Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-10-17, 10:50 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
United forcibly removes passenger on overbooked flight

https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-pa...134930951.html

I did not have a problem with United enforcing their dress code for passengers on free flights. However, I DO have a problem with this incident.

- if you know the flight is overbooked, why did you seat the passengers BEFORE asking for volunteers? Once my butt is in a seat that I paid for, that's where you should leave it.

- how do crew members who need to travel trump the rights of paying passengers who already have an assigned seat?

- if you're willing to pay $800 to a passenger to give up their seat for "crew members", why not pay for a ticket on another airline to get your employees to the same destination, or charter a private flight if they're that critical?

I'm not a legal expert or a betting man, but I'd hazardous a guess that United is going to be paying through the nose on this one - which means United will probably be exonerated.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-17, 10:55 AM
Cooling Off

Possessed is an unknown quantity at this point
I just read about this not more than 10 minutes ago. Pretty much BS. The article I read said they only got up to $400. I'm with you though... they make those announcements before boarding, should have sorted it out there but I really think they should never bump a customer for their employees. You're logistics failure is your problem... not anyone else's.
Old 04-10-17, 11:00 AM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
Foolish decisions by United staff here. Paid ticket, with a seat assignment, and in the seat and you want to bounce them for employees? Crazy. No one took the $800, THEN TRY $1000.
Old 04-10-17, 11:40 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
People should know the law. You can get up to 4x the ticket value, in cash, capped at $1,300 if you are involuntarily bumped and you have to wait 2+ (domestic, 4+ for international) hours to reach your FINAL destination.
Old 04-10-17, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
How many phone calls do you think the good doctor received from attorneys after the videos?
Old 04-10-17, 12:04 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
If the ticket sale isn't a contract, certainly a boarding pass is.
Old 04-10-17, 12:08 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
How many phone calls do you think the good doctor received from attorneys after the videos?
You called it before I could. I predict a settlement somewhere in the million dollar range.
Old 04-10-17, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised that after the public backlash over the leggings incident, United's corporate management didn't immediately undertake a sweeping review of all their boarding policies.

That said, is anyone really going to avoid flying United over this? I look for the best value on my flights. Beyond factoring in things like baggage costs, brand is essentially trivial to my bookings.
Old 04-10-17, 12:49 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
I'm surprised at the sympathy on here for this guy. He got bumped from his flight and was asked to leave. Why didn't he leave on his own?
Old 04-10-17, 01:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
That said, is anyone really going to avoid flying United over this? I look for the best value on my flights. Beyond factoring in things like baggage costs, brand is essentially trivial to my bookings.
Looking for flights for a business trip as we speak. Will likely fly United as its coming up the cheapest so far with the best flight options. Company policy dictates we flight by fare price, within a given range of the cheapest available flight. Right now, United is ahead.

But I do try to avoid American whenever possible due to some really bad experiences with them recently.
Old 04-10-17, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

I read somewhere that he was a doctor who had a morning booked with a lot of patient appointments. Consequenlt he had to make the trip that night.
Old 04-10-17, 01:05 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Looking for flights for a business trip as we speak. Will likely fly United as its coming up the cheapest so far with the best flight options. Company policy dictates we flight by fare price, within a given range of the cheapest available flight. Right now, United is ahead.

But I do try to avoid American whenever possible due to some really bad experiences with them recently.
Make sure you take your shoes and headgear! You might just need em!
Old 04-10-17, 01:05 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-pa...134930951.html

I did not have a problem with United enforcing their dress code for passengers on free flights. However, I DO have a problem with this incident.

- if you know the flight is overbooked, why did you seat the passengers BEFORE asking for volunteers? Once my butt is in a seat that I paid for, that's where you should leave it.

- how do crew members who need to travel trump the rights of paying passengers who already have an assigned seat?

- if you're willing to pay $800 to a passenger to give up their seat for "crew members", why not pay for a ticket on another airline to get your employees to the same destination, or charter a private flight if they're that critical?

I'm not a legal expert or a betting man, but I'd hazardous a guess that United is going to be paying through the nose on this one - which means United will probably be exonerated.
United will essentially give you a free ticket for a future flight if you give up your seat. You have to redeem it within 12 months and something like 95% of them are not ever redeemed. So the short answer is that they hand out "checks" when they know 95% of them won't be cashed.

United looks pretty bad.
Old 04-10-17, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I'm surprised at the sympathy on here for this guy. He got bumped from his flight and was asked to leave. Why didn't he leave on his own?
Probably because we have all experienced bad situations with airlines in the past. Even though I don't necessarily feel sorry for the guy because he did choose his course of action here.

But I do find it BS when paying customers are bumped to make way for crew members. It seems to me that it shouldn't be that hard to allot for a certain number of seats on flights for crew and then not to overbook the flight too.

Is it true that airlines frequently overbook flights as a gamble that a certain % of passengers miss flights (cancel, connections, changes, etc.) to keep flights full?
Old 04-10-17, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
He got bumped while already seated, as I understand it. Make any difference to you ?

Once I'm past the check-in and walking down, it's my seat.

How did they decide that he was the one to be displaced ? Did they solicit other takers to be bumped, or just let him board and say, "You're f__ed. Get off." I've never heard of it going that way, ever.
Old 04-10-17, 01:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
United will essentially give you a free ticket for a future flight if you give up your seat. You have to redeem it within 12 months and something like 95% of them are not ever redeemed. So the short answer is that they hand out "checks" when they know 95% of them won't be cashed.

