time! I always loved the hypocrisy that on an interception the defensive players are not allowed to cut block, but the O could cut all over the place, this was in college btw.
Old 07-11-17, 02:25 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
A penalty for a Pop-up kick on kick-offs? Are you kidding me. That rule is pathetic. It's and awesome tool for teams doing an on-side kick. An on-side kick is an on-side kick. Who cares how its executed. And the ball bounces in very unique ways. So method A is legal, but method B (pop-up kick) is illegal. Before you know it, they will put a rule in about the height of a punt. If its too high, it's a penalty. Someone has a screw loose.
Old 07-11-17, 04:23 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
A penalty for a Pop-up kick on kick-offs? Are you kidding me. That rule is pathetic. It's and awesome tool for teams doing an on-side kick. An on-side kick is an on-side kick. Who cares how its executed. And the ball bounces in very unique ways. So method A is legal, but method B (pop-up kick) is illegal. Before you know it, they will put a rule in about the height of a punt. If its too high, it's a penalty. Someone has a screw loose.
You can still pop a kick up into the air and have a legal kick. The reason why it is legal is that it is illegal (Kick Catch Interference) for any member of the kicking team to contact the ball before it touches the ground. In addition, the receiver of this kick has protection as well.

The kick that is driven straight into the ground and up into the air is the kick that is now illegal. This prohibition removes the doubt as to whether or not the ball is free (as it was if it was kicked into the ground) or prohibited from being touched by the kickers until it went 10 yards, was touched by a receiver, or touched the ground.

A great move on the committee's part as it removes the vulnerability of the receiver while he is receiving the ball.

Last edited by AllSports12; 07-11-17 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 04:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
2-32-16, are these examples out?
ART. 16 . . . A defenseless player is a player who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to injury. A player who initiates contact against a defenseless player is responsible for making legal contact. When in question, a player is defenseless.

Examples of defenseless players include, but are not limited to:

a. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;

b. A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner;

c. The intended receiver of a pass in the action during and immediately following an interception or potential interception;

d. A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;

e. A kickoff or punt returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner;

f. A player on the ground including a runner who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feet-first;

g. A player obviously out of the play or not in the immediate vicinity of the runner; and

h. A player who receives a blindside block with forceful contact not initiated with open hands.
Old 07-11-17, 05:43 PM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
ART. 16 . . . A defenseless player is a player who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to injury. A player who initiates contact against a defenseless player is responsible for making legal contact. When in question, a player is defenseless.

b. A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner;

c. The intended receiver of a pass in the action during and immediately following an interception or potential interception;

d. A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;

e. A kickoff or punt returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner;

f. A player on the ground including a runner who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feet-first;

g. A player obviously out of the play or not in the immediate vicinity of the runner; and

h. A player who receives a blindside block with forceful contact not initiated with open hands.
So it is a penalty to hit the QB when he is throwing the ball ... this is wrong!
Old 07-11-17, 06:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
So it is a penalty to hit the QB when he is throwing the ball ... this is wrong!
You forgot the first part....... (I bolded the very important part...... which hasn't changed)

"A player who initiates contact against a defenseless player is responsible for making legal contact."

You can hit a defenseless player, however if you do, the contact must be legal.
Old 07-11-17, 10:50 PM
All Region

FossyWriter8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Reminds me of when I saw an NFL player flagged for roughing the passer on a sack several years ago. The quarterback never threw the ball.
Old 07-12-17, 08:50 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossyWriter8 View Post
Reminds me of when I saw an NFL player flagged for roughing the passer on a sack several years ago. The quarterback never threw the ball.
Not possible in HS as he does not meet the definition of a passer.....

and again, it is legal to hit a "defenseless player", as long as the contact is initiated legally.
Old 07-13-17, 03:56 AM
All World

Quote:
Not possible in HS as he does not meet the definition of a passer.....

and again, it is legal to hit a "defenseless player", as long as the contact is initiated legally.
This makes no sense ... Because illegal contact was already illegal ... I read somewhere where "legal contact" is initiated on a defenseless player is only with an open hand ... so you can grab ... but not tackle(hit) them.
Old 07-13-17, 04:05 AM
All World

Quote:

."

I agree ... I am just worried that ANY hard hit will be called illegal now.
Old 07-13-17, 06:33 AM
Freshman

ohsaa1 is on a distinguished road
Time to replace people

Quote:

It is time to get rid of the fools making these rules! No gang tackling??? No hitting receiver while he's in air catching the ball??? Have to use your hands to "Hit"??? No hitting a receiver after an interception??? The people responsible for these rules are trying to make the "non" football community happy. It is "FOOTBALL" play it the way it should be played or don't play it or don't let your kid play!!! You people are literally ruining the game and I would go as far to say you are the same people that make excuses for you children and turning them into irresponsible adults and ruining this country!!!
sorry for bad grammar or spelling or punctuation.
Old 07-13-17, 07:55 AM
All World

Quote:
I read somewhere where "legal contact" is initiated on a defenseless player is only with an open hand ... so you can grab ... but not tackle(hit) them.
I can assure you that this is not stated in the rule book.
Old 07-13-17, 07:57 AM
All World

Quote:

."

Oregon has had this implemented for two years now.

It's worked beautifully as the coaches are now teaching to this rule and the officials are enforcing the rule when violated.

While there is always some hesitation to change, this is a good change and is happening at all levels.
Old 07-13-17, 08:03 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsaa1 View Post
It is time to get rid of the fools making these rules! No gang tackling??? No hitting receiver while he's in air catching the ball??? Have to use your hands to "Hit"??? No hitting a receiver after an interception??? The people responsible for these rules are trying to make the "non" football community happy. It is "FOOTBALL" play it the way it should be played or don't play it or don't let your kid play!!! You people are literally ruining the game and I would go as far to say you are the same people that make excuses for you children and turning them into irresponsible adults and ruining this country!!!
sorry for bad grammar or spelling or punctuation.
The people who have implemented these rules have been presented volumes of data justifying the need for the change. People who ware complaining about the changes are uneducated as to why the change is being made...... or just want to gripe about authority.

Football was not designed to be played from the shoulders up. The game gravitated to this in part by the glamorization of violent hits in areas originally not intended.......

Want to see violent hits that are acceptable as intended by the nature of the game?..... Go watch a rugby match. >>> Textbook execution of tackling.