United looks pretty bad.
Count me in that group. Twice. Gave up a seat because I knew I had personal travel coming up and wanted to use the voucher to cover my ticket. It was impossible to redeem the ticket because not all the legs were on that particular airline but one of their codeshare partners. I couldn't find an all United option that was going to work. And they weren't willing to help me even though I helped them.

Another time, it was pretty clear that I was going to get bumped no matter what. I was flying with my boss and because he checked in right after me I knew he would end up with my seat. So I took the voucher and my boss got to go home. Strategic on my part. But didn't use the voucher because didn't have a need in 12 months.
Old 04-10-17, 01:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Make sure you take your shoes and headgear! You might just need em!
I'll just make sure someone is video taping so I can hit the jackpot baby!

Those cops on the plane looked way younger and in much better shape than me anyway. I don't need a video of me getting worked over on a plane hitting the internet.
Old 04-10-17, 01:20 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
I read somewhere that he was a doctor who had a morning booked with a lot of patient appointments. Consequenlt he had to make the trip that night.
Interesting that he is a doctor. Just curious whether any of his appointments in the past ran a little late? Wonder if any of his patients threw a similar fit?

Sorry, his profession doesn't give him more or less rights than any other person on the plane. Kind of ironic that he comes from a profession that is notorious for making their customers wait...
Old 04-10-17, 01:23 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
He got bumped while already seated, as I understand it. Make any difference to you?
Not really. I have sympathy for the guy up to the point he decided he made the rules, but the airline controls who flies and who doesn't.

Quote:
Maybe in your mind, but it's really not.

Quote:
How did they decide that he was the one to be displaced ? Did they solicit other takers to be bumped, or just let him board and say, "You're f__ed. Get off." I've never heard of it going that way, ever.
Per the article...

Quote:
United had overbooked the flight and was looking for four volunteers to leave the plane in order to send four United crew members to Louisville. Passengers were allowed to board and United offered $800 to anyone who gave up their seat, but when there were no volunteers, United said a computer would randomly select four passengers.
Old 04-10-17, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not really. I have sympathy for the guy up to the point he decided he made the rules, but the airline controls who flies and who doesn't.

Maybe in your mind, but it's really not.

Per the article...
They would have had to forcibly remove me as well. I would have a call in to my attorney long before any free-lancers figured out how to solicit me.

They would have been better off paying passage to transport that crew on a competing airline.
Old 04-10-17, 01:51 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
They should've handled it before boarding the plane. Even if they still ended up just picking four people. That would have avoided this all-together or at least made a mess easier for the PR folks to clean up. I have no idea why it seemed easier to them to allow people to board the plane then have to go remove them.
Old 04-10-17, 01:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Yeah right. Any doctor I've seen was perfectly fine with making me wait or rescheduling me.
Old 04-10-17, 01:54 PM
All World

Quote:
He got bumped while already seated, as I understand it. Make any difference to you ?

They asked for any volunteers, from what I've read. No one said they would. So they bumped others. Like I said, guy could have gotten a voucher + 4x the cost of the ticket in cash.
Old 04-10-17, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
They asked for any volunteers, from what I've read. No one said they would. So they bumped others. Like I said, guy could have gotten a voucher + 4x the cost of the ticket in cash.
I think acting like a child and being drug off the plane while being videoed was the much better route to go.
Old 04-10-17, 02:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
They should've handled it before boarding the plane. Even if they still ended up just picking four people. That would have avoided this all-together or at least made a mess easier for the PR folks to clean up. I have no idea why it seemed easier to them to allow people to board the plane then have to go remove them.
Yes. It's been several years since I have experienced this but they always seemed to handle it before anyone got on the plane. Even to the point of saying something to the effect of "we are unable to begin boarding this flight because we are overbooked...". Voluntarily or involuntarily. I think to avoid a situation like this probably.
Old 04-10-17, 02:28 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
I fly a lot (2M miles on Delta and hundreds of thousands on other airlines). If I don't have a pressing engagement, I'll sell my seat for a voucher or guaranteed upgrade, etc. about once or twice per year.

Things happen, I've been stuck for hours on the runway, delayed for a couple of days flying into or out of some location, had my luggage lost twice, and have lost my patience and gotten angry before.

Having said that, I feel that once I am on the aircraft and seated, any additional passenger issues becomes the problem of the airline, not anyone on the plane. Once you are seated, I think you have negotiating ability for what you will get for waling off the plane. If the airline stops bidding up the amount to be paid for giving up a seat, I would have no problem letting some passenger offer money for people to give up their seat outside of the airline. At that point you can find out just how inconvenienced someone really is.

I don't think he's entitled to a seat, I don't think the airline is liable for his misjudgment in whether or not he could have remained seated. I certainly don't see a million dollars heading his way, the airline will probably refund his money and give him a free trip anywhere they fly, give him some points and an apology.
Old 04-10-17, 02:35 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
... but I'd hazardous a guess that United is going to be paying through the nose on this one - which means United will probably be exonerated.
If United is exonerated why would they pay through the nose too?
Old 04-10-17, 03:02 PM
All Yappi

Also just saw on the news that the "air cops" drew blood in removing the passenger. Ding, ding, ding, more $$$ for the passenger.
Old 04-10-17, 03:08 PM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Poor guy. What a nightmare for United.
Old 04-10-17, 03:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Poor guy.
*PretendsToBeShocked.gif*

Display Modes Rate This Thread